Koningsdam 14 Days: A Family Perspective

FearTheFrog

Interesting that you mentioned band-aids though. I did need a band-aid one evening and went to the onboard shop. They didn't have any. I asked if there was anywhere else to get one, such as the infirmary, and she told me no.

But now I know!

You can also get Band Aids at the Front Desk---which is always open (unlike the Infirmary).

I'm a regular there asking for them. You can also get packets of Bacitracin when you're picking up the bandage.

You can also get Band Aids at the Front Desk---which is always open (unlike the Infirmary).

I'm a regular there asking for them. You can also get packets of Bacitracin when you're picking up the bandage.

I learn so much from this board! Thank you!

I also asked about the art tour and/or information, and they said it was in the process of being compiled and wasn't available. Perhaps in a few weeks/months they'll have it all ready. I was just curious about the artists of some of the pieces. Oh well, we'll have to go back on Koningsdam again to get that info! :)

Has HAL stopped with their free small pkgs of sea calm (meclizine), headache pill and band aids? They usually are right near the door of the infirmary?

They're still there; I just saw them a few weeks ago on our Koningsdam cruise. And I got a band aid and some antibiotic ointment from the front desk after I scraped my knee while in port (though come to think of it that was on the Nieuw Amsterdam). The bowls of meclizine and band aids were definitely there on the Koningsdam, though.

I agree with essentially everything in this review. We have also done mostly Disney cruises, and the Koningsdam was, to our way of thinking, better in multiple areas. I'd only say for us, the HAL food was better than Disney, but that's a highly subjective thing. Disney does have certain dishes that we love (the Black Truffle Pasta Pursettes, for example) and the food on Disney is without a doubt very good, but overall we would give the food on Koningsdam (and Nieuw Amsterdam) a slightly better score.

For us, where Disney excels is entertainment, pretty much across the board. The selection of movies on the in-room system is generally better (though skewed toward Disney films, naturally), the stage shows are better (with the caveat that you need to like Disney), and there are more activities, especially activities designed for the whole family.

Disney also has a livelier cruise. The servers will joke with you, do tricks for your kids. The entertainment staff is much higher energy. They set off fireworks on their Bahamas and Caribbean itineraries. The deck parties really get the whole deck bouncing. Of course, it doesn't take much to get small kids bouncing. :)

In prepping for our cruise I read as much as I could about HAL and the Koningsdam. Through this research I learned that HAL was hoping to allure families to the line through this ship. No doubt this was a difficult undertaking, as any time a business wants to reach a new demographic it must remain mindful of the current customer base while providing a service that intrigues a different customer base.

Overall impression:

We loved this cruise! Even after 2 weeks on the boat we could have easily stayed and done a few more weeks! All 3 generations feel that the vacation was perfectly designed just for them. Our fellow passengers were a delightful mix of all ages and included plenty of other kids.

We have been home for 4 days and both kids continually ask when we can cruise again. (we travel a lot, so for them to hone in on one particular type of vacation says something). There was enough to keep a family entertained but without the high overly stimulating environment of Disney or some of the other lines. For us it was the perfect balance of things to do but also being able to relax and enjoy some quiet. We would definitely sail Koningsdam again and will be looking at itineraries for the sister ship coming in 2018.

We were also on the second leg of this sailing and agree with your impressions. Thanks for sharing!:)

Thank you for the comprehensive review. How did the bathroom logistics work out? As a senior couple that might be an issue if sharing a cabin, more for availability than modesty. Did you or your Mom use locker room or spa? Glad to hear all three generations enjoyed the cruise.

Thank you for the comprehensive review. How did the bathroom logistics work out? As a senior couple that might be an issue if sharing a cabin, more for availability than modesty. Did you or your Mom use locker room or spa? Glad to hear all three generations enjoyed the cruise.

Sorry, I am not sure I understand your bathroom question. We had 5 people (my family of four, plus my mom) total in 2 connecting rooms. The adults each showered in their own bathroom and the two kids were sent to whichever bathroom was empty. The size of the bathrooms are typical for a cruise line. Disney, of course, has their special designed bathrooms where the shower and toilet are in separate areas. Brilliant. However, we never had any issues with managing time in the bathrooms.

Spa: yes, mom and I used it quite a bit- massages, hair, and nails. I pre-booked the massage and nail appointments. We had to book the hair appointments on the boat. We never had trouble getting an appointment, however, I did book the second week's appointments during the first week. We had good service in the spa, though as with anywhere some of the employees were better than others both in skill and personality.

My husband and I also used the fitness room quite a bit. There were a decent number of people in there throughout the cruise but it was never overcrowded. I did not use the thermal suite (confession: I never really "got" it or knew how/what to do. Was busy enough with other stuff that I didn't bother looking into it too much). The locker rooms were nice. The waiting room for massage was nice too- windows, refreshments, comfy chairs to wait. I often came early just to relax there.

We did not use their group fitness classes, nor partake in any of their sales attempts (lose weight/get a flatter belly, foot exam, etc) that were overly marketed.

Edited by FearTheFrog

Thank you for your response, my spa question was somewhat motivated by another thread, interlopers in pool-thermal suite areas, not an issue for you. Glad to hear you enjoyed your treatments.

At our age, trying to share a bathroom would be a challenge.

What a great, in-depth review! You really put effort and time into this, thanks for sharing.

It was great to meet you, FearTheFrog, and your mom at lunch and then chat again during the cruise.

You sure had the best table in the dining room! We always seemed to get seated next to a big pole. Ha!

It really was a wonderful itinerary, and overall, we really loved the ship. I would not hesitate to book another cruise on ms Koningsdam.

After we disembarked in Amsterdam, we took the train to Brugge for a few days. Loved it! If you haven't been, it is a must see!

From Brugge, we took the inter-city train to Brussels, and then took the Eurostar to London for a few days. Fantastic trip.

Maybe someday our travel paths will cross again. I am already planning our next adventure. That is half the fun!

Blessings to you!

Bobbie

What a great, in-depth review! You really put effort and time into this, thanks for sharing.

It was great to meet you, FearTheFrog, and your mom at lunch and then chat again during the cruise.

You sure had the best table in the dining room! We always seemed to get seated next to a big pole. Ha!

It really was a wonderful itinerary, and overall, we really loved the ship. I would not hesitate to book another cruise on ms Koningsdam.

After we disembarked in Amsterdam, we took the train to Brugge for a few days. Loved it! If you haven't been, it is a must see!

From Brugge, we took the inter-city train to Brussels, and then took the Eurostar to London for a few days. Fantastic trip.

Maybe someday our travel paths will cross again. I am already planning our next adventure. That is half the fun!

Blessings to you!

Bobbie

Oh I certainly hope we cross paths again! We enjoyed meeting you and your husband.

So glad that you enjoyed Brugges. We had planned to do Brugges and Brussels prior to the cruise but opted to spend more time in the Netherlands instead after the terror attacks. While I am disappointed to have not seen Belgium we had more than a wonderful time in Holland so all is not lost. Another time, another trip for Belgium I suppose.

Crew:

I was surprised how many crew members learned our names, especially given the size of the ship. Admittedly, we do have a VERY easy last name for them to remember, but they were also good with our first names too. There were several crew members who learned my daughter's name because they missed their little girls. I expected good service, but never in a million years would I have expected the guy at the omelet station to call us by name each morning.]

Any chance your omelet maker was Neal? I know he's on the ship and am looking forward to seeing him again. It is so nice to get that warm greeting each morning.

Edited by TourGypsy

<a href=https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7571/28683708824_cdb30ee6dc_z.jpg' alt='28683708824_cdb30ee6dc_z.jpg'>IMG_4202 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr[/img]

This photo was taken August 13, 2016 on ms Koningsdam

Omelette Station guys were awesome!

I did not get their names.

The one on the left is the one who knew our names, and particularly made conversation with my daughter each time. Both were great!