Can't get a decent G&T

We love Regent but you can't get a decent G&T because of the low quality tonic water. Gin is so in these days and a good quality tonic water is essential. Please Regent, why not adopt tins of Fevertree tonic on board, then we would love you forever:D:cocktail:

We love Regent but you can't get a decent G&T because of the low quality tonic water. Gin is so in these days and a good quality tonic water is essential. Please Regent, why not adopt tins of Fevertree tonic on board, then we would love you forever:D:cocktail:

Yes would agree wth you re the tonic. Fevertree is a favourite of ours, but never seen it onboard yet. Jean.

Agree - you need to request special products. Since this is not a mainstream tonic in the U.S. (Canada Dry, Schweppes etc. are), it is unlikely that Regent will stock it for all passengers,. Regent would certainly make it available (if possible) for guests that make requests far enough in advance.

P.S. Making requests is not unusual. Regent does not stock Diet 7-up which is our preference so we pre-order it for our cruises. It is simple and works well.

Just an aside, gin isn't as popular here .... maybe the trend will cross the pond. When I saw this thread I was clueless. Guess we all learn something new every day. I'm curious what top gin brands are "in" there. I have yet to acquire a taste but may try it again onboard next month. Tonic is good for keeping mosquitos away so "G&T" may work well in some ports:halo:

Just an aside, gin isn't as popular here .... maybe the trend will cross the pond. When I saw this thread I was clueless. Guess we all learn something new every day. I'm curious what top gin brands are "in" there. I have yet to acquire a taste but may try it again onboard next month. Tonic is good for keeping mosquitos away so "G&T" may work well in some ports:halo:

I'm no expert but there are so many individual smaller brands on the market that many people seem to be turning to and yes as the previous posts have suggested they do require a decent tonic water, if you need the mixer, Fever-Tree being our first choice. Our favourite gin is Monkey 47 with Martin Miller's a close second, but everyone will have their own individual taste. There is a definite resurgence of gin in the UK and I read recently that sales were up about 14 per cent this year. It is becoming very popular in cocktails and to drink neat. Can't wait for my G&T this evening.

Actually gin has become more popular in the US. Many bars have increased the brands they offer and even carry some boutique brands. There are even bars that offer gin menus. Fever Tree tonic is the best as far as I'm concerned and was introduced to it when visiting The Plymouth Gin factory in the U.K. many years ago. Haven't looked back ever since.

I'm calling Regent today to request it. Fingers crossed I'm not to late - only 38 more days!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm no expert but there are so many individual smaller brands on the market that many people seem to be turning to and yes as the previous posts have suggested they do require a decent tonic water, if you need the mixer, Fever-Tree being our first choice. Our favourite gin is Monkey 47 with Martin Miller's a close second, but everyone will have their own individual taste. There is a definite resurgence of gin in the UK and I read recently that sales were up about 14 per cent this year. It is becoming very popular in cocktails and to drink neat. Can't wait for my G&T this evening.

Hello Thameside, well I've never heard of Monkey 47 or Martin Miller gin. Must go shopping for it this weekend. My husband and I enjoy Plymouth. Love Fever Tree tonic and will call Regent today to request it.

Monkey 47 is a great, wonderful, very expensive gin and is from Germany. It has only been available in the US less than three years, so that is why you aren't familiar with it and Regent won't be stocking that anytime soon based on how long it took Hendricks to be on the ship! I agreed with fever tree also and most better stores in the US do indeed carry it.

Monkey 47 is a great, wonderful, very expensive gin and is from Germany. It has only been available in the US less than three years, so that is why you aren't familiar with it and Regent won't be stocking that anytime soon based on how long it took Hendricks to be on the ship! I agreed with fever tree also and most better stores in the US do indeed carry it.

Thanks for the info on Monkey 47. I called Regent this morning to request Fever Tree tonic and their rep said he'd request it but we didn't have much time (sailing 8/30). Might have to purchase some in Vancouver to bring on board[emoji12]

Actually gin has become more popular in the US. Many bars have increased the brands they offer and even carry some boutique brands. There are even bars that offer gin menus. Fever Tree tonic is the best as far as I'm concerned and was introduced to it when visiting The Plymouth Gin factory in the U.K. many years ago. Haven't looked back ever since.

I'm calling Regent today to request it. Fingers crossed I'm not to late - only 38 more days!

Not sure where you live -- perhaps it is just where we live that gin is not popular. Restaurants do carry a few brands but they have not increased them. To me gin tastes like flowers and scotch tastes charcoal. People that I know that drink gin (actually, that is two people - both CC members) drink Hendricks. IMO, the. most popular alcohol in our state (and apparently on Regent - based on the numbers of brands offered) is vodka. My personal preferences are vodka (not too fussy on brands), tequila (Patron or Don Julio) or Jameson Irish Whiskey

My DH just chimed in and told me that gin has always been popular in the U.K. because that is what the Queen drinks. Not sure if she still does.

Agree that gin seems to be gaining in popularity. We are seeing more gin-based drinks on menus in our area. I was at one of Jose Andres' LA area restaurants recently, and one of the featured cocktails was Hendricks and Fever Tree Tonic. :D

Gin has long been popular in the southeastern U.S. Very likely because it's considered refreshing in the hot weather (she says in North Carolina, looking at an outdoor thermostat that says 98 degrees, and I-don't-even-want-to-know-the-humidity-level.

Not a gin fan myself, but see lots of people here going for the G&T.

Our favorite new GT is Fever Tree tonic water and The Botanist, a relatively new gin from....Scotland!

The Botanist also makes a fine Martini gin, but Hendricks remains our favorite. No vermouth required! Like the apocryphal Winston Churchill very dry martini, which involved two measures of Plymouth gin and a bow in the general direction of France!

(In truth, he didn't drink martinis, and famously poured an FDR martini (that involved equal parts of gin and vermouth) into a potted plant....)

I really want to try Fever Tree tonic. I don't know where I can get it in the NY state (not the city) area. I'm a somewhat reformed vodka drinker and now enjoy a Hendricks with cucumber in hot weather. I still do like vodka and unless I can get Hendricks, I don't do gin. Would, however like to try The Botanist!

I was obsessed with Hendricks until I was introduced to Nolet's Silver. The one gin I could drink on the rocks. From Holland, established 1691. In the same family for 10 generations. Fruity and floral, great muddled with strawberries and Fever Tree. Is is 5 o'clock yet!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our favorite new GT is Fever Tree tonic water and The Botanist, a relatively new gin from....Scotland!

The Botanist also makes a fine Martini gin, but Hendricks remains our favorite. No vermouth required! Like the apocryphal Winston Churchill very dry martini, which involved two measures of Plymouth gin and a bow in the general direction of France!

(In truth, he didn't drink martinis, and famously poured an FDR martini (that involved equal parts of gin and vermouth) into a potted plant....)

Hendricks is also made in Scotland and is my personal favourite, with fever tree of course yum

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wife is a gin drinker she mostly drinks Tanqueray gin on the rocks a little dirty ( olive juice ). I don't like gin myself or Scotch, drink mostly Crown Royal or Absolute vodka or good dry red wine.

The past evils of Gin in the UK:

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/hogarth-gin-lane-t01799

Looks sort of like the pool deck of the Explorer after a meeting of the Margarita and Bloody Mary Society.....I think there could've been a couple of Hendricks and cukes involved there as well.......

Yes - despite the fact that you and "Z" had Hendricks sometimes, the "Margarita and Bloody Mary Society" had a great time:D. Maybe on my cruise next month I'll ask for 1/4 shot of Hendricks. I'm not much of a tonic fan either but do have vodka and tonic occasionally (I'm fine with the tonic served on Regent but then, I'm not a connoisseur).

The past evils of Gin in the UK:

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/hogarth-gin-lane-t01799

Looks sort of like the pool deck of the Explorer after a meeting of the Margarita and Bloody Mary Society.....I think there could've been a couple of Hendricks and cukes involved there as well.......

Funny!

I am getting mighty thirsty right now! As a Hendrick's fan, I love it with sliced strawberries that pick up the juniper essence that is just wonderful when eating them after you finish your drink. I am also a big fan of Zacapa rum on the rocks. I may have to ask Regent for some in our cabin for our November cruise.

Z and TB