Grand and star princess in san francisco fleet week

MTJSR

I called a couple of weeks ago to book the BVE for my daughter and son-in-law, I was told it was full and there was no waiting list. I wonder how many people they allow.

They allow 50 people for the BVE. When I called and made reservations for my sister and her family 3 weeks ago there were only 12 openings left. Its nice to invite whomever to the BVE that way if you are on the cruise you can link your booking with your BVE people and you can get on at the time that they do.

Becky

That 1pm boarding time is standard boarding-pass verbiage that's printed on every BP. In other words, it's applicable to those actually booked on the cruise. I guess Princess has been too lazy to re-program the system to print out different BPs for the Bon Voyage participants. Anyway, ignore it and get to the port by 11 -- in fact, I'd be there by 10.30, just to make sure you get to the designated waiting spot in good time. Have fun!

Agreed. We did the BVE on July 31 on the Grand, and despite the 1:00pm boarding pass instructions, we were allowed into the terminal for check-in at 10:30am. We did have to wait in the terminal until around 11:30 before ship boarding began, but it sure beats waiting until 1:00pm, especially when ship's departure is normally 4:00 and they want you off the ship no later than 3:00!

This Saturday, October 10th, the Grand will be docked at pier 27 during the busiest day of San Francisco's Fleet Week and Air Show.

At 1 O'clock the Star will sail in under the Golden Gate bridge and be greeted to an air show by a United Airlines 747 doing show maneuvers along the waterfront and at 3 o'clock the Blue Angels. I will be posting photos here to share afterwards. It should make for quite a sight with all the sailboats, navel ships and two massive white cruise ships.

http://WWW.webmarin.com may show some of the fun along the waterfront of SF.

How was the show? We ended up watching from our apartment and they buzzed us three times. The dogs hated it :D

How was the show? We ended up watching from our apartment and they buzzed us three times. The dogs hated it :D

The Blue Angles show was awesome. The people on the Star and Grand had penthouse seats for the show. The scheduled 2pm United 747 maneuvers turned out to be a Boeing 787 instead. Still fun for low flybys and vertical type climb outs.

The Star arrived much earlier than shown on the shipping timetable. As we got off the ferry and out of the ferry building, we saw the Star pulling in and that was 11 something.

I believe the Princess ships were the photographic highlights prior to the angels show. I think more people thought the two enormous white passengers vessels were brought in as the backdrop for this event.

Im compiling pictures and will share some in a bit. Mark

Edited by MTJSR

The Blue Angles show was awesome. The people on the Star and Grand had penthouse seats for the show. The scheduled 2pm United 747 maneuvers turned out to be a Boeing 787 instead. Still fun for low flybys and vertical type climb outs.

The Star arrived much earlier than shown on the shipping timetable. As we got off the ferry and out of the ferry building, we saw the Star pulling in and that was 11 something.

I believe the Princess ships were the photographic highlights prior to the angels show. I think more people thought the two enormous white passengers vessels were brought in as the backdrop for this event.

Im compiling pictures and will share some in a bit. Mark

Looking forward to the pictures Mark!

After we got up this morning and had some coffee and breakfast, I got around to checking AIS thinking we had hours of time. I noticed that Star was already tied up in port hours ahead of time. That was disappointing. Oh well, still a good air show from our balcony.

Looking forward to the pictures Mark!

After we got up this morning and had some coffee and breakfast, I got around to checking AIS thinking we had hours of time. I noticed that Star was already tied up in port hours ahead of time. That was disappointing. Oh well, still a good air show from our balcony.

For sure and it was a long show too. Our ferry left from pier 41 like 10 minutes into it and we were in the parking garage at Jack London Square when it ended. Here are some pics, didn't get the air show ones like I thought I got. Enjoy

Lunch at Pier 23 with the Grand

1.jpg

2.jpg

The Star at Pier 35

3.jpg

The throngs of people parked everywhere

6.jpg

4.jpg

We watched the show today from the Coit Tower. The fog was never a problem for us but it's possible it could have been a problem for some viewing locations. The GG bridge seemed to be socked-in the entire time.

For those who are considering booking a cruise out of SF next fall, check the schedule thoroughly. I wasn't able to see any Princess cruises being in port that weekend. If I was looking at the schedule wrong, please come back here and let me know as I might try to book one for then.

The weather on Saturday was just perfect.

The highlight on Sunday and I say that with a touch of nervous humor was a Great White shark killed a seal and enjoyed it right in front of people on the dock at Alcatraz. Video is on YouTube apparently.

Edited by MTJSR

We watched the show today from the Coit Tower. The fog was never a problem for us but it's possible it could have been a problem for some viewing locations. The GG bridge seemed to be socked-in the entire time.

For those who are considering booking a cruise out of SF next fall, check the schedule thoroughly. I wasn't able to see any Princess cruises being in port that weekend. If I was looking at the schedule wrong, please come back here and let me know as I might try to book one for then.

From what's posted so far, there won't be any Princess ships departing or stopping in SF during Fleet Week 2016.

It looks like Fleet Week next year is October 8th and 9th...bummer.