A few questions about Half Moon Cay

no1volman

We'll be on the Fascination in June and one of our ports is Half Moon Cay. From what I've read it's basically just a beach and they offer a few excursions. We're looking to just enjoy a beach day. Although I would probably love it, we really don't want to spend the money on a cabana. So we just plan on hopefully finding some shade trees or would consider a clamshell rental. But I have a few questions. Do you rent the clamshells in advance? Either online or on the ship? Is there a chance of running out of clamshells? There doesn't appear to be a charge just to enjoy the beach. But what about the lunch? I've read that's it's free. Is that for everyone or just people that pay for excursions? All are purchases made on sigh and sail card? If so, then I assume no cash is needed for that port? Is tipping expected for anyone? Like for the tender crew or lunch crew?

The lunch buffet is free. Drinks, etc. are charged to your cruise card.

Beach chairs are at no cost. If you decide to rent a clam shell, you can do it there.

Look forward to having a wonderful time at a beautiful beach! :)

LuLu

We'll be on the Fascination in June and one of our ports is Half Moon Cay. From what I've read it's basically just a beach and they offer a few excursions. We're looking to just enjoy a beach day. Although I would probably love it, we really don't want to spend the money on a cabana. So we just plan on hopefully finding some shade trees or would consider a clamshell rental. But I have a few questions. Do you rent the clamshells in advance? Either online or on the ship? Is there a chance of running out of clamshells? There doesn't appear to be a charge just to enjoy the beach. But what about the lunch? I've read that's it's free. Is that for everyone or just people that pay for excursions? All are purchases made on sigh and sail card? If so, then I assume no cash is needed for that port? Is tipping expected for anyone? Like for the tender crew or lunch crew?

We love Half Moon Cay...crystal clear water and white sand.

You will tender over from the ship and we try to go earlier in the morning to snag chairs in the shade...we do not rent a cabana and just swim, rest, and have the free lunch which is burgers, grilled chicken chips and salsa, fruit ect. You will use your ship card for alcohol, colas, to rent any boats, clamshell, paddleboard ect. but their are a few shops to use cash. Tipping to the bar servers that walk the beach bringing drinks would be accepted. Have fun.

It looks like we're going to be the only ship in port that day. If we were to try and avoid the crowd trying to leave the ship all at one time and wait an hour or two before we tender over. Do you think there will still be plenty of chairs and clamshell rentals available?

• 4 weeks later...

my husband and I first cruise is in June. We will be going to grand Turk half moon and then nassau. My first question is How do you find out how many cruise ships will be at a port the same time our ship will be? Also what one of these 3 places would be the best and most reasonable for water excursions like parasailing.

my husband and I first cruise is in June. We will be going to grand Turk half moon and then nassau. My first question is How do you find out how many cruise ships will be at a port the same time our ship will be? Also what one of these 3 places would be the best and most reasonable for water excursions like parasailing.

The max number of ships at HMC is 2, and that is pretty rare. The max number at Grand Turk is 3, and that is very rare. In June, as many of the ships have left the Caribbean for Alaska or Europe, I would expect one ship at each of those.

The best way to find out the number of ships in Nassau is to Google the harbor/port website, and look for a ship, or cruise ship schedule.

I have a complete review of the place from us being there last month in my signature line. There's TONS of pictures. It's gorgeous there and I hope to return again.

You rent the clam shells after you get on the beach and they are $25. The regular beach/lounge chairs are free for everyone to use...which if you find a shady spot, you can just pull a chair up there. :)

Free lunch and you get free drinks that come with the lunch (the tea and lemonade just like on the ship). :)

Thank you.... I'm new to all this.. How do you get to your signature line?

Every time I post, you will see it below my post. It list each port and ship and you just click on it and it will take you to the post/review. :)

So the lunch is free and we won't be drinking any alcohol. Would there be any reason to bring cash for tipping?

Probably not. Unless you buy some the trinkets sold by locals, which can't be billed to your shipboard account.

I have a complete review of the place from us being there last month in my signature line. There's TONS of pictures. It's gorgeous there and I hope to return again.

Your review was stellar! We're booked to HMC next year and just doing a little preliminary research, so your review was all we wanted to know and more :) much appreciated!

Your review was stellar! We're booked to HMC next year and just doing a little preliminary research, so your review was all we wanted to know and more :) much appreciated!

Thank you and I'm glad it could help. There's much much more to HMC than what I covered and it's an awesome place to go. I hope to go back some day and experience more.

Look HERE for a review from jamman (we were on the same cruise on the Pride back in April) and he covers a little more of the great island when his wife takes a tour that shows some of the different things to do while there. It's also very informative and shows you around a little more than what I adventured off to. :)

Do you happen to remember what time lunch was served? My husband and I are visiting HMC for the first time in July, and I booked a snorkling tour from 12-2, but now I'm concerned about missing the buffet.

I believe it started at 11 and ended around 1 or 1:30pm.

Thanks! Sounds like we should probably be okay if we go at the beginning then.

I also just read your review of this port (and several others) the other day and it was super helpful and informative. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences in so much depth! :)

Thanks! Sounds like we should probably be okay if we go at the beginning then.

I also just read your review of this port (and several others) the other day and it was super helpful and informative. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences in so much depth! :)

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it and glad you found it helpful. :) Have a great time there.