New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I dithered on posting this here or in a new thread and figured if someone else needed the same type of info they might find it here easier.

It's a ways out but when we return to Seattle at 7am how late can we get off? Our son will be picking us up to go to his house where we will park so we are not rushing to catch a plane. Figured we could try to have a leisurely breakfast and let the people who do need to rush to the airport get off and the pick-up area be a little less congested. Also if baggage retrieval is like other cruises we've done it might make finding ours a little easier after the piles thin out. No need to be excessively later of the last people getting off but is 9-10 too late? We'll certainly vacate the cabin by our assigned time so it can be cleaned but will hang out in some public space.

Also what are the breakfast options that day?

I was in the same situation last month. The questionnaire asks about your arrangements when you get back to seattle. I too wanted to get off late but was assigned 8:30. I think they are trying to get everyone off by 9 am. When we got off there were people outside waiting to get into the terminal to get on the next cruise.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Thanks Ruth. Since we are "local" might we be assigned to a later non-flying group? Can that be requested?

You can request to be called in the latest group. Truth be told, if you are assigned to disembark earlier than the latest group, you can just wait until a little later.

Just don't overstay your welcome! Once "final call" is announced, you should head out.

One of the great things about waiting is that you don't have to pick through a lot of luggage. On the other hand, one of the scary things about waiting is that if someone took your luggage by mistake, it's going to be harder to find.

First time cruise next year - Alaska rt from Vancouver...we're on Deck 5 on Nieuw Amsterdam - wondering if it's ok (ie. safe) to leave your balcony door open at night?? We have Explore 4 pkg. and I'm interested in more info on the "specialty glasses". I understand you have to order a drink in them under the $8 but do you specify you want a specialty glass and then just take it?? Are there any ports where you just wander around and don't get excursions? I know we want to do a float plane and a whale watching but other than that don't have any other plans. Any other don't miss excursions? We want to enjoy the ship as well as "must see" excursions. Thanks!!!

First time cruise next year - Alaska rt from Vancouver...we're on Deck 5 on Nieuw Amsterdam - wondering if it's ok (ie. safe) to leave your balcony door open at night?? We have Explore 4 pkg. and I'm interested in more info on the "specialty glasses". I understand you have to order a drink in them under the $8 but do you specify you want a specialty glass and then just take it?? Are there any ports where you just wander around and don't get excursions? I know we want to do a float plane and a whale watching but other than that don't have any other plans. Any other don't miss excursions? We want to enjoy the ship as well as "must see" excursions. Thanks!!!

Please do not leave your balcony door open. You will see a sign by it asking that you keep it closed. It mucks up the A/C and heating onthe ship.

The specialty glasses come automatically with certain drinks (the liquors at night, sail a way special drinks "with souvenir glass"). So, yes if you order it, you just keep the glass and take it back to your cabin.

I'll let the Alaska experts help you with the excursion questions.

First time cruise next year - Alaska rt from Vancouver...we're on Deck 5 on Nieuw Amsterdam - wondering if it's ok (ie. safe) to leave your balcony door open at night??

No, it is NOT "ok" to leave your balcony door open at any time, unless you are passing through it.

The A/C in your cabin is connected to several other cabins either side of you, as well as cabins on the same line up and down. To open your cabin door cuts off A/C to every other cabin on that line---including outside and inside cabins on lower decks.

People in those cabins can suffer if they don't get A/C.

No, it is NOT "ok" to leave your balcony door open at any time, unless you are passing through it.

The A/C in your cabin is connected to several other cabins either side of you, as well as cabins on the same line up and down. To open your cabin door cuts off A/C to every other cabin on that line---including outside and inside cabins on lower decks.

People in those cabins can suffer if they don't get A/C.

Wow, I didn't realise this. Don't ever remember leaving it open, but I am one of those people who like it sub zero, so will be much more cognizant of this in future.

Wow, I didn't realise this. Don't ever remember leaving it open, but I am one of those people who like it sub zero, so will be much more cognizant of this in future.

Leaving the door open will make your cabin warmer, not cooler. Have your Travel Agent request a fan for your cabin.

If you're stopping in Skagway (or Haines) you'll want to do the White Pass RR tour.

We did an Alaskan land cruise tour Aug 2015. If you are looking for a great whale trip, we did one with Harv and Marv in Juneau. We saw Orcas, Humpbacks and sea lions. It was fabulous. We took their option of dropping you off at Mendenhall glacier afterwards to tour on our own and took the 10 dollar bus back.

Haines was walkable not much there. Ketchikan was walked around as well.

I can't recommend the Deadliest Catch tour enough!!! One of the best we've ever taken! In Ketchikan.

We also did the Deadliest Catch tour. It was outstanding. The only drawback was that it lasted so long and there was no time to see the town. I ran into town and found the one thing I wanted to find...a store that sold canned smoked salmon. Bought what I came for and ran back to the ship. If I had it to do over again, I thinkI would have forgone an excursion and just wandered the town.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We really wanted to do the Island Wings float plane in Ketchikan...it's to be our one splurge!! Has anyone else taken this? It's pricy ($240 each) but I think it will be one of those great memories from our trip.

I've done the equivalent HAL excursion, and it's a cherished memory. Fortunately, it was a pretty day, which helped a lot. The stop on the water was about as quiet and peaceful as you can imagine.

I've also done the catamaran tour out there. Seeing it from sea level is a thrill. Much better, even, than scenery from a low deck on the ship.

We really wanted to do the Island Wings float plane in Ketchikan...it's to be our one splurge!! Has anyone else taken this? It's pricy ($240 each) but I think it will be one of those great memories from our trip.

Did the trip and really enjoyed it, but our best float plane ride was the Taku Lodge salmon bake out of Juneau - great flying over the glacier and the river, and fabulous food.

Did the trip and really enjoyed it, but our best float plane ride was the Taku Lodge salmon bake out of Juneau - great flying over the glacier and the river, and fabulous food.

Don't forget the bear sitting in the tree over the grill, patiently waiting his turn, too. :D

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Misty Fjords float plane tour by Seawind Aviation four years ago and LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it!!! One of the most amazing tours we've ever done anywhere. Don't miss doing it - it's worth every cent.

I can't find this info anywhere. Does HAL only announce them after we start the cruise? I was planning to reserve one of the specialty restaurants in advance of the cruise, but I recall reading somewhere that the meal in the main dining room is fancier on gala nights, so perhaps I should avoid a specialty restaurant on those nights. On our cruise (Mediterranean Tapestry, 12 nights) there is only one at sea day. It seems likely to me that they would tend to make that a gala night as people would have more time to get dressed up on such a day.

I can't find this info anywhere. Does HAL only announce them after we start the cruise? I was planning to reserve one of the specialty restaurants in advance of the cruise, but I recall reading somewhere that the meal in the main dining room is fancier on gala nights, so perhaps I should avoid a specialty restaurant on those nights. On our cruise (Mediterranean Tapestry, 12 nights) there is only one at sea day. It seems likely to me that they would tend to make that a gala night as people would have more time to get dressed up on such a day.

Your express docs should say how many Gala nights there are on your cruise.

The dates are only known once you are on board. However, usually the first night (after embarkation) is a Gala night and a sea day has a good chance of being a Gala night. Gala night is never the last night of the cruise (day before disembarkation).

You are correct that your sea day will most likely be a Gala night.

Hope this helps :)

new to HAL we have a cruise for may 2017 ,one of our perks was a beverage card. Here is the question, can you have the card turn into OBC?? The reason I only drink water or Crystal light, I ask my TA about it she said it was up to HAL lines. It's a 7 day cruise with a limit of 15 drinks per up to 8 dollars each,