House Spirits

Jakanne1

We will be cruising on Boudicca soon and we have the AI drinks package. I wondered if someone could tell me what the house spirits are, eg is it Gordon's gin or is Gordon's deemed a premium drink?

House spirits are a generic no-name brand.

OK with a mixer but probably nothing you'd want to drink neat.

Thank you Mark. Oh dear... "Chinese" ones then. Better take a decent bottle for the cabin then.

You can't even do that as they confiscate bottles. We were not trying to bring any on for the room, just bottles of whisky we bought at the distillary to take back home. Was not best pleased at handing over a £250 bottle of limited cask but it did come back to us in good order.

You do get a discount of 50 percent on premium brands, wine and cocktails which makes a difference.

To be honest the house brands were fine when mixed. The beers are good, Stella etc.

You can buy a named brand bottle for the cabin at a reasonable price, there will be a price list in the cabin or on the interactive TV.

This is not quite as cheap as the 'duty free' list that will be available towards the end of the cruise for you to take home with you, but still quite reasonable.

You can buy a named brand bottle for the cabin at a reasonable price, there will be a price list in the cabin or on the interactive TV.

This is not quite as cheap as the 'duty free' list that will be available towards the end of the cruise for you to take home with you, but still quite reasonable.

Hello Mark

Do you know if you can get Rose wine included in the package or is it just red & white?

Yes indeed, Rosé should be available. Those who were drinking it seemed to enjoy it.

The house white was drinkable as well, but we found the house red somewhat less palatable, but we made good use of the 50% discount on the wine list so not a problem :)

We have done a few AI cruises with Fred, and the wines are perfectly acceptable, although not as strong as a premium wine, from memory the red is about 10%. I am not a spirit drinker so cannot comment on them. The waiters do, however, try to provide doubles, no extra price of course, but may be an indication that the abv is also low.

Yes indeed, Rosé should be available. Those who were drinking it seemed to enjoy it.

The house white was drinkable as well, but we found the house red somewhat less palatable, but we made good use of the 50% discount on the wine list so not a problem :)

Thank you Mark - I do enjoy a few glasses of Rose wine with my meal; it's not very clear on,ine or in the brochures if it's included!

Thank you Mark - I do enjoy a few glasses of Rose wine with my meal; it's not very clear on,ine or in the brochures if it's included!

This information is from Fred Olsen office....House Rose is Roc D'Opale (French) or Casa Silva Cabernet Sauvignon Rose (Chili). However, this was for May and it is liable to change.

This information is from Fred Olsen office....House Rose is Roc D'Opale (French) or Casa Silva Cabernet Sauvignon Rose (Chili). However, this was for May and it is liable to change.

Thank you Jackie

We travel a lot in France so I'm sure the French Rose will be acceptable & Chilean wine is usually fairly good too!

Thank you Jackie

We travel a lot in France so I'm sure the French Rose will be acceptable & Chilean wine is usually fairly good too!

There are some excellent Chilean wines, Julie. Rarely had a bad one. We prefer the new world wines and since those Paris taxi drivers ruined my brother in laws very expensive 2 day golf match and the French port strikers also prevented my grandson from travelling to France on his school trip (they had 2 days in Eastbourne instead) there's not much French wine being drunk in our household. ;)

Edited by Jakanne1

There are some excellent Chilean wines, Julie. Rarely had a bad one. We prefer the new world wines and since those Paris taxi drivers ruined my brother in laws very expensive 2 day golf match and the French port strikers also prevented my grandson from travelling to France on his school trip (they had 2 days in Eastbourne instead) there's not much French wine being drunk in our household. ;)

Don't blame you - they can be a funny breed :D ;)

• 1 month later...
Hello Jackie, seems lots of Thomson people have jumped ship!.....".

Off on Eclipse on Sunday . Will read your review of Fred with interest. (Assuming you haven't been and gone yet). Ron

Hi Ron. Ray chose this cruise as he wanted to revisit some of his old haunts in the Baltic plus visit St Petersburg.

It will be interesting to try another cruise line plus we sail from Newcastle port which is close by rather than travel to the south coast.

Have a brilliant cruise on Eclipse. I've still got some of those sea sickness tablets left. ;). I might need them this cruise as the North Sea looks a bit rough on Monday. :eek:

Bay of Biscay doesn't look too special either! We have bought up a corner on the market of tablets, rita is not good at this as you know! Let's hope we both enjoy anyway. Much better for you from Newcastle isn't it. Sorry to hijack your thread!

Bay of Biscay doesn't look too special either! We have bought up a corner on the market of tablets, rita is not good at this as you know! Let's hope we both enjoy anyway. Much better for you from Newcastle isn't it. Sorry to hijack your thread!

Not at all, it was great to hear from you.

Just go back to your student days.........and mix the red and white for Rose.:eek::eek:

Oh happy days.:D:D:D

Just go back to your student days.........and mix the red and white for Rose.:eek::eek:

Oh happy days.:D:D:D

I'm pleased to report, I enjoyed many a glass of the Rose wine on the drink package whilst I was onboard the Balmoral & very drinkable it was too. I prefer a drier Rose which this was so all was well!

Hi everybody First time on board Fred Olsen and wanted to enquire from any of you more seasoned Olsen cruisers a question regarding the AI drinks package.

I understand that we get "local spirits" included in the package but my wife prefers Gordons Gin. I also understand I will be able to purchase this with a 50% discount as I have the AI package. But my question is is it possible to pay and upgrade to the premium package so avoiding having to pay the 50% rate.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards.

Paul

I understand that we get "local spirits" included in the package but my wife prefers Gordons Gin. I also understand I will be able to purchase this with a 50% discount as I have the AI package. But my question is is it possible to pay and upgrade to the premium package so avoiding having to pay the 50% rate.

The answer is 'no', there are no upgrades and there is no 'premium package' just the one AI package which you already know about.

I'd have to echo the previous comment though, if she is used to Gordons then she is not really going to notice much of a difference with the included AI offering.

If she was accustomed to one of the more distinctively flavored premium gins then it would be different, but with Gordons it really isn't worth paying for anything more than the standard included AI gin.