Celebrity DINE AWARE Program for People with Allergies and Food Sensitivities

TravelKnitter

I am REALLY disappointed in this program.

I sent an email to the special needs department about my husband being a vegan (with a few more restrictions) and this is the response I received back -

Message body

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with this information. Unfortunately, we do not have vegan options on our menu. However, we do have vegetarian options which can be modified to be made as vegan as possible.

We recommend once onboard speaking with the Maitre 'd to go over the menu and the meal accommodations.

We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Best regards,

Sulay Suarez

Access Advocate

So basically NOTHING is new. :mad: :(

We've always met with the Maitre D' upon boarding but I thought with this new advocacy program and advance notice they might have more vegan options ordered.

I especially want to note the "as vegan as possible" phrase. :mad:

Not even a commitment or assurance that there actually WILL be vegan choices for him (which I know there will be.)

Why bother to advertise a new program?[/quote

No need to be disappointed in the least bit. People on-shore are not fully aware or cannot commit to what can be done on-board.

I Am a low-fat vegan, once I board I speak with the Maitre d' at each restaurant I plan to eat in advance and they do make it happen for me. Sometimes I have to ask for something different after a few nights, but I laud their efforts for the try.

OVC is another issue, yet they do their best to come through for me.

Yes, it has been hit or miss, but when you have a ship load of people with many, many, many restrictions, someone, sometime will get something that they should not.

I have taken responsibility for insuring that I get what I need and want and not fully rely on X on-shore or on-board until arrival, to understand my requirements...

I have a friend who has so many 'allergies' and wants to cruise so bad, I dissuade them as the food experience could be so disastrous for them. It is better they do not go and miss out, then go and complain the whole time away about the food and not being properly accommodated... IMO

bon voyage

I am REALLY disappointed in this program.

I sent an email to the special needs department about my husband being a vegan (with a few more restrictions) and this is the response I received back -

Message body

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with this information. Unfortunately, we do not have vegan options on our menu. However, we do have vegetarian options which can be modified to be made as vegan as possible.

We recommend once onboard speaking with the Maitre 'd to go over the menu and the meal accommodations.

We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Best regards,

Sulay Suarez

Access Advocate

So basically NOTHING is new. :mad: :(

We've always met with the Maitre D' upon boarding but I thought with this new advocacy program and advance notice they might have more vegan options ordered.

I especially want to note the "as vegan as possible" phrase. :mad:

Not even a commitment or assurance that there actually WILL be vegan choices for him (which I know there will be.)

Why bother to advertise a new program?[/quote

No need to be disappointed in the least bit. People on-shore are not fully aware or cannot commit to what can be done on-board.

I Am a low-fat vegan, once I board I speak with the Maitre d' at each restaurant I plan to eat in advance and they do make it happen for me. Sometimes I have to ask for something different after a few nights, but I laud their efforts for the try.

OVC is another issue, yet they do their best to come through for me.

Yes, it has been hit or miss, but when you have a ship load of people with many, many, many restrictions, someone, sometime will get something that they should not.

I have taken responsibility for insuring that I get what I need and want and not fully rely on X on-shore or on-board until arrival, to understand my requirements...

I have a friend who has so many 'allergies' and wants to cruise so bad, I dissuade them as the food experience could be so disastrous for them. It is better they do not go and miss out, then go and complain the whole time away about the food and not being properly accommodated... IMO

bon voyage

Samuel

We are as disappointed as you. This new program seems to be all hype and no substance.

We are just off a Princess cruise where they really went out of their way .

In a month we'll be on the Eclipse and I hope that once on board we'll find the same thing.

Tell your friend to try Disney.

My husband's diet is suggested by his cardiologist (as I suspect yours is, also) but he won't get sick if one mistake is made. 2 of our grandchildren have Celiac Disease and get extremely ill from even cross-contamination.

Our daughter went on a Disney cruise last year and they bent over backward to accommodate. They have a separate kitchen for non-Gluten and so my grandchildren were able to enjoy many foods they don't even get at home and had a healthy, happy week at sea!

Disney is significantly more expensive but not being sick on a vacation is priceless!

Edited by chamima

I don't have food allergies but I do have Crohn's disease which causes a lot of food restrictions that are tricky like low residue/fiber which rules out most vegetables and fruits, whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, no spices or garlic, lactose free, etc. Would my Crohn's restrictions be taken seriously or would they be dismissed like Vegans are because they are not allergies (though they cause a lot of very unpleasant things)? Can you ask for ingredients to be removed when ordering? I really want to be able to cruise and not I've on white bread.

For the most part, you should be just fine. You have to understand that the crew does its' best to help each passenger get food which they can eat, even for me a 'devout' low-fat vegan. There are some foods which causes me to break out in hives as well, which is possibly an allergy.

You need to speak with the Maitre d' upon embarkation and your waiter at first meal. I understand that menus are given out for the next evenings meal so dietary requirements can be best met.

You can find threads, here on CC, where individuals have been totally disappointed or totally happy, and in-between, with X's efforts in the F & B department. This is, rather one has dietary restrictions to dietary preferences....

While NO one here can provide you with 100% assurances that your needs will be 100% met, we can assure you that X will try its' hardest to do so. Again, you may want to go with a list of items you 'can' have rather than a list of items you cannot, which may be easier for them to use.

bon voyage

Samuel

We are as disappointed as you. This new program seems to be all hype and no substance.

We are just off a Princess cruise where they really went out of their way .

In a month we'll be on the Eclipse and I hope that once on board we'll find the same thing.

Tell your friend to try Disney.

My husband's diet is suggested by his cardiologist (as I suspect yours is, also) but he won't get sick if one mistake is made. 2 of our grandchildren have Celiac Disease and get extremely ill from even cross-contamination.

Our daughter went on a Disney cruise last year and they bent over backward to accommodate. They have a separate kitchen for non-Gluten and so my grandchildren were able to enjoy many foods they don't even get at home and had a healthy, happy week at sea!

Disney is significantly more expensive but not being sick on a vacation is priceless!

c - Thank you for the response. I Am, in fact, not really disappointed truth be known.

I find it to be work in progress when cruising. SeaDream, I believe is the one cruise line which specializes in vegan cuisine as the President is vegan, as well, Regent and Oceania has specific menus for vegans!

Yet, if Disney can accommodate requirements, no need to change... especially if you are happy.

As for Disney's expense, is not the value there? Of course expensive is relative as well...

This couple are chronic complainers... if it will not be the food, they will find something else.. I can only invite them to my home twice a year and prefer to go to theirs as they will prepare everything to their liking... ;-) No muss no fuss, if something is not quite right for them, it is on them... and I just smile. I choose to eat before going as they rarely have anything vegan, to my liking at least.

Thank you again and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

c

This couple are chronic complainers... if it will not be the food, they will find something else.. I can only invite them to my home twice a year and prefer to go to theirs as they will prepare everything to their liking... ;-) No muss no fuss, if something is not quite right for them, it is on them... and I just smile. I choose to eat before going as they rarely have anything vegan, to my liking at least.

Thank you again and bon voyage

We have friends like that.

We try to limit going out with them and would NEVER vacation with them!!!

I hope that Celebrity finds a way to have a dedicated, gluten-free area in the buffet. While gluten-free items have labels, the risk of cross-contamination is high.

The people I feel most sorry for are those who are so allergic to something, they could go into shock. Nut allergies, for example. If I get cross-contaminated with gluten, I'll get super sick, but I won't die.

In addition to gluten-free, I'd love for the dedicated area to mark the foods that are free of the top 8 allergens (milk, eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, soy, fish, shellfish).

It would be important to have someone serve the food, with dedicated serving utensils for each item, and not to let the guests take food for themselves.

Equally important would be to make everyone take a new, clean plate when getting food from the dedicated buffet.

Celebrity: Am I asking too much? It certainly seems doable, although I'm no expert in banquet or cruise ship food service.

This is worth repeating and I wish Celebrity would listen. I'm not sure the staff fully understands the issue with cross-contamination. My husband is celiac and has terrible symptoms if he gets "glutened". Basically it's 3 to 5 days of pain and much time spent in the bathroom. One time he ordered a GF pizza and then was so sick afterwards. We think maybe it was cut with a glutenous pizza-cutter. Now we know to specifically ask them to use a clean one. Another time at the pizza counter, we were looking at all the condiments you can add on after (peppers, olives, etc.) and the guy in front of us took the pepper tongs, reached waaaaaaaaaaaay under the counter and grabbed a piece of regular pizza. Then put the tongs back in the peppers. Thereby contaminating them. I fear to think what happens when people at the salad bar use the cheese spoon to scoop out nuts and then put the spoon back in the cheese. That could be deadly for some unsuspecting person with nut allergies.

So there's the cross-contamination issue.

The other issue is staff knowledge about allergies and what is in the food. We go through the buffet with the buffet manager to find out what is safe and what is not. We know it's always safer to eat in the MDR, but sometimes there isn't time (e.g. early excursions). Sometimes food is labeled GF and sometimes it isn't. Then we wonder if it actually is GF or was a GF label put on the wrong food by mistake. Last cruise we sat next to a couple in the MDR one morning. We heard the man say he was celiac and he would like sausages or bacon, whichever was GF. When he was served we noticed that they brought him a bowl with non-GF sausages at the bottom and bacon on top. We advised him not to eat the sausages as we had been told they were not GF. The only GF sausages were the patties and they weren't available in the MDR. My husband had to order them the night before. Every night.

Last issue....with all the advances in GF baking and even baking mixes, why the heck can't Celebrity offer something more than jello and creme brulee or fruit?? There are more non-GF dessert options than can be counted, but nothing much for celiacs. When we were on our one and only Princess cruise they offered a GF coconut cake that my husband still dreams about. It sounds like there are more than a couple of celiacs on each cruise. Why can't they make a cake or even a crustless cheesecake, or flourless chocolate cake...something....that could be offered to all the GFers each night. It doesn't sound like one person would be eating a whole cake by themselves. Celebrity seems to be way behind in this area.

To those who think that filling out a special needs form is enough, you'll likely be very disappointed. If you are cruising with any kind of dietary restriction, there's definitely a lot more to think about and be aware of before and during your cruise. This varies with your exact needs, the venue, and each crew member you interact with. The guide on my website (see signature) will help you navigate all that.

The good news is it's very possible to have a safe and enjoyable dining experience. My wife and I do cruise holidays specifically because of our multiple dietary issues. It's not painless, but far less so than being in an unfamiliar city and having to spend hours every day to find safe food. :)

To those who think that filling out a special needs form is enough, you'll likely be very disappointed. If you are cruising with any kind of dietary restriction, there's definitely a lot more to think about and be aware of before and during your cruise. This varies with your exact needs, the venue, and each crew member you interact with. The guide on my website (see signature) will help you navigate all that.

The good news is it's very possible to have a safe and enjoyable dining experience. My wife and I do cruise holidays specifically because of our multiple dietary issues. It's not painless, but far less so than being in an unfamiliar city and having to spend hours every day to find safe food. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There have been several posts concerning passenger creating cross-contamination issues in OVC, another option to possibly consider, going to MDR for meals, with the exception of port days when I believe it is not open.

Many passengers will never think about x-contamination when they are not aware of or do not know how this behaviour can and does potentially affect others.

Many of us are in the minority when it comes to food, so we need to safe-guard against others habits or chef's mistakes, as much as possible. Hopefully, once they catch on for your sailing in dining rooms, there will be few or non-existent food issues for the duration of your sailing.

Fortunately, I usually have someone along who takes care of many food issues aboard for me, so I do not worry that much and do understand that even they will miss something here and there.

I always remember that this is NOT my private dining room or kitchen and something can always go awry if I do not stay on top of it.

Then again, it is a cruise and I intend to have a great time regardless... :)

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

We always have a great time cruising with Celebrity. And lest I sounded critical of them....food in the MDR is always great. We usually request the same waitstaff and get the menu for the next day so hubby can pre-order, and he's really happy with the job they do in the MDR.

We try to avoid the buffet, but sometimes you just want to slob around after a long port day and it's nice to just relax in the buffet.

We just wish Celebrity's amazing chefs could come up with a little more variety in the GF dessert department. :)

FYI to celiacs....do you know you can get gluten free restaurant cards for free from the internet? Just Google "gluten free restaurant card" and you can find them. I bring along a couple on each cruise in whatever language(s) we are likely to need for port days.

We always have a great time cruising with Celebrity. And lest I sounded critical of them....food in the MDR is always great. We usually request the same waitstaff and get the menu for the next day so hubby can pre-order, and he's really happy with the job they do in the MDR.

We try to avoid the buffet, but sometimes you just want to slob around after a long port day and it's nice to just relax in the buffet.

We just wish Celebrity's amazing chefs could come up with a little more variety in the GF dessert department. :)

FYI to celiacs....do you know you can get gluten free restaurant cards for free from the internet? Just Google "gluten free restaurant card" and you can find them. I bring along a couple on each cruise in whatever language(s) we are likely to need for port days.

Very good idea, especially when traveling to areas where one does not speak the language fluently...

bon voyage

Earlier this year, Cruise Critic posted an article that, among other things, talked about how Celebrity Cruise Line will launch Dine Aware in November 2016. Dine Aware helps the food service industry better serve customers who have food allergies or intolerances:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7190

I haven't seen much about the launch since the August press release, and when I was on my October Celebrity cruise, I didn't see or hear anything about it.

So, now that it's November and supposedly Dine Aware launch month, I thought I'd start this thread in case anyone has an update. For those of you who cruised Celebrity in November, was there any talk about Dine Aware on your cruise?

Don't know anything about "Dine Aware", but, I can tell from first hand experience, that Celebrity does take care of you...

Last year on the Silhouette, I told our server (in the MDR), that I was allergic to mushrooms, and could they make a certain dish without them. Not only did they comply, but the head waiter brought over the dinning menu for the next night, and told me to indicate any dish that has mushrooms, or any other ingredient that I'm allergic to, and they would make it without the allergic ingredients. AND, they did this every night, way to go Celebrity! ;)

This is fantastic information. We are taking our first cruise on Reflection in March and I did tell our travel agent about my allergy to shrimp (which I dearly love but it isn't so nice to me in return). Ive been a lil concerned as to whether that info would be passed on or if I had to just be extremely cautious and carry my Epipen. Its great to know tht they do make an effort to keep their passengers safe and healthy :)

Just off Equinox on Monday. I was much better accommodated on Equinox with the variety of meals ,breads, pastries and desserts than on Silhouette (Thanksgiving 2016) for celiac. The chef met with me and I preordered the next day's meals being offered including desserts beyond fruit and creme brulee. I did eat all of my meals in Luminae, and also brought on my snacks and protein bars for the room. The Luminae Chef Rene was very imaginative in making the dining experience great.

I will say that the signage in oceanview cafe, had several items listed as gluten free which may have not been, and also in Aquaspa cafe. For instance in Aquaspa, there would be different yogurt parfaits with some kind of either cookie crumble or graham cracker crumbs in them. It is possible that the chef made his own gluten free cookies and graham crackers, but without speaking to the chef who made it, I would not trust it. The pre made gluten free pizza crust was handled in the same area as the regular flour dough, so a good chance of cross contamination.

The main problem in oceanview is the cross contamination by passengers putting spoons back into different bowls and pans. It is much safer to eat in the main dining room, Blu or Luminae.

The servers in Cafe Al Bacio were great about not putting biscotti on the plate, and they had separation of the cookies with separate tongs in separate jars for each type of cookie, so the peanut butter cookie tongs did not go into the chocolate chip cookie jar for instance or the gluten free macaroon jar.

It will still take a lot of training for the average staff person to understand what looks harmless can make someone very sick just by the cross contamination.

It would still be absolutely wonderful if Celebrity had a dedicated station for those with allergies to be served by their staff, or have completely preplated cling wrapped items available for pickup in oceanview.

Room service is still a miss in my opinion as far as safe food items. It has improved, but it definitely a work in progress to teach so many individuals in food service some of the basics. We always have a great time, but you are always responsible for making sure and asking all the questions that are necessary to have a safe food experience.

This is fantastic information. We are taking our first cruise on Reflection in March and I did tell our travel agent about my allergy to shrimp (which I dearly love but it isn't so nice to me in return). Ive been a lil concerned as to whether that info would be passed on or if I had to just be extremely cautious and carry my Epipen. Its great to know tht they do make an effort to keep their passengers safe and healthy :)

s - I also recommend that you speak to the Maitre d' upon embarking and the waiters as well... and to be on the safe side, when eating in OVC, keep the pen with you just in case something or someone gets it x-contaminated.

bon voyage

I have no idea why this is, but we find that information provided ahead of time rarely gets passed along to your onboard file, or at least rarely correctly. Go in with the assumption that they know nothing about your problem, and then be pleasantly surprised the odd time when they actually do know!

I have no idea why this is, but we find that information provided ahead of time rarely gets passed along to your onboard file, or at least rarely correctly. Go in with the assumption that they know nothing about your problem, and then be pleasantly surprised the odd time when they actually do know!

We've always just explained to our waiters and the maitre'd in the buffet, so never really thought about this being on our file. When we've sent an email ahead of time I assumed they would like to know so they could order enough gluten free bread or whatever. :) Now I am wondering....do they keep track or have any idea how many of each of the various special diets are on board? That could explain why, for example, they don't bother making a gluten free cake, even though there may be 20 or 30 people on board who would be happy to eat one, if one were available. But if they don't have any idea then maybe they think there will be no interest.

Hmmmmm......

• 7 months later...

I had a recent ship visit with Celebrity with a lactose-free friend and myself, I'm vegan, though have lactose-intolerance too. They wanted dietary requests in 2 months in advance which were submitted, but MDR was not prepared at all for us.

Oddly, the same butternut squash soup served in OWC at lunch was marked veggie and lactose-free, the lunch menu in MDR looked like it had milk or cream so checked with staff and were told it definitely had dairy. Frustrating. Only other starter was Caesar salad - full of dairy. So we got lettuce, cucumber and tomato slices. Not even a balsamic dressing or vinegarette to go with it.

Main course was even worse for me, even though they could've easily combined a large plate of side vegetables, cous cous etc. Did not fill me with confidence... I love Celebrity ships, I would hate to dine poorly, am torn about booking them or not. Even on Royal Caribbean I have had desserts, not just fruit. They even attempted cake!

Princess is the best cruise line for dietary needs that we have travelled with - with proper dessert! Their vegan desserts were suitable for coeliacs, egg- and dairy-allergy passengers (apple pie, cobblers etc) so there is no reason why ships shouldn't cater for vegan passengers. Especially as vegan food is not just vegans - it is food, can be enjoyed by everyone. Last time on Royal I was offered a lovely chickpea curry, boiled rice and poppadums and I had other omnivore diners jealous at my food. It may have been 'just' the staff curry (as many staff are from India/Pakistan and many are vegetarian) but it was a great curry. Just happened to be vegan too.

I would love to try Disney sailings, but there aren't that many sailings here in Europe and Oceania is so expensive, though v vegan aware hence would expect them to cater well for other dietary needs.

I've got my Celebrity day visit post here: http://vegancruiser.co.uk/visit/celebrity-eclipse-ship-visit/

I must say that from my recent sailing on Millie and they took great care of me, from Chef Alex and Pastry Chef Wendel. I Am a low fat vegan...

Chef Alex had free hand to prepare what he wanted for me each night and it was truly a delicious surprize, as for Chef Wendel, a true master of pastry.... each and every night he had pastries or pies or cakes for me. So delicious to the eyes, but to taste.

Everyone at my table decided at night two (2) the only dessert to have was what Chef Wendel prepared.

By all means visit with the Maitre 'D upon boarding or first night in the dining room ask to speak with the Chef.

As for OVC, that is riskier, yet several of the managers walked through to point out the vegan items and also offered to prepare something special, but I declined because this was not going to be my main meal.

Each of us are different in terms of lifestyle and medical requirements. X over the last few cruises have met or exceeded my expectations or desires.

I always recommend to not rely only on sending in the dietary requirements to shoreside, but be pro-active once on-board. That will go a longer way to make eating more pleasant...

bon voyage

I have been VERY happy with Celebrity when it comes to gluten free food. Fortunately I don't have celiac, but I do have a wheat allergy and if I eat ANYTHING with wheat I get a migraine that lasts for a few days. Not fun!! I have never had an issue with any Celebrity cruise I have been on!! I will be on the Equinox next month and glad that things are great there!!

Indeed, I do find it wonderful that there is such a program onboard Celebrity. Unfortunately, there seems to be more work to be done before I trust the program ;-) Should be called «Be Aware Before Dining» instead of «Dine Aware» in my opinion.

I would nonetheless advise people with allergies that extra precautions must be taken when cruising, but it can still be done enjoyably.

I just finished a cruise on Celebrity on August 13th, and although the restaurant personnel were wonderful, there were issues galore. Allergies are a problem, period. It’s not really anyone’s fault, so I’ll share my experience with you in the hope that you will not assume on your safety based on such programs. I will not answer any bashing comments, but for those who feel the need to express yourselves negatively on my point of view, go right ahead!

Hope for the best but expect the worse. I have 7 food allergies. Yes. 7. And yes, I carry a note from my allergist at all times to confirm this.

Here is how I proceed before cruising:

1) I always contact the cruise line prior the sailing date. I send in my allergist’s note confirming all of my allergies by e-mail. I also call personally to make sure they received my email.

2) Once onboard, I always speak to the Maître D’ before eating anything.

3) I never go to the buffet.

4) I do go to café Al Bacio, but I do not eat anything. Only the coffees. They are such a treat!

4) I walk around the ship with my epi-pen in hand. The rest of my meds are in my cabin. My husband has the time to make it to the cabin in the unfortunate event of a problem.

Here is what can happen even though you take every possible precaution:

1) Expect a problem. Although I do everything correctly, mistakes happen. On this specific cruise, visible allergens wound up in my plate in the dining room 3 times. Not 1, not 2… 3 times. I must admit the ship was sold out. Thankfully I am not hot-tempered. Anger will not get you anywhere. Remaining safe is the prerogative.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that people with allergies should not expect to be safer on a cruise than on land and let their guard down because they are on vacation. You can’t take a vacation from allergies ;-)

The restaurant personnel are feeding masses in a timely matter day in and day out. People with allergies are a minority, and cruise lines do their best to accommodate us but they cannot guarantee an exempt free environment, just as on land.

I will state a pet peeve of mine (hence the potential post flaming). We all know of these people… I’m allergic to this, I’m allergic to that. I do find that there should be a difference between food preferences / intolerances / and downright allergies.

Speaking with different waiting staff on different cruise lines, I have felt that it has become difficult for them to differentiate between all of these categories. As such, they are not as inclined to be vigilant when someone says “Oh I can’t eat this or that”. Because of that, it becomes solely my responsibility to double check on everything to make sure everything goes smoothly.

I had a recent ship visit with Celebrity with a lactose-free friend and myself, I'm vegan, though have lactose-intolerance too. They wanted dietary requests in 2 months in advance which were submitted, but MDR was not prepared at all for us.

Oddly, the same butternut squash soup served in OWC at lunch was marked veggie and lactose-free, the lunch menu in MDR looked like it had milk or cream so checked with staff and were told it definitely had dairy. Frustrating. Only other starter was Caesar salad - full of dairy. So we got lettuce, cucumber and tomato slices. Not even a balsamic dressing or vinegarette to go with it.

Main course was even worse for me, even though they could've easily combined a large plate of side vegetables, cous cous etc. Did not fill me with confidence... I love Celebrity ships, I would hate to dine poorly, am torn about booking them or not. Even on Royal Caribbean I have had desserts, not just fruit. They even attempted cake!

Princess is the best cruise line for dietary needs that we have travelled with - with proper dessert! Their vegan desserts were suitable for coeliacs, egg- and dairy-allergy passengers (apple pie, cobblers etc) so there is no reason why ships shouldn't cater for vegan passengers. Especially as vegan food is not just vegans - it is food, can be enjoyed by everyone. Last time on Royal I was offered a lovely chickpea curry, boiled rice and poppadums and I had other omnivore diners jealous at my food. It may have been 'just' the staff curry (as many staff are from India/Pakistan and many are vegetarian) but it was a great curry. Just happened to be vegan too.

I would love to try Disney sailings, but there aren't that many sailings here in Europe and Oceania is so expensive, though v vegan aware hence would expect them to cater well for other dietary needs.

I've got my Celebrity day visit post here: http://vegancruiser.co.uk/visit/celebrity-eclipse-ship-visit/

I enjoyed reading your review, and thanks for taking all of those photos!