No more kids under 3 allowed in the Pool!

Prada Cowboy

It seems a large part of the OP's concern is that the rules were changed midsailing.

We can argue all day long about potty trained kids in pools, but really it seems the biggest problem here is that the cruisers booked a cruise under one set of circumstances, and midway through, those have changed.

The rule about no swim diapers was not changed. It was in effect before the cruise was booked. It was being ignored by passengers.

Yesterday her 2 year old and other kids under the age of 3 (even in swim diapers) got pulled out of the pool and they stated NO KIDS under the age of 3 are allowed anymore in the pool.

Maybe a note from pediatrician for example.

They have no way of knowing, other than the parent claiming the kid is trained. Many parents claim their kid is trained, but the kid has so may "accidents" that they really aren't trained at all. The parent just likes to believe that they are.

Maybe they can see that a child is not wearing a diaper?

See above. Many kids can go an hour or two without peeing so mom puts them in regular underwear and says they're trained. Then when they wet their pants, mom says it's an "accident." Once a week might legitimately be called an accident. But 5 times a day is not an accident, it's a kid that isn't truly trained.

And again, as a preschool director, I base this on a high level of observation of young kids and parents, not just one or two random anecdotes! ;)

1 year old trained??? Impossible. That is the average age of learning to walk. Even a 2 year old to be completely toilet trained is not common....still wearing overnites and pull-ups.

Mine were both trained by 1.5. I'm from Midwest USA and had them 18 months apart. I didn't want to live changing diapers all the time. My kids are special to me!

Or no one under 18 allowed onboard! OK.....just kidding but again the vocal minority (i.e. parents who think THEIR kids are perfect) try to change rules. Who is really "suffering" - the toddlers who won't even remember being not allowed in the pool, or the adults that don't want to swim in contaminated waters?

Exactly. Also, this isn't just about adults. I wouldn't want my 8 year old (who s far more likely to swallow water) in the same pool with a toddler.

From my experience and talking to others it seems girls potty train faster than boys and I think it is because boys don't care. I have seen boys that are 4 soil their pants because they were having too much fun to stop and interrupt what they are doing.

Personality I don't really care as I no longer use any public pools or hot tubs. None are properly maintained and many adults probably add worse to the pool than toddlers as you can see from their manners and habits at the buffet or using the lavs.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Celebrity has NOT gone far enough. There should be an adult only pool outside as well, so adults can enjoy no splashing, jumping, running , screaming, or irate parents when you find them and tell them.

Go ahead and flame, I am never afraid to say it like it is and very tired having to call attendants to have children removed for doing all that. Parents yeah right, as long as the darling is away from them, they dont care that they are disturbing other people in the pool. That has been my experience and I am telling it as it is.

Personality I don't really care as I no longer use any public pools or hot tubs. None are properly maintained and many adults probably add worse to the pool than toddlers as you can see from their manners and habits at the buffet or using the lavs.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Love it - so right. We have no idea how many incontinent pax are in those pools. It's supposed to be good for the skin, though :evilsmile:.

OK so maybe some are fully trained at a young age but the rules are about risk avoidance.

One accident - Celebrity has to drain the pool, pull staff from other duties to scrub and clean the pool, then refill. Then they get to "compensate" the passengers who complain the pool is closed because everyone thinks its all about them.

Their risk mitigation strategy is a clear and common rule clarification - no children under 3 and the risk is mostly avoided.

Good for you if you have a 2 year that is potty trained but the rules are for the safety of all and often must be written for the lowest common denominator which means the "other" parents who think their child is good to go.

Love it - so right. We have no idea how many incontinent pax are in those pools. It's supposed to be good for the skin, though :evilsmile:.

:D Perhaps Celebrity needs a new rule that states that incontinent people are not allowed in the pools or hot tubs.

Or no one under 3 or over 70 allowed .........or people with the drinks package!;)

Problems frequently arise from people just not doing their homework. There is an assumption that their child will be allowed in the pool. This type of situation is not just on cruise ships....We have experienced irate parents whose children have not been allowed in concierge lounges in hotels, children unable to dine in certain hotel restaurants....Much as staff patiently explain 'rules' because guests have not checked the smaller print in details they feel hard done to...they feel they are paying for a facility they can not enjoy.

At least the friend of the OP is in the PH and has a jacuzzi on the balcony that could be partially filled for his little ones to splash in and enough deck space to buy and set up a little padding pool...He has more options than most parents of under threes...

Several of the suites on the Edge seem suitable for extended families and groups...it will be interesting to see how Celebrity balances the pool use in that area. I can see conflicts between those who feel that they have 'paid' for peace and tranquility and those who feel that their children are also suite guests and entitled to some pool play time.

Perhaps in Celebrity's marketing it could state more clearly what facilities are not available for under threes....

Problems frequently arise from people just not doing their homework. There is an assumption that their child will be allowed in the pool. This type of situation is not just on cruise ships....We have experienced irate parents whose children have not been allowed in concierge lounges in hotels, children unable to dine in certain hotel restaurants....Much as staff patiently explain 'rules' because guests have not checked the smaller print in details they feel hard done to...they feel they are paying for a facility they can not enjoy.

At least the friend of the OP is in the PH and has a jacuzzi on the balcony that could be partially filled for his little ones to splash in and enough deck space to buy and set up a little padding pool...He has more options than most parents of under threes...

Several of the suites on the Edge seem suitable for extended families and groups...it will be interesting to see how Celebrity balances the pool use in that area. I can see conflicts between those who feel that they have 'paid' for peace and tranquility and those who feel that their children are also suite guests and entitled to some pool play time.

Perhaps in Celebrity's marketing it could state more clearly what facilities are not available for under threes....

I really like how you have stated your opinion.

:D Perhaps Celebrity needs a new rule that states that incontinent people are not allowed in the pools or hot tubs.

Or no one under 3 or over 70 allowed .........or people with the drinks package!;)

;p:D

You always get those who want their kids in the pool, no matter what age, arguing the incontinence issue.

What about that issue?Does anyone know if it is REALLY an issue?

I'd rather not have anyone's urine in my face or around my mouth (irrespective of age) :eek:, so keeping out is probably the best bet ;).

This is yet another reason parents of small children may want to think twice about choosing Celebrity over other cruise lines (although they all prevent swim diapers I believe). Do not misunderstand me - I have NO issue with children being onboard. But the facts are that Celebrity is not geared towards children. They accommodate older kids with kids club activities and small gathering areas. But they really don't cater to kids. They just don't.

(and for the record I don't understand why the Penthouse was mentioned either. Is the implication that kids in that cabin should have different rules?? I'll prefer to think it was just a casual mention....)

I respectfully disagree with Phoenix Dream. We took our kids from age 5 up to adults on Celebrity and they have wonderful childrens programs for the younger kids. If they have a downside it is for the older children but then most teens tend to go off by themselves in groups. The younger kids programs are great, sorry but that's my experience from actually taking kids on Celebrity and that has been backed up by numerous people on this board.

I agree totally about the policy with the diapers but tend to think the employee mentioned by the OP made a spur of the moment decision that may not last beyond that cruise.

Also, if anyone out there thinks Adults are not peeing in the pools, I have a bridge in Brooklyn you can buy.

Pee can be addressed with chlorine but fecal bacteria is the real problem...requires.automatic closure, draining cleaning/ sanitizing and refilling..spray park area is cleaner

I may be out to lunch on this "train of thought posting" but I wonder if some noro outbreaks have a "pool pooh" component?

8ddcb0057647f1a82cd0e982b45ab6e9--pooh-bear-piglets.jpg

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEXCNACELwBSFryq4qpAwkIARUAAIhCGAE=&rs=AOn4CLCK2OKs6S6Fivsxsfa1Ve57U76rPw

I object to this generalisation. I am 75 and do not have Alzheimer's or are incontinent. I would hope that anyone who is would avoid the pool.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pee can be addressed with chlorine but fecal bacteria is the real problem...requires.automatic closure, draining cleaning/ sanitizing and refilling..spray park area is cleaner

Have you been near a pool where you clearly smell chlorine? That's when there's too much pee in the pool, don't think that the water is clean because you smell it, don't bother getting in. This why the pools/spas are constantly drained on the ships. Even some adults think the chlorine is going to kill it, it's not. Get up and use the facilities, and this includes teaching kids not to pee in the pool at a young age, some kids think it's funny.

Celebrity has NOT gone far enough. There should be an adult only pool outside as well, so adults can enjoy no splashing, jumping, running , screaming, or irate parents when you find them and tell them.

Go ahead and flame, I am never afraid to say it like it is and very tired having to call attendants to have children removed for doing all that. Parents yeah right, as long as the darling is away from them, they dont care that they are disturbing other people in the pool. That has been my experience and I am telling it as it is.

No flaming here. Totally agree.

Hey you kids!!! Get offa my lawn!!! And no, I ain't gonna give you your ball back!!! Go play in your own yard!!!

Baaahhhhhh!!!!!!

Gee, I wonder why there's a brown bag on fire on my porch? What the??.....

There were always a few of those guys in my neighborhood; and I guess on cruise ships.

It may helps others:

My friend is currently cruising in the Penthouse on the Equinox in the Caribbean. Yesterday her 2 year old and other kids under the age of 3 (even in swim diapers) got pulled out of the pool and they stated NO KIDS under the age of 3 are allowed anymore in the pool. My friend had a chat last night with the Hotel Director and he stated it is a new overnight implemented rule.

Good for some, not so good for others.

It may changes again!

Considering the potential health risks, I'm glad to see this implemented. I don't buy the "But my child IS potty trained" routine.

I respectfully disagree with Phoenix Dream. We took our kids from age 5 up to adults on Celebrity and they have wonderful childrens programs for the younger kids. If they have a downside it is for the older children but then most teens tend to go off by themselves in groups. The younger kids programs are great, sorry but that's my experience from actually taking kids on Celebrity and that has been backed up by numerous people on this board.

I agree totally about the policy with the diapers but tend to think the employee mentioned by the OP made a spur of the moment decision that may not last beyond that cruise.

Also, if anyone out there thinks Adults are not peeing in the pools, I have a bridge in Brooklyn you can buy.

Yeah! I've seen pax in Costa Maya stay in that pool bar for hours & never move.