Seattle Mariners Tix

cruise.mode

Will have some pre-cruise time in Seattle in mid-August and would like to take in a Mariners game. If there are any local baseball fans out there, can you tell me whether it's necessary to buy tickets in advance, or can we just go to the ticket office the day of the game? Do games tend to sell out?

Relatively few games sell out, with the exceptions being (usually) the Yankees and the Blue Jays, when every living soul in Vancouver drives south to root for them. However the Jays have come and gone, and the Yankees are coming in July, so it shouldn't be a problem, so you can walk up.

You might have a look at Stubhub however; you can usually get very good seats (season ticket holders re-selling their seats) for not a lot over face value. Walk-up tickets will inevitably be in poorer locations, although Safeco is a pretty good ballpark - not a lot of bad seats.

Will have some pre-cruise time in Seattle in mid-August and would like to take in a Mariners game. If there are any local baseball fans out there, can you tell me whether it's necessary to buy tickets in advance, or can we just go to the ticket office the day of the game? Do games tend to sell out?

They don't usually sell out. Buy tickets from team website, or at the stadium.

I assume you aren't talking about seeing a game the day they ship leaves. You'd only be able to see the first couple of innings. By the time the game is over, ships are long gone.

Left field bleachers! My favorite area to sit so much fun and reasonably priced. If you sit on first base line make sure you get like below row 30 or something (ask the stadium people) the deck above over hangs and depending on how far back you are if there are homers, you won't see the ball travel the whole way until it drops back down into eye level.

Went last year at the end of June on a Sat night and bought tix that afternoon, we were already at Century Link for the Sounders match. I kept checking the Ticketmaster site and saw the game was not selling that quickly, but it seemed to be almost full so they probably had a lot of walk up sales. I agree with a PP about Stub Hub, I believe Stub Hub is the Mariners Official Ticket reseller. Check TM and see what tickets are going for, then check out Stub Hub and compare prices.

If you decide to wait until you get to Seattle the Mariners have a Team Store Downtown and I believe you can buy tickets there, give them a call first. That way if you are already in that area you don't have to go to Safeco early to get your tickets.

Downtown @ Westlake: (corner 4th & Stewart)

1800 4th Ave.

Seattle, WA 98101

(206) 346-4327

Hours: M-Sat 10:00-8:00, Sun 11:00-6:00 (non-game days), Sun 10:00-6:00 (game days)

While I live just south of Safeco field, I always buy my tickets on Craig's list. I usually get tickets in the club terrace for a very good price, and they are very good seats. Never had a problem with the tickets.:)

Where to sit for a day game? Which plate so the sun is not in our eyes? Most shade? Which way does the sun set relative to the field?

The home plate is in the southwest corner of the field, so everything on the third base line and left field, as well as most seats on the 100 level (lowest) around the field will be in shade when the sun starts going down. Seats on upper levels along the first base line, as well as those in right and center field, are more likely to get sun issues.

However, for day games in the summer it isn't going to be much of a problem as the sun will stay high enough in the sky to be out of the line of sight for fans. It's another matter, of course, for outfielders trying to catch popups.

• 2 weeks later...
... can you tell me whether it's necessary to buy tickets in advance, or can we just go to the ticket office the day of the game? Do games tend to sell out?

Games typically don't sell out with some exceptions. As mentioned, Yankees and Jays. I would say watch out for the games on August 11 - 13, especially the August 12 game. It's all about Edgar Martinez that weekend. The M's are retiring his number on August 12 so that would be a good one to go to, but might sell out.

As far as seats go (I hope I'm not overstepping, since you didn't ask) we typically buy the least expensive (I'd say cheapest but that term stopped applying years ago) tickets we can find, usually the bleachers. We rarely sit in our seats, maybe for an inning or two just to see them. Safeco is a great stadium to view the game from different places. You can stand behind the home plate seats and catch the action from there. There's a great railing above the bullpens where you can even place your food and beers while watching the game. There's the outfield deck, there's Edgar's patio. There are so many places you can check it out from. Even getting up to the 300 level offers you some great views of the city, sound and mountains.

The suggestion of the team store downtown Seattle is also a good one, it'll be less crowded than the stadium box office.

Enjoy the game. Go Mariners!

As far as seats go (I hope I'm not overstepping, since you didn't ask) we typically buy the least expensive (I'd say cheapest but that term stopped applying years ago) tickets we can find, usually the bleachers. We rarely sit in our seats, maybe for an inning or two just to see them. Safeco is a great stadium to view the game from different places. You can stand behind the home plate seats and catch the action from there. There's a great railing above the bullpens where you can even place your food and beers while watching the game. There's the outfield deck, there's Edgar's patio. There are so many places you can check it out from. Even getting up to the 300 level offers you some great views of the city, sound and mountains.

Enjoy the game. Go Mariners!

As a long-time Mariner fan, I couldn't agree more. But I would like to offer everyone a new place to get tickets...on your phone...anytime. It's an app called GameTime. I have it on my phone and I have scored some of the best seats ever with at phenomenal prices. We had friends here from Florida last week, post Solstice cruise and wanted to take them to a game. Went on GameTime looking for four seats. We wanted to really show off so I wanted the Club Level. Found four seats in section 234 (looking up the first baseline behind home plate) for $44 each. Regular price is in the $75 range. Yes these are resells but I have used the app for numerous games and never had a problem.

You buy the tickets online (I just checked and there are $7 tickets available for today's game against the Royals) and then you can text them to the people you are going with. Your phone is your ticket. It is the best way (and cheapest) I have found to get tickets to games.

They do all sports but I have only used them for the Mariners. Hawks tickets, even on resale, are way out of my price range.

Jim

PS: Here's the view from the seats we got on GameTime last week:

mariners.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to keep things cheap buy the bleacher seats (I think only $13/each or so) and there is plenty of bars/places to hang out and watch the game with much better views instead of way up in bleachers.

If you want to keep things cheap buy the bleacher seats (I think only $13/each or so) and there is plenty of bars/places to hang out and watch the game with much better views instead of way up in bleachers.

I would still download and try the GameTime app and try that first. I just found $8 seats for a game in two weeks. That's a great deal. They are in the upper deck but as you noted, you can walk around anyplace in the park. My son I never sit in our actual seats. We start at one bar or restaurant and move around.

I wish the Mariners were in town for our visit- we'll be in town a few days prior to our August 8th cruise and would have loved to see a game, but they are away that weekend. So- the next best thing- we're going to do the behind the scenes tour of the stadium.

Enjoy the game!!! :)

Local to locals question... How is Safeco situated for wheelchair parking spots (and accompanying actual seat)? Other fields (like Target Field in Minneapolis) behind the top row on a level there were rows of chairs that could be removed to move the wheelchair into the spot. Work the same for Mariners games? We are considering taking in a game this year (last year was too busy moving in) and found out a couple weeks ago the Sounder works really well for us to get downtown if they are running.

Local to locals question... How is Safeco situated for wheelchair parking spots (and accompanying actual seat)? Other fields (like Target Field in Minneapolis) behind the top row on a level there were rows of chairs that could be removed to move the wheelchair into the spot. Work the same for Mariners games? We are considering taking in a game this year (last year was too busy moving in) and found out a couple weeks ago the Sounder works really well for us to get downtown if they are running.

Works exactly the same at Safeco. And because all but the third deck faces the field you have a huge choice of handicapped seating areas. Lots of elevators as well if you need them. I can't speak to the parking because we NEVER park in either of the two structures. They take FOREVER to get out of. But my guess is that with handicapped parking, you will do fine.

As a long-time Mariner fan, I couldn't agree more. But I would like to offer everyone a new place to get tickets...on your phone...anytime. It's an app called GameTime. I have it on my phone and I have scored some of the best seats ever with at phenomenal prices. We had friends here from Florida last week, post Solstice cruise and wanted to take them to a game. Went on GameTime looking for four seats. We wanted to really show off so I wanted the Club Level. Found four seats in section 234 (looking up the first baseline behind home plate) for $44 each. Regular price is in the $75 range. Yes these are resells but I have used the app for numerous games and never had a problem.

You buy the tickets online (I just checked and there are $7 tickets available for today's game against the Royals) and then you can text them to the people you are going with. Your phone is your ticket. It is the best way (and cheapest) I have found to get tickets to games.

They do all sports but I have only used them for the Mariners. Hawks tickets, even on resale, are way out of my price range.

Jim

PS: Here's the view from the seats we got on GameTime last week:

mariners.jpg

Thanks! Just downloaded the App