Black Watch cabin 4052?

comcox

Has anyone sailed in cabin 4052 on the Black Watch? It looks like it is next to a staircase of somesort. I wandered whether is was quiet? It appears to be the only solo cabin mid-ship.

Not been in that cabin, but it is a staircase next to it and one that is used very little, as all the major lounges/bars come out into the stairwells by the lifts. It is below the shops as well which should be ideal neighbours.

Looking at the ship's plan it is either above a cabin or possibly white space. but even if that white space is a stewards 'cubby hole' you are not likely to get any noise/vibration throughout the night, as a cabin further back could have.

Personally I would prefer that location to further back on the ship.

Edited by tring

Good luck with it, but if not I am sure you will still enjoy the cruise, at least your current cabin is to the front end of that rear group of cabins so could be the best of that batch. Sea sickness tabs usually knock me out, so I tend to take them if I have really big problems, and they will try to accomodate you elsewhere on the ship if it is really bad when you get onboard.

This morning we have just booked a cruise with Voyages of Discovery for Sept/Oct this year on a last minute basis, so are keeping our fingers crossed the cabin will be OK. We normally book early to be sure of what we want, but for this cruise and price it is one worth trying. Fly cruise Istanbul to Piraeus with 10 days in various ports and just two sea days. The weather should be good, yet not too hot at that time of year as well.

How can you tell we do not like our house that much?

Cheers,

Barbara

Edited by tring

Isn't 4071 an inside double ?

Or have you been assigned it as double for single occupancy. As I wouldn't have thought there was much difference in position.

You are perfectly right, but the OP initially posted on another thread that the cabin assigned was 4107, which is a single cabin and is marked as subject to noise/vibration in Fred's booking system.

I assume it has just been miss typed as 4071 here, but if not, I would agree with you entirely and would just keep the original cabin.

Hopefully comcox will see this and double check the cabin numbers concerned.

Not surprised 4107 is marked as subject to vibration and noise. White spaces all around it, near the back and second deck up.

But saying that cabin positions v vibration can be really random.

On the Boudica last year our original cabin that we booked turned out to have vibration that I could pick up, yet we had previously been in a cabin three doors away which was perfect. That's why we choose it.

They moved us up one deck and three cabins along and that cabin was perfect. Fred were great about the move, the new cabin was an outside and they didn't charge for the upgrade.

You are perfectly right, but the OP initially posted on another thread that the cabin assigned was 4107, which is a single cabin and is marked as subject to noise/vibration in Fred's booking system.

I assume it has just been miss typed as 4071 here, but if not, I would agree with you entirely and would just keep the original cabin.

Hopefully comcox will see this and double check the cabin numbers concerned.

Yep, that was a mistype. Current assignment is 4107.

Good luck with it, but if not I am sure you will still enjoy the cruise, at least your current cabin is to the front end of that rear group of cabins so could be the best of that batch. Sea sickness tabs usually knock me out, so I tend to take them if I have really big problems, and they will try to accomodate you elsewhere on the ship if it is really bad when you get onboard.

This morning we have just booked a cruise with Voyages of Discovery for Sept/Oct this year on a last minute basis, so are keeping our fingers crossed the cabin will be OK. We normally book early to be sure of what we want, but for this cruise and price it is one worth trying. Fly cruise Istanbul to Piraeus with 10 days in various ports and just two sea days. The weather should be good, yet not too hot at that time of year as well.

How can you tell we do not like our house that much?

Cheers,

Barbara

Good luck with Voyages of Discovery. We had heard so many good things about them but on our Indian Ocean/Africa cruise last winter we were really disappointed. Apparently the company had been bought a while before and lots of cost cutting measures went into effect including closing down the original office and laying off much of the very good staff. The consolidated office was terrible. We had so little information on board, mis-information, etc. Poor shore tour staff were worked to death trying to compensate for all the mistakes. And reception often did not have answers fro questions. Several passengers disembarked saying "never again."

Good luck with Voyages of Discovery. We had heard so many good things about them but on our Indian Ocean/Africa cruise last winter we were really disappointed. Apparently the company had been bought a while before and lots of cost cutting measures went into effect including closing down the original office and laying off much of the very good staff. The consolidated office was terrible. We had so little information on board, mis-information, etc. Poor shore tour staff were worked to death trying to compensate for all the mistakes. And reception often did not have answers fro questions. Several passengers disembarked saying "never again."

That is bad news, I did not know the company had been taken over. We have travelled on Swan before and they have been perfectly organised in every way, especially with their shore tours that are mostly included in the price, but they (and their staff) do come from different origins than VOD, even though they are run by the same organisation now, so their close knit 'family' of core staff may have remained. We have partly booked this one to try out the ship as we have often looked at going on a cruise to far reaching parts of the world with them, so it is good we are doing a trial. We were booked on a very detailed full circle Black Sea fly cruise last year, but cancelled after we lost three ports in Crimea and even the overnight in Odessa was looking iffy. This cruise will replace Istanbul and my husband's chance to go to Troy from that cancelleation. We were impressed that we were allowed to cancel the Black Sea with a refund though.

Both those companies and Fred probably get much of their custom from people who want the unusual itineraries, rather than the mass destinations, so we have to take the bad with the good or do a different type of cruise or land holiday. Or perhaps even pay up and go with one of the upmarket cruise companies that have the smaller modern ships and pay the price - that does have an appeal in some respects.

There are only two trips we intend to do, so if we are in a very bad cabin, we can have a bit of a nap at times when the ship is in port and with the price paid we will not feel that bad about missing port time on this one.

We had quite a lot of issues with the shore tour staff and tours on Black Watch to Canada, but the staff and tours we did in Greenland from Boudicca last year were fine. I am doing a review of our Canada cruise and the ports which will hopefully appear in a week or so in the review section of this site.

Cheers,

Barbara

Edited by tring