Ultimate Balcony Dinner Tipping Question

NYteacher

Does the same waiter bring each course and therefore we can tip at the end? Or is it a new person each course and we tip for each?

I am aware of those who opine that the daily service charge covers all gratuities. We do not share that opinion, I am just looking for practical information from those with experience.

We did the UBD earlier this year on the Star. We had the same waiter and his assistant for the entire dinner which was about two hours. The waiter met with us earlier to go over the menu and to note our substitutions. They were a full bottle of Asti for the half bottle of French champagne, and soups instead of a salad.

There are pictures near the bottom of our Web page:

http://www.websailor.org/gallery/Cruises/Mexican_Riviera_Cruise_2015/?start=601

While not overly generous, we did tip the waiter $20 and his assistant $10.

We did the UBD earlier this year on the Star. We had the same waiter and his assistant for the entire dinner which was about two hours. The waiter met with us earlier to go over the menu and to note our substitutions. They were a full bottle of Asti for the half bottle of French champagne, and soups instead of a salad.

There are pictures near the bottom of our Web page:

http://www.websailor.org/gallery/Cruises/Mexican_Riviera_Cruise_2015/?start=601

While not overly generous, we did tip the waiter $20 and his assistant $10.

Your pictures helped me decide it's something we would enjoy. We also have an art suite! Thank you for the pictures and the help.

We have done it a few times and the waiter stays with you throughout while the assistant runs back and forth to the galley. No need to tip during the meal.

Thank you for your reply. I just want to double check one thing, the waiter doesn't actually stay on the balcony with us while we eat, does he? That could kind of get awkward for us, we'd feel we'd have to keep up a stream of small talk with the waiter. We like chatting with people about where they are from, etc, but not throughout dinner.

Thank you for your reply. I just want to double check one thing, the waiter doesn't actually stay on the balcony with us while we eat, does he? That could kind of get awkward for us, we'd feel we'd have to keep up a stream of small talk with the waiter. We like chatting with people about where they are from, etc, but not throughout dinner.

The waiter (and his/her assistant) remain discreetly in the background somewhere, appearing only to pour wine, serve different courses, etc, or take additional photos with your camera, if desired. :cool:

...VTX-Al