Veendam failed latest cdc inspection

That is not good.. August 19' date=' 2012, inspection score was 77 (85 or lower is unsatisfactory.)[/quote']

Not good at all:eek: If nothing else, it may make corporate wake up and pay attention to this ship - they'll have no choice I would think:rolleyes:

Where did you read this (I'm not questioning its truth at all). Is there a place to see the details of infractions?

EDIT: Never mind. Found the report on CDC site.

After reading about recent events on ms Veendam, I looked up the latest CDC Vessel Sanitation Report.

Apparently, as our boarding was delayed for hours on August 19, 2012, the CDC inspection was being conducted. The final inspection score was 77. (85 or lower is unsatisfactory.) Now I wonder if this inspection score wasn't the reason for delayed boarding.

I would never knowingly sail on a ship with such bad inspection report. (The previous Veendam inspection score dated 19 April 2012 was 93.)

Note that CDC does not inspect passenger cabins. From what I have read and seen on board last month, there appears to be serious issues in some passenger cabins in addition to the problems found in the CDC report.

Clearly, there has been a demonstrable deterioration in just a few short months.I saw the difference between my cruise in May and the cruise in August, but I don't know the cause.

The full report can be found at http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTgwMDAxMjE%3d-xo0EkEPOm%2bU%3d

Salacia

original post, with link above.

Great to know about the CDC website. I have bookmarked it for future reference.

pretty sure you will notice that the Prinsendam got a very HIGH mark at their last inspection:D:D Most HAL ships do - this is a very big anomoly Ruth Ann:eek: (sorry for the thread drift)

This was the sailing I was on. It explains why embarkation was delayed for several hours. Also explains the one announcement of the delay being due to "technical issues."

Wonder if the broken water main for the dishwashers came into effect for this scoring?

This report is sickening. I'm beginning to have feelings to cancel all upcoming HAL cruises and move on to Princess and Azamara. I have serious trepidation a forking thousands of dollars to a company blatantly ignoring safety and maintenance.

This specific part is troubling on many, many levels:

Violation: Water was leaking from the bottom of the water/ice machine into a hotel pan with at least 3 inches of water and then overflowing and pooling on the deck. The machine had an out of order sign posted but crew were still using the machine in front of senior staff. Senior staff were observed removing the out of order sign during service and the machine was used by several crew. After the inspector evaluated the machine, the out of order sign was put back on by senior staff.

I've bookmarked the site as well.

I find this whole issue with the Veendam very sad as she was my first cruise ship, and got me addicted to cruising:o However, I am feeling increasingly uneasy about maintenance right across the fleet. It's not just the occasional problems that come up, but HQ's consistent responses that there's never been a problem before, and there seems to be no resolution to any of them, on any of the ships, all the while the problems are being reported here over many cruises.

Yesterday, DH and I were at Canada Place in Vancouver and checking out the Volendam - my all-time favourite ship - and he noted how shabby she is looking. Hoping she gets spruced up soon but maybe someone who has recently been on her can attest that all is well onboard.

Obviously with all the comments here over the months this is not good for the Veendam and the Rotterdam, while certainly not as bad, just adds a little salt to the wound so to speak. That said my concern is the bigger issue of HAL leadership and management. Letting this happen is one concern I have and maybe more importantly is what happens now.

I'm not buying that. HAL's ads say luxury cruising! There is no excuse for not providing a clean ship for passengers. Unfortunately I have reservations for next week on this ship...so disappointed. I am calling travel agent today to tell them about this....think they need also to not sell or at least be aware of this inferior product.

Wife and I are booked for 13 day South American dep Nov 11. Obviously we are concerned. Could we ask you for updates after you are aboard. It looks as though a cancellation is not possible.

Wife and I are booked for 13 day South American dep Nov 11. Obviously we are concerned. Could we ask you for updates after you are aboard. It looks as though a cancellation is not possible.

welcome to CC. you are correct, too late to cancel now (unless you bought cancel for any reason insurance). go and enjoy your cruise. chance are everything will be fine for you.

Archived