Price Drop after I paid in full, Question?

dptt

I have paid in full and there is now a big price drop in my category. I booked thru a travel agent. Is it possible I could get the price drop in ANY form? Who should I connect, my travel agent or the cruise line. I am new at this. Thank you for your help.

It never hurts to ask, the worst that can happen is the answer is "no."

Since your booking is with a TA, you must ask the TA to do this for you.

What happens often depends on which Princess agent your TA speaks with. Among the possibilities:

o Nothing happens

o You will be given an upgrade at no cost

o You will be given some OBC

o Some $$ will be refunded to your credit card

I agree that you should always ask. I just got a nice surprise just from asking. I was prepared for a 'no' but my TA came through for me. They just gave me another reason to use them next time.

Good luck.

Edited by Nezmo

Sometimes you get a nice surprise! Our TA went to bat for us and we had enough put back on our credit card to pay for a whole other (much less expensive) cruise.

We were told, even though it was after final payment, that we may lose our cabin location. I said we did not want that- we had prime real estate- unless it was substantial. It was substantial and we kept our cabin. I do not know the ins and outs of how it was done but it was a fabulous bonus.

We have gotten OBC after final payment when there was a price drop.

Since you booked with a TA, call right away, you may not be past the "official" final payment date. TAs require final 2 weeks or more before the Princess final date.

Sorry, but as a long-time TA, that statement isn't factual. Each TA/Agency can set their own policies regarding final, as long as it reaches the cruise line by the deadline.

Most of the time your TA can get some consideration should the price drop after final (which is frequently does with Princess).

We have gotten OBC after final payment when there was a price drop.

Since you booked with a TA, call right away, you may not be past the "official" final payment date. TAs require final 2 weeks or more before the Princess final date.

Thank you! That totally makes sense. I had wondered for the past few years how it came to be that we got $ refund instead of OBC after final payment- or a flat out 'NO'. I thought it was strange but wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. This explains it perfectly.

I have never gotten OBC, upgrade, refund - nothing - after final payment. My TA is so inexperienced, I have to tell her how to do things and how Princess does things. Yes - I am switching to someone else because it pays to have a TA with experience going to bat for you.

Hit or miss. Last year TA got us 50% of the fare drop as OBC 150.00. This year our trip on Regal went down 140.00 PP (2 days after final payment) and nothing, but I have found Princess real tight with OBC for this ship. We have our spring trip also on this ship with no OBC.

Hit or miss. Last year TA got us 50% of the fare drop as OBC 150.00. This year our trip on Regal went down 140.00 PP (2 days after final payment) and nothing, but I have found Princess real tight with OBC for this ship. We have our spring trip also on this ship with no OBC.

I don't agree that Princess is "tight" with the OBC on the Regal. In the 2015 on to b's in the Caribbean we had a substantial amount of OBC on each leg and on our upcoming B to B's in the Caribbean in spring 2016 we have again have a substantial amount of OBC.

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

Booking through a travel agent and price goes down after final payment can be a problem for the agent. They have been paid commission already based on the higher price. Maybe that is why some agents come through with reduction and others say no. Again, not being an agent, really don't know.

When I booked direct with princess and price went down way after final payment, I got a really nice credit back on my credit card. With an agent, got a very nice OBC from Princess when she called them. She is a friend(and said Princess doing the extra OBC didn't affect her comm.) and I was happy with the OBC which I will def. use so it was fine.

Edited by san diego sue

I have paid in full and there is now a big price drop in my category. I booked thru a travel agent. Is it possible I could get the price drop in ANY form? Who should I connect, my travel agent or the cruise line. I am new at this. Thank you for your help.

We have had this happen twice with Princess. The first time we got an extra $200 OBC. No sweat. Our TA asked and we were promptly given the option of less cash or the $200 OBC. It was a two week B2B and we took 9 tours with Princess, massages, drinks, renewal of vows, etc. Princess did just fine.

The second time Princess offered the liquor package on a one week cruise we had already booked. This was a new offer to get new bookings. Our TA called, and for $400 more from us we moved to a junior suite from a balcony, plus the liquor package plus some additional OBC.

On RCCL you wouldn't even get someone to pick up the phone. You can read my post about my journey through RCCL customer service elsewhere.

Booking through a travel agent and price goes down after final payment can be a problem for the agent. They have been paid commission already based on the higher price. Maybe that is why some agents come through with reduction and others say no. Again, not being an agent, really don't know. .

Not exactly true. Many times they don't receive commission until after the departure date. If they do receive commission prior to departure the cruise line will just recall the commission paid on the difference.

Doesn't hurt to call Princess. A few years ago my family booked 1- jr suite & 1 balcony for a 13-day Med cruise. A few weeks after final payment the price dropped so much we were able to get upgraded to a jr suite and full suite PLUS OBC for both cabins. We had a great time celebrating my parents 40th wedding anniversary!!!!!!

Tina

Everyone is talking about their TA's......No one is talking about the Princess agents who work directly for Princess....Upon occasion I use an agent....most of the time I use a Princess agent....The same one on numerous occasions....She has come up with great discounts in the form of OBC for me after final payment. She is not an outside agent, but works directly for Princess...It never hurts to ask....sometimes they are equal...:) sometimes not...:)

OP wondered about contacting their TA or the cruise line so I guess that's why we are all over the TA aspect.

I had heard- true or not true, I don't know- that if you book directly with Princess then it's easier to get some sort of OBC if the price goes down after final payment. I always check the price on the Princess website but it has always been higher than I get elsewhere.

I think it totally depends on who is on the other end of the line down at Princess. With Celebrity, I usually book directly with them but with Princess, I almost always use the same big box travel agency. They have gone to bat for me but have met up with Princess reps on the other end of the line that are unwilling to go the extra mile or simply don't know what they are talking about. Earlier this week, my TA really went to bat for me to get me into a better cabin ....was willing to pay a little but the Princess rep kept trying to charge me almost triple. There is a huge number of cabins still in the inventory after final payment. I noticed a huge price drop for new bookings only just a few hours later and called back my TA, who in turn contacted Princess and this rep went further and checked with her supervisor to see if I was allowed to upgrade my room...and they did. Never good to just punish long time cruisers for booking early...especially when they are willing to part with more money for something a little nicer... especially when the sailing is just sitting there with so many empty cabins. I understand rules are rules and am very happy to have gotten a nicer room for the same price as a first time cruiser could get.

I

I have never gotten OBC, upgrade, refund - nothing - after final payment. My TA is so inexperienced, I have to tell her how to do things and how Princess does things. Yes - I am switching to someone else because it pays to have a TA with experience going to bat for you.

I have gotten an upgrade and OBC after final payment. Maybe you need a new TA.

Yesterday I made the mistake of checking the current price on our cruise that is coming up in November. We paid $1399 per person for an interior cabin. They are now $1049, OV is $1149, and balconies are $1649. I contacted our travel agent about paying the extra $500 to upgrade to a balcony. She called Princess and was told that I could do that but I would lose OBC because OBC is not part of the current promotion. We decided that paying $500 more and losing OBC was not worth doing. She suggested that we asked to be put on the upgrade list when we check in at the port. That way, we may get an upgrade without losing anything.

Has anyone been upgraded this way? I am happy with our cabin, so I'm fine with not getting an upgrade. I just hate knowing that I didn't get a good deal:D