New Toilets on Diamond

Lanwood

I did a short review on a different thread. But seeing though I haven't actually been a OP on a thread before, I thought this would be a good one to start.....

The toilets on the Diamond where quickly changed over to fancy Japanese style one's just prior to our cruise to appeal to the local Japanese market they are trying to attract while based in Yokohama.

I am told most of this was changed over during the Diamonds extra 2 nights stay over in Yokohama prior to our cruise, in which all passangers who where continueing on a b2b had to leave the ship and stay in a Hotel to empty the ship for a show off to local media and agents on a half day cruise.

For those who have not stayed in a Japanese hotel (or several other Asian country's who also use this style) the toilet had Wash and blow dry facilities installed with electric operated buttons to control it.

There was a separate large remote control on the counter top next to the sink, with an english/Japanese translation page next to it (as the remote language was in Japanese). The remote was removalable to pick up.

There where seveal options:

Water - Wash, Sprinkle or Spray. All three had extra features of pulsing or massage (I'm trying hard not to laugh while I type this) or you could have pulse and massage at the same time. Water had 3 different temperature settings. After, there was blow dry. With 3 different temperature settings.

The toilet seat was also heated with 3 different temperature settings.

I did take some photos, but short of popular public demand, I'll assume there are some photos people don't need to see on this respectable forum (oh, my stomach hurts from laughing)....:o

Edited by Lanwood

I've heard they changed over the public toilets on Sun Princess to Japanese bidet toilet seats, but not the cabins.

Those bidet toilet seats are brilliant. I used them all the time on a two week vacation to Japan. When I got home it was hard to adjust to not having them, I had this sense of being not quite clean for several weeks afterwards. ;)

I did a short review on a different thread. But seeing though I haven't actually been a OP on a thread before, I thought this would be a good one to start.....

The toilets on the Diamond where quickly changed over to fancy Japanese style one's just prior to our cruise to appeal to the local Japanese market they are trying to attract while based in Yokohama.

I am told most of this was changed over during the Diamonds extra 2 nights stay over in Yokohama prior to our cruise, in which all passangers who where continueing on a b2b had to leave the ship and stay in a Hotel to empty the ship for a show off to local media and agents on a half day cruise.

For those who have not stayed in a Japanese hotel (or several other Asian country's who also use this style) the toilet had Wash and blow dry facilities installed with electric operated buttons to control it.

There was a separate large remote control on the counter top next to the sink, with an english/Japanese translation page next to it (as the remote language was in Japanese). The remote was removalable to pick up.

Water - Wash, Sprinkle or Spray. All three had extra features of pulsing or massage (I'm trying hard not to laugh while I type this) or you could have pulse and massage at the same time. Water had 3 different temperature settings. After, there was blow dry. With 3 different temperature settings.

I did take some photos, but short of popular public demand, I'll assume there are some photos people don't need to see on this respectable forum (oh, my stomach hurts from laughing)....:o

Hey, I'm laughing just reading this. Since no photos forthcoming, I will wait for our friends who board in August to do the pix. Thanks for the new info.

I'd love to see the pictures (as long as they're just of the toilets, minus anyone using them . ;) )

Another vote for the (commode only) photos. From what I hear, they are quite wonderful.

Lanwood, are you going to post all your excellent comments as a separate review so it's easy to find? Your experience vis a vis the "enrichment program" and lectures is a bit different from what's been at least implied in Princess' publicity for the Japan program, and also from what was offered on board last year's Japan sailings. It might make a big difference to someone considering booking a Japan cruise to know how minimal the English language options really are.

These are available at Costco to add to an existing toilet. The controls/selections mentioned are exactly what I have on my bidet from Costco. Bidet's are more popular over seas. The flush handle on your standard toilet doesn't change and you don't have to use the features on the bidet if you choose not to.

Edited by cruzsnooze

I've been trying to find some reviews on the Diamond since her dry dock but those posted so far haven't really answered the questions I have. Would I be able to ask the questions here or would that be considered hijacking the thread? Some are to do with bathroom amenities if that helps? Thanks.

I've been trying to find some reviews on the Diamond since her dry dock but those posted so far haven't really answered the questions I have. Would I be able to ask the questions here or would that be considered hijacking the thread? Some are to do with bathroom amenities if that helps? Thanks.

I did a brief review here as a kept promise to a poster....

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2021118

Otherwise ask away. I'll try to help if I can. (and bring the tone of the thread to a much more respectable level...... for a minute :D )..

I agree no new toilets on the cabins.

My detailed description of our on-board bidet with multi wash option functions and blow dry, was that found in our cabin.

I must say (just to lower the tone again) that the heated seats gave a somewhat "unusual" feeling..........

Thanks Lanwood.

As a fellow Australian I appreciate a bit of 'toilet humour'. My husband is quite excited about the Japanese style toilets as he has been a regular visitor to Japan for the last 27 years and he LOVES the toilets there. He'll also have no problem with being naked at the Izumi, as the family he stays with in Japan owns and operates an old style bath house and that is the only way he can bathe while there. It was a culture shock at first but he came to like it.

Now, on to my questions:

We've sailed with Princess several times before but we are sailing on the Diamond later in the year with our adult daughter who is a first time cruiser. She has a few food issues [seafood being one] and I was wondering if the dining room menu includes many Asian style dishes or if it is the 'usual' Princess type dishes? From your other review I am now guessing far more Japanese style menu items? She mainly eats chicken so I hope there are at least some chicken dishes?

Also what are the new boutiques like? My daughter loves to 'shop' and I think this might be one area she would really like.

Lastly, I have read several comments on other threads about the downgrading of the bathroom amenities [shampoo, conditioner, shower gel etc] Are they still supplying the individual bottles or do they have the wall dispensers?

Thanks Lanwood.

Thanks Lanwood.

Now, on to my questions:

We've sailed with Princess several times before but we are sailing on the Diamond later in the year with our adult daughter who is a first time cruiser. She has a few food issues [seafood being one] and I was wondering if the dining room menu includes many Asian style dishes or if it is the 'usual' Princess type dishes? From your other review I am now guessing far more Japanese style menu items? She mainly eats chicken so I hope there are at least some chicken dishes?

Also what are the new boutiques like? My daughter loves to 'shop' and I think this might be one area she would really like.

Lastly, I have read several comments on other threads about the downgrading of the bathroom amenities [shampoo, conditioner, shower gel etc] Are they still supplying the individual bottles or do they have the wall dispensers?

Thanks Lanwood.

Thanks - I did start the thread with the best of intentions..honestly..but after tears had been rolling down my face half way through writting the OP with laughter - I realised what I had started.....in for a penny, in for a pound (parden the pun)

1. - I also don't eat much seafood. So I wouldn't go to Kai sushi in your case. My partner loves it though, so I went. Did like it, though seafood is not my cup of tea, I am adventurous when needed. The MDR menu was weighted towards japanese cruises. But there are western choices on board to choose from (though not as many as I used too with Princess, but they're there). The repeating princess favourites tend to be Japanese dishes, although they had the Katherine Hepburne's favourite pastas. I don't recall chicken being on the menu in the MDR to be honest - but I was only there for 4 out of the 9 nights. Sabatinis has a beautiful chicken dish, that I had twice on the cruise. The live work staions in the new horizons court where for Japanese dishes. Breakfast MDR menus (mostly in Japanese, so you'll need to ask for an English one) was one half set menu (traditional Japanese breakfast) and one side western style usual.

2. If you have money to spend, you will like the boutiques. They are weighted to female clientel. No mens clothes unless you want a princess souvenir type from Calypso Cove. Mostly upmarket clothing, hand bags etc in one shop, Jewelery/watches in another. Perfumes/colognes face products etc in another and so forth. If you are into a bargain, they did have sales at 3 different days in the santa fe dining room.

3. The toiletries in the cabin (mine was a mini-suite) were the installed wall dispensers. These where refilled every other day. There was a separate lotus spa soap for the sink, and 2 separate body/hand creams. The individual lotus spa bottles where not supplied.

Hope this helps, and sorry for any spelling mistakes in advance....

I am cruising from Sydney to Singapore next March and just wondered if others think the cruise will still be geared towards the Japanese with the menus being predominantly Japanese, as presumably there will not be many Japanese on this cruise? I would have thought it would be the same as our last two Singapore to Syndey cruises with more Australians than any other nationality. So will Diamond Princess cater for the Australians on this cruise or the Japanese?

My detailed description of our on-board bidet with multi wash option functions and blow dry, was that found in our cabin.

I must say (just to lower the tone again) that the heated seats gave a somewhat "unusual" feeling..........

Sorry confusing this with the Sapphire. :o

Have they fitted out all cabins?

I remember trying to use one of those toilets in the middle of the night at the home of my host family……I just pushed buttons until it flushed.

Photos please!

Wow, another thing to look forward to on our NZ and Oz cruise in Feb eh. I used these style in Korea years ago. Different for sure!

Cheers, Kenn

I remember trying to use one of those toilets in the middle of the night at the home of my host family……I just pushed buttons until it flushed.

Photos please!

Wow, another thing to look forward to on our NZ and Oz cruise in Feb eh. I used these style in Korea years ago. Different for sure!

Cheers, Kenn

We just got off the Sun Princess in Kobe last week. Kobe to Sydney. Our suite had the new addition to the toilet. The ship appeared to be gearing up for their Japanese passengers. Some of the menu selections were listed as they would be pronounced in Japanese. There seemed to be more seafood on the menu and some of the meals came with rice and Miso soup even though they did not appear to be a Japanese meal. Always available was a selection that included Japanese pickled vegetables. There was also a congee available every morning in the buffet. Apparently all the staff have to learn to speak Japanese and they are taking lessons. The last couple of days they started to add some Japanese signage. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and the itinerary and would gladly do it again.

Thanks Lanwood. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Interesting that there were no port lectures. That's one thing I always watch. I hope they will reinstate these.

One last question if you don't mind. Did they still have trivia and, if so, was it in English or Japanese?

I'm considering phoning Princess this morning to discuss some of my concerns. The Japanese flavour wont bother us, but I am not sure there will be a lot for my daughter to do. She's only 26 and since there usually aren't many passengers her age on board, I thought she might like the activities, movies etc. If many are in Japanese, then that limits that option for her too.

Thanks again.