HAL is Number #1 in Mailings - So So Much Snail Mail

richstowe

At least 2 often 3 times a month I get snail mail from HAL . After opening a bunch I realized there was nothing to be learned, or saved by reading the contents enclosed . It's not a big deal to toss unwanted mail but seriously , what is the point ? They never offer any savings .

I get mail from most of the cruise lines but HAL leads the pack by a significant margin , followed by Princess .

Amusingly the Holland mail is addressed to me and my DD or occasionally to my DW and DS . This is no doubt because over 5 years ago we booked a Carnival cruise where we booked like this because the kids were in their late teens . I didn't know if this would be an issue so we booked like this . Once onboard we fixed it up . Didn't know there would be long term ramifications . :D

So no, this is not a big deal . I tried get off the mailing list once but this wasn't done. Again it is not a problem , I do however wonder how much HAL is wasting on mailings . Got to believe there are better ways to spend money .

So is it just me or is HAL the #1 leader in junk mail ?

Edited by richstowe

After we cancelled 2 cruises when we got home from a not-so-good cruise this past we spring, we haven't received either snail mail or e-mail from in many, many years.

Now we occasionally get a piece of snail mail.

We haven't sailed on Princess in many years and right before Christmas I started getting 1 e-mail a day from them.

Once in a while I get an e-mail from Costa -- have never sailed on them.

We still get snail mail from Cunard.

For years (decades?) I always had at least one, usually more, and as many as 5 HAL cruises booked at a time. No matter how much I registered, they would not send me any snail or e-mail suggesting more cruises.

Apparently they couldn't see that I was a willing passenger, and likely to book another cruise.

Recently I canceled two cruises, and have none booked. :( Almost immediately I started getting e-mails, almost daily, and close to weekly snail mail. Again, apparently HAL can't see that there's a reason I don't have anything booked. So now they try to get me back on board? :rolleyes:

It's not that HAL sends out too much junk mail. It's that they send the mail inappropriately.

Try Oceania. Two or 3 a week at least. And we have never even sailed on them.

DON

Don is right about Oceania. I get 3 a week ever week of the year. We never sailed either, booked a cruise but then Karen's got a new job and didn't have the PTO for the cruise and cancelled.

If we had cruised with them I'd wager we'd have house servants or something from Oceania!! :D

At least 2 often 3 times a month I get snail mail from HAL . After opening a bunch I realized there was nothing to be learned, or saved by reading the contents enclosed . It's not a big deal to toss unwanted mail but seriously , what is the point ? They never offer any savings .

I get mail from most of the cruise lines but HAL leads the pack by a significant margin , followed by Princess .

Amusingly the Holland mail is addressed to me and my DD or occasionally to my DW and DS . This is no doubt because over 5 years ago we booked a Carnival cruise where we booked like this because the kids were in their late teens . I didn't know if this would be an issue so we booked like this . Once onboard we fixed it up . Didn't know there would be long term ramifications . :D

So no, this is not a big deal . I tried get off the mailing list once but this wasn't done. Again it is not a problem , I do however wonder how much HAL is wasting on mailings . Got to believe there are better ways to spend money .

Obviously Oceania doesn't have your address.[emoji15] I get between 2-5 pieces a WEEK from them.[emoji36] It's beyond annoying, and in my opinion a huge waste of their resources and my time. I figured out how to get off their e-mail list (those were DAILY![emoji12]), but unfortunately the snail mail still arrives with great regularity.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you think you get a lot of mail from HAL, get on Oceania's mailing list. I get 3 -4 pieces of mail from them a week and have never been on one of their cruises.

Ditto!

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you think you get a lot of mail from HAL, get on Oceania's mailing list. I get 3 -4 pieces of mail from them a week and have never been on one of their cruises.

I second that. Oceania mails us on an almost weekly basis. They're like a teenager in love. (In days of yore, before texting.)

I have never gotten anything from Oceania, but Princess is the one that bombards us, at least 3 or 4 a week. And I don't even like Princess! We've sailed with them a few times, but I never go to their website to browse or anything. Yet in addition to the hard copy mail from them every other day, I get emails from them almost daily. I get a few things from HAL, but nothing like Princess. Emails from Celebrity and Royal Caribbean daily, but rarely ever anything in the mail.

The only thing I get from HAL is email confirmations and my Mariner magazine. Nothing else. I do have upcoming cruises and received an upsell offer twice in the past - that's it.

RCCL at least 3 emails a week (I have been on them once) same with Cunard plus a brochure through the mail about once a month.

I have visited the Princess website - never a thing from them.

Riverboats I have been on - nothing from them; no brochures - no emails with offers/itineraries.

Must be I'm just below their radar for offering cruises; not like you all. :)

Edited by Happily@Sea

Call and request a "marketing hold" on your Mariner account. The mailings should stop.

Edited by blizzardboy

Try Oceania. Two or 3 a week at least. And we have never even sailed on them.

DON

Same here. Sometimes two on the same day!

It's been going on now for close to 3 years and we have never booked a cruise with them; have to give them points for persevering ;)

Our experience with HAL, prior to moving, was that we often got there pieces for every mailing. One addressed to me, one addressed to DW, and oddly enough one addressed jointly to DW and the former owner of our house. For all we know it could be arriving...pity the new owners.

Junk mail in our house goes from the mail lot directly into the recycly bin. We don't bother opening it.

Edited by iancal

Oceania leads the way with 3-5 pieces of mail a week. There has even been multiple pieces on the same day! Viking is a close second split between ocean and river cruises. RCCL and Princess are 1-2 per month. I rarely get HAL brochures for some reason!

Emails I usually just ignore.

Oceania leads the way with 3-5 pieces of mail a week. There has even been multiple pieces on the same day! Viking is a close second split between ocean and river cruises. RCCL and Princess are 1-2 per month. I rarely get HAL brochures for some reason!

Emails I usually just ignore.

HAL's system will often put a "marketing hold" on your Mariner account if you have a cruise or two booked. I had such a hold on our account and had it removed as my bride enjoys looking through the brochures. As a kept man (retired and she still works), I have the time to explore all the promos and itineraries on-line, with the exception of special sales offered to Mariners only that you wouldn't be aware of without the mailings.

Edited by blizzardboy

For years (decades?) I always had at least one, usually more, and as many as 5 HAL cruises booked at a time. No matter how much I registered, they would not send me any snail or e-mail suggesting more cruises.

Apparently they couldn't see that I was a willing passenger, and likely to book another cruise.

Recently I canceled two cruises, and have none booked. :( Almost immediately I started getting e-mails, almost daily, and close to weekly snail mail. Again, apparently HAL can't see that there's a reason I don't have anything booked. So now they try to get me back on board? :rolleyes:

It's not that HAL sends out too much junk mail. It's that they send the mail inappropriately.

I have to agree with Ruth. Now that I have a cruise booked, absolutely no emails are coming from HAL. They stopped as soon as the down payment was received. In addition, the snail mails have dropped to almost nothing. I sure wish they would continue to notify me. There might be a quick cruise I would like to take before the biggie!

And I enjoyed their notifications whenever I received them. Now I must go to their not very friendly website to do some dreaming.

I'll agree with those that have posted that Oceania is the worst! After I sailed with them, vowing I would never make that mistake again, I started receiving sometimes as many as two pieces of expensive snail mails a day---several days a week.

As if that wasn't bad enough, though, I also started getting brochures from them addressed to my husband! He died a whole lot of years before that cruise line ever even existed! :eek:

I have no idea where they even got his name, since I don't have the same last name that he had.

I have to agree with Ruth. Now that I have a cruise booked, absolutely no emails are coming from HAL. They stopped as soon as the down payment was received. In addition, the snail mails have dropped to almost nothing. I sure wish they would continue to notify me. There might be a quick cruise I would like to take before the biggie!

And I enjoyed their notifications whenever I received them. Now I must go to their not very friendly website to do some dreaming.

The mailings stopped because of the "marketing hold" I mentioned in an earlier post. Ask your PCC to check your Mariner account, and I'd bet it's there. I asked my PCC a couple of years ago why I never received mailings. He explained this and checked our account, and sure enough there was a "marketing hold" in place. We had a couple of cruises booked at the time and the system is programmed to put the hold in place. My PCC removed the hold and the mailings started again.

Edited by blizzardboy

Trust me that HAL is not even close to the worst when it comes to snail mail. Once you get on Viking River/Ocean Cruises list...you need a larger mailbox. We are talking several pounds of publications a WEEK.. Viking sends us 3 copies of everything (despite several attempts to get them to stop) and they produce an awful lot of stuff. DW thinks they could cut their cruise prices by at least 20% if they controlled their snail mail costs. Since we have cruised on 14 cruise lines and several river cruise lines, our snail and e-mails from the industry are obscene! E-Mails related to the cruise industry can sometimes exceed 15 a day!

Hank

The mailings stopped because of the "marketing hold" I mentioned in an earlier post. ...the system is programmed to put the hold in place.

I understand that. What I am saying is that it's a stupid policy.

I have had the marketing hold lifted twice. Twice it has been returned to my account just because I had a cruise booked. I should not need to beg HAL to try to sell me a cruise. :rolleyes:

No one should.