"Secret" Aft Decks on Veendam

Cy'all@C

Are there "secret" aft decks on the Veendam?

For our Panama Canal cruise we are on the Verandah deck in an inside cabin as far aft as you can go.

Would be nice to pop out there every now and then!

Do they happen to have a chair or two on them?

If anyone has a photo of Veendam's aft, (in particular, the secret deck if there is one) please post.

Thanks!

Trudy

I just posted an answer in the other thread where you asked this.

Thanks Ruth...I saw that after I made this post. I thought I'd get more exposure with a new thread and question in the title. Am searching for pics now! :)

Trudy

Thanks Ruth...I saw that after I made this post. I thought I'd get more exposure with a new thread and question in the title. Am searching for pics now! :)

Trudy

Google Veendam aft. There are a ton of pictures. Don't know about a secret deck

Trudy

For those of us who have no idea where the other thread is, would you please let us know so we can see the answer too? :o

For our Panama Canal cruise we are on the Verandah deck in an inside cabin as far aft as you can go.

If anyone has a photo of Veendam's aft' date=' (in particular, the secret deck if there is one) please post.

Thanks!

Trudy[/quote']

Just enjoyed 14 days (Canada/New England) in Veendam 224 (sounds like the same room). The closest to a "deck" are the two stairwells at the stern on each side. They have walk spaces with viewing rails looking to the sides but are just steel and serve as evacuation paths to reach the lifeboats. Starboard goes up to Lido deck and the Retreat and also down to Lower Promenade. Port side stairwell does not reach Lido.

Because they are for emergency use, I doubt if any chairs will be allowed.

I am fairly sure that the Lido deck is not a "secret". :) ;)

Douglas

For those of us who have no idea where the other thread is, would you please let us know so we can see the answer too? :o

The post you quoted is from 2007. Two years later the Veendam aft was reconstructed to remove the pool from Navigation Deck, add cabins there, and create a new aft area on Lido Deck. That has since been changed again.

You can Google for sites that show pictures and give Facts about HAL ships. There might be more updated information about the Veendam there.

Personally, I'm fond of sitting out on Lower Promenade Deck.

If we chat about this and post pictures then it won't be a secret!! OK OK

I believe we are talking about the area on the aft of the main deck. I have heard there have been deck chairs there in the past.

I would love to see pictures.

Smooth sailing

If anyone has a photo of Veendam's aft' date=' (in particular, the secret deck if there is one) please post.

Thanks!

Trudy[/quote']

Hey Trudy, unlike her only remaining sister, Maasdam who still has a "semi-secluded" Deck 9 aft section (with even some loungers positioned there), accessible only via the port and starboard interior corridors, Veendam no longer has that same deck available (due to the April 2009 addition of eight aft facing balcony cabins on that deck which btw, did not improve her overall appearance). So there went her "secret aft deck" ;)

Enjoy your Veendam cruise! :)

Hey Trudy, unlike her only remaining sister, Maasdam who still has a "semi-secluded" Deck 9 aft section (with even some loungers positioned there), accessible only via the port and starboard interior corridors, Veendam no longer has that same deck available (due to the April 2009 addition of eight aft facing balcony cabins on that deck which btw, did not improve her overall appearance). So there went her "secret aft deck" ;)

Would certainly qualify for a "Failed Butt Lift" reality show :D

Just enjoyed 14 days (Canada/New England) in Veendam 224 (sounds like the same room). The closest to a "deck" are the two stairwells at the stern on each side. They have walk spaces with viewing rails looking to the sides but are just steel and serve as evacuation paths to reach the lifeboats. Starboard goes up to Lido deck and the Retreat and also down to Lower Promenade. Port side stairwell does not reach Lido.

Douglas

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

Cruise4food...we have Cabin 222...so technically second to last aft inside. Did you do OK in the inside for 14 nights? Anything unexpected we should prepare ourselves for? I like the idea of quick access to Lido or Lower Promenade to watch sail away. Will miss having a balcony cabin but just was not worth double the cost, IMHO. :)

Trudy

Click on Cy'all@C's avatar, then on Find All Posts By Cy'all@C. Scan the list and you'll quickly find the other thread.

Douglas

That sounds like Staircase Oscar. Found "him" on my last cruise and had wished I had found him for Antarctica. Wasn't sure it was for pax use at that time.

That sounds like Staircase Oscar. Found "him" on my last cruise and had wished I had found him for Antarctica. Wasn't sure it was for pax use at that time.

"Oscar", located on both port and starboard sides aft and providing emergency egress, runs between LP Deck (Deck 6) and Navigation Deck (Deck 10) and is always open. There is a similar stairwell, again both sides, called "Alpha" forward

"Oscar", located on both port and starboard sides aft and providing emergency egress, runs between LP Deck (Deck 6) and Navigation Deck (Deck 10) and is always open. There is a similar stairwell, again both sides, called "Alpha" forward

I don't recall any windows in Alpha. (Just the passage to the wonderful bow:))

Thanks for the info on Staircase Oscar and Alpha!

And Copper for pointing out that Maasdam STILL has her "secret aft deck"!

But lets not tell too many people. :D

Thanks to all who gave input. Much appreciated!

Trudy

PS: to Cruise_More_Often (yeah, you're right!), I originally posted this question in the STICKY section under "An Intro to the Ships and Class of the HAL Fleet".

Too bad. We used to really enjoy those decks on the aft. I guess there's more revenue generated from aft balcony cabins.

Thanks for the info on Staircase Oscar and Alpha!

And Copper for pointing out that Maasdam STILL has her "secret aft deck"!

But lets not tell too many people. :D

Thanks to all who gave input. Much appreciated!

Trudy

PS: to Cruise_More_Often (yeah' date=' you're right!), I originally posted this question in the STICKY section under "An Intro to the Ships and Class of the HAL Fleet".[/quote']It sounded like a question many people would be interested in, and it looks like they are. :D

We've been on the Maasdam, in the far-aft cabin adjacent to the "secret aft deck," and we'll be in an aft cabin on the Veendam next spring. I love reading all I can find about the Veendam, so I appreciate your question and all the helpful and interesting responses.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

Cruise4food...we have Cabin 222...so technically second to last aft inside. Did you do OK in the inside for 14 nights? Anything unexpected we should prepare ourselves for? I like the idea of quick access to Lido or Lower Promenade to watch sail away. Will miss having a balcony cabin but just was not worth double the cost' date=' IMHO. :)

Trudy[/quote']

Insides are fine for me. When in the room, I either update my smartphone schedule against "On Location" or just need a break. The stern location is very handy for main dining room, lido outdoor and explorations cafe. Outside of meal time, Crow's Nest is my fav, so stern is not handy for that.

Unexpected? okay, the heavy steel door to "Oscar" stairway will close shut forcefully from air pressure differences. I used it a lot to reach outdoor Lido, but handle it carefully.

Douglas

Insides are fine for me. When in the room, I either update my smartphone schedule against "On Location" or just need a break. The stern location is very handy for main dining room, lido outdoor and explorations cafe. Outside of meal time, Crow's Nest is my fav, so stern is not handy for that.

Unexpected? okay, the heavy steel door to "Oscar" stairway will close shut forcefully from air pressure differences. I used it a lot to reach outdoor Lido, but handle it carefully.

Douglas

I agree that the steel door is very heavy. I'm a senior female. I was curious what was out that door and went out. There are things you can trip on the deck and the door was dangerous for me with the wind.