Did you start with a segment or two?

sjde

A world cruise is generally 4 or 6 months I believe, and my husband would like to do one someday. We have never done a cruise (or any trip) of more than 2 weeks. We've been on Oceania, Celebrity, Princess, RCCL, NCL, HAL and Azamara.

I worry about the length. Did you start with shorter trips-segments that equaled a month or two?

I didn't. My longest cruise before my World Voyage was two weeks. At the end of 118 days, I did not want to get off.

You really need to enjoy sea days for a World Voyage. There will likely be a few stretches of 5-8 days without a port.

We first started cruising with a 5-day cruise in 1999 to see if this style of vacation appealed. We were hooked. We quickly realized after a couple of week-long cruises that 7 days just wasn't long enough, so we graduated to longer and longer cruises over the next 15 years of cruising ... doing back-to-back cruises to lengthen the time. The longer the better has been our motto and we are very much looking forward to six months on Insignia next year.

If you have not done a TransAtlantic or TransPacific before, it's a good way to test whether you will enjoy being at sea for multiple days in a row ... which every world cruise will have at some point. That is one cruise I would definitely recommend doing before booking a world cruise. And of course doing at least one cruise on the cruiseline with which you plan to do a world cruise -- on a ship in a similar class -- is a good way to find out if you will enjoy the shipboard life on that particular line.

We took a back to back cruise totaling 24 days on the ship that we ended up booking a world cruise on. At the time that was our longest cruise. The experience was great and by being on the same ship that we ended up booking a world cruise it really was helpful to us as we made a decision as to whether or not to book a world cruise.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

We booked the 2018 HAL 50-day (Hong Kong to Fort Lauderdale) segment. We were mulling over booking the 63-day Fort Lauderdale to Hong Kong segment to make it a circumnavigation.

Having just turned 70, I was spooked by my former boss Janet Reno passing at 78. Time is getting short!

Turned over the 50-day booking to a local TA and last week gave her $4K to book the 63-day segment.

Let's hope they keep the self-service laundries. ;-)

We are doing 52 days, 2 cruises I'll get back to you to I'll get back to you on the same ship...Hawaii, Tahiti, Mexico then thought the Pananma canal. So it's San Diego to Fort Lauderdale. HAL in March 2017. We think we want to do a world cruise so this is a test! I will be 70 in 2018 and my partner is already 71, so time is a wasting

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Longest cruise has been 35 nights Sydney Australia, Hawaii, Sydney Australia

We have now jumped in boots and all up to our necks :eek:

Sea Princess 2017 World Cruise 106 nights Sydney to Brisbane Australia

Sea Princess 2018 World Cruise 106 night Brisbane to Brisbane Australia

:D

Longest cruise has been 35 nights Sydney Australia, Hawaii, Sydney Australia

We have now jumped in boots and all up to our necks :eek:

Sea Princess 2017 World Cruise 106 nights Sydney to Brisbane Australia

Sea Princess 2018 World Cruise 106 night Brisbane to Brisbane Australia

:D

Wow! You are hooked on world cruises and you haven't even done one yet.:D They are addictive - what's not to like about 100+ days being pampered and seeing the world!

Enjoy your cruises!

• 3 weeks later...

I highly recommend trying out the ship that you might do a full world cruise on with some type of voyage.

In our case it was a back to back 24 day cruise. We loved the ship and knew it would work for us for a long voyage.

So we booked a full world cruise and did others since then.

We have some friends who were not sure so they booked part of a world cruise and loved it and returned for a full one.

Keith