Heathrow to Southampton...what is UK custom....are tips expected ??

vvnh16a

Taking a Private hire from Heathrow to Southampton in a month or so and I was just wondering what is the UK custom regarding tipping the driver in addition to the fare. If the fare is say 71BP.......is that what we pay him, do you round up to 75 or add 10-15%.

I am not trying to start a tipping discussion as to what you tip vs what I tip or is 20% better than 10% etc. AS a Brit, how would you handle a 71BP "private hire" fare simply to and from Heathrow (no tour)??

I agree with Kerry- I'd round it up to £75, if the driver had been helpful.We use a taxi to a rail station before a cruise, which costs £100, and we usually give £10, but the driver would deliver our cases on to the platform if we'd let him. I f he wasn't so helpful, he'd just get a couple of ££.

I would be just rounding up to the 75. If I didn't have 75, I would give the 80 but not expect change. If I was paying by Credit card, I would just provide a 5 pound note as a thankyou unless the service was not good.

I am a WELSH BRIT, I really do NOT like the tipping culture we find in USA which is now spreading like wildfire wherever we travel. Would like to say we DO follow the local gratuity custom wherever we are though.

I would probably pay £75 for the trip you mention. My husband would be disgusted with me and pay £80

Edited by Reina del Mar
Additional information.

£71 sounds like very good value to Southampton, or expensive to central London.

Like others, I'd round-up to £75 - or give exact fare and a £5 note as a tip - but that does depend on the value for the fare and the quality / helpfulness of the driver.

But more tends to be expected of Americans, so to get away with that you need to practice a Brit or Canuk or preferably Aussie accent ;)

JB :) .

You'all think the way we southern people talk will be noticed in the mother land!! ... and here I always thought it was my sneakers!!

I will practice my "twang" so its less noticeable.

Much appreciate both the advice on tipping and caution!!

We don't have an accent, it is everyone else.

:D That reminds me of my friend's daughter when she returned to Yorkshire after her first term at a London Uni.. she'd been ragged mercilessly about her Yorks accent. Her little sister was puzzled, and said (imagine a strong northern accent here...) "But WE don't have any accent..." :rolleyes:

Once, in America, a group of people commented on our strange accent. They asked where we were from, and we said Great Britain.

"Oh WELL DONE for learning to speak English so well!" was the reply... :confused:

:D That reminds me of my friend's daughter when she returned to Yorkshire after her first term at a London Uni.. she'd been ragged mercilessly about her Yorks accent. Her little sister was puzzled, and said (imagine a strong northern accent here...) "But WE don't have any accent..." :rolleyes:

Once, in America, a group of people commented on our strange accent. They asked where we were from, and we said Great Britain.

"Oh WELL DONE for learning to speak English so well!" was the reply... :confused:

Lol, it is a shame when someone murders the queen's English but then at least they are trying.:rolleyes:

Lol, it is a shame when someone murders the queen's English but then at least they are trying.:rolleyes:

Yes, I find them extremely trying.:D

JB :)

ps not sure that Americans have the same double-meaning of "trying"

LOL,

Reminds me of the southern US saying where someone will say in a very sweet way 'well aren't you a peach' and some people think it is a compliment but the sarcasm is thick.

A "Georgia Peach" is a beautiful girl.....are there any similar phrases in the UK or Australlia (keep it clean!)??

From the "Urban " Dictionary...definition of "Georgia Peach" and "Sheila"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Georgia%20Peach

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sheila

Interesting, even I didn't realise there was so much depth and analysis of a Sheila. Normally it is any female.