Size of PG Excursions? How many people?

Smbruner

Can anyone tell me about how many people PG has on their excursions?

I'm looking at their Dolphin Watching Experience with Dr. Poole as well as the other snorkel trips they offer.

Thanks so much

Dr. Poole's boat holds perhaps about 15 people, as I remember.

In general excursions are on the smaller side, because of the size of boats. Land trips might be a bit bigger i you're on a bus, but these are rare.

Good to know - thank you for your quick reply!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I agree. As other posters mentioned, Dr. Poole's boat holds about 15 people. The snorkel excursions are fairly small as the boats only hold about 10-15 people. The bus tours are bigger (we did one on Huahine), but not huge. There were maybe 25 people on our bus. We also did a 4X4 tour in Bora Bora and those trucks only hold about 8 people.

Some of the snorkel tours can have upwards of 50 people. They contract out and the companies they use on Moorea and Bora Bora have very large boats for most of the snorkel tours. Consider booking privately for a better and less expensive experience.

I have read this on other posts and am interested in alternatives. For instance, would the Patrick tour on Bora Bora potentially be a large group (especially for the snorkeling) versus a more private one?

And if so, would a private tour with Raanui or someone else provide a more personal and just as enjoyable snorkeling and motu experience? Or, would it be better to skip the motu luncheon type excursion and just do a snorkeling only excursion with Pure Snorkeling? With Pure, I assume it would get done in time that we could have lunch back on PG and then go to the private motu that PG has for the afternoon.

This will be our first time with PG and in FP, and we normally book private tours to keep the group size low, but groups like Patrick's get such strong recommendation that I am torn as to what to book.

I guess one other alternative would be to do both a Patrick excursion one day and a Pure Snorkeling excursion the next.

Looking for ideas, thanks!

Doug

I have read this on other posts and am interested in alternatives. For instance, would the Patrick tour on Bora Bora potentially be a large group (especially for the snorkeling) versus a more private one?

And if so, would a private tour with Raanui or someone else provide a more personal and just as enjoyable snorkeling and motu experience? Or, would it be better to skip the motu luncheon type excursion and just do a snorkeling only excursion with Pure Snorkeling? With Pure, I assume it would get done in time that we could have lunch back on PG and then go to the private motu that PG has for the afternoon.

This will be our first time with PG and in FP, and we normally book private tours to keep the group size low, but groups like Patrick's get such strong recommendation that I am torn as to what to book.

I guess one other alternative would be to do both a Patrick excursion one day and a Pure Snorkeling excursion the next.

Looking for ideas, thanks!

Doug

Hi Doug52,

We also are doing the PG Patricks full day Snorkel/Polynesian feast on Day 1 in Bora Bora. We did it back in 2014 and it was great but at that time we were on Oceania and they are not contracted with Patrick. We were able to book independently at a much reduced cost then what PG is charging. I tried booking with Patrick directly early in the year and he said he was not able to book PG guest, that we had to reserve thru the PG Excursions because he is contracted out with PG when they are in Port. Independent booking price $130/ PG Booking price for same tour $199. But we enjoyed him so much we are going back and have it booked for our day 1 via PG.

Day 2 Bora Bora we are also going back with Reef Discovery (Pure Snorkeling). They too were awesome back in 2014 and I did not hesitate to rebook with them. Tour ended around 1P and Reef was nice enough to drop us off at the dock for Bloody Mary's where we went and had lunch. We plan to do the same thing on our trip in October.

Bora Bora is amazing!!!

That sounds great! I think we will do a full day with either Patrick or Raanui on the first day and Pure snorkeling and a lunch at Bloody Mary's on day 2.

Although somehow I want to work in a visit to the private motu PG uses.

Such awful problems to work out[emoji57].

Thanks!

Doug

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Patrick has about 4 outriggers so depending on the amount of people from the ship and by private tour will depend how many outriggers he will use. However, the good news is each outrigger is skippered by a different person who will take a maximum of 12 on one boat and head for a certain spot with all other outriggers going to different spots and then exchanging the locations so everyone gets the same locations to snorkel. Then typically only the ships groups will come together for the motu BBQ.

Raanui has a few boats with the large one able to handle 16 - 20 people. Typically a different area for snorkeling than Patrick and the BBQ version is on a different motu. Raanui has the better price but Patrick gives what people expect in the imagination in the South Pacific. Outrigger, snorkeling, music, motu lunch from an in-ground oven .... but a higher price.

Hopefully that helps.

Patrick has about 4 outriggers so depending on the amount of people from the ship and by private tour will depend how many outriggers he will use. However, the good news is each outrigger is skippered by a different person who will take a maximum of 12 on one boat and head for a certain spot with all other outriggers going to different spots and then exchanging the locations so everyone gets the same locations to snorkel. Then typically only the ships groups will come together for the motu BBQ.

Raanui has a few boats with the large one able to handle 16 - 20 people. Typically a different area for snorkeling than Patrick and the BBQ version is on a different motu. Raanui has the better price but Patrick gives what people expect in the imagination in the South Pacific. Outrigger, snorkeling, music, motu lunch from an in-ground oven .... but a higher price.

Hopefully that helps.

Great comparison Tahaitian, I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed in what Patrick's provides. Perfect Polynesian experience!

Last week we did our 5th tour with Pure Snorkeling. It was excellent as always and they keep the group to no more than 8. You are done by 1 and they did drop us off at Bloody Mary's. This was our first time there and I would not waste my time. It is simply a bar with a dirt floor. We had drinks and the Bloody Mary was so poor that we could not drink it.

If you want to go to the motu that is tough as by the time you get back to the ship it will be about 1:00 -1:30 and if you eat lunch you will not have a lot of time. The tender runs only every hour. You may be able to get Pure Snorkeling to drop you off at the motu but then you would not have had lunch.

Last week we did our 5th tour with Pure Snorkeling. It was excellent as always and they keep the group to no more than 8. You are done by 1 and they did drop us off at Bloody Mary's. This was our first time there and I would not waste my time. It is simply a bar with a dirt floor. We had drinks and the Bloody Mary was so poor that we could not drink it.

If you want to go to the motu that is tough as by the time you get back to the ship it will be about 1:00 -1:30 and if you eat lunch you will not have a lot of time. The tender runs only every hour. You may be able to get Pure Snorkeling to drop you off at the motu but then you would not have had lunch.

I totally agree about Bloody Mary's.

We went for lunch many years ago and the food was underwhelming and the Bloody Mary was also undrinkable. I have heard dinner is much better but I'll never find out personally!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great input from everyone, thanks. I think we will do Patrick one day and Pure the next and just skip lunch and hopefully spend a couple of hours at the private beach and catch the last tender back. Will be ready for a big dinner that night!

One other question, will PG have the Patrick tour available on both days? I can get the Pure tour on either day.

Doug

And what time would be the last tender back to the ship?

Thanks for all the help figuring out this day!!

Also sorry to the OP hi jacking this thread, but hopefully this also has helped to address the original question.

Doug

4 pm

Tahitian,

Just want to make sure I understand the timings of the tenders. We are in Port in Bora Bora on Day 2 until 11PM.

Is 4pm the last tender that day as you stated. Seems like since it is still daylight and we are not leaving Port until 11pm that there would be some later tenders? 4P seems so early

As I understand it, mahana is the Tahaa stop. BB just has a private beach with no facilities

Doug

Doug, sorry for my confusion, you are correct. Motu Mahana is on our port day in Taha. After all morning in the sun and water with Reef Discovery, I don't think we will be heading out to the PG Private Beach in Bora Bora. We will probably stick with our original plan to be dropped off at Bloody Mary's by Reef Discovery. Bloody Mary's is not a 5 Star lunch by any means but we enjoyed a light bit of food and a drink before heading back to the Port. I kinda think Bloody Mary's is a cool place and I am sure it is more atmosphere then fantastic food but it was fun and we will be hungry. All the others who were on our Reef Tour got off at Bloody Mary's too and it was a fun lunch with our snorkeling group that day. I was told our first time there in 2014 that Bloody Mary's is just one of those places you need to stop and see while in Bora Bora. I was glad we did. :)

Sounds like a great plan. Just looked at Notions thread and slideshow where he shows Bloody Mary's and it does look like the kind of place to visit at least once. I am not a big bloody mary fan anyway, so I can just get a beer and enjoy the ambiance.

Doug

Sounds like a great plan. Just looked at Notions thread and slideshow where he shows Bloody Mary's and it does look like the kind of place to visit at least once. I am not a big bloody mary fan anyway, so I can just get a beer and enjoy the ambiance.

Doug

Will be a fun day, I think you will be very happy with Patrick's in Bora Bora and Reef Discovery. Both involve the beautiful water of the BB lagoon and snorkeling but very different excursions. Equally excellent!

Are you doing Patrick's on Day1 BB and Reef on Day 2, Maybe they will put os on the same boat together for Reef Discovery. Their boats are much smaller, probably no more then 6-8 people.