Grand and star princess in san francisco fleet week

MTJSR

This Saturday, October 10th, the Grand will be docked at pier 27 during the busiest day of San Francisco's Fleet Week and Air Show.

At 1 O'clock the Star will sail in under the Golden Gate bridge and be greeted to an air show by a United Airlines 747 doing show maneuvers along the waterfront and at 3 o'clock the Blue Angels. I will be posting photos here to share afterwards. It should make for quite a sight with all the sailboats, navel ships and two massive white cruise ships.

http://WWW.webmarin.com may show some of the fun along the waterfront of SF.

Edited by MTJSR

I'm boarding the Grand on Sat and am looking forward to watching the Blue Angels. This will be the 3rd or 4th time I've sailed during Fleet week but the other times we were docked at pier 35 closer to the flight line center (That is where the Star Princess will dock). Should still be spectacular. Last time I sailed it was the Americas Cup and that was also fantastic to watch close up.

With the height of the cruise ship you can watch the planes long before/after those on the ground see them, they come into view before they pass the Bay Bridge. I find it very impressive to watch how they maneuver into position effortlessly before each maneuver.

I'm boarding the Grand on Sat and am looking forward to watching the Blue Angels. This will be the 3rd or 4th time I've sailed during Fleet week but the other times we were docked at pier 35 closer to the flight line center (That is where the Star Princess will dock). Should still be spectacular. Last time I sailed it was the Americas Cup and that was also fantastic to watch close up.

With the height of the cruise ship you can watch the planes long before/after those on the ground see them, they come into view before they pass the Bay Bridge. I find it very impressive to watch how they maneuver into position effortlessly before each maneuver.

lol, I was on the Grand doing the BVE at the same time, Small World!

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2279-1.jpg

IMG_2266-1.jpg

IMG_2267-1.jpg

Edited by MTJSR

Was on a B2B then, Balcony on the

side looking out over water. Was the second

part of cruise so never had to get off ship.

So saw from top and balcony. Great Show!

Was busy with the America Cup, Fleet Week

and all the boats in the water. Also remember

it was the playoffs for the Giants too.

We were booked on the Grand, but friends talked us into our upcoming 7 day Mexico on the Ruby.

That America's Cup/Fleet Week sail away was indeed very special.

Muster drill during the Blue Angels show...not so much....Safety First!

Enjoy everybody onboard! You have the best view:)

We sailed on the Star last year during Fleet week.

First of all: Be prepared for crazy traffic in San Francisco! We took an Amtrak train to Emeryville, then were supposed to take their bus to Fisherman's wharf. When we arrived in Emeryville we were told because it was Fleet week, the bus would only drop us off at the entrance to the Embarcadero. I was surprised - because they should have known it was Fleet week ahead of time, and at least let us know. Anyway, as we approached the Embarcadero, the bus stopped in the middle of the street, did not even pull over, and made everyone get off right there. We had to haul our luggage for a mile to the Pier, (thank goodness we had wheeled luggage) fighting heavy pedestrian traffic the whole way. We are pretty young, so it wasn't the end of the world. We saw some other cruise passengers taking bicycle cabs, but we felt like us plus our luggage was just too much for some poor person.

Secondly, they worked the Muster Drill around the Blue Angels show so those who wanted to, could see it. It was a pretty cool way to start the cruise before we sailed.

We really want to go downtown to see the ships, but we'll probably just head up to the Marin Headlands, or some other GG Bridge view area since traffic will be a nightmare. We've had horrible luck watching Princess ships leave on time on Fleet Week day. This same weekend one year ago...nothing happened on time :o

If I get some pics, I'll be sure to post them.

We really want to go downtown to see the ships, We've had horrible luck watching Princess ships leave on time on Fleet Week day. :o

If I get some pics, I'll be sure to post them.

Well this time, you will be in prime location to catch the Star roll in at 1pm!

I called Princess this morning trying to book the BVE for Saturday on the Grand. Unfortunately, it has to be booked 6days in advance. Bummer! It would be a great way to see the festivities away from the throngs that will line the Embarcadero. Not to mention an extra two hours on board due to the later 6:00pm departure. I'm just a few days too late! :(

I called Princess this morning trying to book the BVE for Saturday on the Grand. Unfortunately, it has to be booked 6days in advance. Bummer! It would be a great way to see the festivities away from the throngs that will line the Embarcadero. Not to mention an extra two hours on board due to the later 6:00pm departure. I'm just a few days too late! :(

I booked the BVE back in May on the Grand when I discovered it would be in port for Fleet Week. Unfortunately the boarding passes have a 1pm boarding time and we will need to be off by 5:30pm. We plan on getting to the port for the normal BVE boarding time of 11:00am in the hope we can get on earlier, if not we will at least have a great view for the majority of the air show.

Just added to the traffic mix already with two cruise ships in and the air show, I just read where Obama will be coming into town on Friday and leaving after a Democrat Fundraiser (hosted by Kanye) on Saturday, the 10th, early afternoon. And this will be at the Warfield Theater, which is in town. Sounds like gridlock to me. Have fun everyone. :D

Just added to the traffic mix already with two cruise ships in and the air show, I just read where Obama will be coming into town on Friday and leaving after a Democrat Fundraiser (hosted by Kanye) on Saturday, the 10th, early afternoon. And this will be at the Warfield Theater, which is in town. Sounds like gridlock to me. Have fun everyone. :D

Now that is going to be a madhouse! Did anyone tell those celebrities about Fleet Week?

Tomorrow might be a good day to swing by the city as they are already here practicing. My husband works in the city and said they were flying over pretty much all day. They'll be at it again tomorrow. I watched them in the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge (walked over) one year but the chances of finding parking anywhere near there is next to none. They flew so low, while over the bridge, you could see the pilot in the cockpit. :)

I called a couple of weeks ago to book the BVE for my daughter and son-in-law, I was told it was full and there was no waiting list. I wonder how many people they allow.

I booked the BVE back in May on the Grand when I discovered it would be in port for Fleet Week. Unfortunately the boarding passes have a 1pm boarding time and we will need to be off by 5:30pm. We plan on getting to the port for the normal BVE boarding time of 11:00am in the hope we can get on earlier, if not we will at least have a great view for the majority of the air show.

That 1pm boarding time is standard boarding-pass verbiage that's printed on every BP. In other words, it's applicable to those actually booked on the cruise. I guess Princess has been too lazy to re-program the system to print out different BPs for the Bon Voyage participants. Anyway, ignore it and get to the port by 11 -- in fact, I'd be there by 10.30, just to make sure you get to the designated waiting spot in good time. Have fun!

I think we'll go over by Emeryville and watch!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have a thought....Treasure Island! Here is the view, not to bad and easy/off the freeway.

IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4280.jpg