How early do you pack?

Notonboard

Well, although we actually pack the suitcases the day before we leave, my DW starts getting things out to pack weeks ahead, maybe a month. Then I cruise through and stuff the bags.

Although we don't have to fly this time, our packing is a little complicated on this trip. We live south of Tucson, AZ, and we are driving first to San Jose to visit our daughter and family. Pack for that visit. Then drive to San Pedro and the cruise. Pack for that. Drive home, with a stop in the San Berdoo area. Not much packing for that, but still I don't want to drag all the luggage into the motel.

We start months ahead.

It starts with putting stuff in the cruise pile as I come across things. Then we put out shirts in an extra room. Dh and I like to match themes for daywear - not the same shirt, but themes. Like Disney, sports teams, certain colors, ports, cruise line, etc.) For nights, my outfit matches the color of his shirt and/or tie. That takes some time and coordination!

I know, I know! It 's corny! But, the pictures come out cute!

As they say - the planning is half the fun!

If the stuff I'm taking is out of season, then I have a special process. For example if it's winter and I'm going to warm weather. I have a folding clothing rack that I will take out, it holds a lot of stuff. I take my clothes out of their storage bags and choose what I'm taking. I hang everything up on the rack and then go through the process of steaming out the wrinkles, then put them back on the rack. I leave the rack up until the night before we leave, then fold everything and put it in the suitcase. If it's the same season as home, then it makes my life a lot easier! I don't put clothes (excluding swimwear and pajamas) in the suitcase way ahead so as to reduce wrinkling and find this really helps a lot. For my toiletries I have a permanently packed case that I just have to throw in the suitcase. But I certainly do start thinking about what I'm packing a long time in advance so it's less stressful when time to get ready. And I usually make a list of outfits to keep it straight in my head.

I pack about three weeks ahead of time. I first choose what I want to bring, and put it on the bed. Once all my outfits are put together with jewelry, then I start on DH's packing. DH's tux and button pin get packed too. I am able to fit everything for two into 4 carry-on. I could do it with three stuffed, but four works better.

We do walk on and walk off with the luggage . We drive to the port. I don't carry a purse when boarding. All boarding passes and passports, and cell phone are on the outside zip of the luggage.

To get through the X-ray machine all I have to do is put two pieces up on the belt. I get through real fast because I don't have to empty any pockets, take belts off etc. We get right through.

I pack light clothing. No jeans, which are heavy.

I use packing cubes and folders. The cubes I take right out of the suit case and put into the closet. I just open them up.

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packing-cubes/l/212

Folders

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packing-folders/l/211

I buy them when they are on sale.

We've had some stuff set aside in a drawer for months - don't sail until October 8. My wife setup a table in her sewing room the other day to start laying things out to (try) to make sure we don't forget anything. My daughter said she was crazy to start "so early" but then she doesn't cruise. She thinks I'm really crazy for spending so much time on CC and thinking about cruising. ;)

The list starts the day I book the cruise...not sailing until next March, but the list has been done for almost a year with revisions every now and then. I also keep a file tray to set all my notes in and everything is kept together. Clothes come out of the closet about a month ahead of time and sorted on the dining room table. About a week before everything gets ironed and put into the suitcase two days ahead of time. The process is like a well-oiled machine!!!

P.S. Thanks Princess for providing a self serve Laundromat so I can re-iron everything once it comes out of the suitcase.

Since we always drive to Ft Lauderdale there's no need to pack any more than a day or two before.

We travel as light as possible & don't pack any more than what we absolutely need. If we forget it, we can always buy it as needed....and not on the ship either. ;)

Their prices are much to expensive for me.

Usually start a day or two before, depending on length of trip and where we are going. Even a 21 day Med cruise got easier with Elite status and free laundry. Gave a little more thought to river cruise this summer. I usually go through in my head what I will need and how it will all fit. Make sure to not forget irreplaceable items, meds, etc. Usually forget something but hope it is easily replaced. That's why I now have my Aruba hat, cost $5 at the dock and works as a souvenir.

we start a couple of weeks before the cruise. We use a 8 ft folding table in my wife's sewing room and lay out what we are going to take. We have most of our "repeat" cruise items in box like rain gear, sun hat etc and also start going through the box to see what we are going to take. About a day before we leave, we double check that we have everything and then split the clothes into two suit cases so that if one get's lost, we at least have some of our clothes. So far, we have been lucky, our luggage has arrived safely.

I make a list a month ahead. List all coordinating outfits. Then start eliminating. A week before I open the suitcase and start. This trip is Canada/New England so first time and will have to fiquire out layers. Going to Fenway so my Tiger shirt is must have.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Forums mobile app

Wow! I don't feel so silly now after reading these posts. Now my husband sees I'm not the only one. I always buy items that look like they'd be good for cruising. Then I save them away. About two-three months before booked cruise I start laying out all the clothes and start eliminating items. Goal is one big suitcase each and a carry on. Then I figure out what we may still need. I freshen up all clothes by washing them to remove new smells. Still keep eliminating and adding. I want to bring out suitcase month prior, but that would really freak out our fur babies. Finally I actually pack the suitcase maybe 2-3 days prior to leaving. Are any of us related? LOL

We stay packed. I learned from a friend a long time ago to wash/dry clean all the clothing when we get home, replace some items, then repack for the next cruise. Of course, we pack the additional list items in the last couple days prior to leaving.

I have also done this too. When out cruises are less than a month apart is when I do that.

Take heart, OP, you are not the only one who packs early! :p

I pack all of our toiletries about 4-5 weeks in advance. We have at least 2 of everything we need, so one stays at home all ready for when we return and the other gets packed (we have two flat irons, two blow-dryers, 2 big round brushes, 2 extra toothbrushes, 2 shampoos, 2 astringents, etc. - 2 of every kind of toiletry we need).

Then, about 3 weeks prior, I pull out all of my clothes and hang them on 2 rolling clothes racks. This helps me plan what I'm wearing each day. I pack the clothes last - on top of all the other stuff in the bags - about 4-5 days prior to leaving.

Everything is usually packed and ready to go 3 days before we leave. If I forget something, we buy it. ;)

Always pack early, especially for a 7 night cruise. I have my list and check things off as it goes into the suitcase. The only last minute things I pack are formal clothes and toiletries. It would kill me to me a last minute packer

We leave for Enchantment 3 night cruise a week from Friday and other than our dinner clothes and toiletries I am packed.

I have a list that I print out and cross out items that are not needed for my next cruise.

I start pulling out items about a week in advance. I separate into "must bring" and "want to bring" piles.

About 4-5 days before leaving, I start packing my cubes, starting with "unmentionables" and then the must haves.

Two days before leaving, I finish packing my cubes and add in some of the "want to bring" items if there's room in the cubes. I also organize toiletries, medications, etc.

The day before leaving, I pull out my suitcase and pack the cubes, toiletries, etc. It usually doesn't take long.

I try to be organized as I know that almost always, something will come up that needs my attention that last day that I hadn't planned for.

I have a list that I print out and cross out items that are not needed for my next cruise.

I start pulling out items about a week in advance. I separate into "must bring" and "want to bring" piles.

About 4-5 days before leaving, I start packing my cubes, starting with "unmentionables" and then the must haves.

Two days before leaving, I finish packing my cubes and add in some of the "want to bring" items if there's room in the cubes. I also organize toiletries, medications, etc.

The day before leaving, I pull out my suitcase and pack the cubes, toiletries, etc. It usually doesn't take long.

I try to be organized as I know that almost always, something will come up that needs my attention that last day that I hadn't planned for.

Earlier I told my wife we need to start doing this. We not only cruise but have been camping for many years. We do have a camping list and it makes things incredibly easy. I'm sure I will start a cruising list soon. :cool:

I'm a last minute packer. I'm usually doing laundry the night before we leave and am usually just zipping up the suitcase when the limo comes to pick us up....BUT, I have my list planned out about a month ahead of time so it's easy to just take stuff from the closet to the suitcase. Knock on wood I have never forgotten anything