Embarcation Vancouver delays

gourmetjan

Our HAL cruise on Aug 7 had the same info . We arrived at 9:30am and were boarding at 11AM . We waited about 30 minutes (10:30 to 11:00) to start boarding. People who arrived after 12:00 had a long wait to board. We had three ships in port at the same time. With Global Entry or Nexus boarding went faster . Had no wait in security . The longest wait was check-in and waiting to board . CBP was fairly quick unless you had to talk with an CBP agent .

Edited by Kamloops50

To take advantage of the Global Entry benefit in Vancouver, do we need to bring our actual Global Entry cards or do we need to provide our known traveler ID # in advance to HAL like we would with an airline? We board Sept 4!

Youi'll need to bring your card . The Canadian Nexus is actually linked to our passports . The nexus is only required at the airport or land crossings.

The Port of Vancouver is showing only two ships Sunday.

http://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Cruise-Schedule-2016-April-27-F.pdf

Last year there were three ships at Canada Place on the day we departed. The day before I had a chat with a port authority employee who recommended we arrive at 10:00 and start the procedures. We did so and were processed by security and by the US authorities fairly quickly, then we waited comfortably until HAL check-in opened shortly before 11:00. After a short wait we boarded at 11:30.

The Port of Vancouver is showing only two ships Sunday.

http://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Cruise-Schedule-2016-April-27-F.pdf

Last year there were three ships at Canada Place on the day we departed. The day before I had a chat with a port authority employee who recommended we arrive at 10:00 and start the procedures. We did so and were processed by security and by the US authorities fairly quickly, then we waited comfortably until HAL check-in opened shortly before 11:00. After a short wait we boarded at 11:30.

This year HAL does check in before you do security and US customs.

This year HAL does check in before you do security and US customs.

That is interesting! Having sailed out of Canada Place on HAL many times, I can't quite picture how the set would now work.

Could you give me an idea of how the physical set-up is? Obviously the check-in is not last, out by the walk way to the ship.

Thanks for the heads-up!

That is interesting! Having sailed out of Canada Place on HAL many times, I can't quite picture how the set would now work.

Could you give me an idea of how the physical set-up is? Obviously the check-in is not last, out by the walk way to the ship.

Thanks for the heads-up!

The check-ins have been moved to the second floor . Access is via elevator or escalator. After check-in you proceed to security that hasn't moved and then directly to US CBP.

The check-ins have been moved to the second floor . Access is via elevator or escalator. After check-in you proceed to security that hasn't moved and then directly to US CBP.

Thanks!

If walking in off the street, do you still go down the ramp to where the tour buses line up? Not sure where the elevators/escalators would be found down there.

Thanks!

If walking in off the street, do you still go down the ramp to where the tour buses line up? Not sure where the elevators/escalators would be found down there.

You still go down the ramp to drop off luggage . I ca;; that the first floor . Security and US Customs on this floor . On checkin HAL gives each person a large colored card they give to security .

Thanks!

You can go in through the street level entry to where elevators/escalators to the Pan Pacific are, and take the cruise ship terminal elevator, to your right before the washrooms. That will take you right down to where the buses line up and save you having to use the ramp and haul your luggage around to the drop-off area.

This is true at just about any port. Come early or come late.

"Nooners" will stand in the longest lines.

igraf

Our HAL cruise on Aug 7 had the same info . We arrived at 9:30am and were boarding at 11AM . We waited about 30 minutes (10:30 to 11:00) to start boarding. People who arrived after 12:00 had a long wait to board. We had three ships in port at the same time. With Global Entry or Nexus boarding went faster . Had no wait in security . The longest wait was check-in and waiting to board . CBP was fairly quick unless you had to talk with an CBP agent .

Thanks!

Where are the escalators on that level? I can't remember seeing them.

I am having a lot of difficulty visualizing this. It sure doesn't sound like an improvement!

Where are the escalators on that level? I can't remember seeing them.

I am having a lot of difficulty visualizing this. It sure doesn't sound like an improvement!

There are no escalators from the street level down to the cruise terminal level - only elevators. On the street level you will see escalators near the elevators, but they only go up to the hotel.

There are no escalators from the street level down to the cruise terminal level - only elevators. On the street level you will see escalators near the elevators, but they only go up to the hotel.

Thank you. I got "escalators" from kamloops50's post. Then I really don't see this as an improvement :eek:

So where is the check-in? Again referring to kamloops 50's post, is this how it goes?

tour bus level to drop off checked bags

elevator to 2nd floor

check-in on 2nd floor

then back down to the tour bus level to do the security and border protection stuff

Am I envisioning this correctly? :eek: I hope I'm just confused :)

You still go down the ramp to drop off luggage . I ca;; that the first floor . Security and US Customs on this floor . On checkin HAL gives each person a large colored card they give to security .

Got it, thanks very much.

I am wondering the whys and wherefores of this change.

You can go in through the street level entry to where elevators/escalators to the Pan Pacific are, and take the cruise ship terminal elevator, to your right before the washrooms. That will take you right down to where the buses line up and save you having to use the ramp and haul your luggage around to the drop-off area.

Yes, did that once, found it easier and faster to go down the ramp. Thanks for the reminder, though. Who knows what will work better now.

Still can't visualize where you go up the elevator/escalator to "check-in" after dropping off your luggage (which is in the same place as before -- past the buses???).

Edited by SilvertoGold

If San Diego is the problem, then why has the "Disney Wonder" (2,600 cap) scheduled 15 cruises from that pier in 2017?

Staggered check in times are helping to avoid long lines and frustrated passengers.

Here is the latest from Carnival.....soon to be implemented by HAL..... I hope....as Disney and RCCL have done successfully here.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3180

David

Edited by DAllenTCY