Email from Azamara re Cuba cruises

uktog

For better or worse, ICE Agents have really stepped up immigrant enforcement since January. No reason that Custom agents couldn't make arrival in Miami a nightmare if they wanted.

We returned from Cuba on Quest in April and were simply waved through customs in Miami. Maybe it's changed since Friday's stupid announcement but none of us knows what it will be like and the speculation here ("nightmare":rolleyes:) has gotten out of hand.

Royal Caribbean received permission to cruise to Cuba in December 2016. Did anyone expect they were going to wait three years until 2020 (itineraries were planned through 2019) before going there?

As the regulations apply to cruise ships (or flights) originating in the US I wonder if the cruise lines may change there departure points. UK and European lines, even if owned by a US corporation, use locations such as Jamaica and Barbados and have itineraries freely visiting Cuba.

Unsure how this would impact US citizens indirectly visiting Cuba, but it certainly would make it easier for the rest of us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As the regulations apply to cruise ships (or flights) originating in the US I wonder if the cruise lines may change there departure points. UK and European lines, even if owned by a US corporation, use locations such as Jamaica and Barbados and have itineraries freely visiting Cuba.

Unsure how this would impact US citizens indirectly visiting Cuba, but it certainly would make it easier for the rest of us.

The port of embarkation has no bearing on the law as it affects US citizens so don't think they would make such a change.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

The port of embarkation has no bearing on the law as it affects US citizens so don't think they would make such a change.

Thank you for the clarification, I suppose it's fortunate that the Caribbean is such an oversubscribed destination that there's plenty of cruises to choose from for us to avoid these regulations.

Now when booking a Caribbean cruise we will be avoiding any cruises that start or finish in US it may limit our choise but it makes life easier.

Yes, but only if you assume a significant minority of pax are from the U.S. I know that Azamara sells very heavily into the U.K., and of course these crazy laws don't pertain to Canadians, Australians, Europeans either, except that apparently when the ship embarks from a U.S. port, all passengers are affected.

So, if a cruise can be filled with non-US pax, then why not sail from Nassau? Or Cancun if that's even possible.

Who knows how it will all shake out?

All I do know is that the biggest negative impact will be on the Cuban people. The owners of the paladars. the thousands of local businesses that have sprung up across the island, the owners of the AirBnb rentals and the employees of the hotels and resorts that were opened (and now closed) to Americans, albeit government run.

But, old Cuban Americans are a happy bunch.

well, the two beach resorts my American tour group stayed in were full of people from Canada. some Spanish speaking people-guessing Mexico or Spain. all the hotel were full. I bet tour companies will still go but with more rules.

well, the two beach resorts my American tour group stayed in were full of people from Canada. some Spanish speaking people-guessing Mexico or Spain. all the hotel were full. I bet tour companies will still go but with more rules.

The folks from Canada and Europe will not be affected by the recent announcement as they always could go without restrictions. It's just USA that's restricted.

These rules really suck for those of us who aren't Americans, don't they? As Canadians, we're free to fly to Cuba for a holiday any time we like, but since my husband is also a US citizen, we've never done so. Many Americans have travelled illegally to Cuba of course, through Canada or Mexico. But I've never thought it was worth the risk. I had hoped that we would be able to take a trip there from Florida some winter, given the relaxed rules, but this now seems like a pipe dream.

As Canadians, my travel companion and I have gone to Cuba twice for two weeks each time. It was very interesting and we did a number of excursions.

One thing that always stood out to us were the number of interesting places to go on what is the largest Caribbean island and it was right in the way of the cruise ships leaving Florida and other southern states.

We stayed overnight in Havana to see the show at club Tropicanna, snorkel the reefs, did caves, mountain walks, watch the making of cigars, tried a couple of local restaurants that people ran out of their homes, etc.

The number of stops Cuba can let the cruise lines add to their itineraries is a lot to lose if Trump really pushes this.

What I read was that US citizens would be subject to a stringent audit when they return, and could face heavy fines if their trip proved not to be in New of the 12 categories, but they can't subject UK residents to such an audit, can they?

Nor Aussies, hopefully.....watching this thread with interest.....

For better or worse, ICE Agents have really stepped up immigrant enforcement since January. No reason that Custom agents couldn't make arrival in Miami a nightmare if they wanted.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I heard that they are planning to treat UK visitors with much stronger scrutiny because of the open boarder policy in Europe. Canadians and Australians were not included for the added measures.

I heard that they are planning to treat UK visitors with much stronger scrutiny because of the open boarder policy in Europe. Canadians and Australians were not included for the added measures.

Would be strange as the UK is not party to the Schengen Agreement and therefore does not have an open boarder with the rest of Europe.