Just back from celebration..

Wonderful tips, many thanks...

Will defo make use of the free Thomson shuttles but also using the taxis to get to the must see places.. think Muscat has a mosque and opera house in town we need to see after the Cornish coastline?

Think cashing out £300 (because its the max at a cashpoint) worth of AED at either the Airport or Port in Dubai, to spend mainly on taxis in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Muscat. Which is £300 for 4 ppls use over the week long cruise. Seems a better idea then paying the £108pp for the HOHO buses I originally thought of doing.

But IS that too much AED?? Could always spend any remaining in the Malls for gifts I suppose.:D

I just now have to study the must sees and make a list for the taxis drivers. English is fine I guess...

I haven't seen any mention of a metro there or any HOHO's in Manama..and I cannot list many must sees in Manama to give to a cab driver... But at least the views are supposed to be v good there...

Lastly... Does the Thomson bus drop you off near any beaches in Khasab??

I know some have said treat this as a sea day and stay on board. But in past cruises I have found the most unexpected pleasures have come from unknown ports of call.

I've enjoyed many hours just soaking in the sun on a quiet beach or sea front in Olbia and Katakolon; here's hoping to find more of the same in Khasab...:p

Edited by waney

We go on the 22nd Feb cities of Gold too [emoji133]

Just a quick question, hope someone cane help....

So what IS the hoho bus?? [emoji85]

Also when we get to Dubai is the Muster drill on the Tuesday or weds when we sail??

Also what's the easiest way to get to the palm from the port?? I've seen their is a water taxi but this was from a forum in 2009 so not sure if it's still around??

Also...might seem like a silly question, but just for walking around Dubai/Abu Dhabi etc (not necessarily Mosques) does my husband need to be in long trousers and my shoulders to be covered??

Also, are all the vibration's as bad as the horror stories??

Thanks a Million x

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also when we get to Dubai is the Muster drill on the Tuesday or weds when we sail??

Also what's the easiest way to get to the palm from the port?? I've seen their is a water taxi but this was from a forum in 2009 so not sure if it's still around??

Also...might seem like a silly question, but just for walking around Dubai/Abu Dhabi etc (not necessarily Mosques) does my husband need to be in long trousers and my shoulders to be covered??

Thanks a Million x

Hi, we just checked in the flight out of Gatwick, see you on board. Weather in Dubai is forecast to be a tads cooler than I had hoped, only early 20's when we go (which is still perfectly warm; just not the high 20's Ideally wanted for the tan)...:rolleyes:

Can only answer a few of your Q's. Hope others will help with the others...

HOHO= hop on hop off buses, like the bigbustour company do in London

Never been on Thompson, but if they follow other Cruise Lines, the muster will be the evening we set sail. Although I always try to accidentally miss the mass drill and instead get something to eat and wait for the inevitable card to pop thru the cabin door informing me to the muster on the next seasday.

When we plan to go to the Palm, Atlantis it'll be by taxi as its a fair way from the nearest metro .. that's all I can help with.....

Almost forgot to ask about the use of Sterling. As the ship is AI and on board spend is sterling. I am really hoping to get away with only bring a Sterling £.[/b]

The ship is cash free so you use your cabin card for all purchases once on board (trips, drink supplements, shops, photos etc.) rather than paying in cash. You have to register a debit or credit card - or 200 Pounds cash - when you check-in and you will get an invoice mid week to tell you how your finds are going and if you need to top up. No supplement for registering a debit card or cash but 1.5% (I think) if you use a credit card.

Edited by campolady

Fab! Thanks Waney! We may be joining you for the naughty muster [emoji6]

Shame about the weather, let's hope we have a freak heat wave to help boost that tan [emoji12]

When are you planning on going into the palm?? We were thinking the Tuesday we get there?? X

Thanks a Million x

no they are not and they are not a vibration they are a 'wobble' which varies in both period and intensity and not over all the ship. Celebration veterans don't notice it except when it stops which means something is wrong with the electric generator.

Fab! Thanks Waney! We may be joining you for the naughty muster [emoji6]

Shame about the weather, let's hope we have a freak heat wave to help boost that tan [emoji12]

When are you planning on going into the palm?? We were thinking the Tuesday we get there?? X

Sounds like you flyout monday evening and have whole day in Dubai tuesday:eek:

we don't fly out until 2230 tuesday uk time...... so our whole day in dubai is the last day of our cruise.... :p

'Never been on Thompson, but if they follow other Cruise Lines, the muster will be the evening we set sail. Although I always try to accidentally miss the mass drill and instead get something to eat and wait for the inevitable card to pop thru the cabin door informing me to the muster on the next seaday'

Muster is now always before a ship sails and should be attended by everyone who has just boarded. It is not a joke and is International Maritime Law and if the elderly and those in wheelchairs can attend then so can everyone else Or are those who don't attend expecting others to help them in the case of an emergency although they are able bodied. On my last cruise I heard a party of 8 sorting out who would attend to call out the cabin nos so they could keep their table outside Liberties. I have done many cruises with Thomson, know their ships well and know exactly where I should be for muster but I still attend. How anyone can actually advertise the fact that they 'accidentally' don't attend which sets a bad example to new cruisers is beyond me. And for the record I'm not a goody two shoes

Thomson Spirit Oct 2005 Repo Palma to Sharm el Sheikh

Thomson Celebration Jan 2007 Red Sea Magic

Ocean Village Feb 2008 West Caribbean & Central America BtoB

Ocean Village Aug 2008 Eastern Med

Ocean Village 2 Feb 2009 Eastern Caribbean BtoB

Ocean Village Mar 2010 Eastern Caribbean BtoB

Thomson Dream Feb 2011 Eastern Caribbean & Cuba BtoB

Thomson Celebration Aug 2011 Eastern Med

Thomson Celebration Apr 2012 Red Sea Magic

Thomson Celebration Apr/May 2012 Repo Sharm el Sheikh to Marmaris

Thomson Dream Feb 2013 Eastern Caribbean BtoB

Thomson Majesty Nov/Dec 2014 Colourful Coasts Canaries

Thomson Dream Jan/Feb 2015 West Caribbean Panama & Cuba BtoB

Thomson Dream Apr 2015 Transatlantic Sunset

Thomson Majesty June 2015 Hellenic Classics

Thomson Celebration Sept 2015 Adriatic Affair

Thomson Dream Jan 2016 Mayan Treasures/Cuban Revolution

Thomson Dream April 2016 Atlantic Adventure

Thomson Dream June 2016 Iconic Islands/Adriatic Explorer

Thomson Celebration Jan 2017 Cities of Gold

Thomson Dream April2017 Atlantic Daydream

Thomson Majesty Sept2017 Med Medley/Treasures of Med

Apologies if anyone is offended by my reply (above), which just stated what I like to do. On point of record, I always attend A muster drill when cruising. Just I prefer to attend the relaxed one on the sea day as opposed cattle ranch one after I've spent half a day travelling then embarking when I am normally in need of a rest, shower and food.

After cruising a number of lines for a few years most itineraries now do little to interest us, however Thomson seem to have more variety of ports and with flights included makes them hard to beat. Have just booked for ' Mediterranean Sunrise' so will be returning to the Celebration.

'Never been on Thompson, but if they follow other Cruise Lines, the muster will be the evening we set sail. Although I always try to accidentally miss the mass drill and instead get something to eat and wait for the inevitable card to pop thru the cabin door informing me to the muster on the next seaday'

Muster is now always before a ship sails and should be attended by everyone who has just boarded. It is not a joke and is International Maritime Law and if the elderly and those in wheelchairs can attend then so can everyone else Or are those who don't attend expecting others to help them in the case of an emergency although they are able bodied. On my last cruise I heard a party of 8 sorting out who would attend to call out the cabin nos so they could keep their table outside Liberties. I have done many cruises with Thomson, know their ships well and know exactly where I should be for muster but I still attend. How anyone can actually advertise the fact that they 'accidentally' don't attend which sets a bad example to new cruisers is beyond me. And for the record I'm not a goody two shoes ������

Thomson Spirit Oct 2005 Repo Palma to Sharm el Sheikh

Thomson Celebration Jan 2007 Red Sea Magic

Ocean Village Feb 2008 West Caribbean & Central America BtoB

Ocean Village Aug 2008 Eastern Med

Ocean Village 2 Feb 2009 Eastern Caribbean BtoB

Ocean Village Mar 2010 Eastern Caribbean BtoB

Thomson Dream Feb 2011 Eastern Caribbean & Cuba BtoB

Thomson Celebration Aug 2011 Eastern Med

Thomson Celebration Apr 2012 Red Sea Magic

Thomson Celebration Apr/May 2012 Repo Sharm el Sheikh to Marmaris

Thomson Dream Feb 2013 Eastern Caribbean BtoB

Thomson Majesty Nov/Dec 2014 Colourful Coasts Canaries

Thomson Dream Jan/Feb 2015 West Caribbean Panama & Cuba BtoB

Thomson Dream Apr 2015 Transatlantic Sunset

Thomson Majesty June 2015 Hellenic Classics

Thomson Celebration Sept 2015 Adriatic Affair

Thomson Dream Jan 2016 Mayan Treasures/Cuban Revolution

Thomson Dream April 2016 Atlantic Adventure

Thomson Dream June 2016 Iconic Islands/Adriatic Explorer

Thomson Celebration Jan 2017 Cities of Gold

Thomson Dream April2017 Atlantic Daydream

Thomson Majesty Sept2017 Med Medley/Treasures of Med

the ships will eventually have the same system as the discovery when all cards are scanned at muster, so no trying to avoid it

• 4 weeks later...

We went on Celebration, Arabian nights cruise, two weeks ago from Dubai, definitely would never go on it again.

The vibration is ridiculously intrusive, on any deck above 6.

Had to get maintenance out to adjust our door as it tapped and squeaked all night.

The outside bar staff were surly and very unhelpful, and unfriendly.

Waney, we are just back from Arabian Nights and didn't even bother with taxis, used public transport in both Abu Dhabi and Dubai, you buy a ticket from a machine for about 20 dirhams and it does for the day, swipe on and off like an Oyster card, the buses are new, air-con and comfy with an area reserved for ladies. The buses are frequent and all drivers speak English and announcements are in English. We visited the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi this way, and also Burj Al Arab in the short time we had between the shuttle going back to ship. If you are doing the Dubai by Night tour though, you get taken to Burj Al Arab first so you might want to see something else during the day. If you get too hot in Abu Dhabi, jump into a bus shelter, they are super air conned!

Edited by Wetherby Whaler
Forgot to say....

Glad you had a fun time, not sure how you managed to ride the buses so merrily as even though we saw public buses we would never had known what routes they took. Sounds like you spent most of the shore time off the ship. We ended up back on ship for late lunches most days; but did see all we wanted using Taxis (and metro/monorail in Dubai)

In total the 4 of us spent €50 euros in muscat and another 120AED /26£in Abu Dhabi and 230AED /£51£ Dubai.

Which we thought reasonable.

On your point about the Muster. We attended as we had already eaten and showered. But anyone who didn't would have had to attend the naughty muster at a later date. We where in B13 and at least 3 cabins were missing.

Could have been Jenster?

All in all the holiday was good. However I must take Thomson up on the fact... The Airport being 1 hour away in the middle of the desert and a building site should have been mentioned somewhere before booking.

P.s I thought the food and service on the airplane was better then in the main restaurant :/

Edited by waney

• 2 months later...

I have just booked an outside cabin on Celebration. I have been on this ship before and Spirit the sister ship.

This time there will be three of us and so we will need a three berth cabin. Can anyone recommend a cabin please bearing in mind that we are all over 55?

I have been looking at 312 on deck 4 as it seems bigger and 418 on deck 3.

Any advice please? Will there be much swell felt in these cabins?

Thanks!

I have just booked an outside cabin on Celebration. I have been on this ship before and Spirit the sister ship.

This time there will be three of us and so we will need a three berth cabin. Can anyone recommend a cabin please bearing in mind that we are all over 55?

I have been looking at 312 on deck 4 as it seems bigger and 418 on deck 3.

Any advice please? Will there be much swell felt in these cabins?

Thanks!

First time on Celebration we didn't book a cabin and were allocated outside deck 4, just behind reception. Very quiet, perfect location. So, the next time we decided to take pot luck again and were allocated cabin 418. We noticed the different layout and more space which was great, until 6am when we were woken by banging and clanging. Now I'm a light sleeper so I take ear plugs but they couldn't stop this noise. Sounded like the anchor being lowered very slowly. This happened every morning so had very little sleep. Sorry but not for us:(

I find it hard to believe some do not attend muster on purpose as this keeps those who do attend waiting in the masses. My husband cannot use the stairs so we always find where our muster is and go up to it with the jackets so get stood in the masses quite early by the crew. I have seen people faint in the heat while waiting for the crew to call all the cabin numbers and never thought folk could be so inconsiderate to others.

Thank you, that rules out 418!

Do you remember the cabin number on deck 4 or if it was to the left or right of reception?

Just trying to find a decent 3 berth cabin with a bit more space!

We were around 344, great as it's so convenient for reception and the MDR - however it's only 2 berth. Not sure whether there are any 3 berths around the mid-ship area. Good luck!

Even if there were any 3 berth outside cabins on deck 4, it seems they have all been pre booked which leaves just 16 available on deck 3.

I'm not sure how they fill these outside cabins up on deck 3 ( meaning , do they just sell them as 2 berth to fill up the ship) and don't really want to pre book one as they all seem pretty much the same.

Any suggestions please?