Solo travelling on Black Watch world cruise 2016

Brit48

Are there any others travelling alone on Black Watch. Also has any others done a world cruise solo on Fred Olsen.

I cruised on the Braemar to St Petersburg last year, and really enjoyed it and met a lot of people around my age 66 years old. I just done a round UK and Scottish Islands on the Balmoral. The age difference was considerably higher, with passengers falling asleep in the lounges at 9.30 am,

I am also in an fully obstructed Single balcony cabin, 8027. I can not pull up the cabin as I only have an I-pad. Wonder if any one has been in one of these.

I am seriously having reservations on this trip, I have till the 1st October to pay my balance. I know I will loose a lot on my deposit, but I am paying out a lot for the cruise, not to enjoy it. I was widowed 2 1/2 years ago, and do not fly. I cruised over on the Queen Victoria in january to Florida, and cruised back on Celebrity Eclipse coming back, both of these ships had dance hosts and bridge classes, and I met lots of very interesting people. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't done the world cruise with Fred. Olsen but have taken long voyages around South America and Africa which were 70+ night cruises. Like you, I had recently been widowed when I took the first one and was more than a trifle apprehensive prior to setting off for such long periods of time. I needn't have worried for it proved to be just the right sort of holiday I needed. You soon become integrated with your fellow passengers, several of whom will be solo travelers.

I can only give a personal opinion but since being widowed I have taken 30+ cruises with Fred. Olsen (and a few with other lines) and found it a perfect way to get back into social life. You meet some great people especially on these long cruises some of whom become friends long after the cruise.

Go ahead and enjoy the experience. I am certain you will never regret it. The only danger is that it becomes addictive!:):)

I have not been on a world cruise, but I have just looked at your cabin in the brochure and it is over the library and probably just under the last bit of the corridor that leads to the outside deck if you align the deck plans with the lifts. We have looked at a fully obstructed cabin for a potential upgrade previously and it had a lifeboat right outside the balcony, so decided not to bother. I think (but am not certain) that Fred still allow smoking on balconies, so that would put us off a balcony as smoke will drift even into the cabin next door, especially if the ship is moving. I have mentioned a lot of judder on another thread - I cannot remember anything in particular about that location, but it is not at the very back or low, which are the really bad parts of the ship. It is down as a 150 sq ft cabin.

We are 65 and were on the Canada cruise in May/June and there were a lot of older people, which I think was partly because they had reduced prices considerably for single occupancy cabins as a late offer. I suspect a round the UK cruise would have more older people though, who want to stay near home for medical reasons. You mention dance hosts and Fred have them, so if you are a ballroom dancer you will be very well catered for. I think a number of the dancers onboard then were older than us, though still active of course. They play bridge onboard as well. There was plenty of company to be had from other passengers and we spoke quite a bit to people we had got to know when out on deck in scenic cruising or whale watching locations, and they were not that old. Fred has singles meetings as well, so I doubt you would feel alone. The Braemar lounge did resemble an old peoples home at times, but we did not usually sit in there or were careful who we sat by.

Thinking a bit outside the box. If you really are thinking that you are not happy with your booking, Fred may consider transferring your deposit to another cruise(s), rather than you have to loose it. Worth asking about anyway.

A world cruise is a good way to get to see far reaching parts of the world without flying, which is good (and there are a lot of ports on that cruise), but 115 nights is a long time, so it is something that has to be an individual decision.

Good luck whatever you do.

Edited by tring

Are there any others travelling alone on Black Watch. Also has any others done a world cruise solo on Fred Olsen.

I cruised on the Braemar to St Petersburg last year, and really enjoyed it and met a lot of people around my age 66 years old. I just done a round UK and Scottish Islands on the Balmoral. The age difference was considerably higher, with passengers falling asleep in the lounges at 9.30 am,

I am also in an fully obstructed Single balcony cabin, 8027. I can not pull up the cabin as I only have an I-pad. Wonder if any one has been in one of these.

I am seriously having reservations on this trip, I have till the 1st October to pay my balance. I know I will loose a lot on my deposit, but I am paying out a lot for the cruise, not to enjoy it. I was widowed 2 1/2 years ago, and do not fly. I cruised over on the Queen Victoria in january to Florida, and cruised back on Celebrity Eclipse coming back, both of these ships had dance hosts and bridge classes, and I met lots of very interesting people. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

We've done a World Cruise, albeit on Balmoral. There were many solo travellers in that age group and they are generally well catered for. Give yourself a chance to settle in, far more important for a longer cruise and I'm sure you will be fine.

Would I go solo if I were widowed? Yes, I probably would. If you still have doubts, talk to Fred Olsen and see if they can suggest something.

I haven't done the world cruise with Fred. Olsen but have taken long voyages around South America and Africa which were 70+ night cruises. Like you, I had recently been widowed when I took the first one and was more than a trifle apprehensive prior to setting off for such long periods of time. I needn't have worried for it proved to be just the right sort of holiday I needed. You soon become integrated with your fellow passengers, several of whom will be solo travelers.

I can only give a personal opinion but since being widowed I have taken 30+ cruises with Fred. Olsen (and a few with other lines) and found it a perfect way to get back into social life. You meet some great people especially on these long cruises some of whom become friends long after the cruise.

Go ahead and enjoy the experience. I am certain you will never regret it. The only danger is that it becomes addictive!:):)

Thanks so much for your reply. It was so helpful

I have not been on a world cruise, but I have just looked at your cabin in the brochure and it is over the library and probably just under the last bit of the corridor that leads to the outside deck if you align the deck plans with the lifts. We have looked at a fully obstructed cabin for a potential upgrade previously and it had a lifeboat right outside the balcony, so decided not to bother. I think (but am not certain) that Fred still allow smoking on balconies, so that would put us off a balcony as smoke will drift even into the cabin next door, especially if the ship is moving. I have mentioned a lot of judder on another thread - I cannot remember anything in particular about that location, but it is not at the very back or low, which are the really bad parts of the ship. It is down as a 150 sq ft cabin.

We are 65 and were on the Canada cruise in May/June and there were a lot of older people, which I think was partly because they had reduced prices considerably for single occupancy cabins as a late offer. I suspect a round the UK cruise would have more older people though, who want to stay near home for medical reasons. You mention dance hosts and Fred have them, so if you are a ballroom dancer you will be very well catered for. I think a number of the dancers onboard then were older than us, though still active of course. They play bridge onboard as well. There was plenty of company to be had from other passengers and we spoke quite a bit to people we had got to know when out on deck in scenic cruising or whale watching locations, and they were not that old. Fred has singles meetings as well, so I doubt you would feel alone. The Braemar lounge did resemble an old peoples home at times, but we did not usually sit in there or were careful who we sat by.

Thinking a bit outside the box. If you really are thinking that you are not happy with your booking, Fred may consider transferring your deposit to another cruise(s), rather than you have to loose it. Worth asking about anyway.

A world cruise is a good way to get to see far reaching parts of the world without flying, which is good (and there are a lot of ports on that cruise), but 115 nights is a long time, so it is something that has to be an individual decision.

Good luck whatever you do.

Thank you so much for your reply, it has been very helpful

Thank you so much for your reply

We've done a World Cruise, albeit on Balmoral. There were many solo travellers in that age group and they are generally well catered for. Give yourself a chance to settle in, far more important for a longer cruise and I'm sure you will be fine.

Would I go solo if I were widowed? Yes, I probably would. If you still have doubts, talk to Fred Olsen and see if they can suggest something.

Thanks so much for your reply

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to let you all know, that I finally paid my balance on the world cruise yesterday. I was so indecisive, could not make a decision, then a friend of mine has a friend who is also doing the whole trip. After talking to them, then I talked to admin at FO, who told me as of now there are 109 solo travellers booked, and the average age as of now is 68, I decided to go ahead.

I have changed my cabin to a superior outside on deck 5. I know I want be getting the fresh air, but I think it will be a nicer cabins, than the fully obstructed one on deck 8.

Thank you so much for all your inputs.

Now I will start planning my trips.

Jen