RSSC Explorer Grand Suite.

windjammerguy

We were in a forward Grand Suite on the cruise that ended last Friday. IMO, an aft suite would be better as the wind in the front of the ship was fierce at times.

The Explorer suite is very similar (almost identical) to the Grand Suite but has a much smaller balcony and is in positions that I don't care for (under the pool deck, under the bridge for instance).

We will be in a Master Suite in March for the crossing (may be the same cruise that you are on) and expect the aft suite to be more comfortable than the one we were in.

• 9 months later...
I do not see any reviews of the GS Aft.

The picture and layout on the website is the same as the explorer suite. which differs from one of the video's

trying to get some feedback. before I travel in March.

Hi Windjammerguy,

We had seen your review of the GS Aft suite on Explorer. Wondering if you had any picts of the suite and terrace? We will be sailing in suite 785 Oct 21st for two weeks from Rome and wanted to get an idea of it as there are no pictures on the Regent site. It will be my wife, my 15 month son Lorenzo and I traveling.

Thanks so much in advance if you're able to help. Please email to davidericberger@yahoo.com

Regards,

David, Caterina and Lorenzo

We were in the Grand Suite aft in January. Great ride, no noise.

HORRIBLY ENGINEERED SUITE

1. Very narrow livingroom with a very small walkway to get out on deck and the table is in the way.

2. The couch is a sofa bed and the springs were all popping up. Yes, the ship was almost new.

3. HUGE bedroom. This turned out to be good. I had them put two long tables against the wall and I put my open suitcases on them. Saved on a lot of unpacking.

4. Shower in master bath is a disaster. The knobs are against the back wall, so you have to walk through the water coming down to adjust the water temperature. By contrast. the shower in the second bath was designed right.

Have a good time though.

I' m not sure if the aft Grand Suite is the same as the forward Grand Suite but we did not find it that bad. We actually loved the master bathroom and shower - our favorite on any ship (the shower does have a learning curve but one you figure it out it's great). Agree that the living room is narrow but that was fine but not conducive to having more than one or two guests. There is one chair in the living room that is not usable. Loved the bedroom, closet and balcony.

You need to be careful of booking Grand Suites because some of them were formally Explorer suites and the location of them if a concern. Pay close attention to the square footage of the Grand and Explorer Suites as they vary greatly. We did book a Grand Suite (formerly an Explorer Suite for a cruise in 2019 after getting reassurances that we would not hear noise from the "bridge above".

I agree with Travelcat2 about the wonderful shower in the master bathroom....it's the best I've experienced on land or sea. The bathroom itself is a dream. Because the second bathroom in the suite is such a full bathroom (albeit considerably smaller), my husband took that one and we really enjoyed each having our own! The forward Grand (formerly Explorer) Suite worked very well for us. Yes, the bedroom is not especially large, but it was large enough, beautifully furnished and extremely comfortable. We wouldn't hesitate to book that suite again. Although the aft Grand Suites have much larger and more useable balconies, my husband likes to look forward so that's why we choose the forward cabins.