Explorer Mid-cruise comments

captjohn

Room F1, Very good, plenty of room, glad we chose this room.

Food , excellent, don't understand other comments that have been negative.

We have had dinner in Chartreuse, Pacific Rim and feel the food was the best we have experienced. Tonight we had dinner in Compass Rose the food was very good BUT the noise level was very high! We will not go back for dinner in Compass Rose.We did see that the room is in a "U" shape and think that if your table was in the top of the "U" it would be better.

It is interesting how we all have different tastes. We could forego the specialty restaurants and dine in CR every night. Tonight was loud as it typically is after the Captain's Reception when officers are hosting tables and the dining venue becomes crowded very quickly.

We actually sit on the side (at or close to a window) and have not noticed noise. It is a quiet little "cove" (for lack of a better word) with only two tables by the window and two inside from there. I suspect that being out in the middle would be noisy.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your cruise!

Is it possible to dine every night in restaurants other than CR as captjohn has suggested? I thought you had to book all restaurants other than CR and Sette Mare. Maybe your cruise is not too full. Also we would like to know what horsd'eurves are there on the new always available menu in the CR.

Captjohn did say he would not go back to Compass Rose, but that could mean he will eat instead at Sette Mare if he can't get into one of the specialty restaurants.

You can get into the specialty restaurants more than once if you ask on a daily basis and are willing to dine with groups of strangers.

Edited by JPR

OK- thinking I had a little too much fun last night :) But really it was noisy. Jackie I think we will go for the side area like you suggested. Once on board you can try for more reservations in the specialty restaurants. We have secured 3 additional nights.

If you are in a Grand or Master Suite (or the Regent Suite) you can dine every night in a specialty restaurant. This is something that we will definitely not be doing as we find CR simply too good. The specialty restaurants are fine but not for every night. We had lunch with a couple yesterday that preferred the steak in CR over the steak in P7.

eliana, will try to post the appetizer selections on the everyday menu. We have been quite busy but plan on making the next few days "sea days" (although we will likely take walks ashore).

Appetizers, soups and salads on the everyday CR menu is as follows:

Traditional Shrimp Cocktail

Alaskan Crab Salad

Norwegian Style Gravlax

Lobster Bisque

Iberico Ham (baby artichokes and white bean salad)

Black Angus Beef Carpaccio

Pan-Seared Foie Gras

Egg & Truffle (soft poached egg and black truffle)

Fruit Cup

Mixed Greens salad

Classic Caesar salad

San Marzano Tomato soup

Well after a week aboard- I love this ship ! The only complaint I had was the noise in CR. Well on our second visit we got a table in the very back of the room- it was great ! Thanks Jackie. Also getting on/off the tender is much better and safer. All the specialty restaurants are great also. Service by staff has been wonderful.

1. For those on Explorer, any further comments on the following issues that have come up previously:

Infinity Pool - accessibility & availability

Theatre - sightlines

Entertainment - Quality of shows & performers

2. Any reports from the refurbished Voyager (first cruise following refurb started today?)

Infinity pool is empty and will be closed on the next leg of the cruise. IMO, it is an over-rated area.

Sightline criticism in the Constellation Theater is, IMO, over-inflated. Yes - there are some seats blocked by columns (not sure about balcony) but I would guess that 90% of seats on deck 4 have perfectly good views of the stage.

Quality of shows and performers is subjective. This cruise has had several guest entertainers (a magician, an opera singer and a comedian -- all wonderful). We do not care for the shows in general but loved the three that were guest entertainers and the Hollywood show. Tonight is a show put on by C.D. John Barron. We are on Facebook with John and his shows have had rave reviews.

Any posts about the Voyager will likely be on another thread.

captjohn: So happy that you have visited CR once again and have enjoyed it!

Edited by Travelcat2

Do you know the reason why the infinity pool has been drained and closed?

The infinity pool is not "empty" in the sense of having no water ...... just few people going into it. My DH went by it a while ago and the water is splashing out of it. It will be drained and closed during the transatlantic voyage for some type of maintenance.

Went for second visit to infinity pool. The same person that was there this morning is still there (thinking that he'll have a heck of a sunburn.)

Infinity%20Pool%201_zpsk3iuayue.jpg

In the next photo I tried to capture the waves. The pool depth is 5' 3" however, due to the seas, it is closer to 4' in depth at the moment. My DH loved it but the chlorine was so strong that it hurt his eyes and he had to get out.

Infinity%20Pool%202_zpssx0xk6u6.jpg

Edited by Travelcat2

• 3 weeks later...

As per the Regent website: FREE Unlimited WiFi is included in your cruise fare and you may access the internet throughout the entirety of each ship, including all suites, public rooms and outdoor decks. Upon embarkation, you will receive one login per suite, which may be used on one device at a time. As part of our loyalty program’s benefits, Seven Seas Society members who have reached the Gold-level and higher can be logged into multiple devices at the same time under a single login.

So note it's 'free', but limited to one device at a time. There is much discussion elsewhere on this board about the connectivity status - the best summary is variable.

Thank you Catpow. I certainly hope it works in some shape or form. The 2 Oceania cruises i have done, the internet was patchy at the best of times, even in their own computer room. They promised a lot and I bought their internet package but could not connect at all whilst cruising out of Stockholm. The next day I went to reception and told them to remove it from my account as it was not working. Apparently it worked well at around 2am, if you wished to get up that early hahaha

I was never bothered by level of sound in CR. In fact, I really didn't notice. Perhaps because we always sat in the side so we could have our favorite waiter. I found the food in all restaurants to be excellent. I love the new menu in CR, but, at the same time I love the specialty restaurants. The food was over the top everywhere we dined in. I love the way the Veranda has been redone. Much easier to get to the different serving stations and the decor is very elegant. This is a beautiful ship and we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. As TravelCat2 said, entertainment is subjective. I though the cast was good but then I always enjoyed JAR singers and dancers. John Barron was excellent as CR (first time we met him). I don't care for magicians so that venue was not for me. By the way, the selection of wines was very good in my opinion. We had some very good wines. My DH always orders a special bottle in the specialty restaurants and the second time we ate there we had what they were serving because it was so good. In fact, he found an Italian Chianti he loved in Sette Mare and asked our local liquor store to get it for him. All in all a beautiful ship (very elegant everywhere) with wonderful crew members and the best food.

Edited by forevertravel