First time going solo

Cleopatra13

Yesterday 11:44 AM

Cleopatra13

I am widowed 62 yrs old and find myself going on a cruise solo. Never travelled solo before but the cruise and airfare is paid for but have seriously thought about cancelling rather than go it alone. Then I tell myself I need to go for it - am afraid if I don't go now - I'll never go. Traveling on the Brillance - two back to back cruises (24 days) Greece and Venus on Aug 17. Struggling with this. Any advice anyone??

I'd say go for it! However, I've been traveling alone for many years (since I was 24).

Just found this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2494682

I hope reading it will encourage you to try cruising alone. However, I know everyone is different. My sister, for instance, would not be comfortable traveling alone. And that's absolutely fine!

Just because we are enthusiastic solo travelers, don't let us pressure you.

Have you cruised before, just not alone? Did you cruise with your husband and think this will bring back sad memories? You are from the U.S. (Florida), right? Do you have direct flights or transfers? What cruise line and airline?

I'm not just being nosy--some airlines are better than others and some cruise lines are easier than others (embarkation, et cetera).

(edited to add the great solo thread)

Yes. Been on many cruises - just not alone. On the Royal Carribean and flying on British airways. Never flown on British Airways and I do have connecting flights. It won't be sad - my husband would have wanted me to go for it. Just don't know how I'll handle dining, etc. - always had someone with me. Trying to figure it out.

Yes. Been on many cruises - just not alone. On the Royal Carribean and flying on British airways. Never flown on British Airways and I do have connecting flights. It won't be sad - my husband would have wanted me to go for it. Just don't know how I'll handle dining, etc. - always had someone with me. Trying to figure it out.

Excellent! There are lots of resources for you to research and prepare. I've never been on RCCL, but you should be able to ask your dining questions in the forum for the cruise line. People will be able to tell you how it's handled on that line. On the (only two) cruises I've been on in the past, dining wasn't a problem. On one, it was a scheduled seating and I opted for an 8-person table, because I wanted to meet new people. On the second, I could go to either seating and on a daily basis decided whether I wanted to eat alone or with others. That was for dinner (and lunch in the MDR). Buffets are not problem, of course. In specialty restaurants, I just made a reservation for one in advance. Again, I have no direct experience with RCCL, but there will be plenty of folks who can help.

Regarding the air travel, I highly recommend the forum at flyertalk.com. The posters there are not always as kind and patient as the majority are here, but the knowledge at flyertalk is vast. Look for threads about the airports which you'll be using. If you don't find anything with search, post your own questions. The posters at flyertalk are from everywhere and have flown everywhere, so they can tell you all you'll need to know.

I am also widowed and was 62 when I did my first solo cruise. It actually had been booked before by husband passed, I asked several friends and no one either could get time off or chose to go. I might add by husband had only been gone for 7 months but we were Diamond and I knew he would want me to go. I think it was good for me and I had an excellent time. I did a 9 day Canada/New England. I called the Crown and Anchor and made sure they knew why I was traveling alone and asked for fixed late sitting at a large table and single people if possible. Well table 8/ 3 couples and lovely MoM of one couple from England. I went to Diamond lounge first night and saw a woman sitting alone (70ish) , introduced myself and asked if she was alone, she was. We met for a drink each evening. I signed up for tours where I felt I would meet people. I think I was never alone , unless I chose to be. In fact, I meet another woman my age who was with a church group but alone and told her I had made dinner reservations at Chops . She met me for dinner and and realized she had a complimentry dinner for 2 so not only was it a nice evening but free for me as well.

I have been on 1 cruise and 1 in 2 weeks with family but will not hesitate to travel alone again in the future

I recently took my first solo cruise as well. It was wonderful!!! What helped me were the friendships I made in advance with my fellow shipmates using the Roll Call area of this forum. We planned a Meet and Greet, off-ship excursions, a evening meal at the Crown Grill, etc. I become friends with a woman who was traveling without her husband and we did a lot together on the ship and met for most meals. She didn't want to go to the shows, so I went alone and I was surprisingly comfortable doing so. There are many people who attend alone even if they aren't traveling alone. I enjoyed the balance of the R&R and socializing.

I wish you the best on your new chapter.

Cleopatra13

I am widowed 62 yrs old and find myself going on a cruise solo. Never travelled solo before but the cruise and airfare is paid for but have seriously thought about cancelling rather than go it alone. Then I tell myself I need to go for it - am afraid if I don't go now - I'll never go. Traveling on the Brillance - two back to back cruises (24 days) Greece and Venus on Aug 17. Struggling with this. Any advice anyone??

I agree with the folks who say to GO FOR IT:D...I have been cruising solo for almost 15 years and I love it. Once you

get on board the ship, I bet you will love it too. Check the roll call section for your cruise. It is a helpful way to meet other

people on the same sailing:)....and by the way, it sounds like a wonderful itinerary!....I think you meant to say Venice though:)

Venus would be REALLY far away:D

I recently took my first solo cruise as well. It was wonderful!!! What helped me were the friendships I made in advance with my fellow shipmates using the Roll Call area of this forum. We planned a Meet and Greet, off-ship excursions, a evening meal at the Crown Grill, etc. I become friends with a woman who was traveling without her husband and we did a lot together on the ship and met for most meals. She didn't want to go to the shows, so I went alone and I was surprisingly comfortable doing so. There are many people who attend alone even if they aren't traveling alone. I enjoyed the balance of the R&R and socializing.

I wish you the best on your new chapter.

Thank you. I'll check out Roll Call forum.

Cleopatra13

Yes, my advise is not to focus on "the going alone" part of the cruise. That's just a fact and nothing you can do about it. Period, end of story. That being said and moving forward....focus on the things you want to see and do on board this ship and in the ports of call. Read and research everything you can about your cruise and plan, plan, plan. Study the deck plans, shore tours offered, maps and sights in each port and make a lot notes. Make a general outline of your vacation. You see...if have have a general idea of what you will be doing then you will have an idea of what to expect and that built excitement and lessens anxiety. Otherwise, just winging it leads to too much uncertainty as you are clearly telling us. Sure, it's hard to go it alone. But, I've been on many cruises solo and never had a bad one. You have to go into it with positive attitude and a big smile on your face; otherwise, you might as well stay home. As I always stated not only are cruises a great way to travel; but perfect for solo travelers since it's a great way to meet new people. Cruises are very social places. Sure, you will have some alone time and that's perfectly OK. Plan for it. Make sure you book traditional fixed dining at a table of 6-8. This way you will have dining companions each night and a great way to meet new folks over a meal. Also, get out of your cabin and participate in the ship's organized activity like team trivia, etc. This is how you meet other people. There is a ship's newsletter each days with activities from sunrise to well past midnight. Happy cruising.

I'm looking at booking a single solo cabin on NCL next year' date=' as NCL appears to be my best bet without paying a extraordinary single supplement.[/quote']

Be sure to visit the solo studio lounge every evening. The ship assigns a host/hostess who arranges group dining in the complimentary restaurants for breakfast or dinner and VIP seating in the entertainment venues. You will get a daily planner of solo events for the week. Of course, you have the option of doing your own thing if you want but you have 24/7 access to the lounge. The lounge offers continental breakfast and snacks, has a coffee machine for lattes, cappuccinos, etc., wine (for a fee), and juice dispenser. I sailed solo in March on NCL Escape and met a fabulous group of solos.

I think 24 days for a first solo cruise is a bit much, but since you're booked and paid for, go for it. Have you ever cruised before?

Roz

May 29, 2017 is my first solo cruise. The NCL Sky is going to Havana, Cuba. I have some of the same feelings and questions, but it should be so busy I won't even realize I'm alone. I hope you go on your cruise and have a blast. People are really nice and open on cruises.

As a widow I agree with you it is the unknown that causes fear. We have been used to being a couple now the fifth wheel. I have the same problem, I want to start traveling again but I want to feel comfortable. I am looking at longer cruises of 20 plus days. Any suggestions for cruise lines would be helpful for a senior citizen.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of seniors on HAL. I just didn't like their ships. No real atrium. Guest services was in a basement like place with shore excursion desk. Oosterdam food all tasted like water.

If you are anxious about being seated alone do a set dining time. My first solo I was nervous until I walked on board then all was good. Do what you want when you want.

Cleopatra - I am at the same place as you are. I lost my DW in January just before our scheduled annual cruise, which I cancelled. Next January is already scheduled and mostly paid for. I too have struggled with canceling or going. Losing your best friend and traveling companion is really hard - everything becomes a new "first". My DW was the social one - she never met a stranger while I was the reserved one. I have been working on expanding my comfort level which I need to do just for my own peace of mind. I haven't joined my roll call yet, but have been monitoring it. One step at a time. I will be sailing on Jewel, which is a sister ship of Brilliance. They are both good size ships - lots of things to do and exposure to the other passengers, still lots of space for alone time. Good luck Cleopatra.

I have cruised solo on Royal, Celebrity, MSC, and Oceania. My favorites are Celebrity and Oceania. I agree with those that have suggested a fixed time for dinner at a large table. And if you don't like the mix at your table, you can request a change. The person in charge of the seating actually has the ages of the people at the table. So I just asked for a range . . . and not all the same name ie if it's a family, I felt like I was intruding. MSC was not a good fit for me as a solo, as most of the time I was seated with people that did not speak English. That would be fine if I was with somebody - but didn't enjoy that experience as a solo.

My husband is not retired but I am. So we cruise together sometimes, and I cruise solo every winter. Some people think that it is strange to cruise without my husband. But they get over it. Some tell me I'm brave. Nahhh........

I've booked private excursions and ship excursions. I've even wandered alone off the ship - depending where.

I am watching for my next solo cruise in January or February.

Cleopatra - I am also a widow and will be on the August 29th sailing of the Brilliance, which appears to be the second leg of your b2b. My sister is joining me on this trip, and we are in about the same age group as you, I am a little older and my sister is a little younger. So no worries--you will have company. See you on board!

• 1 month later...

I love cruising solo, one thing to consider "Don't worry about telling people about your married life with your husband".

One thing I noticed at the tables is married couple don't often talk in depth about their relationship - which makes sense, but often I think the couple take each other for grant too.

When talking to widow(er)s or in some cases a spouse who has to travel without the other for some reason they will talk in more glowing terms about their spouse.

Now, you must realize I am 60 years old and never been married, I find listening to people very interesting, and I really like it when they open up to me.

Tell us your funny stories, tells about what kept you together, we will listen.

I hope I did not come across a creepy old man, I am really interested in talking to new and interesting people.