MITSUGIRLY decides to CONQUEST new ports-complete pictorial review

mitsugirly

I *think* baked beans for breakfast is a UK thing. I like baked beans....but with hot dogs' date=' not for breakfast![/quote']

I knew there had to be a reason behind it (and figured it was another country type of thing) just didn't know why.

Dive videos.... for some reason the Roatan video is not working, so I am having to reload it right now.

You can find all my videos on Vimeo: Search by my name or user466791

I have the full trip report of every day on cruise posted here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2505619

Unfortunately, my GoPro was on its last leg (its 5yrs old, Hero 2) and kept shutting off or saying the card was full while I was underwater. Since we got home, my wonderful hubby purchased me the upgrade, GoPro5 black. Totally stoked! We are probably doing a dive trip, not cruise next, so it will get lots of use.

robin

I did end up following your link in your signature and found the videos and your cruise report. The Roatan wasn't working for me (as you stated) so I'll keep checking back.

So glad you were able to upgrade and get a new GoPro. I can't wait to see new videos on the next trip. :)

I did end up following your link in your signature and found the videos and your cruise report. The Roatan wasn't working for me (as you stated) so I'll keep checking back.

So glad you were able to upgrade and get a new GoPro. I can't wait to see new videos on the next trip. :)

They have fixed the link now, so either link to the video of Roatan works. It was GREAT diving there, better than I even expected. I highly recommend AKR for diving or even for vacations. The reefs on that side of the island are definitely different from the southside, but there is more fishlife, particularly turtles and large animals on northside. Southside is more dramatic walls and smaller fish. Both great, but I would probably pick AKR for my next vacation there.

I am excited about the new GoPro5, but probably won't be using it until fall. I think my hubby is going to downsize his camera rig, the one he uses now we call the Deathstar...yeah, its that big. He is looking at getting the Olympus TG-5 with underwater housing, and use his current strobes. We'll see if I can convince him.

Be sure to post when you are planning your next vacation, land or cruise!

robin

I have been following your Carnival Reviews for some time now. I am now interested in checking out what NCL has to offer. Can you tell me what your favorite NCL ship is and why? I am just in my beginning phases of researching but any other information you have to offer would be great. Thanks.

I have NEVER seen an airport this crowded in my life! Like ever. It wasn't this bad when we went to Orlando with all the screaming kids. There was no place to sit, there wasn't even a place to stand. It was worse than the pool on the ship! Everyone was in my personal space!

I agree - we flew Southwest out of Ft. Lauderdale the Monday after Easter and it was crazy. I've never seen such a busy terminal either. (And we were at the Orlando airport the Monday after Thanksgiving....and I agree...it wasn't nearly as busy.)

I have been following your Carnival Reviews for some time now. I am now interested in checking out what NCL has to offer. Can you tell me what your favorite NCL ship is and why? I am just in my beginning phases of researching but any other information you have to offer would be great. Thanks.

Well, my favorite NCL ship is probably the most controversial ship they own...the Epic. It was my first cruise (after taking a break for many years) and it holds a special place in my heart. The cruise was fabulous, the friends we met on that cruise (and are still friends with today) were fabulous, and our second trip on the Epic last November just confirmed that I still love the ship (even though it was a different experience that time around).

If you are looking for all the bells and whistles...definitely check out the Breakaway or Getaway...and of course the new Escape (which has even more to offer).

If you after looking to go tiny...my favorite is the Sun. It never felt like there were many on the Sun and I just loved the ship!

I also really like the Spirit! It's a one of a kind and has an Asian flare/decor to it...so you won't find another quite like it.

So...it just depends on what type of ship you like...big or small, loaded with the new-new or just simple. :D

They have fixed the link now, so either link to the video of Roatan works. It was GREAT diving there, better than I even expected. I highly recommend AKR for diving or even for vacations. The reefs on that side of the island are definitely different from the southside, but there is more fishlife, particularly turtles and large animals on northside. Southside is more dramatic walls and smaller fish. Both great, but I would probably pick AKR for my next vacation there.

I am excited about the new GoPro5, but probably won't be using it until fall. I think my hubby is going to downsize his camera rig, the one he uses now we call the Deathstar...yeah, its that big. He is looking at getting the Olympus TG-5 with underwater housing, and use his current strobes. We'll see if I can convince him.

Be sure to post when you are planning your next vacation, land or cruise!

robin

I just had to come back and say that was the most amazing 11 minutes and 50 seconds I have ever watched! Wow! It was beautiful!!!! I see they have the powder blue coral that I loved so much in St Thomas. Also, I have never seen white sea fans and white....everything else. Really beautiful!!! It said the first dive was 53' max depth...so I'm assuming that a lot of that was above the 40' mark I can do. I would love to dive here! Thanks so much for sharing!

Well, my favorite NCL ship is probably the most controversial ship they own...the Epic. It was my first cruise (after taking a break for many years) and it holds a special place in my heart. The cruise was fabulous, the friends we met on that cruise (and are still friends with today) were fabulous, and our second trip on the Epic last November just confirmed that I still love the ship (even though it was a different experience that time around).

If you are looking for all the bells and whistles...definitely check out the Breakaway or Getaway...and of course the new Escape (which has even more to offer).

If you after looking to go tiny...my favorite is the Sun. It never felt like there were many on the Sun and I just loved the ship!

I also really like the Spirit! It's a one of a kind and has an Asian flare/decor to it...so you won't find another quite like it.

So...it just depends on what type of ship you like...big or small, loaded with the new-new or just simple. :D

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I just got off the magic and felt it was crowded at the buffet lines. I sailed on both the Liberty and Valor twice and loved that class. 2500 passengers vs 3500 is a big difference and not sure if I am sold on the larger ships. I had heard so many good things about the magic and was a little disappointed with the ship. With all that said, I dont like waiting in long lines to eat and if I want to go to a show, I want to go. I dont mind making a reservation if I need too. I am in the middle of reading your last epic review and it seems the boat is a tad bit crowded and a little slow on service in some areas. Also freestyle cruises seems to make reservations harder or impossible at some eateries. I am not extremely picky about food and I eat to live not live to eat. I will check out all of the ships you recommended. Again - thank you for taking the time to respond.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I just got off the magic and felt it was crowded at the buffet lines. I sailed on both the Liberty and Valor twice and loved that class. 2500 passengers vs 3500 is a big difference and not sure if I am sold on the larger ships. I had heard so many good things about the magic and was a little disappointed with the ship. With all that said, I dont like waiting in long lines to eat and if I want to go to a show, I want to go. I dont mind making a reservation if I need too. I am in the middle of reading your last epic review and it seems the boat is a tad bit crowded and a little slow on service in some areas. Also freestyle cruises seems to make reservations harder or impossible at some eateries. I am not extremely picky about food and I eat to live not live to eat. I will check out all of the ships you recommended. Again - thank you for taking the time to respond.

No problem. I have to agree about the crowds on the larger ships...you really can tell the difference. But, it's a trade off for all the new bells and whistles...so it just matters what's most important to you. I personally don't have a problem traveling on any of them and love a new experience. If you like ships that are somewhat in the middle in size...NCL's middle ships would be the Pearl, Gem, Jade, Jewel or even the Dawn or Star. A lot of people love those class ships. There's just so many different choices for everyone's needs. :D

Regarding the Lyft ride you used from the hotel to the port......where does the driver drop you off once you arrive at the port? Are they able to take you right to the terminal that your ship is leaving from? Do you remember which terminal Conquest was docked at? I'm new to using Lyft (have only used it once before) but I think this is really the best choice for such a quick ride from the hotel to the port (will be staying at the same hotel as you did).

Thanks for the wealth of info!!!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Regarding the Lyft ride you used from the hotel to the port......where does the driver drop you off once you arrive at the port? Are they able to take you right to the terminal that your ship is leaving from? Do you remember which terminal Conquest was docked at? I'm new to using Lyft (have only used it once before) but I think this is really the best choice for such a quick ride from the hotel to the port (will be staying at the same hotel as you did).

Thanks for the wealth of info!!!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

They take you right to the same place any other service would...right where you drop off you luggage in front of the terminal. :D They will also pick you up right there in front at the terminal. No worries. Super easy and SUPER FAST!

Weirdest Basketball court ever. Only a half court and very very small with a "dome" in the middle. So, no real "basketball games" will be played here.

P4190833%20copy-L.jpg

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is there a guy with a horse head sitting on the dome?

Thanks for another great review! When is the next cruise?

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is there a guy with a horse head sitting on the dome?

Thanks for another great review! When is the next cruise?

Oh my gosh that's funny. I had to do a double take. Actually it's a person with big red hair and the guy behind her is playing basketball and the position of his arm and then the basketball in his hand at the area of her forehead does make it look like that. :')

close%20up-L.jpg

Glad you enjoyed the review. I believe my next will be in August before Sakari heads back to school (and I head back to class as well). :)

Oh my gosh that's funny. I had to do a double take. Actually it's a person with big red hair and the guy behind her is playing basketball and the position of his arm and then the basketball in his hand at the area of her forehead does make it look like that. :')

close%20up-L.jpg

Glad you enjoyed the review. I believe my next will be in August before Sakari heads back to school (and I head back to class as well). :)

Ooops!! Apologies to the red head if you're out there reading this! :)

Mitsugirly.....I have a question about your photo hosting site. I see you use Smugmug. Like or dislike? Do you have it set up in albums by trips? Just wondering since we are moving all our stuff soon and thinking of going to that website.

thanks.

robin

Mitsugirly.....I have a question about your photo hosting site. I see you use Smugmug. Like or dislike? Do you have it set up in albums by trips? Just wondering since we are moving all our stuff soon and thinking of going to that website.

thanks.

robin

Hi Robin.

I have used Smugmug since probably around 2010. I do like it a lot.

Yes, I set up "Folders" with each cruise we take.

IMG_0529-L.jpg

Then when I click on the folder (for instance NCL Dawn), then it takes me to another screen where I have "Galleries" set up and I break those down in to each day of the trip (i.e our plane ride, hotel stay, Day 1, Day 2....).

Then you can also set up another set of "Folders" on that page and I sometimes do that for each individual port place we go to (or in this particular case on the Dawn, I broke it up into each individual day i.e Bermuda day 1, Bermuda day 2, Bermuda day 3).

IMG_0530.jpg

Within those "folders" from above, you can also set up more "Galleries"...in this case I took a certain day (i.e. Bermuda Day 2) and made an individual galleries for each different beach we went to (i.e. St George, Tobacco Bay, St Catherine and so on).

IMG_0531.jpg

It makes organization a lot easier.

They have easy drag features, so I upload my pics to the folder I want and then go to edit and just drag them in the order they need to be in to post.

You also have the option to make your folders/galleries "private" and you need a password to get into the folder. They have copy options as well that others can no right click and save you pictures and so on. It's worked about pretty good for the reason I decided to get it (which was for reviews and also a few other pictures I would take messing around with photography). They have a stats page that shows you how many views of your photos you've had this month/day/year and most viewed pictures and so on. It's a pretty neat little stats category.

I have the "power" account and pay yearly for it. Online it says it's $5.99/mo for that account, but I swear I thought I paid $60/year. Maybe I get a discount because I pay yearly...I'm not sure. There's a breakdown page that shows all the packages they have and what all they include. But, even the basic account $3.99 gives you unlimited storage.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know and I can try to answer. :)

THANKS!!!! That is exactly what I needed to see. Great job, by the way.

That's the same package we are looking at...we have thousands of photos from all our travels, scuba diving, and also our camping trips. We need to have them organized and this looks perfect.

thanks again.

robin

THANKS!!!! That is exactly what I needed to see. Great job, by the way.

That's the same package we are looking at...we have thousands of photos from all our travels, scuba diving, and also our camping trips. We need to have them organized and this looks perfect.

thanks again.

robin

You are very welcome Robin. You have been more than helpful to me in the past and I really appreciate it. I'm glad I was able to answer some questions for you. Happy travels (and scuba diving). :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am less worried about the depth you went, my guess would be at least 30 feet. Your right you should have had some basic clear your mask, this is where your weights are etc. Heck most places do some sort of instructions with fully certified diver. I am more considered that he did not keep a better watch on her, and kept her from going out so far on that cliff. While she has more ability in the water (from what I have seen) than most, he did not know that, and she should have never been there.

Not your fault in any way.

While most places would provide a DM just for her, one DM who controlled the dive for all three of you would have been good :)

Sorry about the fire coral, nasty stuff! The reason we always wear our full suits lol.

As for Bas Hart, I know that competition on the island is fierce, and he can be crusty, but we love him and his other DM. They also take photos and email them to you.

Before you know it your daughter is gonna be old enough to be fully certified, and she will probably have a life time love :) (or move to Aruba to be a dive instructor lol)

Happy diving!

Whew. I was sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see your reply and thoughts.

Thanks for being proud of us.

So we should have had a DM with us? Is this a requirement by PADI? Is this something that we should check when booking our next DSD? I want to be in the know on what to look for.

I looked him up and according to his #, he is an open water instructor and EFR instructor (which was not renewed since Dec 2013). :o

According to PADI, DSD can go down 12 meters (which is 40 feet correct?). That's what I have always been told by various instructors/dive masters both here and in the Caribbean and it's also what I read on the PAID site. The only information I have ever found about kids diving is the bubblemaker class/student can only go down 6' and that the "Seal Team" member is more advanced in skills and practices other skills, such as photography, buoyancy, environmental awareness and so on. It does allow them to go down 12 feet (which is why he covered his arse and said that's all we went down).

I have heard and read about stories and how these places can be a little "relaxed" and allow things to go on that is not supposed to. But I had a lot of problems finding anyone that would break the rules back when I was trying to find something we all could do. Or, maybe they just said that (as this place did too) and then once we would get there, things might have been different. I'm not sure.

Yes, I definitely made sure with every place I contacted that I was going from a shallow/off beach site with easy entry and I wanted to make sure there wasn't much of a current and maybe a protected bay area. Each place I contacted I requested where they would be taking me and did some online research about the place. That was one of the reasons I picked this dive shop, because of it being one of the easiest places to scuba for us (according to everything I had read online about it and what others had said).

As far as the camera...that is one thing that I wasn't worried about and I'm still not worried about and will always allow her to take the camera. This is the reason why...it's not like she is doing a DSD and this is only her second class (like us), so she has the experience. She does have several dives under her belt with classes, team and going monthly, plus vacation. She's been in the ocean since 3 years old and it's not like the ocean is new to her (as it could be for a lot of people going on vacation and trying something like this out). But, most of all, I made sure that she had her aquamission that was a class specifically on photography and diving prior to this vacation. So, although she has not been in the ocean scuba diving with her camera before now, she has taken it to her class several times and used it while diving and getting use to it along with having the class specifically for doing this. She has also used my camera, while snorkeling in the past, and she practiced with her camera off and on, during this cruise, prior to the dive as well. I feel real confident in her being able to take pictures and still know what she's doing. She was still doing all of her normal skills with removing her regulator and everything during the dive while taking pictures of herself doing it. Now the issue is going over things with her about sticking with the group closer, paying more attention to the instructor and listening for his clicks, being more aware of her surroundings and not hitting the coral, standing, or anything else (I honestly believe that even if she didn't have a camera with her, she could have easily bumped some fire coral anyhow because she still gets up close to observe things). So, hopefully this will put your mind at ease a little on her with a camera. But I will definitely conduct my own "class" with rules prior to any future dive.

We are still considering the class ourselves. But, I believe we will probably continue to just do DSD for now...at least until she turns 10 and she can start doing DSD with us. This experience was just amazing...even with the mishaps and worry from my end. It's not something I'm willing to give up on. I want to continue to practice and become more confident in getting used to the breathing under water to relieve my anxiety in the future.

I REALLY appreciate all your thoughts, advice, and everything else. You know this. And you were a big help with previous questions in the past regarding scuba. Thank you so much Robin!

The hubby was able to use his computer and the phone for work with no problems. Yes, there can be some lag at times and it also depended where you were at. I found it weird that it worked better in our room than up on the highest deck. But, during those few times that it had a few issues connecting (or I should say taking longer than expected) it eventually worked within minutes and then wouldn't have a problem after that.

There's no comment...try again. :)

Yea, then you would have guessed right. Of course I think I'm the one with the issue about it. No one else seemed to care that day and her dad didn't seem to think there was a problem and was so proud of her. I'm just a worry-wart I guess.

She would live in the water if you aloud her to. She has been trying to talk me into putting a pool in the back yard this summer. We had one at our old house before we sold it (before she was born) and I have been checking pricing and it seems like they have increased by about 3x. Eek! She's also requesting a "deep" pool so that she can get her own scuba gear and scuba in her own pool. Oh boy...I've created a monster. :o

Thank you so much. I'm glad you are enjoying it and like the style. I just tell it as it is and how it happens....the good and the bad. It is what it is.

Yea, I was proud of their dive and photo skills this time. We'll have to make this a habit from now on. The hubby REALLY enjoyed himself this time for sure. He kept talking about it and saying so.

I could have done without a few of the drama and suspense Sakari gave me this time around. :eek:

Thank you! Take care yourself.

Thanks for joining and I hope you enjoy it.

Oh, I was wondering. Thanks for the comments and glad you are liking it.

Thank you so much. Sorry to hear you had issues with scuba years ago. I was so afraid this was going to be an issue with Sakari as well. I'm glad she was able to do it this time. It has been a big concern of mine after reading that it sometimes just don't happen for some people. That would devastate her! Seriously!

I am less worried about the depth you went, my guess would be at least 30 feet. Your right you should have had some basic clear your mask, this is where your weights are etc. Heck most places do some sort of instructions with fully certified diver. I am more considered that he did not keep a better watch on her, and kept her from going out so far on that cliff. While she has more ability in the water (from what I have seen) than most, he did not know that, and she should have never been there.

Not your fault in any way.

While most places would provide a DM just for her, one DM who controlled the dive for all three of you would have been good :)

Sorry about the fire coral, nasty stuff! The reason we always wear our full suits lol.

As for Bas Hart, I know that competition on the island is fierce, and he can be crusty, but we love him and his other DM. They also take photos and email them to you.

Before you know it your daughter is gonna be old enough to be fully certified, and she will probably have a life time love :) (or move to Aruba to be a dive instructor lol)

Happy diving!

We did have the "class" time where they go over everything prior to going to the beach. We just didn't go over the skills once we got in the water (and that's MY problem...getting use to the water and practicing before taking off...no problems with the others and especially Sakari). We knew how to do the skills and clearing our masks...well, we're a pro at that now. :D

Yea, my issues was he was just too far away from her most of the time and especially when she was going out over the drop off. I think he might have felt comfortable with her diving skills because of the training she already has (certified PADI Seal, dives monthly and already had an ocean beach entrance dive) that he felt comfortable enough with her skills. Honestly, I felt comfortable with her skills too (just not with my own), but my fear of a "wall"...any wall, which freaks me out for some reason, made my level of anxiety go up just watching her. She had no fear, obviously the guide had no fear...dad was gleaming with pride I'm sure...and I was probably pale in the face.

Yea, I did not realize we should have had a dive master. I did know that she was supposed to have her own DM and us someone as well, but didn't know the level of training that person should have been.

They only had 1/2 suits so we didn't have any choice in that. I would have preferred a full suit trust me.

Maybe we will give Bas a try next time. We'll see. I know a lot of people love him.

Yes, certification could come in 9 months. I'm so not ready for this. She's growing up on me.

We can't wait to head to Aruba. So many plans and I'm ok with her going there to be an instructor...as long as she takes me. :D

Kim, I'm trying to reach you to discuss something. Can you email me if you see this at janet katz nj @ Verizon . net (no spaces) please?

Hoping that you see this or someone who can reach you sees it.

Thanks!

Done :)

edit...it's being rejected