Booking on board - double the OBC, right?

StLouisCruisers

We booked a 33 day HAL cruise while on board the Westerdam this past spring. The Future Cruise Consultant gave us twice the OBC you normally get with FCD's because we booked on board. At least, that's our understanding.

Today we decided to change cabin categories when we noticed a less than desirable location issue (under the Promenade deck). When we called HAL to change our cabin location and category, we were told by the CS rep AND his supervisor that we would lose half our on board credit because it was booked under a promo (View and Veranda) that was in effect when we booked on board. We don't know anything about the View and Verandah sale. All we know is the Future Cruise Consultant said we'd receive $200 per cabin for the FCD's and it would be doubled because we booked on board.

Is it your understanding on board reservations receive twice the usual OBC? That's what we have heard and were told on board. We plan to escalate this inquiry tomorrow with HAL since we just lost half our on board credit since we were told this "promo" had ended.

And does anyone have an email address we should use to inquire about this? Or is a phone call better?

When you call HAL back ask them to give you the return guest discount (ZPM Code) that is offered when you book a cruise within a certain amount of days after you have taken a cruise. This should be the same amount you received when booking on-board. Do a search on this board for ZPM and you will see a number of threads about it.

We booked a 33 day HAL cruise while on board the Westerdam this past spring. The Future Cruise Consultant gave us twice the OBC you normally get with FCD's because we booked on board. At least, that's our understanding.

Today we decided to change cabin categories when we noticed a less than desirable location issue (under the Promenade deck). When we called HAL to change our cabin location and category, we were told by the CS rep AND his supervisor that we would lose half our on board credit because it was booked under a promo (View and Veranda) that was in effect when we booked on board. We don't know anything about the View and Verandah sale. All we know is the Future Cruise Consultant said we'd receive $200 per cabin for the FCD's and it would be doubled because we booked on board.

Is it your understanding on board reservations receive twice the usual OBC? That's what we have heard and were told on board. We plan to escalate this inquiry tomorrow with HAL since we just lost half our on board credit since we were told this "promo" had ended.

And does anyone have an email address we should use to inquire about this? Or is a phone call better?

Yes - there was a promotion going on this spring - we got is on our booking.

The ZPM promotion (welcome back) does the same thing but can't be combined with the promo that was being offered this spring (my TA tried).

I would ask them to use the ZPM Welcome Back and see what they say.

Wouldn't ZPM have a time limit on it? We are 5 months past the booking time.

Anyway, my friend Google found the answer for me. Yes, you get double the OBC when booking on the ship with a Future Cruise Consultant.

From cruisereviews.com:

March 9, 2016 — Guests who make a new booking with a future cruise consultant while on board a Holland America Line ship will now earn double the onboard spending credit up to $400 per person. Travel professionals continue to earn full commission and receive full revenue credit for all bookings made during a cruise.

“New bookings made on our ships with a future cruise consultant are very important to Holland America Line and should be a goal for all our travel professionals,” said Eva Jenner, Holland America Line’s vice president of North America sales. “When a guest books on board it’s like an annuity for their travel professional.”

“A booking automatically applies to the travel professional of record,” Jenner added. “This cruise deposit also generates a booking confirmation notice to them so they are aware of the new booking even before the guests return home.”

Onboard spending credits also can be earned by purchasing a Future Cruise Deposit from the sales consultant during a cruise that allows guests to decide on an itinerary at a later date. However, Future Cruise Deposits are not eligible for the double spending credit. Travel professionals are also sent a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) confirmation when a Future Cruise Deposit is purchased.

So file that information away if any of you are planning on booking soon, and have a cruise coming up.

Thanks to both of you for your answers.

I believe you have up to 6 months to use the ZPM promotion code. It never hurts to request

The last ZPM promo I got an email for and used was only good for 2 months. This was 15 May 2016 and was good until 14 July 2016.

Edited by 0bnxshs

I asked about the double OBC. My PCC told me that the on-board consultants were giving you the ZPM credit when you booked on board. Makes sense. Why would anyone book on board and receive half the OBC they could get if they bought a FCC and then waited for the ZPM email. Automatically giving them the ZPM levels the playing field.

I asked about the double OBC. My PCC told me that the on-board consultants were giving you the ZPM credit when you booked on board. Makes sense. Why would anyone book on board and receive half the OBC they could get if they bought a FCC and then waited for the ZPM email. Automatically giving them the ZPM levels the playing field.

Yes, I got the same info from the FCC onboard my last cruise in May/16.