What to do in Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico

newtocruise11

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are sailing on the Elation in July and will be stopping in Progreso for te first time. When the shuttle drops us off will we be able to walk and find a beach to relax for a while or should we plan to go on into town to gain access to a beach?

We are sailing on the Elation in July and will be stopping in Progreso for te first time. When the shuttle drops us off will we be able to walk and find a beach to relax for a while or should we plan to go on into town to gain access to a beach?

I just posted this on another thread, so I am just copying and pasting with a couple other thoughts.....

The beach is literally the edge of the town. Take your time, walk around. We found a really great 'straw market' that had items we have never seen in any Mexican port before. Very Mayan, I soon found out. There are a lot of pharmacies, so get your yearly quota of pharmaceuticals i.e. z-packs and we get Lumigan (Latisse'). Some people recommend the double decker bus, but I don't especially when I saw that those sitting on the top decker were spending most of their time dodging power lines - :eek: - again, just my preference. I prefer to walk and look and see for myself as it is more like the 'old Mexico' of my youth...not as commercialized yet. You cannot miss the beach and if you think you might, just ask or follow the people in front of you :). Malecon Beach: We always stop at the massage tent first...really good massages in white tents at pretty much the very beginning of the beach (across from Buddy's). We get our $20 massage and then take off walking down the beach/street. Many people will try and get you to stop and sit in 'their' chairs. But my advice is to make sure you walk really far down the beach as the vendors don't seem to be in quite as much abundance. Even if I have to rent a lounger, at least I will have access to good food and drink. I cannot remember the names of the places we have eaten but I don't remember any of them not being really good (unlike The Reef). Lafitte's and Le St. Bonnet both have good food and drink but It has been a while since I have been to Progresso, maybe a couple of years and the last time we decided to try a beach resort called Reef Yukatan. After going there, I would rather run around town, eat good food and have good drinks and walk way down the beach and rent myself a lounger, lie face down, and sleep (while ignoring vendors). Being sweet and nice doesn't work, pretend to be asleep! :D I am going next March and I would very much like to hear of a recommendation of a restaurant used recently on Malecon Beach that had good food and drink and rents loungers....Anyone? and thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

*Bump*

still would like to hear from someone who has been to Progresso recently and has a recommendation for a restaurant on the beach that has good food and drinks. I have tried a couple in previous years and they were really good at the time but it has been a couple of years. So, I was looking for an opinion from someone who has been there more recently.

*Bump*

still would like to hear from someone who has been to Progresso recently and has a recommendation for a restaurant on the beach that has good food and drinks. I have tried a couple in previous years and they were really good at the time but it has been a couple of years. So, I was looking for an opinion from someone who has been there more recently.

I just booked the same cruise for spring break next year!

• 4 weeks later...
*Bump*

Sorry it's taken me so long to write since our return. We just got back from a week in Progreso April 20th-26th. We flew into Cancun and rented a car for the drive to Progreso. During the week we ate at many of the restaurants along the Malecon. From West to east, here are the things I found.

Eladios - Best view of the pier... excellent patio seating... was not impressed with the food, margarita's or the prices.

Tommy's - Only ate chips and guacamole, but some of the best on the Malecon. Margaritas were quite tasty and several free shots of tequila the more you drank. Seating was on the beach under a small palapas. Good place to snack, drink, get a massage and come back to drink some more.

Maya Ka - Had some mayan "authentic" food... was good, but not what I was expecting.

Pelicanos - Good food... for those looking for non "authenitic" it's very good. My wife who is not food adventurous had a very good club sandwich.

El Ulpo Loco - Shrimp Quesadillas and some incredible margaritas. (2 for $5)... my favorite place for a Margarita on the beach.

Flamingo's - The ABSOLUTE best Ceviche I have ever eaten. The Shrimp and the Mixed Ceviche were both incredible! Drinks were good. Ate in this restaurant a total of 3 times (once was for the Ceviche only 1 last time before I left).

Zavi Playa - Pizza.... it was OK... if only spending a day in Progreso, this would not be my choice to eat here!

Just off the Malecon

La Genuina - WOULD NOT EAT HERE

Naked Frog - No beach view... just a couple blocks off the Malecon... excellent food!!! Excellent drinks.

Los Compadres Tacos - a must eat if you have the time. LOVED the tacos. They do speak very little (any?) English here. But the tacos were great.

Marquesitas! a Must Have! Streetside vendors. My favorite were the "desert" kind... Peanut Butter and Banana or Peanut Butter and Blackberry Jelly.

Elotes - Cream Style Corn - I love corn... this was the worst thing I have ever tasted!

Ice Cream - Many homemade ice cream shops around town. DO NOT MISS IT!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

AutoProgeso offers frequent bus service (every 15-20 minutes) between their Progreso terminal and the center of Merida. Cost is 37 pesos (about $2 US) one way. When you ride the shuttle from the ship, you are dropped at the AutoProgreso terminal. I think AutoProgeso also offers a Merida excursion.

AutoProgeso offers frequent bus service (every 15-20 minutes) between their Progreso terminal and the center of Merida. Cost is 37 pesos (about $2 US) one way. When you ride the shuttle from the ship, you are dropped at the AutoProgreso terminal. I think AutoProgeso also offers a Merida excursion.

Awesome... Thank you!!

Tere Cazola is a Yucatan chain of pastries and cookies stores. Their Progreso store is on Calle 27 between Calles 76 and 78. It is in a newer building with the movie marque, about three blocks from the tourist market and the ship shuttle pickup. Even numbered Calles run north and south. They consistently have high quality baked goods.

While Progreso isn't my favorite port, it's not horrible. My adult daughter and I never feel unsafe walking around in town-once she was wearing a STL Cardinal shirt and the locals asked us if we knew Mark McGuire. (we don't) The beach is part of the Gulf of Mexico so it reminds me of the beaches near Pensacola, FL. Vendors can be a little aggressive but nothing any worse than other parts of Mexico. We have stayed in town, gone to the Dzib ruins, The Technotel and to Uxmal (all with AutoProgreso) among other things. Prices are lower than Cozumel. Go with an open mind and see how you like it.

• 5 weeks later...
While Progreso isn't my favorite port, it's not horrible. My adult daughter and I never feel unsafe walking around in town-once she was wearing a STL Cardinal shirt and the locals asked us if we knew Mark McGuire. (we don't) The beach is part of the Gulf of Mexico so it reminds me of the beaches near Pensacola, FL. Vendors can be a little aggressive but nothing any worse than other parts of Mexico. We have stayed in town, gone to the Dzib ruins, The Technotel and to Uxmal (all with AutoProgreso) among other things. Prices are lower than Cozumel. Go with an open mind and see how you like it.

Are AutoProgreso tours booked once your there or can you book in advance?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Has anyone done any of the crater tours? I know the crater is primarily in the water and filled in, but it's still a point of interest for my family.

The crater was formed 65 million years ago so there is nothing to tour or see. If you are in Progreso, you are in the crater.