Live From The Mariner, Villages of the Amazon, 26 Nov - 21 Dec

TahoeTraveler

I know that you were trying not to think about it anymore but love the bartender's suggestion. Despite the touristy aspects of some places in the Amazon, life there is difficult at best. Your quest to do something good for others is wonderful and it sounds like you will succeed.

Quick question, I know that you aren't a doctor but a friend of ours is on oxygen and, from what you and others have said about smoke, I'm beginning to think that this may not be the best place for her to go. She also has walking difficulties (associated with not having enough oxygen to walk very far). Are the Amazon excursions difficult in terms of walking while rolling an oxygen tank behind you?

Thanks so much and continue to enjoy this great adventure!

There is a woman on board who has a wheeled oxygen system (much as Gnomie described) and I haven't heard that she is having any problems with the smoke, but I don't actually know her, so cannot say for sure. As for the excursions, the folks on the ship have been incredibly helpful and kind in assisting people with mobility issues on and off the tenders, ship, buses, etc. There are many excursions that require little or no walking, so I think she would have no problems finding something that suits her. She would just have to stay off the 7.5 hour tour in Grenada, because I really cannot recommend that one!!

Edited by TahoeTraveler

Just one more suggestion that you may want to consider - I know that on our cruise some of the crew members we busy shopping for holiday gifts to be sent to their children back home - maybe you can donate the items to the crew who can then include them in the holiday gift boxes. I saw some crew at local post offices sending boxes but I am sure that there are still many more going out.

Just a thought -

gnomie :)

Thank you...that is a great suggestion if we cannot find somewhere in the Amazon to make the contribution!

Well, this sure turned out to be a memorable day, but not necessarily for the right reasons!

We were unable to anchor close to Boca da Valeria because of the level of the river. We had to anchor about a 15 minute tender ride from the village, which was disappointing, because I was hoping to see the village from the ship. Apparently in the dry season, which we are in the middle of, the river level is too low to allow ships close to the village. A ship just last week almost grounded because of getting too close. So better safe than sorry.

We opted to go to the gym and then participate in the Rolling Ball tournament this morning before heading out to the village. However, as we were leaving the tournament, someone was talking about their village experience earlier, and so we asked about it. They were appalled at what was going on there...the people have captured sloths, birds (whose wings they've clipped) and other wildlife just to show them off to get people to pay for photos of them. According to Terry Breen, the sloths at least will die once they are taken out of the trees...so basically these people are killing the wildlife just to make some money. Many, many people were saying that they feel that Regent should stop supporting this "village" (which I've already explained is not a real village) because it just does not fit into what Regent stands for. Based on what we heard from so many others, we opted not to go to the village. I understand that there are many who will disagree with our decision, and that's okay. Mike and I just could not see supporting anything that causes the deaths of any animals.

So today should have been a relaxing sea day for us, but it ended up being anything but, thanks to my clumsiness. First, I banged the snot out of my index finger when trying to come into the cabin. There is a large, heavily framed mirror in the entrance to the cabin, and I was trying to move over so Mike could get into the cabin after hitting the gym. Well, I slammed my finger into the edge of that mirror, pulling back a huge chunk of skin. That finger is now swollen and bruised.

But that's NOTHING compared to the left side of my face. There was a putting tournament this afternoon, and there were so many people that we were having to wait until others finished just to get putters and balls to use. Mike and I finally got a putter and started at the first hole. I finished, and went to hand him the putter...and fell flat on my face when my flip flop got caught on the little hill on the green. Unfortunately, there was a rock bordering the green that managed to jump up and meet with my face. I honestly thought I had broken my jaw initially. But after rolling over, and having a whole lot of people rushing over to check on me (I have to say, Regent passengers are the BEST...well, except for the guy who wanted me to get off the green so he could play through!!!), we figured out that I had just scraped the side of my face badly. And hit it hard enough that my entire left eye is now swollen shut and is purple all the way from my cheekbone to my eyebrow. Oh my, I wish I could post photos!!!

Folks have been so nice to me, and I am more embarrassed than inujred (although it does hurt, don't get me wrong). Lorraine actually left a message on our phone telling me how sorry she is (news travels fast on a cruise ship, especially when a passenger face plants into a rock) and how she hopes I will be okay (she was just SO sweet). I did have to go the medical center for them to check me out...and have me sign a bunch of paperwork so that I won't sue them (honestly, they wanted me to do a breathalyzer and yes, I did have a beer at lunch but was hardly inebriated). But I was more than willing...again, better safe than sorry.

So it appears that for the rest of the cruise, I am going to have a purple eye and be the talk of the town. Yippee!!!!

We're suppoed to do the pink dolphin cruise tomorrow in Manaus, and all I can say is...I hope my sunglasses will fit over the swelling!!!!

Really hope that the bartender is able to deliver your gifts as, IMO, having a crew member pay the postage to their home country for items that they may not need (as they probably have the items that you so generously carried with you) could be costly. The folks living in the Amazon, however, will welcome these gifts with open arms.

Thanks for the input on people with oxygen. My friend had no problem flying from the U.S. to Cape Town last year or from the U.S. to Rome this year with her oxygen. And, Regent has absolutely no problem with it. Her oxygen tank is portable and as easy to walk with as a piece of carry-on luggage. Thankfully the airlines and cruise lines are able to accommodate her disability.

P.S. Think that I was posting at the same time that you were. Hope that you recover from your accident(s) soon.

Edited by Travelcat2

Well, this sure turned out to be a memorable day, but not necessarily for the right reasons!

We were unable to anchor close to Boca da Valeria because of the level of the river. We had to anchor about a 15 minute tender ride from the village, which was disappointing, because I was hoping to see the village from the ship. Apparently in the dry season, which we are in the middle of, the river level is too low to allow ships close to the village. A ship just last week almost grounded because of getting too close. So better safe than sorry.

We opted to go to the gym and then participate in the Rolling Ball tournament this morning before heading out to the village. However, as we were leaving the tournament, someone was talking about their village experience earlier, and so we asked about it. They were appalled at what was going on there...the people have captured sloths, birds (whose wings they've clipped) and other wildlife just to show them off to get people to pay for photos of them. According to Terry Breen, the sloths at least will die once they are taken out of the trees...so basically these people are killing the wildlife just to make some money. Many, many people were saying that they feel that Regent should stop supporting this "village" (which I've already explained is not a real village) because it just does not fit into what Regent stands for. Based on what we heard from so many others, we opted not to go to the village. I understand that there are many who will disagree with our decision, and that's okay. Mike and I just could not see supporting anything that causes the deaths of any animals.

So today should have been a relaxing sea day for us, but it ended up being anything but, thanks to my clumsiness. First, I banged the snot out of my index finger when trying to come into the cabin. There is a large, heavily framed mirror in the entrance to the cabin, and I was trying to move over so Mike could get into the cabin after hitting the gym. Well, I slammed my finger into the edge of that mirror, pulling back a huge chunk of skin. That finger is now swollen and bruised.

But that's NOTHING compared to the left side of my face. There was a putting tournament this afternoon, and there were so many people that we were having to wait until others finished just to get putters and balls to use. Mike and I finally got a putter and started at the first hole. I finished, and went to hand him the putter...and fell flat on my face when my flip flop got caught on the little hill on the green. Unfortunately, there was a rock bordering the green that managed to jump up and meet with my face. I honestly thought I had broken my jaw initially. But after rolling over, and having a whole lot of people rushing over to check on me (I have to say, Regent passengers are the BEST...well, except for the guy who wanted me to get off the green so he could play through!!!), we figured out that I had just scraped the side of my face badly. And hit it hard enough that my entire left eye is now swollen shut and is purple all the way from my cheekbone to my eyebrow. Oh my, I wish I could post photos!!!

Folks have been so nice to me, and I am more embarrassed than inujred (although it does hurt, don't get me wrong). Lorraine actually left a message on our phone telling me how sorry she is (news travels fast on a cruise ship, especially when a passenger face plants into a rock) and how she hopes I will be okay (she was just SO sweet). I did have to go the medical center for them to check me out...and have me sign a bunch of paperwork so that I won't sue them (honestly, they wanted me to do a breathalyzer and yes, I did have a beer at lunch but was hardly inebriated). But I was more than willing...again, better safe than sorry.

So it appears that for the rest of the cruise, I am going to have a purple eye and be the talk of the town. Yippee!!!!

We're suppoed to do the pink dolphin cruise tomorrow in Manaus, and all I can say is...I hope my sunglasses will fit over the swelling!!!!

So sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you'll be feeling better with time of course. Interesting the ship's crew response. I had a situation where in observation lounge a wine glass was broken from behind the bar and a shard flew into my eye. I was fine and was able to remove the shard. But I also experienced the interview with the ships doctor and security. Interestingly they checked the bottom of my shoes also? I was also surprised that after the incident no one from Regent checked to see how I was doing, I was fine but no one checked.

Question, have they decorated for the holidays yet or are the waiting till we board on the 21st.

Hope you can enjoy the rest of your cruise. Our Amazon cruise is one of our more memorable trips and after your reports thinking we will have to return. See you in Miami(:

Good grief, sorry about your accidents! I hope that since they insisted you see the doctor for liability reasons that you don't end up footing the bill! Note to self: don't wear flipflops while playing games up on deck!

And glad to hear you've found a home for your gifts.

Also interesting to hear about the smoke in the Amazon. Hadn't thought about that. I'm guessing it would be a dry season phenomenon? In some tropical areas there are periods of months when there is a lot of burning going on--we tried to time our SE Asia trip to avoid the worst of that in northern Thailand and Laos.

So sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you'll be feeling better with time of course. Interesting the ship's crew response. I had a situation where in observation lounge a wine glass was broken from behind the bar and a shard flew into my eye. I was fine and was able to remove the shard. But I also experienced the interview with the ships doctor and security. Interestingly they checked the bottom of my shoes also? I was also surprised that after the incident no one from Regent checked to see how I was doing, I was fine but no one checked.

Question, have they decorated for the holidays yet or are the waiting till we board on the 21st.

Hope you can enjoy the rest of your cruise. Our Amazon cruise is one of our more memorable trips and after your reports thinking we will have to return. See you in Miami(:

No one in the medical office has checked back with me, although so very many passengers and staff have expressed their concern when they've seen my face (which is in full purple swell, by the way). I am doing much better after an evening in the cabin and a decent night's sleep. I still look like crap, but have taken to telling people when they ask that I got it from Team Trivia...you'd be amazed at how many people actually believe that story!!

As for decorations, nothing is up yet, but I have heard through the grapevine that they will be doing a "surprise" decorating soon...in other words, they're not saying anything but one morning we will wake up to find all the decorations out. I sure hope so...even though we won't be on the ship for Christmas day, it would be great to get in the mood for the holidays.

Good grief, sorry about your accidents! I hope that since they insisted you see the doctor for liability reasons that you don't end up footing the bill! Note to self: don't wear flipflops while playing games up on deck!

And glad to hear you've found a home for your gifts.

Also interesting to hear about the smoke in the Amazon. Hadn't thought about that. I'm guessing it would be a dry season phenomenon? In some tropical areas there are periods of months when there is a lot of burning going on--we tried to time our SE Asia trip to avoid the worst of that in northern Thailand and Laos.

No, the doctor specifically told me that I would not be charged. I assume that when it's an accident that is no one's fault (i.e...I wasn't wasted when I stumbled into that rock!), Regent doesn't charge for medical services.

I think the smoke probably is a by-product of the dry season. It is not the only one, and those traveling here in the spring (the wet season) will find a completely different experience. It hasn't been a problem...we've just had to make a few adjustments to account for the shallower water.

As for decorations, nothing is up yet, but I have heard through the grapevine that they will be doing a "surprise" decorating soon...in other words, they're not saying anything but one morning we will wake up to find all the decorations out. I sure hope so...even though we won't be on the ship for Christmas day, it would be great to get in the mood for the holidays.

One night soon, after all the passengers have gone to bed, the elves will board the ship and do their magic and in the morning the ship will be completely decorated for the holidays

Word of warning - on some of the ships that I have been on during the holidays, there is a beautifully decorated table in the lobby full of yummy cookies which can become quite addictive!

We arrived around 8:30 to the port of Manaus. Manaus is a city of approximately 2.5 million people, and is very modern (at least, from what we can see from the port...we won't do the city tour until tomorrow, as we are overnighting here). It is totally unexpected in the Amazon (at least, it was to us). I guess we were thinking piranhas and pygmy head hunters, not metropolitan cities!!

Manaus is actually on the Rio Negro, or Black River. It is called this because the water is very dark, thanks to the debris and sediment that flows downstream to Manaus after the rainy season (basically, Jan - Jun, the wettest apparently being the Feb/March time frame). We passed by the Meeting of the Waters very early this morning, as we left the Amazon and entered the Rio Negro, but did not see it (as I was still trying to sleep off the effects of trying to rearrange my face). However, we have been told by the Destinations folks that we will enter it at around 3:30 tomorrow afternoon and Terry Breen will be giving a live commentary on it as we do. I sure hope so...we have learned so much from her.

Our tour was one we purchased on board (it was added on after we had embarked)...it was a "speedboat" to an area to see the pink dolphins. We have been very unsuccessful so far seeing those dolphins, so wanted to do the tour to see if we could get a better look at them. It did not disappoint in that aspect...after a 2 hour trip on a very loud, very rattley boat (more on that later), we went to to a floating platform where people were allowed into the water to "feed" the dolphins (in truth, the workers at the platform actually fed them, while people in the water just stood there on the platform and touched them). We had about 6 pink dolphins show up (they ARE wild, although are obviously used to getting fed if they come to that area), and got some GREAT pictures (dang it, I'm going to HAVE to post them when I finally get home). So just for seeing the dolphins, it was a great tour. However...

We were all initially loaded onto a super nice, comfortable boat. But apparently there were two people too many, including one who was with the Destinations office. So, they unloaded all of us, and put us onto a very uncomfortable and loud boat that vibrated badly...and included a back area where many were forced to sit, which had bench style seating around the sides of the boat and in which it was absolutely impossible to hear the commentary due to the engine noise. Mike even offered to stand for the tour so we could stay on the nice boat, but I guess that just wouldn't work. Long story short, they had to order another boat to take those people who were stuck in the back of the boat back to the ship after the last stop because the conditions were just so bad (I'm guessing if the Destinations girl hadn't been stuck back there, that new boat would never have been ordered).

That last stop was a real village, with people who actually live there. Much more authentic than Boca da Valeria, and I'm so glad we actually got to see it. Nothing much going on there thanks to an Amazonian holiday, but at least we got to see a village where people actually live.

Speaking of the Amazonian holiday, I have NO idea why Regent would schedule our full day in Manaus during one of their biggest holidays. Everything is closed here, and we know of at least one person who was robbed today in town because it really isn't safe to walk around down there when the shops and restaurants are closed (apparently that's when the hoodlums come out to rob the tourists, because there is no one else around to help them). Based on the itinerary, it wouldn't have been too difficult for Regent to slip the Manaus visit by a day, or push it up by a day, since we have to turn around and go back the way we came, and it wouldn't be that difficult to change out the timing of some of the other ports. I'm just glad we were able to do our tour today...it would have been awful if none of the tours was going due to the holiday.

We were told today that the Rio Negro is very acidic, and therefore no mosquitos can live here. That was great to hear...but trust me, there are lots of other bugs around to make up for it (Mike made the mistake of opening the balcony door this morning in the hopes of getting a picture, and had to close it immediately because a bunch of bugs flew in). They are not a problem...we just cannot use our balcony much while here (although I was out there earlier and had no issues).

There was a local Brazilian group who performed at 5:00pm tonight, in lieu of the normal 9:30 show because of the overnight in Manaus. They were quite good, and Terry Breen was there to give a nice commentary explaining their music.

I have decided that I don't care what my face looks like, so we will head out to dinner tonight somewhere (not sure where). It will be a quiet evening on board, but that's not a bad thing. We won't go into the city because of the holiday, and I'm guessing we will be in the majority. We have a city tour scheduled in the morning, and I am hoping to get some great photos of the Opera House. Not that I can share them here right now...!

One night soon, after all the passengers have gone to bed, the elves will board the ship and do their magic and in the morning the ship will be completely decorated for the holidays

Word of warning - on some of the ships that I have been on during the holidays, there is a beautifully decorated table in the lobby full of yummy cookies which can become quite addictive!

Haha! Like all the other cookies onboard haven't been addictive. Mike almost never eats sweets, and he's been sneaking cookies from the Coffee Connection every time we walk by! Guess I'll have to keep him off of Deck 5 until the end of the cruise!

Still loving your posts! Interestingly, on our last cruise, a representative from Destination Services only appeared on the most expensive Regent Choice excursion. IMO, they should only be there in case there is a problem on every excursion.

We are thinking of having a private excursion in Manaus -- so that we won't have the issues you did with too many people on a boat.

I am learning so much from your cruise. Thank you for taking the time to post - especially with the issues you have from your accident.

Still loving your posts! Interestingly, on our last cruise, a representative from Destination Services only appeared on the most expensive Regent Choice excursion. IMO, they should only be there in case there is a problem on every excursion.

We are thinking of having a private excursion in Manaus -- so that we won't have the issues you did with too many people on a boat.

I am learning so much from your cruise. Thank you for taking the time to post - especially with the issues you have from your accident.

Thanks TC...I really don't have many issues with my accident, other than a horrible looking face that causes many to take pause, and then wonder if they should ask what happened to me. I have taken to just telling them what happened before they have to contemplate whether or not they should ask...it just seems easier on all involved.

I think a private tour in Manaus is a great idea. If we had been here before, no doubt we would have gone the same route. We were just trying to get a feel for the area on this first trip for us. But unfortunately, it was our first trip, so we have stuck with Regent's excursions this time around. Can't say I would do them again.

We arrived around 8:30 to the port of Manaus. Manaus is a city of approximately 2.5 million people, and is very modern (at least, from what we can see from the port...we won't do the city tour until tomorrow, as we are overnighting here). It is totally unexpected in the Amazon (at least, it was to us). I guess we were thinking piranhas and pygmy head hunters, not metropolitan cities!!

Manaus is actually on the Rio Negro, or Black River. It is called this because the water is very dark, thanks to the debris and sediment that flows downstream to Manaus after the rainy season (basically, Jan - Jun, the wettest apparently being the Feb/March time frame). We passed by the Meeting of the Waters very early this morning, as we left the Amazon and entered the Rio Negro, but did not see it (as I was still trying to sleep off the effects of trying to rearrange my face). However, we have been told by the Destinations folks that we will enter it at around 3:30 tomorrow afternoon and Terry Breen will be giving a live commentary on it as we do. I sure hope so...we have learned so much from her.

Our tour was one we purchased on board (it was added on after we had embarked)...it was a "speedboat" to an area to see the pink dolphins. We have been very unsuccessful so far seeing those dolphins, so wanted to do the tour to see if we could get a better look at them. It did not disappoint in that aspect...after a 2 hour trip on a very loud, very rattley boat (more on that later), we went to to a floating platform where people were allowed into the water to "feed" the dolphins (in truth, the workers at the platform actually fed them, while people in the water just stood there on the platform and touched them). We had about 6 pink dolphins show up (they ARE wild, although are obviously used to getting fed if they come to that area), and got some GREAT pictures (dang it, I'm going to HAVE to post them when I finally get home). So just for seeing the dolphins, it was a great tour. However...

We were all initially loaded onto a super nice, comfortable boat. But apparently there were two people too many, including one who was with the Destinations office. So, they unloaded all of us, and put us onto a very uncomfortable and loud boat that vibrated badly...and included a back area where many were forced to sit, which had bench style seating around the sides of the boat and in which it was absolutely impossible to hear the commentary due to the engine noise. Mike even offered to stand for the tour so we could stay on the nice boat, but I guess that just wouldn't work. Long story short, they had to order another boat to take those people who were stuck in the back of the boat back to the ship after the last stop because the conditions were just so bad (I'm guessing if the Destinations girl hadn't been stuck back there, that new boat would never have been ordered).

That last stop was a real village, with people who actually live there. Much more authentic than Boca da Valeria, and I'm so glad we actually got to see it. Nothing much going on there thanks to an Amazonian holiday, but at least we got to see a village where people actually live.

Speaking of the Amazonian holiday, I have NO idea why Regent would schedule our full day in Manaus during one of their biggest holidays. Everything is closed here, and we know of at least one person who was robbed today in town because it really isn't safe to walk around down there when the shops and restaurants are closed (apparently that's when the hoodlums come out to rob the tourists, because there is no one else around to help them). Based on the itinerary, it wouldn't have been too difficult for Regent to slip the Manaus visit by a day, or push it up by a day, since we have to turn around and go back the way we came, and it wouldn't be that difficult to change out the timing of some of the other ports. I'm just glad we were able to do our tour today...it would have been awful if none of the tours was going due to the holiday.

We were told today that the Rio Negro is very acidic, and therefore no mosquitos can live here. That was great to hear...but trust me, there are lots of other bugs around to make up for it (Mike made the mistake of opening the balcony door this morning in the hopes of getting a picture, and had to close it immediately because a bunch of bugs flew in). They are not a problem...we just cannot use our balcony much while here (although I was out there earlier and had no issues).

There was a local Brazilian group who performed at 5:00pm tonight, in lieu of the normal 9:30 show because of the overnight in Manaus. They were quite good, and Terry Breen was there to give a nice commentary explaining their music.

I have decided that I don't care what my face looks like, so we will head out to dinner tonight somewhere (not sure where). It will be a quiet evening on board, but that's not a bad thing. We won't go into the city because of the holiday, and I'm guessing we will be in the majority. We have a city tour scheduled in the morning, and I am hoping to get some great photos of the Opera House. Not that I can share them here right now...!

Another great report, Tami, and much appreciated by we who must stay landlocked. Somehow, I, too, imagined you'd be among dart shooters and expanded lip plates. Shucks, that city you described might just as well be Dallas on a Sunday afternoon. You might get a black eye patch to add to your formal attire just to give tongue waggers something to address. Too bad you're not sending out photos. You could likely do it if you downloaded one of those programs everyone touts. Keep the text flowing. Jack

I hate to be the one to call BS on you Tami, but people deserve the real story. I'm not going to detail the whole sordid mess from the police report but your fans should know that it involved six inch heels, several gauchos, three tango dancers, and a wonderful bar fight. Luckily Mike was able to overcome almost insurmountable odds and escape with his honor and most of your face intact.

That's my story, it's a good story, and I'm sticking to it.

Another great report, Tami, and much appreciated by we who must stay landlocked. Somehow, I, too, imagined you'd be among dart shooters and expanded lip plates. Shucks, that city you described might just as well be Dallas on a Sunday afternoon. You might get a black eye patch to add to your formal attire just to give tongue waggers something to address. Too bad you're not sending out photos. You could likely do it if you downloaded one of those programs everyone touts. Keep the text flowing. Jack

The internet is too slow Jack, or I'd download one of those programs. Impossible now that Regent has offered free internet to everyone. It isn't horrible...but it is very like dial-up in many ways, and not worth my time to download an app just to post pictures that I can post when I get home.

Lorraine did have a black eye patch delivered to the cabin today, and I tried it on but realized I cannot use it. It sits right across the cut above my eyebrow that bled so much when the accident first happened, and hurts far too much to use. It's okay. Slowly but surely everyone on board is figuring out that I am "that woman" who had the accident (news travels fast on a ship with only 700 passengers)...and they have all been so gracious and kind about it. Seriously...Regent passengers are the best!!!

I hate to be the one to call BS on you Tami, but people deserve the real story. I'm not going to detail the whole sordid mess from the police report but your fans should know that it involved six inch heels, several gauchos, three tango dancers, and a wonderful bar fight. Luckily Mike was able to overcome almost insurmountable odds and escape with his honor and most of your face intact.

That's my story, it's a good story, and I'm sticking to it.

Oh, I wish. What a better story that would have been!

Although you still have two weeks remaining on your cruise and hopefully by that time your face will be completely healed, but I thought I would pass on this piece of information.

TSA personnel are trained to look for victims of either domestic violence, human trafficking or people being forced to travel against their will. One of my Mom's friends had fallen in her bathtub and I suspect her face looked similar to yours. She was flying one week later and was quite surprised at the airport as she was standing in line to go through security when two kind uniformed women approached her and took her out of line and into a private room. They questioned her to learn of what caused her two black eyes and swollen face. In the meantime, her husband was instructed to continue through security and he tells that although he was free to move around, there were officers watching him.

My Mom's friend tells us that the questioning officers could not have been more kind and as a retired foreign language teacher, she was pleased to learn the extent of languages spoken by the officers.

Although you still have two weeks remaining on your cruise and hopefully by that time your face will be completely healed, but I thought I would pass on this piece of information.

TSA personnel are trained to look for victims of either domestic violence, human trafficking or people being forced to travel against their will. One of my Mom's friends had fallen in her bathtub and I suspect her face looked similar to yours. She was flying one week later and was quite surprised at the airport as she was standing in line to go through security when two kind uniformed women approached her and took her out of line and into a private room. They questioned her to learn of what caused her two black eyes and swollen face. In the meantime, her husband was instructed to continue through security and he tells that although he was free to move around, there were officers watching him.

My Mom's friend tells us that the questioning officers could not have been more kind and as a retired foreign language teacher, she was pleased to learn the extent of languages spoken by the officers.

We are spending 10 days in Orlando after the cruise, so hopefully the bruising and swelling will all be gone by then. But thanks for the info...I had no idea the TSA looked for such things.

We originally had a Meeting of the Waters cruise booked for the morning, but after the previous day's very long boat trip to see the pink dolphins, we switched to the city tour of Manaus. It was quite interesting, although extremely hot. We visited the anthropology museum, where artifacts from the native Indians are displayed; the opera house, and the zoo. I'm glad we switched to that tour...it was a great way to see the city. We also were able to accomplish two things. First, Mike got his Brazilian money (he collects currency from all the places we visit). And secondly, we were able to prove something we've heard for years...that water spins backwards south of the equator from how it spins north of the equator in a drain (it is true...the rotation is counterclockwise south of the equator). Silly I know...but it felt like we accomplished something we wanted to do regardless!

We sailed out at 2:30, and hit the Meeting of the Waters (the Rio Negro flowing into the Amazon) about an hour later. It was in the middle of a pretty good storm, so we weren't sure we were going to see much, but it ended up being spectacular. In fact, Terry Breen was giving an ongoing commentary, and she even said that she had never seen the waters look that amazing. She said that National Geographic would most certainly have showcased the waters, they were so impressive. So we apparently got really lucky and had a fantastic Meeting of the Waters to see (pictures to follow when I can actually post them, I promise).

Marla, the Social Hostess, sang as our evening entertainer, but we didn't stay for the whole show. We were pretty tired and just wanted to have an early evening. Speaking of the entertainment, Mike mentioned that he feels as if this cruise has really been lacking in quality entertainment, and I have to agree. The guest performers have for the most part been just okay, and the JAR performers are only doing 3 shows total in this 25 day cruise. It's kind of a shame, since we do enjoy going to the shows after dinner. But it hasn't decreased our enjoyment of the cruise any; we have just been surprised that for a longer cruise, the entertainment hasn't been a bit better.

Can't believe the cruise is now officially more than halfway over.

Parintins is apparently a port that is on cruise ship itineraries strictly for the Boi Bumba show. For those who do not know, the Boi Bumba is a folk show that incorporates singing and dancing with beautiful costumes, and pays tribute to local legends and folklore. It is a huge thing in Amazonia, and the 3 day Boi Bumba festival in June is second only to the Carnivale in Rio here in Brazil. In fact, there is a 35,000 seat arena (the Bumbodrome...seriously) in Parintins built just for the festival. There were only two tours offered in Parintins...the city tour and the Boi Bumba show. About 450 passengers attended the Boi Bumba show, so obviously that was the big draw to the port.

We originally were going to do the city tour, but Mike decided he just wanted to stay on the ship (it's a tender port, and he hates tendering), so I got a ticket to the show instead. The normal port where the tender boats drop passengers off is right in the middle of the town, near the convention center where the show is performed (it is not performed in the Bumbodrome for cruise ship passengers, but instead is performed in a small, rather cramped and crowded venue with limited visibility unless you happen to be on the first row). Unfortunately, that port is under renovation, so we had to be tendered to a spot west of town, and then board very old, very hot buses to take us into town. With that number of people attending the show, it was nothing short of a logistics nightmare for the crew, and they did very well. I was on the first tender out for the show, and ended up waiting an hour and 20 minutes for the show to start, because that's how long it took to get everyone there. But I was also the first one out, because they were very organized and made sure that everyone "suffered" equally.

The show itself was...interesting. The music was incredibly loud, and as I've already noted, unless you were on the front row, you really couldn't see the dancing very well (it was performed on the floor, not on a stage, so if you were further back, all you could really see was the top half of the performers). But it was very energetic and it was obvious those performers had worked exceptionally hard to perfect all the numbers. I'm glad I did it...but would not do it again unless the venue was changed.

The town of Parintins has very little to offer, with the exception of the vendors who park outside the convention center to try to sell tourists things before or after the show. Not a place worth visiting if the show wasn't there.

We had dinner reservations at Prime 7 with our other trivia team members and it was excellent...until Mike and I both had to cut it short because we suddenly developed severe stomach cramps. The only explanation we can come up with is that something was wrong with the shrimp or the cocktail sauce that our butler delivered to us this afternoon. There is no way both of us would fall ill with the exact same problem at the exact same time, and so suddenly, unless it was something we both ate (and the only thing we both ate was that shrimp). So we hightailed it back to the cabin before dessert, and have been here ever since. We are both feeling better, but what a way to mess up a nice dinner!!!

Speaking of our butler Charlie, he continues to be very good, but we are going to have to tell him to stop barging in whenever he needs to get into the cabin. He rings the bell, and then immediately opens the door...without ever giving us the opportunity to answer the door or make sure we are "decent." I cannot tell you how many times he has done that and I have been in some stage of undress!!! We are just not in the habit of putting out the Do Not Disturb sign whenever we are in our cabin, and I don't think we should have to, so I guess I'll have to tell him to wait at least a minute before just opening the door after ringing the bell!

Tomorrow is Alter do Chao, which is basically just a beach on the river, so I'm not sure we'll get off the ship there (it is another tender port...UGH). If not, there are plenty of on board activities for us to...although I think I'll pass on the putting tournament this time!!!

Sorry to hear about your upset stomach. Also concerned about the heat (I'm not a heat person but have vowed to do the Amazon cruise to make my DH happy). How is the air conditioning on the ship? And, is your suite starboard or port?

So far, has this cruise lived up to your expectations (specifically the Amazon?) Looking forward to further reports and apologize for all of the questions.

Parintins is apparently a port that is on cruise ship itineraries strictly for the Boi Bumba show. For those who do not know, the Boi Bumba is a folk show that incorporates singing and dancing with beautiful costumes, and pays tribute to local legends and folklore. It is a huge thing in Amazonia, and the 3 day Boi Bumba festival in June is second only to the Carnivale in Rio here in Brazil. In fact, there is a 35,000 seat arena (the Bumbodrome...seriously) in Parintins built just for the festival. There were only two tours offered in Parintins...the city tour and the Boi Bumba show. About 450 passengers attended the Boi Bumba show, so obviously that was the big draw to the port.

We originally were going to do the city tour, but Mike decided he just wanted to stay on the ship (it's a tender port, and he hates tendering), so I got a ticket to the show instead. The normal port where the tender boats drop passengers off is right in the middle of the town, near the convention center where the show is performed (it is not performed in the Bumbodrome for cruise ship passengers, but instead is performed in a small, rather cramped and crowded venue with limited visibility unless you happen to be on the first row). Unfortunately, that port is under renovation, so we had to be tendered to a spot west of town, and then board very old, very hot buses to take us into town. With that number of people attending the show, it was nothing short of a logistics nightmare for the crew, and they did very well. I was on the first tender out for the show, and ended up waiting an hour and 20 minutes for the show to start, because that's how long it took to get everyone there. But I was also the first one out, because they were very organized and made sure that everyone "suffered" equally.

The show itself was...interesting. The music was incredibly loud, and as I've already noted, unless you were on the front row, you really couldn't see the dancing very well (it was performed on the floor, not on a stage, so if you were further back, all you could really see was the top half of the performers). But it was very energetic and it was obvious those performers had worked exceptionally hard to perfect all the numbers. I'm glad I did it...but would not do it again unless the venue was changed.

The town of Parintins has very little to offer, with the exception of the vendors who park outside the convention center to try to sell tourists things before or after the show. Not a place worth visiting if the show wasn't there.

We had dinner reservations at Prime 7 with our other trivia team members and it was excellent...until Mike and I both had to cut it short because we suddenly developed severe stomach cramps. The only explanation we can come up with is that something was wrong with the shrimp or the cocktail sauce that our butler delivered to us this afternoon. There is no way both of us would fall ill with the exact same problem at the exact same time, and so suddenly, unless it was something we both ate (and the only thing we both ate was that shrimp). So we hightailed it back to the cabin before dessert, and have been here ever since. We are both feeling better, but what a way to mess up a nice dinner!!!

Speaking of our butler Charlie, he continues to be very good, but we are going to have to tell him to stop barging in whenever he needs to get into the cabin. He rings the bell, and then immediately opens the door...without ever giving us the opportunity to answer the door or make sure we are "decent." I cannot tell you how many times he has done that and I have been in some stage of undress!!! We are just not in the habit of putting out the Do Not Disturb sign whenever we are in our cabin, and I don't think we should have to, so I guess I'll have to tell him to wait at least a minute before just opening the door after ringing the bell!

Tomorrow is Alter do Chao, which is basically just a beach on the river, so I'm not sure we'll get off the ship there (it is another tender port...UGH). If not, there are plenty of on board activities for us to...although I think I'll pass on the putting tournament this time!!!

Butler Charlie in the black tails is a man. Charlie knows the passenger privacy rules. He's no first timer at cruising. Charlie may have caught you once 'Nu et sans vêtements' and enjoyed the catch. He can't pass your cabin now without the overpowering male compulsion to burst in for another peek. The door tag display may work, but I doubt it. Mike's going to have greet him in shorts at the door and deliver the Don't Distrurb sign in person. It will be a peek Butler Charlie won't forget.

Sorry to hear about your upset stomach. Also concerned about the heat (I'm not a heat person but have vowed to do the Amazon cruise to make my DH happy). How is the air conditioning on the ship? And, is your suite starboard or port?

So far, has this cruise lived up to your expectations (specifically the Amazon?) Looking forward to further reports and apologize for all of the questions.

The A/C on the ship has been fantastic (we have an aft Horizon View suite in the very middle, so are neither aft nor starboard). No problems whatsoever, even in this sometimes unbearable heat. I have to warn you though...when I say unbearable, I mean it. I grew up in southern coastal Georgia, so am used to high humidity and temperatures...and I have been just about put at my absolute limit a few times. The worst has been the tenders...with no ventilation and a long wait to load and unload, the tenders are almost unbearable for me. But I have to consider the benefits at the end. Also, Mike and I really like the more casual pool bar...but have often had to forego it when we are in port, because it is simply too hot. When the ship is moving, it is pleasant because there is a breeze blowing. But when it is still? UGH. That being said, we have just "sucked it up" and dealt with the heat, even if it meant being less than comfortable at times. You will always be able to find a cool spot on the ship to hang out...but sometimes, we just choose to be a bit uncomfortable just for the company or ambience.

As for the cruise, we have loved it. We really had no expectations, other than it was Regent and with that comes some assumptions, and we have not been disappointed. Seriously...it has been fantastic. If I have given the impression otherwise, I apologize. We have been having the time of our lives, and I am now a bit depressed realizing how little time we have left on board the beautiful Mariner.

Please feel free to ask any questions!!!