Trying to decide between Princess and NCL

Shutterlady

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions between Princess (Island) and NCL (Jade) for going thru the Panama Canal. I was looking at a cruise at the end of December 2018. I've only been on Princess once, back in 2004 (and loved it). Since then I've only cruised Carnival and they don't cruise the Panama Canal when I'm able to go. I've been trying to compare mini-suites. It appears that the NCL mini-suite is smaller than the Princess mini-suite (especially the bathroom). The price is almost the same. One more day on the NCL. I just wondered if anyone has cruised both lines and had an opinion.

I know you didn't ask this but... Unless you are booking one of the aft suites or something on Island try to sail Coral Princess instead. Aft viewing areas were replaced by cabins on Island.

Been on both. Princess all the way!

I agree. Friends don't let friends cruise NCL.

I assume you're posting this on the NCL board too, because you probably want a balanced look at things. But I'll say our last cruise on NCL was our last, if you know what I mean. We were stuck in a cabin with a malfunctioning toilet for a week, being told every day that it would be fixed. The final straw came when we finally got in to see the hotel manager, who basically said. "S#!t happens."

I will say our two NCL cruises had some of the best entertainment we've ever seen. But that's about it. The furniture mostly looks like it came from an IKEA sale. The buffet had some interesting things, but the main dining room was subpar all the way.

But if you're comparing NCL and Princess for itineraries like the canal or Alaska, another issue comes into play. Princess has "enrichment lectures" and such on these sailings, and NCL has almost nothing in comparison. We sailed both Princess and NCL to Alaska, and Princess had four to five times as much in the way of learning opportunities. I think it would be the same on a Panama Canal cruise.

Jim

Well I will be booking a mini-suite. And I thought I had exhausted my search, but found I could also select one on the Caribbean Princess. It leaves a couple of days later, but is a savings of almost $600 total. In reading the fine print I guess we missed out on the "free specialty dining" that expired on 7/5. Bummer. I wonder if that would come back soon?

Well I will be booking a mini-suite. And I thought I had exhausted my search, but found I could also select one on the Caribbean Princess. It leaves a couple of days later, but is a savings of almost $600 total. In reading the fine print I guess we missed out on the "free specialty dining" that expired on 7/5. Bummer. I wonder if that would come back soon?

So book the CB for the cruise. It is a fine ship and you will enjoy the ctuise. We have been able to do three Panama Canal cruises, one on X and the other two on Princess, and have enjoyed them all. If you are getting a $600 savings on the cruise, the specialty dining is noise.

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions between Princess (Island) and NCL (Jade) for going thru the Panama Canal. I was looking at a cruise at the end of December 2018. I've only been on Princess once, back in 2004 (and loved it). Since then I've only cruised Carnival and they don't cruise the Panama Canal when I'm able to go. I've been trying to compare mini-suites. It appears that the NCL mini-suite is smaller than the Princess mini-suite (especially the bathroom). The price is almost the same. One more day on the NCL. I just wondered if anyone has cruised both lines and had an opinion.

My more recent experience with both lines is about even, including having sailed both lines' (almost) newest ships. I hold no loyalty to either line and can answer your question without bias.

Princess. Definitely. :)

The Caribbean Princess sails a 10 day partial transit, RT Ft. Lauderdale going through the new locks. Until August 31 there is a Sip&Sail (All Inclusive Beverage Package) promo going for bookings of balcony categories and higher. The AIBP includes all alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages menu priced $10 or under, and includes the gratuity. No additional on board billing for beverage gratuity like some lines. On Princess about 95%+ of all beverages are priced $10 and under. It also includes a 40% discount for bottled wine up to $100 in price, but most glasses of wine are priced $10 or under. It excludes room service. Princess' beverage prices are lower than NCL. Princess also allows you to carry on free of charge 1 x 750ml bottle of wine/pp of drinking age. This is for use in your cabin. If brought to a public area you will be charged a corking fee of $15. Additional bottles can be carried on and are subject to the $15 corking fee when boarding. These can be used anywhere on the ship. Princess also allows you to carry on as much non alcoholic beverages as you wish. I don't believe NCL allows this.

If you book a Club Class mini suite you will get special Club Class Dining. Look into this since you mention you wish to book a mini suite.

If you don't book Club Class Princess regular dining is good quality, you don't have to spend extra for specialty dining to get decent food, you do it for the experience. Specialty and alternate free dining is a whole other story. By the way, no charge for 24 hour room service on Princess.

DW and I sail Princess and NCL regularly. We pick a cruise based on destination, cabin availability, price, and embark port. The cruise line is the last consideration. For our needs, both are pretty equal in their offerings, with the notable exception of embark port -- San Francisco is right across the bay for us.

We traveled NCL several times as well as other ships. Switched to princess for convenience but given a choice between princess and NCL I would stick with Princess. Definitely at least a one-star better than NCL. NCL usually has excellent entertainment.

To me one important comparison is between the mini suites. What NCL nconsiders a mini-suite is their Deluxe balcony cabin. Princess has an actual mini sweet.. roomy, two TVs much better quality. Now if you're going to go for the club mini Suite on NCL that may be a different story, but I doubt that you would get the same price straight across. NCL considered a bargain Cruise Line, IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

I have been on the Jade a few years back because found a very good deal on a trip to Egypt. We actually book a mini suite, cabin on NCL Jade was okay... I usually book mini suites on Princess.. There absoluately is not comparison between the two lines. Go Princess. I would have to get a very good deal to go on NCL.

We sailed on older NCL ships (and Princess too - the coral, which is the sister ship to the island that you are considering). Overall, we liked NCL. I think the rooms are a little smaller than Princess. The service on both lines was excellent. The food in the main dining room on the Star was very bad, and we needed to eat at specialty dining rooms every night. The specialty dining rooms are great, and I'd just factor that cost into the base cost of a cruise if I am comparing lines. When you say you have one extra day on NCL - is that a sea day or an extra port? Princess is our favorite line, but we'd sail NCL again if the price and itinerary are right.

We sailed on older NCL ships (and Princess too - the coral, which is the sister ship to the island that you are considering). Overall, we liked NCL. I think the rooms are a little smaller than Princess. The service on both lines was excellent. The food in the main dining room on the Star was very bad, and we needed to eat at specialty dining rooms every night. The specialty dining rooms are great, and I'd just factor that cost into the base cost of a cruise if I am comparing lines. When you say you have one extra day on NCL - is that a sea day or an extra port? Princess is our favorite line, but we'd sail NCL again if the price and itinerary are right.

Coral "used to be" almost identical to Coral. Not anymore. Not at all. Coral is one of my favorite Princess ships - possibly my favorite to date. Island is my least favorite Princess ship to date. Definitely. After sailing on Coral I was totally appalled at what they did to Island. I would sail Island again if it was the only Princess ship doing an itinerary I really wanted to do but, if there was any other Princess ship doing the itinerary I would choose it instead.

Curious. What did they do to the Island Princess?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Removed the entire Universe Lounge to add cabins for 200+ passengers.

Did not add an International Cafe

Removed upper deck viewing areas

Did not add extra dining sq. footage to handle the additional passengers

Eliminated a 360 degree promenade.

Moved the fitness center to an interior location on deck 5 aft.

Split the youth center into two parts

Removed the entire Universe Lounge to add cabins for 200+ passengers.

Did not add an International Cafe

Removed upper deck viewing areas

Did not add extra dining sq. footage to handle the additional passengers

Eliminated a 360 degree promenade.

Moved the fitness center to an interior location on deck 5 aft.

Split the youth center into two parts

Don't forget that they moved Horizon Court (the buffet) to an all-inside spot forward where you cannot eat outside. This to me is the most egregious of their bad planning.