Seattle transportation and hotel help for August

aeegee

We will be on a cruise the end of August leaving from Seattle. We are looking at the Moore hotel downtown. My husband sometimes has problems walking, but we were thinking of using the light rail from the airport to this hotel. Good/bad?

Since reading a lot, I am now looking at 2 other options.

1. Stay at an airport hotel the day before and then going to Pier 91 the day of the cruise.

2. Staying downtown and then taking some kind of transportation to the port, but how do you get to downtown hotel.

The big thing for me is the cost of transportation to the hotel or to the port. Has anyone used LYFT? Not too keen on Uber, but would consider it, we've never used either. Some of the airport hotels will pick you up at the airport, take you to the hotel and then to the port. All of that transportation is with Super Shuttle, which picks up at multiple hotels, etc. I want to get to port earlier than noon and knowing that some people will be late, it's frustrating getting some where late after waiting at so many hotels along the route.

I see that only 2 private car/limo services can go to the airport, Super Shuttle and STILA (?). I think it would be good to have a private car waiting for us and then one on our return. Seems that the cost is about the same as the "herding" shuttle. Anyone have any experience with any of these options or another?

A 3 mile trip via cab to a hotel by the airport or from a downtown hotel to port is within reason, but since the airport is so far from everything in Seattle that's the problem. I'm not even sure if Super Shuttle is reliable. Can anyone share your experience? We're just looking for the most comfortable option that will get us to where we want to go On Time, which means the port and then back to the airport after the cruise Getting to the hotel doesn't have to be on time, but then we don't want to wait for people to get off at 20 hotels. The Moore downtown is not on Super Shuttles route, which is another problem.

I'm sorry that I've made this so complicated, but I've looked at so many options and none look really user friendly. The light rail sounds good, but then you have to walk so far just to pick it up at the airport and then there is a walk to the Moore. I just need some insight from folks with the "Seattle" experience.

Thanks all.

We are locals and use Shuttle Express, which offers many types of vehicles, from minibuses to private limos. The limos are independent contractors who own their cars, generally luxury sedans, and contract with Shuttle Express for scheduling and bookings. We live about 40 minutes from the Seattle airport and use both limos and shuttle busses, depending on the trip and timing. I would not hesitate to book a limo with this company. We have found their drivers to be professional and on time, and limo cars spotless and well maintained. The pickup and meeting area is in the airport parking garage near the taxi stand. There is an inside waiting area with seating and an information desk. I am not certain if it is still possible to have your driver meet you at baggage claim. There are luggage carts available at baggage claim that you wheel through the enclosed walkway to the parking garage. The Seattle airport has coordinated all ground transportation of shuttles, limos, and taxis to this central area. Signage is good, not much walking, and there are both escalators and several elevators to make it easier.

https://shuttleexpress.com/

They offer a AAA discount. There may be others. Our most recent driver suggested that a veteran's discount might be available.

The port and dock area can get busy on final debarkation day, with high demand and many cruisers. If you book a shuttle bus from the port to the airport, you may have a wait at the shuttle pickup point, with some cruisers waiting 20 minutes or so. The limo would be a better choice if you are able to pre-arrange a time.

We are locals and use Shuttle Express, which offers many types of vehicles, from minibuses to private limos. The limos are independent contractors who own their cars, generally luxury sedans, and contract with Shuttle Express for scheduling and bookings. We live about 40 minutes from the Seattle airport and use both limos and shuttle busses, depending on the trip and timing. I would not hesitate to book a limo with this company. We have found their drivers to be professional and on time, and limo cars spotless and well maintained. The pickup and meeting area is in the airport parking garage near the taxi stand. There is an inside waiting area with seating and an information desk. I am not certain if it is still possible to have your driver meet you at baggage claim. There are luggage carts available at baggage claim that you wheel through the enclosed walkway to the parking garage. The Seattle airport has coordinated all ground transportation of shuttles, limos, and taxis to this central area. Signage is good, not much walking, and there are both escalators and several elevators to make it easier.

They offer a AAA discount. There may be others. Our most recent driver suggested that a veteran's discount might be available.

The port and dock area can get busy on final debarkation day, with high demand and many cruisers. If you book a shuttle bus from the port to the airport, you may have a wait at the shuttle pickup point, with some cruisers waiting 20 minutes or so. The limo would be a better choice if you are able to pre-arrange a time.

Thank you. I'll have to look at pricing, but it may be better, from what you're saying to get the limo. I'm not a fan of spending time worrying about whether we'll get some where on time.

With problems walking I wouldn't consider the light rail. The airport stations is a reasonably long walk from the terminals.

Are you getting in early enough to have time to do some touring in Seattle or are you just looking for a place to sleep and then going directly to the ship in the morning? If you aren't doing any touring I would just stay by the airport and then pre-arrange for a car/limo service to take you to Pier 91 in the morning. That would be the most convenient and comfortable transportation option. Otherwise you could always just grab an Uber or yellow cab to the port. The airport isn't really that far from downtown ~15 miles.

If you are getting in early enough to do some sightseeing then you would definitely be better off with a downtown or Seattle Center area hotel the night before the cruise.

With problems walking I wouldn't consider the light rail. The airport stations is a reasonably long walk from the terminals.

Are you getting in early enough to have time to do some touring in Seattle or are you just looking for a place to sleep and then going directly to the ship in the morning? If you aren't doing any touring I would just stay by the airport and then pre-arrange for a car/limo service to take you to Pier 91 in the morning. That would be the most convenient and comfortable transportation option. Otherwise you could always just grab an Uber or yellow cab to the port. The airport isn't really that far from downtown ~15 miles.

If you are getting in early enough to do some sightseeing then you would definitely be better off with a downtown or Seattle Center area hotel the night before the cruise.

Thank you.

We are planning on getting in before or around noon. Some of the hotels have transportation to the light rail into town, so that may be an option if we decide to look around. The walking part mostly has to do with hills, some walking is ok, but dragging suitcases may be a problem. It just depends.

Have you ever used Shuttle Express? Are they dependable, if you have?

Thank you again for responding.

Have you ever been to Seattle? Very steep hills - not good at all for someone with walking issues.

Roz

I've been to Seattle a long time ago, but as a visit with a family member that lived near by. I don't remember at all, but I don't remember it being "San Francisco-ish". I've only read info about the light rail to downtown and around to the Moore Hotel. I've googled the map and asked on Trip Advisor, but to me CC gives me the best review because it has to do with the cruise and why I'm in the city, etc.

The walking issues we have are fine, but at times can become a little too much. I appreciate the info on walking issues, but I'm also looking for issues or info in general and then we can make a decision. In mentioning the walking issue we can get info that we MAY need to use, so thank you for your response and to everyone else that responded.

Thank you.

We are planning on getting in before or around noon. Some of the hotels have transportation to the light rail into town, so that may be an option if we decide to look around. The walking part mostly has to do with hills, some walking is ok, but dragging suitcases may be a problem. It just depends.

Have you ever used Shuttle Express? Are they dependable, if you have?

Thank you again for responding.

With getting in before noon I would definitely look at staying downtown or near the Seattle Center. Downtown hotels will be more expensive however there is also considerably more to see and do than hanging out by the airport.

Light rail could work ok if you can handle the walk to the station and then dragging your luggage onto and off of the trains etc. If you stay over by the Seattle Center you could get off the light rail at the Westlake station and then take the monorail over to the Seattle Center, but again more pulling luggage around. Personally I would spend the extra money and arrange for a car service to take me directly to the hotel.

I would figure out how you want to spend your afternoon in Seattle and then plan your transportation around that. If you want to go to the Space Needle and the Chihuly museum for instance then you might want to stay near the Seattle Center. If the waterfront and Pike Place Market is what you want to see then a downtown area hotel might be a better choice.

I haven't used Shuttle Express in years, we prefer to drive and leave our car at the cruise port or airport. They are the main airport shuttle service in the area. They also do cruise shuttles, limos, etc. I know lots of people that have used them without any issues though.

With getting in before noon I would definitely look at staying downtown or near the Seattle Center. Downtown hotels will be more expensive however there is also considerably more to see and do than hanging out by the airport.

Light rail could work ok if you can handle the walk to the station and then dragging your luggage onto and off of the trains etc. If you stay over by the Seattle Center you could get off the light rail at the Westlake station and then take the monorail over to the Seattle Center, but again more pulling luggage around. Personally I would spend the extra money and arrange for a car service to take me directly to the hotel.

I would figure out how you want to spend your afternoon in Seattle and then plan your transportation around that. If you want to go to the Space Needle and the Chihuly museum for instance then you might want to stay near the Seattle Center. If the waterfront and Pike Place Market is what you want to see then a downtown area hotel might be a better choice.

I haven't used Shuttle Express in years, we prefer to drive and leave our car at the cruise port or airport. They are the main airport shuttle service in the area. They also do cruise shuttles, limos, etc. I know lots of people that have used them without any issues though.

Thank you very much for all the information. It's very helpful.

It would be nice to be able to drive, but we're flying in. I think we're leaning toward staying in town. In the morning we'll just have a short taxi ride to the port. I'm looking at Shuttle Express to take us to the hotel, I think. The hotel we're looking at is within 2 blocks of the Light Rain, but it seems like the lugging of suitcases at the airport and the two blocks to the hotel may be a little stressful.

Once we get all the transportation set we'll be looking for a good seafood restaurant. Always fun to do and try new things in a city you haven't been to. We do plan on doing some of the things you mentioned.

Thank you again.

I though Seattle was very steep, and I grew up in Pittsburgh with well developed calf muscles. :D

Roz

Too funny.

I can't really say anything about how steep Seattle is. I was in Seattle way back in the early 70's, so I don't remember and even though I'm from Philly I've only been to Pittsburgh once or twice.:D

We'll wait and see how my husband feels about all of it. I'm just researching.

Thank you very much for all the information. It's very helpful.

It would be nice to be able to drive, but we're flying in. I think we're leaning toward staying in town. In the morning we'll just have a short taxi ride to the port. I'm looking at Shuttle Express to take us to the hotel, I think. The hotel we're looking at is within 2 blocks of the Light Rain, but it seems like the lugging of suitcases at the airport and the two blocks to the hotel may be a little stressful.

Once we get all the transportation set we'll be looking for a good seafood restaurant. Always fun to do and try new things in a city you haven't been to. We do plan on doing some of the things you mentioned.

Thank you again.

depends on the part of town. the area around seattle center is easily walkable.

• 1 month later...

Do you need to make reservations from the airport to a downtown hotel or are there cars outside waiting?

Do you need to make reservations from the airport to a downtown hotel or are there cars outside waiting?

Just to be on the safe side I would make arrangements before hand. Like tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

If you are not planning on sightseeing and just need a pre-cruise hotel for sleeping, definitely consider a hotel that offers free pick-up shuttle from the airport and a shuttle to the pier in the morning (usually a small cost of $12 or so pp). There are 2 Hamptons near the airport that I've stayed in multiple times. Both are very clean and comfortable and offer a free breakfast. To me, it's the best deal in town.

If you are not planning on sightseeing and just need a pre-cruise hotel for sleeping, definitely consider a hotel that offers free pick-up shuttle from the airport and a shuttle to the pier in the morning (usually a small cost of $12 or so pp). There are 2 Hamptons near the airport that I've stayed in multiple times. Both are very clean and comfortable and offer a free breakfast. To me, it's the best deal in town.

I wish I'd seen this before I booked my Sea-Tac area hotel, the only arrangement not made/paid for is cruise day transportation from the hotel to port. Thank you for posting this for people still looking at options.

you may wish to read this article on the Seattle forum on tripadvisor

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-c50949/Seattle:Washington:Cruises.From.Seattle.html

There are multiple shuttles to pier 91. Shuttle express is just one of several

Excellent info, thanks Dan. I liked Shuttle Express, but my hotel wasn't on their pick up list, but it was on Seattle Express. Plus, they offered a $5 discount; $13.99 + bags tip is very reasonable. Partnering with several Sea-Tac Hotels, they also offer a free shuttle to the nearby mall. I am now officially booked from flight out through flight home. God willing and the creek don't rise, it's wait for the date, pack, and go.