Thoughts on Costa Maya, and what to do there

kimlovesfl

I just returned from a cruise that stopped in Costa Maya. It seems to be a popular port in the winter months, so I thought I would give my impressions for those who may be traveling there in the future.

My biggest suggestion is, if you don't have a shore excursion booked, either through the cruise line or independently, don't even get off the ship. There is almost NOTHING in Costa Maya, except a Senor Frog's (snore, there is one here in Orlando, never been there, have no desire to go) and a large swimming pool in the port. There are barely any restaurants, not much shopping except for your usual tacky tourist stuff that you can get in Cozumel, and the beach doesn't even look that great. The water is beautiful, though, and I'm sure snorkeling and scuba diving are great there. I believe there are a couple of "clubs" you can visit for the day that are a short drive around.

What I DO highly recommend is a visit to the ruins. We went to Chacchoben, and used The Native Choice, and thank everyone on here who recommended them, because they were fantastic! The price of the tour we took was $34 less than the ship tour, and the time was so much better! Our Native Choice tour left an hour after the ship docked (8 AM), and we were back by about 1:30. We were the first ones at the site, so it was quiet and not at all crowded. Our group only had about 15-20 people on it, and Ivan, our tour guide, could not have been better. The cruise ship tour didn't leave until 12:30, and returned at 4:30, barely enough time to get back on ship.

The other thing, besides the beautiful ruins site with monkeys, trees, clear blue skies, that I really appreciated was seeing true rural Mexico, and seeing how those people lived. It was a great excursion, and I can't recommend it, or another one through Native Choice, highly enough. I also felt that I was actually contributing to the local economy by purchasing a small souvenir at the site (a carved stone cat).

Edited by kimlovesfl

Kim,

Glad you enjoyed your tour of the ruins. Evidently you didn't have any time to go anywhere else but the ruins and the cruise port. You opinion on the cruise port is, IMO, spot on. Except that you can't snorkel there.

Where most folks, not on a ship excursion, go is to the beach and malecon down in Mahahual. It's a strip of sand about 3 kilometers long (or more) and there are more than just a couple of places along the malecon where you can find a lounger, food, drink, etc. at much lower prices and better service than at Mister Toad's. There's a tone of information on this board regarding these places and a sticky as well. So next time you're in CM, maybe think about heading down to the malecon.

We had a wonderful day at Almaplena last week! There were probably 10 other people on the beach with us - just the small hotel and one other house in sight along that whole stretch of beautiful coast. The food was great, mixed drinks were a little weak but not a big problem, the staff was wonderful. If you want (need!) a day of complete relaxation, Almaplena is the place to go.

Kim,

Glad you enjoyed your tour of the ruins. Evidently you didn't have any time to go anywhere else but the ruins and the cruise port. You opinion on the cruise port is, IMO, spot on. Except that you can't snorkel there.

Where most folks, not on a ship excursion, go is to the beach and malecon down in Mahahual. It's a strip of sand about 3 kilometers long (or more) and there are more than just a couple of places along the malecon where you can find a lounger, food, drink, etc. at much lower prices and better service than at Mister Toad's. There's a tone of information on this board regarding these places and a sticky as well. So next time you're in CM, maybe think about heading down to the malecon.

Spot on Crewsweeper! Malecon is the place to go in Costa Maya! Can't wait to get there again.

My biggest suggestion is, if you don't have a shore excursion booked, either through the cruise line or independently, don't even get off the ship. There is almost NOTHING in Costa Maya, except a Senor Frog's (snore, there is one here in Orlando, never been there, have no desire to go) and a large swimming pool in the port. There are barely any restaurants, not much shopping except for your usual tacky tourist stuff that you can get in Cozumel, and the beach doesn't even look that great. The water is beautiful, though, and I'm sure snorkeling and scuba diving are great there. I believe there are a couple of "clubs" you can visit for the day that are a short drive around.

GASP! Obviously you didn't research places before you went? Other than the ruins, there's some great places to go here in Costa Maya for a nice relaxing beach day with great Mexican food and great people...plus authentic shopping.

Almaplena is a BEAUTIFUL place and very relaxing at an eco resort. Crystal clear water and great snorkeling with excellent host that will pamper you all day.

Maya Chan is a favorite of the cruisers with extra extra pampering and a wonderful staff that really knows how to keep you entertained and fed good. Plenty of things for both adults and kids to enjoy there.

Then there's the Malecon. Plenty of little places along there with an awesome walkway down the middle of it for great shopping and food. Along the Malecon is a place called Blue Kay as well. It's awesome there with the best crystal blue water and what I believe to be the best beach along the malecon. It's huge, powdery soft, and crystal blue water. There's excellent snorkeling there as well along with bike riding, kayaks and awesome food for a really good price.

Costa Maya is awesome if you just get out and enjoy it and know where to go.

I have reviews from all 3 of these places in my signature line with TONS of pictures. :)

I did research the port, and spoke to friends who had been there, and over and over, I saw that the major attraction is the ruins. I don't know how to swim, so any place where water sports are the main attraction is a waste of time and money for me, and I am not one to hang out on a beach for more than an hour.

I don't know how to swim, so any place where water sports are the main attraction is a waste of time and money for me, and I am not one to hang out on a beach for more than an hour.

Thanks for this. Next time, a review that includes this type of info will help a reader to know where you are coming from when you compose it. :)

I did research the port, and spoke to friends who had been there, and over and over, I saw that the major attraction is the ruins. I don't know how to swim, so any place where water sports are the main attraction is a waste of time and money for me, and I am not one to hang out on a beach for more than an hour.

I completely understand (well, not really because I'm a beach person :p), but I know that there's plenty of people that don't enjoy the beach or water. It's just that you didn't state this in your original post. You made it sounds like there's NOTHING to do there for anyone and to stay on the ship. There's tons of people that sail to the Caribbean because of the beautiful water and beaches and someone that loves doing just that would read this post and think there's nothing there for them.

It helps to know a little about you and your taste, and stating all the facts, in a post like this. Just saying... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Is this a beach? How do you get there? How far from port and cab ride, how much?

Looking for a beach to go to from port?

Any suggestions?

Yes, Almaplena is a small eco friendly resort that's on the beach. It takes 20 minutes to get there by cab and when you book with Almaplena, they arrange transportation (included in the price).

I highly suggest going to Blue Kay. 5 minutes from the port $3 by open air taxi. Take a look at my full review with over 100 pictures...located in my signature line. ;)

I suggest Blue Key as well. We went to Almaplena last week and did not have the best time. It may have just been us but I would recommend Blue Key.

Read Mitsugirly's reviews. She does a great job of describing each place and there are plenty of pictures.

Spot on Mitsugirly! We have followed your lead for the past couple of years. We went to Tropicante which was incredible, then to Maya Chan-again incredible and in a couple of weeks we are going to try Blue Cay (Key?). We are beach people and we go to the Caribbean to go to beaches. Thanks for all of your intel!

Spot on Mitsugirly! We have followed your lead for the past couple of years. We went to Tropicante which was incredible, then to Maya Chan-again incredible and in a couple of weeks we are going to try Blue Cay (Key?). We are beach people and we go to the Caribbean to go to beaches. Thanks for all of your intel!

Thanks and glad I could help (although can't take credit for Tropicante since I have never been there :p). I always try to find some place new each time so that other cruisers can get a feel for different places. However, now that I have found Blue Kay, I think I probably won't go anywhere else. It was just that good for us. Perfect for everything that we could possibly want in a place...the clear water, snorkeling, relaxing, beautiful beach and landscaping, close to port, excellent food and just a great day. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Costa Maya in 3 weeks and taking the Native Choice tour. Is it far to get to the meeting place from the pier? Are there buses. taxis or trams that take you to the pier?

If so, is there a charge? Do they take US money? Is it true we should wear long pants and tops and use bug spray even though it will be in the 80's. ANy tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

We will be in Costa Maya in 3 weeks and taking the Native Choice tour. Is it far to get to the meeting place from the pier? Are there buses. taxis or trams that take you to the pier?

If so, is there a charge? Do they take US money? Is it true we should wear long pants and tops and use bug spray even though it will be in the 80's. ANy tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The pier is a very long walk from the ship. Here is an overview of the area:

Costa_Maya_Port_22-L.jpg

They do have these trams that run back and forth during the day

PC170168-L.jpg

You basically just tip them whatever you see fit for however many people you have in your party. The tram has a tip box in locations on the outside of it and you just drop it in the box after you get off.

The trams will run you up and down the pier only. So once you get to the entrance of the port, you will have to walk and wind your way to the exit.

Right outside the exit is usually where you catch the taxis or the tours. But, that all depends on if your tour is one of the ones that is allowed within the port. Some of the vendors can't come inside, which means you have to walk down the road (it's a little ways) to the taxi stand. (This is usually if you are required to catch a taxi to head to the place you are going).

You should have some type of email from the place you are using that will give directions as to where you are to meet. Does it tell you?

These are the instructions they sent me. Does it mean after the tram I have to take a taxi? Do taxi's take US money? Thanks for helping me

The Mayan Experience departs from the Native Choice Office, located 15 minutes walk from the Costa Maya Cruise

Center Main entrance.

This link contains a map showing the tour meeting location, and we suggest you print the map to bring with you as

well. Costa Maya

After disembarking your ship, walk (or take the pier trolley) to the end of the cruise pier where you will see an arch

leading to the pier shopping area (Cruise Center #1 on the map). Walk through the arch into the shopping area

keeping to the right. You will come to one exit on your right to the bus parking area. DO NOT exit the mall at this

location. Continue to the second exit on the right, exit to the street. (pass the swimming pool on your left) When you

come out of the mall complex you will see the pier exit / security gate (#2 on the map) to your left (beyond the

fountain). Cross to the security area and exit the PIER COMPOUND. The street leading away from the port is Costa

Maya Main Street. Walk to the Maya pyramid (#3 on the map) located 2 blocks ahead of you. Upon reaching the

pyramid, turn left onto Paseo del Puerto St.

Staying on the left hand side of the street, walk down 2 blocks to the Native Choice Office on the left hand side (#4

on the map) at the corner of Zapote Street. We ask all guests to please be at the meeting point 15 minutes before

departure time to allow time for your check in. Please allow a minimum of 30 * 40 minutes to reach the meeting

point from your ship, as the pier is quite long. Guests with difficulties walking, or anyone who prefers not to walk can

take a quick taxi ride to our office. Just walk out of the port and you will find taxis on Costa Maya Main Street close to

the port gate. (#2 on the map) Be aware that the Port authority does not allow local taxis, or any tour companies not

working for them, to pick up guests inside the port.

The tram only takes you down the pier. You will then have to get off of the tram and walk through the port to exit the cruise compound. Once you exit, you will then have to exit the security gates to get out of the cruise pier. You will have to do all of this on foot and there's no transportation for that.

According to your directions listed, you will have to go down the road toward the pyramid they are referring to, which is at the end of the road.

I'm not sure what map they sent to you with your instructions, but here's one that I have of the area.

bigmap-L.jpg

The map above shows the different exits to get out of the tourist area. Then you will walk down the middle of the street (there's a walkway) to get to the taxi area/building where you tour people are located.

This is a VERY old picture (one when they were building this area), but it shows the middle walk way down the street. It now has greenery/landscaping, a walkway/sidewalk and has benches with a covering over it to rest at.

outside%20port-L.jpg

Here is a picture I took several months ago with the walkway

PB130020%20copy-L.jpg

PB130019%20copy-L.jpg

This is the pyramid at the end of the street they are referring to.

PB130023%20copy-L.jpg

That is pretty much the end of the street and you can only go left at this point. I believe that's where they are talking about going. There are several buildings down the street and they are probably located at one of them.

Thanks for your help. So, it should be easy to find once I get off the tram? Thanks. IRis

Once you get off the tram, you will then have to enter the port (the arch that they were referring to in their directions is the entrance to the port)

PB130007%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

Then wind your way through the port to find the exits they were referring to. :)

It isn't that hard to find, and it really isn't that far. We walked from the ship to the Native Choice office.

I wore pants when we went, because it was a cool morning, and I packed bug spray, but didn't use it, although it isn't a bad idea to bring some sort of insect repellent.

Have a great time, we really enjoyed the tour, and they are a good and reputable company to go with.

Native Tours office is only a short walk from the Visitors area. Walk toward the large pyramid. Walk in the median between the two traffic lanes(nice and shady!) Turn left at the pyramid and as you look down the street I was able to see the vehicles used to transport the people. Our guides were Kaci and Henry. Driver was Able. Kaci's hometown is en route to the ruins. As we were driving thru her hometown we stopped for fresh pineapple(great tasting)! Kaci described her life living there in Mexico. Her lectures were very informative and interesting. The vehicles used for transporting were new, very clean and Able was a very competent driver. The tour was excellent and I would recommend to anyone.

Yes, Almaplena is a small eco friendly resort that's on the beach. It takes 20 minutes to get there by cab and when you book with Almaplena, they arrange transportation (included in the price).

I highly suggest going to Blue Kay. 5 minutes from the port $3 by open air taxi. Take a look at my full review with over 100 pictures...located in my signature line. ;)

LOL your killing me here. Just when I think I have picked Blue Kay, you throw in Almaphena...another one of my choices I was looking at.

I am at a cross road...with more leaning toward Blue Kay just due to it being closer then Almaplena if I remember right.

My goal is to not have to pull out my wallet every time I order a drink or get something to eat, plus a relaxing day where I can swim, eat, have a few drinks, and even get a massage. Not sure which one would be better for that...