Repositioning cruises?

I have done sea days from LA to Hawaii. Both times, rather rocky. This time we are looking at Hawaii to Sydney or New Zealand. Any comments on time of year and how rocky are the sea days?

Hawaii Sydney cruises only run a few times a year (once each way a season), usually April and September.

It is the Pacific ocean so it can be variable. That said, the time of year they run is generally good and I've yet to hear any issues. I'd say it's likely to be good conditions on those runs.

I did Sydney to Singapore on rhapsody of the seas. Loved this cruise. Loved the different places that we got to visit and getting to know the crew and guests. The prices was super cheap plus Jetstar over booked and bumped me and my son to premium economy for a couple of hundred $$$

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are looking at this as an option for next year. Esilef - how far out do you recommend booking? I've been keeping an eye on prices but still quite expensive. Did you manage to snag a bargain?

We are looking at this as an option for next year. Esilef - how far out do you recommend booking? I've been keeping an eye on prices but still quite expensive. Did you manage to snag a bargain?

I booked last minute and only paid $941 pp inside with no grats. The next day after I paid in full they dropped the price down further.

It was a great cruise and weather was perfect. Loved the itinerary.

If you are happy with the price book early and get the cabin you want. The weather would have been perfect for a balcony cabin.

Has anyone done a re-positioning cruise? My wife and I are contemplating doing either The Carnival Legend one to Hawaii or The Explorer of the Seas one to Seattle and we wondered if anyone has any experience with these (or similar) cruises? Are they any different to other cruises and what should we expect?

We are also wondering if it better to cruise there in April and fly home, or wait until September/October and fly there and cruise home? One advantage I can see with flying first is there is no baggage limits on the return trip after my wife goes shopping over there :)

My first cruise was on Explorer and was a re positioning cruise Singapore, KL. Langkawi & Phuket followed by 6 days to Perth. Before cruising, I was concerned that I would get bored on all those sea days in a row. Nope, they were so relaxing and we found plenty to do. If you don't want to do anything energetic, and don't feel like a puzzle or a book take a couple of games, bananas & a travel size rummikub lots of people asked to join us. If you decide early perhaps put yourself on airline mailing lists you can get an airfare with an airline that allows 30kg like Qantas (we got Perth to Singas for $200) or one of the US airlines at the same price as the budget airlines and as you have said the weight coming home doesn't matter if you fly first. . I hate flying, so I prefer flying there and getting the worst bit over with. Then the choice is really would you prefer Seattle or Bora Bora. With Seattle if you haven't been there it might be nice to have a few days somewhere that isn't an island to start with.

Then there is the cruise lines loyalty clubs to consider, a cruise that length would quickly push you up into the next catagory with Royal, take you closer to Diamond and the lovely free drinks every evening in the Diamond lounge. I don't know if Carnivals club is as good as Royal. And what is Carnivals carry on drinks policy. Royal allows 2 bottles of wine to be brought on without charge. Decisions, decisions.......

So I would probably look at the ships and see which has the best reviews and choices on activities and entertainment for those sea days.

Edited by reedy8
error

Sometimes the best thing about lots of sea days is the chance to just relax. Sit on your balcony, read a book, watch the sea go by. Simple pleasures but so relaxing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I have done 4 Repositioning cruises, and love them. Great value and interesting itineraries sometimes. I love the multiple At Sea days! Those are my chances to read, nap and relax. I have never noticed a difference in "dynamics", with crew or passengers...most are experienced cruisers, that, like me, seek these cruises out specifically!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

My wife and I have done the Honolulu to Sydney twice , Carnival Legend and Radiance of the Seas and loved the five days at sea sections , also have done ten days at sea on QM2 , Valparaiso to Tahiti and then another five days to New Zealand , and did not notice any change in "dynamics" , maybe we were enjoying ourselves too much to notice.:):):):)

If you decide early perhaps put yourself on airline mailing lists you can get an airfare with an airline that allows 30kg like Qantas (we got Perth to Singas for $200) or one of the US airlines at the same price as the budget airlines and as you have said the weight coming home doesn't matter if you fly first. .

That can come back and bite you in the a$$ :D We are on a repos to Singas next year so I grabbed a some business class seats with Emirates for 3 of us with points on a discount offer, sounds great till I find out we have over 50kg checked each plus carry on! Damn that extra week in Singapore is going to cost me a fortune!

• 8 months later...
I am aware that Princess ships repositioning to Asia are AUD onboard.

What about Princess repoitioning cruises from Aust to US....are they AUD or USD ?

Thanks.

According to an announcement last year should be AU$