O.K. What price for Explore 4 drinks???

ipoder

I have seen so many different answers to this question, including from Holland America. The explanation on the booking info clearly states one's drink must not be more than $8 with the 15% tax included. That would mean that no drink can cost more than $6.90. When reviewing the beverage lists on Roger Jetts page, there isn't much in that price range except non alcoholic drinks, beer, coffee, and water. Looks like one white wine, one red, and one prosecco. Has anyone actual experience using this new Explore 4 promotion?

First, it is a 15% tip. Not a tax.

Second, the price is for the drink only, not including the tip (the tip is written off in the deal). So, for $8, you will find just about everything covered, except for some top shelf drinks/liquors, high end wines and champagnes.

Yes, any drink listed at $8 or less is included. We had 2-3 choices for a red or white that were $8 or less, not all on the same list.

One comment having just come of the K'dam. The $8 wines are very inexpensive wines (at retail). None of the wines we had on our wine lists are what I would consider "high end". If you want good wines, bring your own. We found 1 red we though was drinkable in the MDR and one wine steward in Tamarind was even nice enough to run down to the MDR to get it (twice!) as it was not available in Tamarind. We really didn't like the options that they had in Tamarind and I gave up on $8 wines in Sel de Mer and order (and paid full price) for more expensive options.

On boarding, we were presented with a list that showed an Elite Beverage option at allowed wines up to $15. We were not able to upgrade and were told if we wanted it, we would have to pay the full charge for the package ($55/day IIRC). A real disappointment as it was not possible to get that option when we booked the trip (we could only book with the Explore 4 option and the Signature Beverage package).

Edited by TurtleDriver

We have had the SBP as part of the Explore-4 promotion and also just an outright purchase. When it is given to you as part of Explore-4, the 15% service charge (tip) is included in the cost of the promotion, you never see it. When you purchase it online or onboard, it costs $44.95 per day plus 15% for the tips, or $51.70 per person/per day. Either way, the 15% tip is already paid, and all you have to concern yourself with is the menu price of the beverage. If the beverage is $8 or less, it is included in the package. You can ignore anything to do with the service charge, it's already paid.

You can order doubles, and they charge it as 2 drinks. I have never had a waiter enforce the "5 minute rule" as listed on HAL's website.

There is no separate card for the SBP, it is encoded into your cabin key. When you order a drink, you give your card to the waiter and he returns with your drink and a receipt. You can just toss that receipt, unless you like to keep track of your consumption. Just don't try to use the SBP for anything in your cabin fridge or the water bottles in your cabin. Pick up a few bottles of water before retiring at night at one of the bars. That is included in the SBP, not anything in the mini-bar in your cabin.

I have seen so many different answers to this question, including from Holland America. The explanation on the booking info clearly states one's drink must not be more than $8 with the 15% tax included. That would mean that no drink can cost more than $6.90. When reviewing the beverage lists on Roger Jetts page, there isn't much in that price range except non alcoholic drinks, beer, coffee, and water. Looks like one white wine, one red, and one prosecco. Has anyone actual experience using this new Explore 4 promotion?

A quick search of this forum will show that this question has been asked and answered many, many times. And it's always been answered correctly - Any menu item of $8 or less is included. Anny item. No need to futz about the 15% service charge (it's already covered). Just read the bar menu and stick to drinks listed at $8 or less.

We have had the SBP as part of the Explore-4 promotion and also just an outright purchase. When it is given to you as part of Explore-4, the 15% service charge (tip) is included in the cost of the promotion, you never see it. When you purchase it online or onboard, it costs $44.95 per day plus 15% for the tips, or $51.70 per person/per day. Either way, the 15% tip is already paid, and all you have to concern yourself with is the menu price of the beverage. If the beverage is $8 or less, it is included in the package. You can ignore anything to do with the service charge, it's already paid.

You can order doubles, and they charge it as 2 drinks. I have never had a waiter enforce the "5 minute rule" as listed on HAL's website.

There is no separate card for the SBP, it is encoded into your cabin key. When you order a drink, you give your card to the waiter and he returns with your drink and a receipt. You can just toss that receipt, unless you like to keep track of your consumption. Just don't try to use the SBP for anything in your cabin fridge or the water bottles in your cabin. Pick up a few bottles of water before retiring at night at one of the bars. That is included in the SBP, not anything in the mini-bar in your cabin.

So, even though it clearly states on my booking confirmation, "includes all beverages $8 or lower including service charges" if it's the explore 4 promotion it's no service charge, if I buy the Signature Beverage package I pay a service charge when I buy the package???

So, even though it clearly states on my booking confirmation, "includes all beverages $8 or lower including service charges" if it's the explore 4 promotion it's no service charge, if I buy the Signature Beverage package I pay a service charge when I buy the package???

Look at the drink menu. Is the list price $8 00 or less? Congratulations. You're covered.

If you are buying the package, which we've done, you are pre paying the service charge. If you receive the Signature Beverage Package as a promotion, you are - in essence - pre paying the service charge. In the words of the philosopher Hervé Jean-Pierre Villechaize, "Enjoy the drinks Boss." Also translated as "Ze Plane! Ze Plane! Ze vou plane.."

To put it nicely, HAL needs some qualified proof-readers for their website and published documents, who have a command of the English language. The line "includes all beverages $8 or lower including service charges" should read "includes all beverages $8 or lower". "The service charge has been pre-paid".

When you receive the explore-4 promotion, the SBP is included in your cruise fare, and so is the 15% service charge. There's no free lunch. You will notice that when the Explore-4 promotion drops off of the website, as it will do on Nov 18, 2016, the price of the cruise drops dramatically, in most cases. So, it really doesn't matter if you get the SBP through Explore-4, or if you purchase it separately, either way, you are paying for it, and also pre-paying for the service charge. As others have said, once you have the SBP, forget about the 15% SC, just concentrate on the yummy drinks, under $8, of course !!

I'm certainly not encouraging people to over-imbibe, but with the SBP, and HAL's average drink prices, the break-even point is 6 or 7 drinks. ($8 X 7 = $56) Over that amount, and you are getting free drinks. Under that amount, and you are not getting your money's worth. So, have that extra glass of (house) wine, or pickup a couple of specialty coffees at the Explorer's Lounge.

Edited by TAD2005

When you receive the explore-4 promotion, the SBP is included in your cruise fare, and so is the 15% service charge. There's no free lunch. You will notice that when the Explore-4 promotion drops off of the website, as it will do on Nov 18, 2016, the price of the cruise drops dramatically, in most cases.

But not in all. Both our bookings went up after Explore 4 ended. We would have paid more, lost our Pinnacle Grill dinners, Canelleto dinners, and our $300 per person OBC.

Always do your homework. Sometimes the promotions are great. Sometimes they're not.

A quick search of this forum will show that this question has been asked and answered many, many times. And it's always been answered correctly - Any menu item of $8 or less is included. Anny item. No need to futz about the 15% service charge (it's already covered). Just read the bar menu and stick to drinks listed at $8 or less.

That's what I thought as well. I've never seen a different answer.