Question for someone who did a Hawaii to Australia cruise

If you are asking if you can go out at night, the answer is "Yes" if it is a port call.There will be an 'all-aboard' time - likely to be 10pm or 10.30pm if that port is a port call.

If the Hawaii port is the start of a cruise, the 'all-aboard' time is likely to be an hour before departure. It will be up to US Immigration whether you can go out again after checking in for a cruise (in the case of the cruise starting at that port).

Thank you Aus Traveller. It is the starting point and our boarding time is 1:30 but we want to have dinner in Hawaii instead of in the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

seeing you embark the ship you may not be allowed off once you check in and it depends what time they have the muster

Thank you Aus Traveller. It is the starting point and our boarding time is 1:30 but we want to have dinner in Hawaii instead of in the ship.

As it is the starting point of the cruise I suggest that you check in then enquire from US immigration officials (if you can get to talk to them) if you will be permitted to disembark after boarding the ship. If you cannot get to the immigration officials, maybe the staff at the check in will know or can find out for you. In Australia in the past, sometimes it was not allowed, but now it seems to be OK. That doesn't help you, but I mention it to illustrate that it is not easy to get a definite answer from us here. You will have to find out the situation applying in Hawaii for your cruise.

A 'fall back' option would be to put your main luggage in and check in but not board until afer dinner. You would have to enquire what the latest time would be, then plan to be there maybe an hour ahead of that time. It would mean you would have to fill in the afternoon ashore and keep your valuables (the stuff you don't want to hand over as luggage) with you. As Bob mentioned, you will have to board before the muster drill.

Wondering if someone who has cruised from Hawaii to Australia can answer a question for me. We are not leaving Hawaii until 11 pm do you know if we are allowed to go off the ship that mighty?

See you are on Carnival Legend for Sept 17. We were on that cruise last year. We were not allowed off after boarding as we had already been processed through immigration. Also we had to be aboard before 5.30pm (immigration officers most probably wanted to go home). Muster Drill was at 10pm and some people had to be dragged out of bed in their pj's to attend.

It seems you have your answer already from Rickays but I wanted to point out that generally they will have a time that you have to be checked in by and this will govern when you need to be on the ship and has nothing to do with the departure time. Immigration is not likely to let you back off.

• 1 month later...
See you are on Carnival Legend for Sept 17. We were on that cruise last year. We were not allowed off after boarding as we had already been processed through immigration. Also we had to be aboard before 5.30pm (immigration officers most probably wanted to go home). Muster Drill was at 10pm and some people had to be dragged out of bed in their pj's to attend.

Muster at 10pm??? I'm travelling with two young kids on my own. That won't be fun for me or anyone near us at the muster.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the transpacific from Hawaii last year on the Legend. Once you boarded in Honolulu you couldn't get off. Learnt that the hard way! The muster was at 10pm local time and the sail away party was at 11pm. Not a fan of the later times as at 10/11pm most either wanted to sleep or were too drunk to stand straight (especially if you've been onboard since 1-2pm) they had to redo the drill for some with young kids the next morning. I remember speaking to a couple who had just flown into Honolulu from Sydney the same day as the boat left and they just wanted to sleep as soon as they got on the boat as they were Jetlaged. They were so out of it they slept past the horns alarms and continuous loud noises associated with the drill and woke up in a panic at 3 am.

Muster at 10pm??? I'm travelling with two young kids on my own. That won't be fun for me or anyone near us at the muster.

We too did this one, I was sent to the area set aside for disabilities. I was carrying one child and the other was struggling to stand. Thankfully I was spotted and told to come and sit down. Make yourself known and visible is my hint.