Eden

Drobot234

eden_ramp.jpg

So, what do you guys think?

Ok,,,,did not have a visual when I made my comment.., sort of a wierd space..hope there are railings...what function is this supposed to serve????

Hi Everyone,

Gotta say, I was underwhelmed with this evening's presentation. I think Eden might be OK, but it looks like a re-working of the Two70 venue on the Royal Caribbean ships. Only thing is, Eden looks far more "out there". From the video - I noticed lots of steps, ramps, heard about waiters climbing on ladders to get ingredients to prepare drinks, and - about a venue at Eden that will be serving Sea Urchin - none of which appealed to me.

BTW, doesn't ANYONE involved in this project, realize that lots of steps with few handrails is never a good idea for a cruise ship ? Will there be 1 or more elevators for those who are challenged with steps ? I sure hope so !

I figured that Celebrity was going to push the envelope with Edge... but I wonder if they're pushing too hard. I'm still excited about what's ahead, and, our Edge sailings - though I am slightly apprehensive now.

Let's hope that future Edge reveals will be more interesting/appealing than what was presented tonight.

I'm in the process of watching it again, since I logged in late. It sort of sounds like a replacement for the atrium on the S-class ships although it is located aft on the Edge.

Things I like:

• 3 storey wall of windows
  • round design
  • bar with fresh herb "library"
  • café located in a large, interesting area

Things I'm not sure about:

• restaurant - sounds kind of like RCCL's Wonderland (which I have not yet tried). Looks interesting, but I suspect the price will make the existing specialties look like a bargain.
  • entertainment - if it's anything like the Cirque entertainers moving through the audience, or the cabaret-type lounge they had one night on the Summit, it's not really my cup of tea. Entertainers right in my face make me uncomfortable.

This article gives a lot more information. I do like the idea of complimentary breakfast and lunch "bites", whatever that means.

In any case, I'm excited to see it all in person. Less than two years to go!

Edited by BrendaJ

It looks like an intriguing venue. I agree that it is a little over the top in some ways, but like other new things that have been tried, they will likely have to refine the things that are not resonating with passengers.

It looks like a great space for relaxing and dining (with amazing views of the ocean) and for having classes and activities (likely for a fee) during the day and a lively place for cocktails before dinner and later. The performance art is not my cup of tea and neither is the sea urchin, but I'm excited to experience it all!

It looks interesting, but I foresee a number of problems:

(1) nobody has mentioned this, but it makes the aft view of the ship really ugly

(2) someone has already mentioned that all these ramps and stairs are neither efficient nor friendly to the mobility-challenged [did you notice how young all these designers are? do they have a clue how the average-age cruise passenger gets around?]

(3) the restaurant cuisine sounds too adventurous for many current Celebrity passengers [sea Urchin with dry ice garnish, served on a bowl of live fish anyone?] -- look at the Princess forum to see the negative reaction that has frozen the rollout of Curtis Stone's Share restaurants there.

(4) people have been complaining that unlimited beverage packages have slowed service -- imagine the impact of the bartender climbing the ladder on the 20-foot tall Library of Plants to get fresh garnish for every drink!

(5) the entertainment budget has been cut back dramatically on all Celebrity ships, so where are they getting all these performance artists, aerial artists, digeridoo beatboxers [i kid you not], roller skaters, sitar players, etc. for the Eden entertainment throughout the day and night?

The bottom line: if Celebrity delivers on all these promises, the cost of operating Edge will be far higher than the S-class ships. So the price peaks we have been seeing for the inaugural season cruises are probably what will be normal for these ships going forward. Maybe that will be a good business plan for the young crowd that is starting to make big bucks in their careers and can move up from Carnival, NCL and RCL -- but it sure isn't the Celebrity we have come to know and love :(

It looks interesting, but I foresee a number of problems:

(1) nobody has mentioned this, but it makes the aft view of the ship really ugly

(2) someone has already mentioned that all these ramps and stairs are neither efficient nor friendly to the mobility-challenged [did you notice how young all these designers are? do they have a clue how the average-age cruise passenger gets around?]

(3) the restaurant cuisine sounds too adventurous for many current Celebrity passengers [sea Urchin with dry ice garnish, served on a bowl of live fish anyone?] -- look at the Princess forum to see the negative reaction that has frozen the rollout of Curtis Stone's Share restaurants there.

(4) people have been complaining that unlimited beverage packages have slowed service -- imagine the impact of the bartender climbing the ladder on the 20-foot tall Library of Plants to get fresh garnish for every drink!

(5) the entertainment budget has been cut back dramatically on all Celebrity ships, so where are they getting all these performance artists, aerial artists, digeridoo beatboxers [i kid you not], roller skaters, sitar players, etc. for the Eden entertainment throughout the day and night?

The bottom line: if Celebrity delivers on all these promises, the cost of operating Edge will be far higher than the S-class ships. So the price peaks we have been seeing for the inaugural season cruises are probably what will be normal for these ships going forward. Maybe that will be a good business plan for the young crowd that is starting to make big bucks in their careers and can move up from Carnival, NCL and RCL -- but it sure isn't the Celebrity we have come to know and love :(

Well said sir!

Can you imagine if just one quarter of the ship decided to be there at the same time (like at a show on an S Class ship) what that would look like. We are just off the Solstice on our 5th cruise to Alaska and the sea days were packed all over the ship. Eden is either planned for just a few guests (Suites, Zenith) or this will be the most crowded part of the ship.

Ok,,,,did not have a visual when I made my comment.., sort of a wierd space..hope there are railings...what function is this supposed to serve????

It's probably supposed to serve the idea of Central Park like an Oasis Class/Solstice 2-deck library hybrid.

Problem is the strong potential for that pristine artist rendering quite literally to have been rendered as only a dream; because not enough people are going to treat it like a pristine area.

Rather, too many are going to trample right through it.

I'm concerned this area will draw far too much noise. Noise ordinarily is fine, but belongs in Quasar :), not a park or library.

I'm intrigued by the concept and think it will be an interesting atmosphere and experience.

I think they would have done themselves more favours by providing more visuals and eased up on the pretentiousness. I know they're pushing for upscale and high class, but it feels a little forced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally agree with those that are saying it looks like two70 on RCCL. It was my first and overwhelming reaction. It sounds like two70 with Wonderland added in. Seems a bit over the top to me. I actually love two70 and are one of those crazy people that love the quantum class. Was on the ill fated hurricane in Feb out of NJ on Anthem and loved the ship. That being said, I'm concerned Celebrity is trying too hard with this ship. I am anxious to see the Edge, have a reservation and will keep an open mind. But the Eden seems like a strange version of two70. We shall see...

I'm intrigued by the concept and think it will be an interesting atmosphere and experience.

I think they would have done themselves more favours by providing more visuals and eased up on the pretentiousness. I know they're pushing for upscale and high class, but it feels a little forced.

I agree that it feels like they are trying too hard to be "edgy". They may be able to draw a new crowd in with the edginess and time will tell if it is a success. I'm one who likes to try and explore new venues so am excited with the innovations (and our Edge cruise will be about the ship, not the ports), but it may be a "one and done" cruise for us on the Edge class if it seems over the top. I don't need all of the bells and whistles to have a good time on a cruise.

Is there anyone besides me out there that wishes they would just cut out this esoteric teasing and show us a deck plan of the public spaces. ALL the public spaces?

For instance, when was the last time you were on an X ship that did not have the MDR aft on decks 3, 4 or 5? So how does that fit in with Eden?

Is there anyone besides me out there that wishes they would just cut out this esoteric teasing and show us a deck plan of the public spaces. ALL the public spaces?

For instance, when was the last time you were on an X ship that did not have the MDR aft on decks 3, 4 or 5? So how does that fit in with Eden?

Absolutely. I want to know what I'm paying for

The whole thing - design, colors, concept - sort of creeped me out. Not a fan of sitar music or Cirque du Soleil acrobatics. I was hoping Celebrity would lean more in the direction of "fun younger lite version of Seabourn on a larger ship with more to do". This is just weird. Maybe millennials will like it?

The whole thing - design, colors, concept - sort of creeped me out. Not a fan of sitar music or Cirque du Soleil acrobatics. I was hoping Celebrity would lean more in the direction of "fun younger lite version of Seabourn on a larger ship with more to do". This is just weird. Maybe millennials will like it?

I'm firmly in the GenX category and I think it looks intriguing. Will I do the night thing? Probably not, but that is more due to allergies. But I think it looks lovely for daytime.