Thoughts on Costa Maya, and what to do there

kimlovesfl

Mitsugirly.....how do we do the signature for ur Blue Key review?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not completely sure if you can access it using the ipad but on a computer, just click the part that says "Blue Kay" listed in the Costa Maya in my signature line. Then it will take you to that review. You may have to scroll down until you come to the beginning of the review since it's located under my NCL Sun trip. :)

LOL your killing me here. Just when I think I have picked Blue Kay, you throw in Almaphena...another one of my choices I was looking at.

I am at a cross road...with more leaning toward Blue Kay just due to it being closer then Almaplena if I remember right.

My goal is to not have to pull out my wallet every time I order a drink or get something to eat, plus a relaxing day where I can swim, eat, have a few drinks, and even get a massage. Not sure which one would be better for that...

Honestly, my pick would be Blue Kay for many reasons. It's just so close to port (can see the ship from right there and only takes about 5-10 minutes to get there versus 20 minutes to Almaplena). It's a cheap taxi ride there $3.00. The water is beautiful at both places but the beach at Blue Kay is more level all over and HUGE compared to Almaplena. There's the snorkeling right there in front of you at BK and pretty darn shallow. Plus plenty of shade...plenty, unlike Almaplena.

As for pulling out your wallet every time. They do run a tab for you at BK. So you can just pay at the end of your stay with no worries. I did notice that they are now offering a "package" something like an AI for cruisers now which includes your drinks for all day if you are interested in that. I would check it out if that's a priority. We really thought this was one of the best experiences we have had while in Costa Maya and definitely one of the best looking places we have been to (and have been to Almaplena, Maya Chan, Nohoch Cay and now Blue Kay). :) Like I said in my review, we ate lunch, snacked, had drinks (both soda and alcohol) for the 3 of us and it was only $48 for the entire day and our bellies were full and our thirst was quenched. Not a bad price compared to an AI that usually charges a good $60+ per person.

Im going to agree with the OP. The way I read it, if you do not make plans to go off the port itself, there is nothing there to do. Daughter and I just planned to make it an unplanned day (since the ship left at 2pm..) And in the port itself, there is the pool (which was nice, and my daughter got to check " swim up bar" off the bucket list) a very sad dolphin encounter ( basically a big inground pool with 4 dolphins stuck in it... felt so sorry for them, I just could not consider supporting that activity, watched people for a few min but watching them made me miserable so we left) There were a lot of your usual tacky tourist shops ( yes I bought a few small things... but pretty much the same stuff you find everywhere else) And walking thru the port was like running the gauntlet - every shop calling for you to buy stuff, and if you say no, sorry, they give you really disgusted looks. I did not even want to LOOK at anything since I felt so ...accosted!

If I had to do it again, I would plan an excursion. To just plan to hang out at the port and shop- no I would NOT do it again. Im just glad it was a short day in port!

Im going to agree with the OP. The way I read it, if you do not make plans to go off the port itself, there is nothing there to do. Daughter and I just planned to make it an unplanned day (since the ship left at 2pm..) And in the port itself, there is the pool (which was nice, and my daughter got to check " swim up bar" off the bucket list) a very sad dolphin encounter ( basically a big inground pool with 4 dolphins stuck in it... felt so sorry for them, I just could not consider supporting that activity, watched people for a few min but watching them made me miserable so we left) There were a lot of your usual tacky tourist shops ( yes I bought a few small things... but pretty much the same stuff you find everywhere else) And walking thru the port was like running the gauntlet - every shop calling for you to buy stuff, and if you say no, sorry, they give you really disgusted looks. I did not even want to LOOK at anything since I felt so ...accosted!

If I had to do it again, I would plan an excursion. To just plan to hang out at the port and shop- no I would NOT do it again. Im just glad it was a short day in port!

We first went to Costa Maya in 2004. It was different as at that time, there was a series of restaurants along the water and not that awful tourist area that now exists. Lovely and who remembers the Black Cat?

Hurricane Dean wiped the area off the map in 2007. It was pulverized. Black Cat gone along with many others like the old hole in the wall.

What emerged was this new port area with shops that sell junk (IMHO). I understand some major money was invested to build this area.

We have been back many times since and always book an all day all inclusive. There are other good things to do but this is our choice. Usually the best day of Western sailings.

If I did not do this, I would not get off the ship either.

Things change but unless you get out of the port area to see something else, take a walk through and judge for yourself.

• 1 month later...
where did you go to take this picture!?!?! amazing! great reviews too :)

Costa_Maya_Port_22-L.jpg

I hoped on an Eagle and was soaring high. :p :eek:

Just kidding. This is just a generic picture found on the internet to show an overall view of the port. ;)

• 7 months later...
Thanks for your help. So, it should be easy to find once I get off the tram? Thanks. IRis

I did this tour with Native Choice last November. It is not a very long walk, and it is fairly easy. I did not bother waiting for the tram thing to take me from the ship to the end of the pier. The tour itself is fantastic, and the tour operator (Native Choice) was very knowledgeable and informative. upon return, they dropped people off at either their office, or at the entrance to the port, so you had a choice.

crewsweeper, will be on Princess ship. Don't want a ship excursion in Costa maya. Are the beach and malecon far from port?

What about Blue Kay?

The malecon and Blue Kay are about 5-7 minutes from the port using a taxi or the open air taxi/trolley/bus. It cost $3 per adult to ride and super easy to do. Blue Kay is the very first place on the Malecon and the first stop the trolley makes will be Senor Frogs, which is right beside Blue Kay. For a description and complete review of Blue Kay, along with tons of pictures, you can find that listed in my signature line. :)

• 2 weeks later...
How did you book Blue Kay in advance?

Was it Beach Break Day that you booked?

I want to make sure i am on the correct WebSite (http__bluekaymahahual.com/)

There's no need to book it in advance. You can just show up. If you are getting one of the packages that includes the rental of all their equipment (like kyaks, snorkeling, bikes and so on) then I guess you could reserve, but they'll still have them there and can sell you the package when you arrive. :)

There's no need to book it in advance. You can just show up. If you are getting one of the packages that includes the rental of all their equipment (like kyaks, snorkeling, bikes and so on) then I guess you could reserve, but they'll still have them there and can sell you the package when you arrive. :)

Hoping to do this for our June trip.

Mitsugirly, I've read all your reviews for our port stops and can't thank you enough for them. So much information and fantastic pictures. Even though I'm still a bit confused on what to do where, I feel I'm armed with all I need to know to make decisions.

Thanks again :)

Hoping to do this for our June trip.

Mitsugirly, I've read all your reviews for our port stops and can't thank you enough for them. So much information and fantastic pictures. Even though I'm still a bit confused on what to do where, I feel I'm armed with all I need to know to make decisions.

Thanks again :)

Aww, thanks so much and glad they are helpful. If you ever have any questions, please let me know and I will help if I can. :)

GASP! Obviously you didn't research places before you went? Other than the ruins, there's some great places to go here in Costa Maya for a nice relaxing beach day with great Mexican food and great people...plus authentic shopping.

Almaplena is a BEAUTIFUL place and very relaxing at an eco resort. Crystal clear water and great snorkeling with excellent host that will pamper you all day.

Maya Chan is a favorite of the cruisers with extra extra pampering and a wonderful staff that really knows how to keep you entertained and fed good. Plenty of things for both adults and kids to enjoy there.

Then there's the Malecon. Plenty of little places along there with an awesome walkway down the middle of it for great shopping and food. Along the Malecon is a place called Blue Kay as well. It's awesome there with the best crystal blue water and what I believe to be the best beach along the malecon. It's huge, powdery soft, and crystal blue water. There's excellent snorkeling there as well along with bike riding, kayaks and awesome food for a really good price.

Costa Maya is awesome if you just get out and enjoy it and know where to go.

I have reviews from all 3 of these places in my signature line with TONS of pictures. :)

Awesome reply. Planning a trip later this year and will reach out to too you if you don't mind. Love to do the local excursion when possible.

• 2 weeks later...
The malecon and Blue Kay are about 5-7 minutes from the port using a taxi or the open air taxi/trolley/bus. It cost $3 per adult to ride and super easy to do. Blue Kay is the very first place on the Malecon and the first stop the trolley makes will be Senor Frogs, which is right beside Blue Kay. For a description and complete review of Blue Kay, along with tons of pictures, you can find that listed in my signature line. :)

Are there lounge chairs to rent?

Some great info on this thread. Need to read thru all your reviews mitsugirly

You must read them all.. she is the best describing with words and pictures the whole experience... I enjoyed every single one of them!