Duty Free/Dream

Anyone whos been on the Dream,are cigarettes by the carton and individual packets available to purchase on board?Also Spirits and tobbacco

Not been on the Dream but I don't think they sell duty free fags when they sail out of Palma ! One for checking with Berwyn when he gets back !!:)

They were very low on stock in many areas. Shop, Photo dept. etc.

Cigs £3.00 for 20.

NO Cigs / tobacco on flight home either

Berwyn

Thanks Berwyn

£3-00 for 20 isn`t bad,half price

Are the available only from the bar?

Dont get too excited, generally its crap like marlboro they flog you. Where we docked there was a duty free shop next to the ship. Sold 5 pouches of amberleaf for 14 euros. Not sure about cigs though but it may be worth a shot.

I came back from The Destiny yesterday.

I asked for cigs in the shop on board and was told they are not allowed to sell them when sailing within the EU.

I was shopping for a friend (I don't smoke) so I thought I would just get some at the Palma airport on the way home.

So I was amazed to see packs of 200 at £25 being sold over the bar in The Clipper bar- there were only 4 brands- Benson & Hedges plus 3 other well known brands.They weren't on show but were taken out of a cupboard when asked for.

But theyt didn't stock the ones I wanted,Superking Light, so I bought them at Palma airport 40euro for 200, or if you pay in sterling £36! Quite a saving if you use sterling.

Flopsy

So I was amazed to see packs of 200 at £25 being sold over the bar in The Clipper bar- there were only 4 brands- Benson & Hedges plus 3 other well known brands.They weren't on show but were taken out of a cupboard when asked for.

Flopsy,was this on the ship?

But theyt didn't stock the ones I wanted,Superking Light, so I bought them at Palma airport 40euro for 200, or if you pay in sterling £36! Quite a saving if you use sterling.

Thats a decent price for the airport.I was paying 36 euros in the resort for 200

JIm the Scot

Just off the Dream yesterday and the Duty Free shop was open for our trip, staff told me that this was the first week it was opened. (There shelves were cleared within hours of opening but as soon as they had time the shelves were re-stocked). They were selling 200 and 400 packs of all the "top" brands. Regal, JPS, Silk Cut (purple only), Mayfair as well as Golden Virginia and Drum etc. 200 Mayfair were £14.75, my sister tells me that Regal were working out at £1.50 a pack if buying 400 pack. Now some of the staff refused to sell anymore that 200 cigs as that was all the allowance we were allowed, but other staff said they were "duty bound" to inform us that 200 was our allowance and it was up to the individual if you took more. Many people were buying 6 and more 400 packs.

You could not buy cigs at Edinburgh Airport duty free or on the plane there or back though. Think 10 packs of Golden Virginia was around £40 on ship and over £60 in Palma airport.

This is from Heathrow airport allowence guide:

When travelling from the EU* to the UK you do not have to pay any tax or duty on goods you have bought in another EU country as long as tax was included in the price when you purchased the items, the items are for your own use, and have been transported to the UK by you. This includes gifts, but does not include any item that is intended to be used as payment or to be resold.

If you bring back large quantities of alcohol or tobacco, a Customs Officer is more likely to ask about the purposes for which you hold the goods. This will most likely be the case if you appear at the airport with more than:

3200 cigarettes

200 cigars

3 kg of smoking tobacco

* The EU countries currently include: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus (Greek part), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Irish Republic, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (but not the Canary Islands), Sweden and the United Kingdom (but not the Channel Islands).

Also when you fly to countries in the EU you are not allowed to buy cigarettes in the duty free shop or on board the plane.

I will be bringing lots back, only run out March this year of cigarettes brought back in May 2009 :D was under weight going out but over weight coming back didn't get charged.

JIm the Scot

Just off the Dream yesterday and the Duty Free shop was open for our trip, staff told me that this was the first week it was opened. (There shelves were cleared within hours of opening but as soon as they had time the shelves were re-stocked). They were selling 200 and 400 packs of all the "top" brands. Regal, JPS, Silk Cut (purple only), Mayfair as well as Golden Virginia and Drum etc. 200 Mayfair were £14.75, my sister tells me that Regal were working out at £1.50 a pack if buying 400 pack. Now some of the staff refused to sell anymore that 200 cigs as that was all the allowance we were allowed, but other staff said they were "duty bound" to inform us that 200 was our allowance and it was up to the individual if you took more. Many people were buying 6 and more 400 packs.

You could not buy cigs at Edinburgh Airport duty free or on the plane there or back though. Think 10 packs of Golden Virginia was around £40 on ship and over £60 in Palma airport.

Thanks for that,just what I was wanting to hear :D

They were selling 200 and 400 packs of all the "top" brands. Regal, JPS, Silk Cut (purple only), Mayfair as well as Golden Virginia and Drum etc. 200 Mayfair were £14.75, my sister tells me that Regal were working out at £1.50 a pack if buying 400 pack

Thats great,much the same price we were paying on our cruise last year

Now some of the staff refused to sell anymore that 200 cigs as that was all the allowance we were allowed,

Can`t understand that as there is no allowance.As long as what you bring/brought back is/was for your own personal use there was no limit(within reason) as such,as long as its for your own consumption

but other staff said they were "duty bound" to inform us that 200 was our allowance and it was up to the individual if you took more.

Again the same as our cruise last year.There actually people buying the whole box the cigarettes were being stored in

You could not buy cigs at Edinburgh Airport duty free or on the plane there or back though.

Was aware of that

Think 10 packs of Golden Virginia was around £40 on ship and over £60 in Palma airport

Thats about £12 more than last year but still a good price...To be honest I never buy at Palma aiport(or any airport)as its cheaper to buy on the island itself

Thanks again though

• 1 year later...
Can`t understand that as there is no allowance.As long as what you bring/brought back is/was for your own personal use there was no limit(within reason) as such,as long as its for your own consumption

Apologies for opening up an old thread.

Jim the Scot, how did you get on with your duty free purchase?

I know you said there should be no allowance, but that is only if you buy from within an EU country and pay the relevant tax, which on the cruise ship, you are not (i know when we sailed from Madeira, smokes were £30 for 400 (Canaries Cruise), but if flying from Madeira, being EU, you were searched leaving the ship to make sure you ahd no more than 200).

Flying to Majorca later in the year, on the Dream, so was wondering whether they still sell duty free on board, or whether it's better for us to buy them whil staying in Majorca the weke before?

hi just to let you know that jim the scot is currently in majorca starting his stay and cruise (Hes on the dream next week as i also am) we will let you know the current position when we return but what we found on the spirit las year was that the shops only opened when sailing , as I presume it becomes duty free when not in port and then you would be restricted I should imagine. sorry i packed up smoking 7 years ago but will try to find out if thats the case when i am on next week.

On the spirit doing adriatic earlier I was astounded to find we could get tobacco and spirits at duty free prices[1 bottle + 200 cigs each] when we were at sea. I queried this with the manager, as we were flying in and out of Corfu[EU], but he said it was legit. I assume it was because we were visiting non EU places during the trip, which would explain why you may not get it from Palma if you were staying within the EU

On the spirit doing adriatic earlier I was astounded to find we could get tobacco and spirits at duty free prices[1 bottle + 200 cigs each] when we were at sea. I queried this with the manager, as we were flying in and out of Corfu[EU], but he said it was legit. I assume it was because we were visiting non EU places during the trip, which would explain why you may not get it from Palma if you were staying within the EU

That's exactly it - if they go into at least one non-EU country during the cruise then the duty free is open whenever at sea. If all the countries are EU I believe the duty free will not be open.

Archived