First time cruise

Hi Everyone,

First of all I have to say I have been reading up on these forums and great information. We recently book the Venice/Athens trip on Voyager 10/8/17 with the night before at the JW Marriot and will be in 741 with a post cruise (Sacred Treasures of Greece).

My SO and are are first time cruisers and really limited travelers in general (mid 30's) and decided on RSSC mostly because of the following:

1) I have zero interest in the mega ships. I prefer more relaxed atmosphere.

2) Took the air package as well as I don't mind just paying for it and not having to deal with it (I know, being new at this I did not use a TA, just booked online and will consider one in the future).

3) SO is an architectural major and I enjoy history so win/win.

I am now thinking of a couple of things an value any additional insights/recommendations:

1) Upgrading to first class and do an Air Deviation Request flying out of BOS. I'm a big/tall guy and any extra room is always appreciated. I once took a trip to China in coach and it nearly killed me and vowed never again. I was planning on going with the standard deviation even though we get the hotel stay the day before embarkation. Airline recommendations?

2) Considering an upsell to Penthouse Suite-C understanding vibration may be annoying) but gives a bit more room and perks.

3) Recommendations for # of shore excursions per day? I see up to 3 but seems exhausting.

4) Anyone recommend the SpaClub? (reason: see #3 :))

Thanks again for any insights/recommendations people can offer.

-Jarcon

1) Upgrading to first class and do an Air Deviation Request flying out of BOS. I'm a big/tall guy and any extra room is always appreciated. I once took a trip to China in coach and it nearly killed me and vowed never again. I was planning on going with the standard deviation even though we get the hotel stay the day before embarkation. Airline recommendations?

2) Considering an upsell to Penthouse Suite-C understanding vibration may be annoying) but gives a bit more room and perks.

3) Recommendations for # of shore excursions per day? I see up to 3 but seems exhausting.

4) Anyone recommend the SpaClub? (reason: see #3 :))

Thanks again for any insights/recommendations people can offer.

-Jarcon

1). We usually just go with the flights Regent selects. Many others take the deviation for whatever reason, but we rarely felt the need. Bear in mind that your cruise includes Business Class air on the overwater portion only. Flying from BOS should be okay, unless you get a weird routing with a long connecting flight in Europe...but I can't imagine that happening. I'm sure others will chime in with air recommendations.

2). We've done PH before, you get more space and a butler. Some love having a butler, I can take it or leave it. My inclination would be to keep your current suite - you're on a 7-day, port-intensive itinerary, so you probably won't be in your cabin a lot.

3). One excursion a day, two tops. Most ports you'll only have the opportunity to book one based on scheduling. Our first 7-day Med cruise, we tried to do everything...and it wore us out. Pick the excursions you really want to do and book them.

4). I'm not a big spa person, but my wife is. She enjoys it, but some say the prices are a bit dear. If you have any OBCs, the spa is a good place to burn them.

Enjoy your cruise - check in the roll call section to see if anyone started one yet. Usually some good info in there. Have fun, you'll love it, I'm sure!

Edited by UUNetBill

Get business or first, it is worth it.

The suite is a big thing for us as he has to have his extra half bath.

Three tours would kill us! LOL Two would be A LOT. Depends on the ports if it is worth it.

Enjoy. Life is what you make it!

Carole

I'm not sure it's even possible to squeeze 3 excursions into one day! The idea of listing a few choices is to give you options to pick what suits your particular interest - not to do them all! We prefer the shorter 2-3 hour excursions which give us the option either to explore ports ourselves or, shock, stay on board the ship and enjoy the comparative peace! All the excellent facilities are still there on port days, and the spa is usually much less busy so plenty of appointments available.

Yes, the Spa can be pricey (beware the upselling!) so be selective.

Just remember the you are there to enjoy yourselves and RELAX. Your vacation - your rules :)

Note that a PH C on Voyager is exactly the same cabin size and layout as the basic suites; you may also be bothered by the aft vibration

You will have a larger balcony, an excellent aft view and can enjoy the services of a Butler

Enjoy your cruise :)

Jar, I am tall also and do not even consider coach. Be very careful how you route. Most business in Europe is nothing more than coach with no one in the middle seat. We are on the same cruise and I plan to use my AA miles to fly from Manchester to Philly and then one direct flight to VCE. If I used BA via LTR the LTR/VCE would be uncomfortable. You can use LH to Frankfurt, but I hate the airport.

We are in 866 a B ph. We have been in it twice before and love it. I think the layout is far superior to the C.

Sorry you are not doing the B-B ending in Rome. Malta and Crete are on my bucket list

Jarcon,

It sounds like you and your wife are where I and my wife were about 3 years ago.

I was 39 and she was 35 on our first cruise it was a 7-day in the Baltic on the Voyager. It will be a blur. We did 1-2 excursions a day, it was sometimes tiring but not too bad. The nice thing about it is if you are tired you can cancel an excursion and just stay on the boat.

We stayed in the concierge level rooms and have since stayed at that level. For just the two of us, the rooms are good sized, there is a nice dense curtain that can be pulled between the sleeping area and the sitting area which allowed my wife to take a nap and me to watch tv or sit on the balcony with a drink.

We have not done the spa but there is so much to do on the boat or on land that your head will spin.

Have a blast and if it is just two of you I would recommend requesting to be sat at a mixed table during dinner you get to meet great people from all over and it is a chance to relearn how to sit and take your time enjoying people and a meal.

I thought business air was included, if you do your own air.

1 or 2 excursions per day max. We usually do one so we can have some time to explore on our own.

I think that included business class air begins 2017. Most people (tall or otherwise) have no problems on most airlines in business class - check out the airlines for the length of the seats and make sure that they are "lie flat" seats and not angled (Cathay Pacific has wonderful seats - as do many of the airlines that Regent offers). Did you "deviate" your air?

In terms of excursions, I've never heard of anyone doing three excursions in one day although I suppose that you can do it if the ship is in port late. I agree with those that say it would be exhausting.

Do hope that you find a TA as you are leaving money on the table by not taking advantage of the % back on your cruise fare as well as on board credits that help pay for Regent Choice excursions which, IMO, are the best.

Based upon your post, I'd suggest:

Stay in Cabin 741. A very nice location and a very nice standard cabin. It's great for stability to be mid-ships and low.

One excursion (one that you really want) per day. Otherwise enjoy the great ship, the fascinating lectures, all the included "benies", and the very interesting passengers.

You'll be among the youngest onboard; not to worry. Mingle both in the lounges and in the dining venues - you'll be amazed at the older people you'll meet.

Yes, do "deviate". You have only about 6 weeks before you can indicate to Regent your choices. Business Class air is included in your fares but only over the oceans and it is usually adequate no matter how tall and big. BUT, you usually can't upgrade the domestic leg. Talk to Regent Air (yes, for later trips get an experienced TA) and consider the above posters' advice.

I think that included business class air begins 2017. Most people (tall or otherwise) have no problems on most airlines in business class - check out the airlines for the length of the seats and make sure that they are "lie flat" seats and not angled (Cathay Pacific has wonderful seats - as do many of the airlines that Regent offers). Did you "deviate" your air?

In terms of excursions, I've never heard of anyone doing three excursions in one day although I suppose that you can do it if the ship is in port late. I agree with those that say it would be exhausting.

Do hope that you find a TA as you are leaving money on the table by not taking advantage of the % back on your cruise fare as well as on board credits that help pay for Regent Choice excursions which, IMO, are the best.

Travelcat,

Yes, we went with the business class (shows as Restricted Business on invoice) and I plan on doing a deviation once I figure out what flights look to be the best both in comfort and where the second leg should be from. Also plan on confirming with RSSC that the business class is for both legs each way otherwise I will need to look at an upgrade.

-Jarcon

Based upon your post, I'd suggest:

Stay in Cabin 741. A very nice location and a very nice standard cabin. It's great for stability to be mid-ships and low.

One excursion (one that you really want) per day. Otherwise enjoy the great ship, the fascinating lectures, all the included "benies", and the very interesting passengers.

You'll be among the youngest onboard; not to worry. Mingle both in the lounges and in the dining venues - you'll be amazed at the older people you'll meet.

Yes, do "deviate". You have only about 6 weeks before you can indicate to Regent your choices. Business Class air is included in your fares but only over the oceans and it is usually adequate no matter how tall and big. BUT, you usually can't upgrade the domestic leg. Talk to Regent Air (yes, for later trips get an experienced TA) and consider the above posters' advice.

Yeah, I know we are in the younger side of the demographics but that is fine with us.

-Jarcon

Jarcon,

It sounds like you and your wife are where I and my wife were about 3 years ago.

I was 39 and she was 35 on our first cruise it was a 7-day in the Baltic on the Voyager. It will be a blur. We did 1-2 excursions a day, it was sometimes tiring but not too bad. The nice thing about it is if you are tired you can cancel an excursion and just stay on the boat.

We stayed in the concierge level rooms and have since stayed at that level. For just the two of us, the rooms are good sized, there is a nice dense curtain that can be pulled between the sleeping area and the sitting area which allowed my wife to take a nap and me to watch tv or sit on the balcony with a drink.

We have not done the spa but there is so much to do on the boat or on land that your head will spin.

Have a blast and if it is just two of you I would recommend requesting to be sat at a mixed table during dinner you get to meet great people from all over and it is a chance to relearn how to sit and take your time enjoying people and a meal.

Mixed table sounds like a great idea.

-Jarcon

Jar, I am tall also and do not even consider coach. Be very careful how you route. Most business in Europe is nothing more than coach with no one in the middle seat. We are on the same cruise and I plan to use my AA miles to fly from Manchester to Philly and then one direct flight to VCE. If I used BA via LTR the LTR/VCE would be uncomfortable. You can use LH to Frankfurt, but I hate the airport.

We are in 866 a B ph. We have been in it twice before and love it. I think the layout is far superior to the C.

Sorry you are not doing the B-B ending in Rome. Malta and Crete are on my bucket list

Ok, that is good to know. I'll look into the Philly if I can't just upgrade as I can get there right from VT but there doesn't look to be much in the way of direct flights back from Athens. Depending on how we like it we would probably do another Med trip with Rome and then move on to the Baltics.

We've been pretty lucky with our routings through Regent Air (although truth be told, we may not be that picky) - and now that we live on the east side, flights to Europe are easier.

As to the demographics, my wife and I were 40 and 48 when we started cruising and we associated with people from their 30's into their 90's...with rare exceptions, everyone we've met on Regent has been pleasant, most are interesting, and a select few are just plain fascinating people. We still correspond regularly with people we've met on board.

As you can see from my signature, we started in the Med and then hit the Baltic and Alaska (more fun than I thought!) and were booked for Iceland/Norway and Asia. Unfortunately, work and family are forcing us to postpone the Iceland trip, but there are just so many amazing places to visit and experience, and I frankly can't think of a better way to go than Regent. We're back to the Mediterranean this spring - I'd have chosen another destination, but we're taking my mother who has never been to Europe before, so we thought this would be a perfect introduction to cruising for her.

I sincerely hope you enjoy your first cruise as much as we did. Our first was a 'once in a lifetime' trip that turned into our annual escape. We were booked on our second cruise just four days into our first. :D

Wouldn't have it any other way...

We've been pretty lucky with our routings through Regent Air (although truth be told, we may not be that picky) - and now that we live on the east side, flights to Europe are easier.

As to the demographics, my wife and I were 40 and 48 when we started cruising and we associated with people from their 30's into their 90's...with rare exceptions, everyone we've met on Regent has been pleasant, most are interesting, and a select few are just plain fascinating people. We still correspond regularly with people we've met on board.

As you can see from my signature, we started in the Med and then hit the Baltic and Alaska (more fun than I thought!) and were booked for Iceland/Norway and Asia. Unfortunately, work and family are forcing us to postpone the Iceland trip, but there are just so many amazing places to visit and experience, and I frankly can't think of a better way to go than Regent. We're back to the Mediterranean this spring - I'd have chosen another destination, but we're taking my mother who has never been to Europe before, so we thought this would be a perfect introduction to cruising for her.

I sincerely hope you enjoy your first cruise as much as we did. Our first was a 'once in a lifetime' trip that turned into our annual escape. We were booked on our second cruise just four days into our first. :D

Wouldn't have it any other way...

I can definitely identify with what you are saying. Our "once in a lifetime" cruise has turned into 29-30 Regent cruises and we are as happy today as we were on the first cruise.

Edited by Travelcat2

We are also on this cruise in suite 749, first time in an H category we have always done concierge also first time doing our own air and hotel. We are going to Venice two days early so will be navigating the canals and getting ourselves to the port. Hope I don't mess anything up, so looking forward to this cruise Malta and Cyprus are on my bucket list too.