Beer choices on Mariner

fdnycruiser

Just wondering if anyone knows what the current beer selection is on the Mariner. Will be boarding on the 26th,and keeping fingers crossed for a good IPA or craft beers. Thanks

Why don't you just request what you want ahead of time? I have requested Belgian beers while friends have requested their favorite IPA in advance. Nothing like having a case of your favorite beer onboard.

After all, why are we sailing luxury cruise lines if we can't make such requests?

Marc

Edited by Marq

Why don't you just request what you want ahead of time? I have requested Belgian beers while friends have requested their favorite IPA in advance. Nothing like having a case of your favorite beer onboard.

After all, why are we sailing luxury cruise lines if we can't make such requests?

Marc

I like your hex. :D

Just wondering if anyone knows what the current beer selection is on the Mariner. Will be boarding on the 26th,and keeping fingers crossed for a good IPA or craft beers. Thanks

Definitely request the type or brand of beer you like; otherwise, you'll probably be disappointed. I have filled out many Regent Comment Cards bemoaning the lack of local beers and the mundane selection available at lunch.

Good Sailing.

I don't often drink beer anymore (Bourbon, maybe. Scotch, yes. Beer, not so much) but I agree - there are some fantastic local beers out there; I'll have one or two in a port if it's hot out and I've had some excellent brews. Wouldn't be too difficult to bring a few cases on board for those who like to sip a cold one...

But what are the limits that they can go to? "Local beers" are just that. For instance, on our Miami - Lima trip in January, could we ask for beer from the literally hundreds of "local" craft breweries here in Florida? I think not. And even if they did go to great lengths to get a Cycle Brewery beer from St. Pete's, would that just be for the room, or would they have it in the bars? And would you actually get any before it all got drunk up (so to speak.)

Last time we were on Regent the best they could stock in their bars was Sierra Nevada, which isn't bad.

Might have better luck asking for something national, like Yuengling or Sam Adams. I'll have to ask David what he'd like!

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

You need to make requests for special alcohol, beer, etc. 60 -90 days in advance of the cruise (depending upon the location of the ship). Regent can charge for special requests - depending upon what you are requesting.

This information was shared on the Regent board a few months ship. The information came from Regent headquarters in Miami.

But what are the limits that they can go to? "Local beers" are just that. For instance, on our Miami - Lima trip in January, could we ask for beer from the literally hundreds of "local" craft breweries here in Florida? I think not. And even if they did go to great lengths to get a Cycle Brewery beer from St. Pete's, would that just be for the room, or would they have it in the bars? And would you actually get any before it all got drunk up (so to speak.)

Last time we were on Regent the best they could stock in their bars was Sierra Nevada, which isn't bad.

Might have better luck asking for something national, like Yuengling or Sam Adams. I'll have to ask David what he'd like!

Well, realistically, you'd need to be a bit selective, I think. Every time I go to the beer store, I'm amazed by the sheer number of 'craft brews' popping up. I guess what I was thinking of was overseas ports where there are several 'nationally popular' brands - which oftentimes aren't the best beers you can get, but a lot of them are pretty durn good.

Examples: Greece, you could probably stock some Mythos. I'm sure it's not the best Greek beer, but it's not bad. Spain, maybe a San Miguel? Israel could be Goldstar or Maccabee...just something to give you a taste of the local flavor. If the F&B manager knew of a local favorite, he could lay in a few cases of that, too - it wouldn't bee too tough, and beer keeps pretty well. You obviously couldn't have a HUGE selection, but having a few locals on board would be kind of fun...

Well, realistically, you'd need to be a bit selective, I think. Every time I go to the beer store, I'm amazed by the sheer number of 'craft brews' popping up. I guess what I was thinking of was overseas ports where there are several 'nationally popular' brands - which oftentimes aren't the best beers you can get, but a lot of them are pretty durn good.

Examples: Greece, you could probably stock some Mythos. I'm sure it's not the best Greek beer, but it's not bad. Spain, maybe a San Miguel? Israel could be Goldstar or Maccabee...just something to give you a taste of the local flavor. If the F&B manager knew of a local favorite, he could lay in a few cases of that, too - it wouldn't bee too tough, and beer keeps pretty well. You obviously couldn't have a HUGE selection, but having a few locals on board would be kind of fun...

Okay, so you just mean local national brands. Like Singha in Thailand or Tiger in Singapore. But people going on cruises don't necessarily know what those are until they get there. So getting on in Miami and going to the southern Caribbean, Colombia, Panama, etc., who knows? Guess we'll wing it. Although they certainly could get some nice beer on in Miami!

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

When my DH craves a beer, he has Guinness "export" which does the trick (always available on Regent)=

Ouch! I try to get the nitro-canned Guinness as the "Export" version (exported to whom?) is, to me, harsh and bitter rather than the classic velvety smooth draft Guinness. The canned version is close to draft.

I guess that's why there are two versions for different palettes.

OOO! While we're at it, is there any beer that's on tap on the Explorer? If there could be Guiness on tap, that would be a great and wonderful thing!!!

No draft beer on the ship (but plenty of champagne;))

Portolan, agree about Guinness - not my favorite beer although my preference runs to very dark, malty ales. I know the nitro-canned Guinness that you are referring to but this is not onboard. They carry an "export" bottle that is 7% alcohol (about twice that of regular Guinness). We are able to get this in stores at home as well.

We have been onboard a Regent ship when local beer and/or wines have been purchased and served. I suppose it depends upon itinerary - we have seen more local wines onboard than beer.

We love the way the ships buy the local beers when in port; craft beers are great at home but 'when in Rome' it's fun to try the local brew. Yes, Samuel Adams/Sierra Nevada seem to be the best of the US beers available, but really the local beers, usually available first at the pool bar are great - get to know your bar tender early in the cruise. They'll treat your interest in their products with enthusiasm. And let's keep political hate disguised in code out of CC - please?

Ouch! I try to get the nitro-canned Guinness as the "Export" version (exported to whom?) is, to me, harsh and bitter rather than the classic velvety smooth draft Guinness. The canned version is close to draft.

I guess that's why there are two versions for different palettes.

I used to like to drink Guinness years ago, but I discovered that the closer you get to Dublin, the better it tastes. It's good in the States, better in Europe, and absolutely phenomenal in Ireland. After imbibing a few pints at St. James's Gate, I realized that unless you're actually drinking it right there, it's not quite 'right' - after my first trip to Ireland, I wasn't able to drink Guinness at home for a long, long time...

Guinness Export is specially brewed for the Caribbean market. There are several different verities of the Guinness brand that can be identified by the label, all have different types of roasted barley. Darker the roast tends to equate to a more bitter taste. To then balance that, more sugar is used resulting in a more alcoholic percentage.

I totally agree that THE best pint of Guinness is had at St James Gate!

On recent trips to the States I have been please to see and taste the increase of local micro brew especially IPAs. It would be nice to sample some onboard.

Guinness Export is specially brewed for the Caribbean market. There are several different verities of the Guinness brand that can be identified by the label, all have different types of roasted barley. Darker the roast tends to equate to a more bitter taste. To then balance that, more sugar is used resulting in a more alcoholic percentage.

I totally agree that THE best pint of Guinness is had at St James Gate!

On recent trips to the States I have been please to see and taste the increase of local micro brew especially IPAs. It would be nice to sample some onboard.

We did the Brewery tour in Dublin (which includes a pint in the bar at the top of the building). I foolishly thought - RESULT - my wife says she does not like beer so I thought she will never be able to drink a pint of Guinness! (so Stevie gets twofors:D)

Did I get near that hoped for second pint - did I hell!

Edited by SteveH2508

fdnycruiser: Second your thoughts...in the past they always had Sam Adams and some lighter choices like Corona etc. Twice I found a Sierra Nevada on the list...but never an IPA let alone a good IPA.

Will be on the mariner later than you...but would love to have a good IPA choice...how can we do this ?

catpow: Would love to try the local beers, but never found a local (truly local) beer on the ships etc. Ok, if we consider Corona or Tekate to be "local" when sailing the Caribbean, then yes :-) But otherwise, no...not even a Red Stripe when in Jamaica or a Mythos when in Greece.

If they have Guinness, what about Smithwicks? Otherwise, I guess I'll have to ask them to put on some Killians Irish Red.

Never have seen Smithwicks, but often have Boddingtons. Also, despite what was stated earlier by another poster, they have had the Guinness nitro-cans on occasion, but they have to scrounge around for it.

Correction to my previous post. When you ask for a Guinness you receive a "Guinness Foreign Extra" not an export (or whatever I said). The Foreign Extra is what is available in stores at home. They certainly could have Guinness in the nitro-cans but we haven't seen it. I know that they used to carry it -- perhaps the Explorer, being a new ship, just isn't carrying it - don't know for sure.

Edited by Travelcat2