Football Bowl Game Coverage--help!!

MomC

Loyal sports fans here. Those of you who travel with Regent on a regular basis at holiday time, does Regent carry the major college football bowl games???? We were in Antarctica two years ago on Seabourn and got the games, but I was told by an agent at Regent that they don't carry ESPN, CBS or Fox--thus, doubtful that they will carry games.

We are only going to the Panama Canal and we can't watch the games??? Seems like a high end cruise line should carry these.

Say it isn't so??????

The television selection is very limited - the only "live" USA stations are MSNBC and FOX news. They also carry BBC and Skynews and ON RARE OCCASIONS, Skynews sports will carry an American game, but mostly if it involves an American team playing in the UK, such as the NFL playing in London this past season.

So sorry to say - it is so. I know that on our recent cruise when we had an overnight in Malta, some serious football fans found a pub that showed American football on live feed and they were beyond happy.

gnomie :)

Several years ago my wife and I booked a January cruise on Navigator then my favorite college team won their way into the national championship game. I was in a panic so I called Regent and they said that they would have the national championship game on the ship television network. Thank goodness.

Our butler learned of our excitement and interest in the game and which team we were supporting. We went to dinner in CR the night of the broadcast only to return to our suite to find it had been decorated in orange and blue! Thanks goodness we won that year.

Loyal sports fans here. Those of you who travel with Regent on a regular basis at holiday time, does Regent carry the major college football bowl games???? We were in Antarctica two years ago on Seabourn and got the games, but I was told by an agent at Regent that they don't carry ESPN, CBS or Fox--thus, doubtful that they will carry games.

We are only going to the Panama Canal and we can't watch the games??? Seems like a high end cruise line should carry these.

Say it isn't so??????

Strictly curious and don't want to annoy anyone, but if you were told that it is doubtful Regent will carry coverage of the football games you want to watch why did you book/stay booked with them?

We didn't know they weren't carrying the bowl games until I called this week. We will survive without the games, but we do love sports and assumed that a luxury cruise line would provide coverage.

To me, it speaks to customer service. We sure aren't the only sports fans on the ship. I haven't given up on receiving the coverage. I will speak to someone at Regent to see if they can help with this request in the next week--as did Seabourn when we asked the assistant cruise director when we boarded their ship on the Antarctica cruise. They were able to get it for us within a week of boarding.

Whoa, I'm still confused. West Point, GA and rooting for Auburn across the border on AL Thought war was declared at the state line in your area of the country!!

West Point is only about 20 minutes from Auburn. Grew up an Auburn fan and ended up with two AU degrees.

Must agree with Silver Sweethearts. Most people in the world have no clue what "football" is (they assume it is soccer). While I am not a football fan, I am a baseball fan and know that most people wonder how the U.S. can have a "World Series" when most of the world isn't involved. The same holds true for Super Bowl, college "bowl" games, etc. I would not expect Regent or any other luxury line to carry the World Series. Keep in mind that it is extraordinarily expensive to carry these events (it is the television stations that make these events so unreasonably expensive).

Comparing Regent to Seabourn isn't really fair since Carnival (and its affiliates) are one of the largest cruise lines in the world. IMO, people that are really interested in football should not book cruises in late December, January or February. Must respectfully disagree that this speaks to "customer service".

Hopefully there will be a port that will carry these games (or perhaps you can stream it). However, this is one area that I do not hold Regent at fault.

Every cruise line we have been on carries ESPN, so you see some US sports. We were on the Mariner a couple of weeks ago and discovered that the only sports channel they show is SKY Sports from the UK.

When I inquired at the reception desk why no ESPN when so many of the guests were from the US, not the UK, I was told "cost".

SKY Sports is cheap, ESPN is expensive. As always, follow the money.

Agree with TC (hard to believe, given our history) but when Mark Conroy was with RSSC I spoke with him about the SB since the NEP were likely to be playing (and were). He explained to me the cost and the difficulty. As it turned out RSSC arranged a special shore excursion to a bar/restaurant in Darwin,AUS which was well attended.

For those of you more tech savvy than I, would we be able to watch the games on our computers?

I seriously doubt it - I've had difficulty downloading many things on the ship and can't imagine streaming anything. Perhaps someone else has had a different experience (if so, kindly advise which ship).

I tried to watch games on Watch ESPN while in France in October, but all I could get was a message that it wasn't available outside the US. Maybe there is a way to pay to get the games internationally. I have often followed games on ESPN just reading the play by play. Not a great option, but when you're desperate for college football . . . In any event, good luck and enjoy your cruise!