Cross Border Booking and Dual Citizenship

khanhhoa

Hello. Never been on a cruise but looking to book one.

I'm in the UK and I am looking at Mediterranean cruises without a flight. I.e. drive to the port. Seems prices are cheaper in the US in US$, but with the small print "must be a US resident", etc.

I am a dual UK/US citizen. I have a US passport, driver's license, bank account, credit card, phone number, mailing address, plus the funds for the cruise are in my US bank account. But... I don't live there anymore.

I presume the travel agency wouldn't know I am not living in the US, so they would honor the booking and get their commission. But what about boarding? I will have to show my US passport, right? Is there a risk of being found out and denied boarding? Do you get grilled?

Thanks!

Hello. Never been on a cruise but lookingto book one.

I'm in the UK and I am looking at Mediterranean cruises without a flight. I.e. drive to the port. Seems prices are cheaper in the US in US$, but with the small print "must be a US resident", etc.

I have a US //////// mailing address

I presume the travel agency wouldn't know I am not living in the US, so they would honor the booking and get their commission. But what about boarding? I will have to show my US passport, right? Is there a risk of being found out and denied boarding? Do you get grilled?

Thanks!

If it's not an obvious PO box address I reckon that covers you.

Some US agents don't give a damn about cruise lines' residency policy so it matters not whether they know

Theoretically there's no problem using your Brit passport when boarding. The policy is about residency, it's not about nationality - that would bust racial equality laws.

JB :)

If it's not an obvious PO box address I reckon that covers you.

There are places, not even remotely rural, in the U.S. where the only available mail delivery are P.O. boxes.

The policy is about residency, it's not about nationality - that would bust racial equality laws.

I'd beg to differ. Nationality and race are not necessarily the same thing. Lots of countries have citizen-only rates.

The U.S. bookings are different and you don't have the built in protections of those who book through the U.K.

Right now you get the beverage package without the 18% gratuity .... the U.S. will charge that.

The U.S. booking will let you cancel and rebook without penalty the U.K. won't.

Things to consider!

I'd beg to differ. Nationality and race are not necessarily the same thing. Lots of countries have citizen-only rates.

Errr, you're not differing, cockroach.:rolleyes:

I'm saying cruise booking policy is based on residency, not nationality.

You're saying lots of places have citizen-only rates.

We're saying the same thing - residency rules. :confused:

Errr, you're not differing, cockroach.:rolleyes:

I'm saying cruise booking policy is based on residency, not nationality.

You're saying lots of places have citizen-only rates.

We're saying the same thing - residency rules. :confused:

In this case, yes. However, the cruiseco can also discriminate, legally, based on nationality (which is, but not always, identical to citizenship, as in the case of U.S. nationals who are NOT U.S. citizens) if it choose to. You may be confusing nationality with race which may perhaps have been a little more (but not absolutely so) true in the past but not as much today.

• 4 weeks later...
The U.S. bookings are different and you don't have the built in protections of those who book through the U.K.

Right now you get the beverage package without the 18% gratuity .... the U.S. will charge that.

The U.S. booking will let you cancel and rebook without penalty the U.K. won't.

Things to consider!

The added 18% add gratuity depends on which cruise line. Princess doesn't add but NCL does.

Sent from my iPad using Forums