Help! Handicapped cabin assigned, not acceptable

beamer8

Unfortunately we booked our cruise late on the Princess Coral panama canal.

We booked a Gty cabin.

Today we were assigned a handicapped cabin and we absolutely do not want it. There were only obstructed view cabins available which we had to accept. We paid extra for an upgrade should one become avail. We sail in 7 days and now got the assignment. What if any are we legally bound to accept this HC cabin?:mad:

Accepting an obstructed view and now a handicapped cabin, how can we get out of this?????:confused:

What's the problem?

You got what you booked - a cabin - you're on the cruise, why are you so unhappy?

As far as I understand, the HC cabins are 'let go' if no HC person needs them, and they are larger than regular cabins so many people quite like them.

We are not handicapped but had a handicapped cabin some cruises back. It was GREAT!!! Bigger then regular cabins, huge bathroom with a walk-in shower plus lots of storage space. If I were on your cruise I would gladly trade with you :D. Don't knock it until you see it.

<<<Karen>>>

P.S. I think we were on the Coral when we had the handicapped cabin.

Booking a Gty cabin means that Princess can give you any cabin in the category that you booked or in a higher category. You can keep checking Princess's web site and see what cabins open up in the category that you were given, and if one is better than what you have, you can ask to change. I hope that you get a cabin that you like. But booking a Gty cabin all ways leaves a chance that the cabin that they give you, you might not like. But some times when booking real late, there may be no other choice.

There were only obstructed view cabins available which we had to accept. We paid extra for an upgrade should one become avail.:confused:

Or is this the actual problem? You booked late wanting a balcony but none were available so you booked an Obstr OV GTY, gambling that you'd get a balcony upgrade. Your gamble didn't pay off (altho' you've got a cabin many people would enjoy) so now you're not happy.

Once you made that booking, you agreed to accept what Princess gave you so you can't 'get out of it' legitimately.

Even though we never stayed in any stateroom less than a balcony we understood that an obst. view was the only avail. Our travel agent then told us we could be upgraded but never mentioned H/C cabin.

We have seen H/C cabins before and found the large bathroom and sink in the mattress very unacceptable. We did not have a good feeling about these rooms.

We didnt realise that paying extra on gty would include H/C cabins, we were pretty much ready to settle with an obstructed being the lowest we could get. although not a H/C.

Sounds like you need to cancel your cruise as you will not be happy on this one. This is one of the reasons I always pay for a cabin I want and mark it no upgrade. Time to reconsider your booking options and your priorities. Good Luck.

We booked a Gty cabin.

Today we were assigned a handicapped cabin and we absolutely do not want it. There were only obstructed view cabins available which we had to accept. We paid extra for an upgrade should one become avail. We sail in 7 days and now got the assignment. What if any are we legally bound to accept this HC cabin?:mad:

Accepting an obstructed view and now a handicapped cabin, how can we get out of this?????:confused:

If I understand you correctly you paid for a gty obstructed view cabin, and that is what Princess provided you with. I guess you are assigned to one of the eight HC cabins on deck 8, mid ship. These cabins are 50% larger than regular size cabins with large bathrooms and a good amount of storage space. I would be pleased to get one of these cabins. If you really wish to change you can call your T.A., or Princess if booked directly, and see if they can make a swap.

You will enjoy the Coral Princess and the Panama Canal voyage.

Legally: I would think you would not want to go a legal route w/o any chance of success or outcome. In the passage contract it states that the carrier has the right to assign you to any cabin of equal or higher category, and that is what they did, assigned you to a higher category obstructed view cabin.

Even though we never stayed in any stateroom less than a balcony we understood that an obst. view was the only avail. Our travel agent then told us we could be upgraded but never mentioned H/C cabin.

We have seen H/C cabins before and found the large bathroom and sink in the mattress very unacceptable. We did not have a good feeling about these rooms.

We didnt realise that paying extra on gty would include H/C cabins, we were pretty much ready to settle with an obstructed being the lowest we could get. although not a H/C.

Check Princess's web site and see what cabins are left that you might want and then see if there is a way for you to get it.

I had an upgrade once to an obstructed ocean-view handicapped room on the Island Princess. The room was fabulous. Tons of extra room and a huge bathroom, including a big shower with a fold-down bench. The Island has very small bathrooms, so I would be "over-the-top happy" to get what you were assigned. The mattress was fine too, with no dips or lumps.

As another poster said, you can always call and try to get an upgrade to a balcony room, but you will probably have to pay the difference between what you paid, and what the balcony costs.

One of the reasons Princess does not do many upgrades(free ones) anymore is because people complain about them. It became too much of a hassle. So you get a handicap cabin, which MOST all of us would LOVE, But you don't like it, really? Is it the stigma that you are in a handicap cabin that bothers you? BTW the mattress in a handicap cabin is the exact same type of mattress as every other cabin. I just do not understand your complaint. But I do hope you get a cabin that suites you more anyways.

I think you have three choices.

1. Live with the cabin.

2. Find another which is acceptable and pay any additional cost.

3 Cancel. You are in the 100% cancellation fee. So you would only get port charges back from Princess. If you have cancel for any reason coverage, the rest would come from the insurance company. Without insurance to cover it, you would be out the cost of the cruise.

Go to http://www.cruisedeckplans.com. Click on Princess, then Coral. Scroll down to the cabin category oceanview. Click on Handicapped cabins. You will see pictures of two HC cabins there. Then decide whether you are going to like it.

I was given a HC cabin on Diamond P. when I booked an inside gty for a B2B to Alaska about 5 weeks out. When the cabin was assigned, and I discovered it was HC, I emailed my TA. She said Princess new I didn't need a HC cabin, but apparently it was the only inside available for both legs of my B2B. It was HUGE. I loved it. Too bad I was sailing solo. EM

We booked a Gty cabin.

So what's wrong with a cabin for the handicapped? What category did you originally book?

What did you expect from a GTY cabin request?

BTW: HC are great. Larger than standard cabins, larger bathroom. My friend was lucky enough to be assigned one, and although not handicapped, she and her partner simply loved it. The view was only slightly obstructed.

Really, you should cancel your cruise. It sounds like for some reason, only known to you, you would not be happy with your GTY HC cabin.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We booked a Gty cabin.

Has happened to us- we immediately called and fortunately other cabins with the same category were available, we were able to move. However, that is a danger when booking a GTY cabin. Make the best of it- while the shower is large, the water gets all over the bathroom floor so keep towel on the floor to avoid flooding. The actual cabin is also larger-

Enjoy your cruise- and if you are fussy- do not book a GTY again.

Hi All

Once had a cabin issue and was moved to an unused handicapped cabin,

amazing cabin so much storage, wet room had an excellent shower,

so much space we invited friends for drinks.

yours Shogun

What a novel twist, to the normal problem, that of some selfish people lying, to book a cabin especially designed to help those unfortunate enough to need such facilities. DW is wheelchair bound and we have great difficulty in booking one, unless we book 18 months ahead of departure. We have no other choice. Please be assured that in your situation an HC cabin became available. Please enjoy your good fortune. Happy holiday.

And I wonder why customer service is nonexistent today.....because companies must deal with a society of complainers !!! If she has a problem, it's because either SHE misunderstood OR her TA misrepresented the facts.....either way, the OP seems upset with princess for doing EXACTLY what she booked.

So the next time your in a line, getting COMPLETELY dismissed by a company....blame it on the MANY people there before you....complaining about NOTHING, and expecting to get FREEBIES, for complaining on social media.

And I wonder why customer service is nonexistent today.....because companies must deal with a society of complainers !!! If she has a problem, it's because either SHE misunderstood OR her TA misrepresented the facts.....either way, the OP seems upset with princess for doing EXACTLY what she booked.

So the next time your in a line, getting COMPLETELY dismissed by a company....blame it on the MANY people there before you....complaining about NOTHING, and expecting to get FREEBIES, for complaining on social media.

AMEN!

Also.. newcruzer2... just saw we are on the same 12/11/16 sailing of the Regal. Nice!!

I think you have three choices.

1. Live with the cabin.

2. Find another which is acceptable and pay any additional cost.

3 Cancel. You are in the 100% cancellation fee. So you would only get port charges back from Princess. If you have cancel for any reason coverage, the rest would come from the insurance company. Without insurance to cover it, you would be out the cost of the cruise.

Personally I think they should take door #3, cut their losses and I'd jump onto that like white on rice, as it were. As was already posted, I too have to book as much as 18 months in advance to get one of the few accessible cabins available on any given ship.

Edited by Treven

Sounds like the op is concerned they are close to needed this type of room and are concerned other passengers will think they do.

Big deal it is a larger room on a cruise. Stop worrying about what others think of you.