'Special' Dinners in Compass Rose

machotspur

The second night is generally the Captain's Reception (unless the ship overnights at the first port). The Captain's Farewell is the second to the last night onboard. As you know, on these nights the menu's in CR are a bit more special than normal. Remember that loads of people go to CR at the conclusion of this events. We tend to leave the event at 6:30 p.m. when CR opens and it isn't crowded. The other alternative to avoid the big crowd is to go around 8:00 p.m.

Hello Travelcat2

I found this response from your kind self, to a question regarding special dinner nights on Regent (in 2014 !).

Mrs machotspur and I are taking our first Regent cruise in March - a B2B on Explorer - 2 x 10 nights.

Is the guidance you gave in 2014 still correct to this day, specifically on Explorer ?

I'm assuming that as we are on a B2B we will experience - if we wish to - two Captain's Reception and two Captain's Farewell dinners. Am I correct ?

Thank you so much for your (any anyone else's) kind assistance.

Hello Travelcat2

I found this response from your kind self, to a question regarding special dinner nights on Regent (in 2014 !).

Mrs machotspur and I are taking our first Regent cruise in March - a B2B on Explorer - 2 x 10 nights.

Is the guidance you gave in 2014 still correct to this day, specifically on Explorer ?

I'm assuming that as we are on a B2B we will experience - if we wish to - two Captain's Reception and two Captain's Farewell dinners. Am I correct ?

Thank you so much for your (any anyone else's) kind assistance.

Hi - amazing that you found one of my posts from so long ago. :)

Yes - we are just finishing a B2B cruise on the Explorer and there were two Captain's Receptions and we will have our second Captain's Farewell in a couple of days. What has changed is the menu in CR (on the Explorer, Voyager and Navigator). Now we can order lobster tails, Filet Mignon or many other delicious items every night. So, this makes the "specialness" of these two nights a little less special They did offer a caviar appetizer, Maine lobster and Chateaubriand for one of the nights.

One very new thing on the Explorer is the amazing Sunday brunch in Compass Rose serving almost everything imaginable - from fresh crepes, sushi, sashimi, prawns, crab legs, prosciutto -- too many things to list. I recommend skipping breakfast for this great feast.

It does seem that passengers now enjoy CR so much that going to the specialty restaurants once is more than enough. The crowds going into CR seems to occur every night. The great thing is that it is handled well by the great staff (the new computerized order taking system really helps).

Don't forget to try lunch in Chartreuse and P7. On port days they alternate which restaurant will be open but on sea days both are open (and CR is not open for lunch except Sunday).

Perhaps I've given you more information than you asked for. I think that you will really enjoy your cruises on the beautiful Explorer!

Perhaps I've given you more information than you asked for. I think that you will really enjoy your cruises on the beautiful Explorer!

Thank you so much for your ultra speedy and extremely helpful reply.

We are long time Silversea & Seabourn cruisers so we are enjoying learning about Regent from those with the knowledge.

Final balance is due this week so we are getting our restaurant reservation requests ready to put online :)

PS - a little off topic - we spent quite a while choosing the suite from online brochure for a ship that, at the time, was yet to have it's Maiden Voyage. We went with a Seven Seas 1 in the end which if I remember correctly you have spoken favourably about ?

Edited by machotspur
addition of question

Hi - amazing that you found one of my posts from so long ago. :)

Yes - we are just finishing a B2B cruise on the Explorer and there were two Captain's Receptions and we will have our second Captain's Farewell in a couple of days. What has changed is the menu in CR (on the Explorer, Voyager and Navigator). Now we can order lobster tails, Filet Mignon or many other delicious items every night. So, this makes the "specialness" of these two nights a little less special They did offer a caviar appetizer, Maine lobster and Chateaubriand for one of the nights.

One very new thing on the Explorer is the amazing Sunday brunch in Compass Rose serving almost everything imaginable - from fresh crepes, sushi, sashimi, prawns, crab legs, prosciutto -- too many things to list. I recommend skipping breakfast for this great feast.

It does seem that passengers now enjoy CR so much that going to the specialty restaurants once is more than enough. The crowds going into CR seems to occur every night. The great thing is that it is handled well by the great staff (the new computerized order taking system really helps).

Don't forget to try lunch in Chartreuse and P7. On port days they alternate which restaurant will be open but on sea days both are open (and CR is not open for lunch except Sunday).

------------

Sue and I will be doing March 26-April 18 B2B on Explorer--Miami via Barcelona to Venice. Thanks for the insight as to added attraction of CR, which has always been great. Now--

Request confirmation/clarification on CR not being open for lunch except Sunday. Really? This would be quite a change.

Over to you--

GOARMY!

Thank you so much for your ultra speedy and extremely helpful reply.

We are long time Silversea & Seabourn cruisers so we are enjoying learning about Regent from those with the knowledge.

Final balance is due this week so we are getting our restaurant reservation requests ready to put online :)

PS - a little off topic - we spent quite a while choosing the suite from online brochure for a ship that, at the time, was yet to have it's Maiden Voyage. We went with a Seven Seas 1 in the end which if I remember correctly you have spoken favourably about ?

Great memory - we love the Seven Seas suite - not sure if it "1" or "2" - just be sure it is the one with 1 1/2 bathrooms!

Just sailed away going towards Miami. After 27 days on board, as much as I love the ship, we are looking forward to going home to our kitties:)

"GOARMY" - Confirming that Compass is only open for "brunch" on Sundays and is not open for lunch the rest of the week. Yes - big change but with the wonderful "new" La Veranda, the great pool bar (think that they have an expanded menu - we had lobster nachos today and I don't recall them being offered previously) and a specialty restaurant being open we don't miss lunch in CR.

Okay - have to go - many things planned this evening - starting in about 20 minutes and ending with "Liar's Club" in the Constellation Theater. It was a huge hit last week so they are doing it again!

Edited by Travelcat2

------------

Sue and I will be doing March 26-April 18 B2B on Explorer--Miami via Barcelona to Venice. Thanks for the insight as to added attraction of CR, which has always been great. Now--

Request confirmation/clarification on CR not being open for lunch except Sunday. Really? This would be quite a change.

Over to you--

GOARMY!

We'll be on the second half of that one, BCN-VCE, me, DM, my mom and her husband. Just under 130 days for us. Counting them down!

GOAIRFORCE! :cool: