Cutbacks...Anymore? Additions?

skiingj

Hearing alot about the Oasis class I am wondering where Carnival is going to go with the two 180,000 ships they have planned? I know they will have all the venues that the Vista has, just wondering what additional features.

With the Vista, I didn't expect the brewery and the IMAX theater. I was happy to at least see an MDR. After all the other builds where the MDR was de-emphasized I was happy to see Carnival kept the MDRs.

Speaking of MDR's, I don't mind the tablecloths being taken away some nights. Having water on the table, and a newer menu isn't a terrible thing. Though I miss the chateaubriand, I really don't miss the Beef Strogonoff and Turkey with Farfalle.

Hearing alot about the Oasis class I am wondering where Carnival is going to go with the two 180,000 ships they have planned? I know they will have all the venues that the Vista has, just wondering what additional features.

With the Vista, I didn't expect the brewery and the IMAX theater. I was happy to at least see an MDR. After all the other builds where the MDR was de-emphasized I was happy to see Carnival kept the MDRs.

Speaking of MDR's, I don't mind the tablecloths being taken away some nights. Having water on the table, and a newer menu isn't a terrible thing. Though I miss the chateaubriand, I really don't miss the Beef Strogonoff and Turkey with Farfalle.

It will be interesting to see .

I think they will be trying to provide a unique experience.

I like the MDR also. I am not much for paid restaurants because if i want to pay for food i would rather go to a unique place in one of the ports and have a special dinner.

I think the MDR food is usually just fine. I will be on the glory in a few months and i am hoping that the food is still good, i am sure they are trying to step up as i have noticed this on my last cruise with them. The service was very Good and the food was good also.:)

When are these ships going to be launched?

I haven't heard about them.

Do you know if they will be home in a Florida Port?

I think what you will see is A LOT more cabins and A LOT more passengers.

I have some links. They are planned for 2020 and 2022. They are slated to be LNG powered and 180,000 tons. They are expected to carry 5,200. This is close to the passenger to ton ratio of 34.6 tons per passenger, which is a little more than Vista at 33.93 and identical to the Dream class - also at 34.6. The most tons per passenger is 41.6 found on the Spirit Class, followed by the Splendor Class, Conquest, and Triumph classes https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/09/06/carnival-cruise-ship-order/89901984/

Supposedly a model was spied that could be the new ships. The model was named Carnival Reflection. http://cruisecapital.co.uk/is-this-carnivals-new-180000-gt-cruise-ship/

I don't know if it was a confirmation of a Port Canaveral location, but in a news article explaining an expansion of the Port Canaveral terminal the LNG ships are named as a possible port. https://www.cruisehive.com/new-cruise-terminal-for-port-canaveral-could-open-in-2019/17572

So I think you think Royal is amazing....right? It's starting to come thru loud and clear. For the record, I can think of many drawbacks to the Oasis class.....and cutbacks. Not sure what your post has to do with the subject matter tho????

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A little too much Kool-Aid today mate? Funny...how many people make comments that are off topic but you continue to pick on my posts. I see why they have an ignore list on this board. You must be on a few. Carnival is great, Royal is great, they both have pros & cons. I expect you've earned a few 'ships on a stick' and they're on your 'I love me wall'.

A little too much Kool-Aid today mate? Funny...how many people make comments that are off topic but you continue to pick on my posts. I see why they have an ignore list on this board. You must be on a few. Carnival is great, Royal is great, they both have pros & cons. I expect you've earned a few 'ships on a stick' and they're on your 'I love me wall'.

I have a few, but not sure that counts as a cutback. People post and people comment that is what they do here. If me asking questions offends, that is not the intent. Just commenting on what I observed. Not sure how I would know if I were in an ignore list, I have never used it. How many are on yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some posters like to only look at things they see as a negative and list their long list of their perceived "cutbacks". Other posters like to only look at things they see as a positive and can list an equally long list of their perceived "additions". A few others are like me, in the middle, and we see all the things on both lists as "changes" and we know that changes are simply a fact of life. Some changes affect us not others and some affect others and not us. It is up to us to choose a cruise that best fits our wants and needs for the vacations we are planning. It is not up to the cruise line to meet each of our personal wants and needs for our vacation....that is impossible and that is why we have choices. Cruise lines will make changes for different reasons like cost savings, market changes, and quite simply a changing society. If that change doesn't please you, then it is up to you make the change to another cruise line that better fits your wants/needs.

I am not cruise line loyal. I have a hard time understanding those that are and then complain when then their cruise line changes and is no longer "loyal" to them. News flash....they were never loyal to you. It is more accurate to say they are loyal to a target market and to their stock holders. Changes may happen to that target market and when the cruise line changes to accommodate those changes or they make a change to create savings due to a changing economy you may no longer be part of that target market. It's not personal people. It's business. Get over it and chose a line that better suites you now. Chances are that new line will eventually make changes too and then you may need to change again.

I personally prefer to look at each vacation separately and choose the SHIP not the cruise line that best fits my needs knowing that change is a constant and if I sailed that line before I need to do my research and NOT assume what was offered before on that line is the same they are offering today. This keeps my expectations of what I am purchasing in line with what I actually purchase when choosing a ship to sail. So far I've been on 4 lines. Mostly on Carnival just because they have meet our needs the majority of the time. I am more than willing to try any line that fits what we want out of our vacation. I know some people will say they like the comfort of sailing on the line that they know and don't like change. But like I said change is a constant whether you sail the same line or adventure out to others. If you stay on the same line and they change in ways that cause you distress, don't you think that maybe you might be happier searching out a new line that better fits your needs and wants today??? JS.

Y'all are late for Testy Tuesday. That was yesterday. Today is Web Peace Wednesday. LOL

I'm singing kumbaya but I doubt I will be getting any Christmas cards in the Mail from some posters

Edited by jimbo5544

I have some links. They are planned for 2020 and 2022. They are slated to be LNG powered and 180,000 tons. They are expected to carry 5,200. This is close to the passenger to ton ratio of 34.6 tons per passenger, which is a little more than Vista at 33.93 and identical to the Dream class - also at 34.6. The most tons per passenger is 41.6 found on the Spirit Class, followed by the Splendor Class, Conquest, and Triumph classes https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/09/06/carnival-cruise-ship-order/89901984/

Supposedly a model was spied that could be the new ships. The model was named Carnival Reflection. http://cruisecapital.co.uk/is-this-carnivals-new-180000-gt-cruise-ship/

I don't know if it was a confirmation of a Port Canaveral location, but in a news article explaining an expansion of the Port Canaveral terminal the LNG ships are named as a possible port. https://www.cruisehive.com/new-cruise-terminal-for-port-canaveral-could-open-in-2019/17572

thanks this looks exciting maybe there will be a couple more options out of florida hope it will be 7 night cruises. I don't like 3 or 4 night as well. 2020

As to cut backs. I took my first cruise in 2010 on carnival and have since taken a total of 10 with 2 more booked.

I first want to say that I have never had a bad cruise. they have all been great.

During my short time cruising I have seen some services removed but I have seen many improvements as well.

I think that the carnival provides a super value for what I pay.

The overall experience on a cruise imo has changed very little.

• 3 weeks later...
Nice post and well thought out, thanks for the reply. While I understand and agree with many of your thoughts, I guess I would say that interpretation, yours, or mine, or anyone as a Carnival cruiser is simply just that. I have never had reservations about cabin servicing and in fact only been asked once. We were asked morning, evening or both and we replied (actually my wife did) morning (I would have said both) and we ended up getting what I interpreted as the same service (morning cleaning and evening refresh, towels and turn down). Point is I think your view of it making you feel guilty, especially when it seems to mean a lot is more on you than the cruise line (my advice,not asked for but...would be if it's important, ask for it).

Of course Carnival has had cutbacks ALL cruise lines have. If you doubt that, run over to NCL or Royal threads and see much of the same as here. I think Carnival provides a very good product at a good price that we think it the best that fits for us, your opinion may vary. At any rate, thanks for taking the time to reply to my question, your initial post left me not understanding what you meant and you def answered that. Happy cruising.

I have sailed Carnival 19 times. All of them were wonderful!!! Anytime I'm on a cruise and not at work, is wonderful. So you stay off Carnival and work instead while I enjoy the fun, sun, and relaxation of a cruise on CARNIVAL as often as I can.

Going on Carnival Breeze to Caribbean in October 2017 and Carnival Splendor to Hawaii in January 2019.

BTW: I have also cruised NCL and RC, both were nice but not much different from Carnival.

I have sailed Carnival 19 times. All of them were wonderful!!! Anytime I'm on a cruise and not at work, is wonderful. So you stay off Carnival and work instead while I enjoy the fun, sun, and relaxation of a cruise on CARNIVAL as often as I can.

Going on Carnival Breeze to Caribbean in October 2017 and Carnival Splendor to Hawaii in January 2019.

BTW: I have also cruised NCL and RC, both were nice but not much different from Carnival.

LOL, I am fine with the Carnival product, just got off of the Pride (our third Carnival cruise in the last 7 months) and had a fantastic cruise.

Carnival really dumbed down their product when uncle bob left, but I actually feel the product has improved in the past two or three years. True, they are testing the waters with once a day service, but the live entertainment is back in the lounges and the pool decks.

On the other hand, we feel RCCL has really gone down hill over the past three years.

I think we still prefer Royal for the ships and the shows, but not willing to pay much of a premium as Carnival provides a "funner" atmosphere.

Okay. Here's my two cents for what they're worth (maybe nothing at all).

My Dad tried to get us to visit Alaska a la carte--as in book hotels, "middling" restaurants, locations, rental car, parking, etc. to see if it was cheaper to visit this way.

Two words: No. Dice.

No matter complaints, this is the best value for the money. Are there things missing from when we cruised in 2010? Yup. Is that going to impact us or our cruising experience? Nope.

Here's why:

1. I am on a freaking floating hotel. For a room with a balcony and view of the shore/ocean for 7 days it would cost a minimum of $200 in California. I paid $1,634 for each ticket. Already this costs $1400 here. And don't argue that you can find "cheaper hotels." You totally can. They stink. I've stayed in them while visiting Venice Beach.

2. I get food. "All I can eat" food. To eat like this at the Golden Corral in San Bernardino is about $10. Then adjust for tip et all. Now do this three times for 7 days. Now it's $70 a person. So $140. And this is the meaning of crap food.

3. I get food in the MDR that is pretty good (for me it's great...and before you judge, I've eaten and rated Michelin Star restaurants...not being uppity but giving perspective). So a good meal where I can get as much as I want that includes choices like lamb chops, escargot, and the like for 7 days is...entitled? No. Shuck the entitlement. This would be--in California--$600 for two people plus tip. But let's be ding dongs and not include the tip for argumentative reasons. So 2 people @ $600 for 7 days = Do the math.

4. Parking, right? Live in California. $40 a night along the beach. And this is being "nice." 7 days? $280.

I could go on and on and on. And you can totally find stuff cheaper in Alaska but not by much. There are places that charge so much they make California blush. All in all, it was cheaper to take an Alaskan cruise with Carnival than arrange everything ourselves. I am getting a balcony, entertainment 24/7, food all the time, stops in places planes sometimes cannot even fly into, etc.

Will I miss certain things? Yup. But I tell you this. I will ask my stateroom attendant what time is BEST for him/her. If my cruise doesn't use tablecloths? Who cares? The best restaurants in Cali don't do it either. And if I don't get "the best service" then I will just compare it to California. I get service like people speak of when I pay $500 a plate.

And for those who will be asking "If it's your 10th anniversary, why didn't you choose a different cruise line?": I didn't because I enjoy Carnival. I like the weirdness of the decor; I like the price (obviously); I like the ship design because I know it (biased, of course since I have nothing to compare it to); I like the price (I mentioned this already...but!).

Again, this is my own two pennies. Rub them together and you can totally heat a tiny portion of a stateroom. As in an inch.

Okay. Here's my two cents for what they're worth (maybe nothing at all).

My Dad tried to get us to visit Alaska a la carte--as in book hotels, "middling" restaurants, locations, rental car, parking, etc. to see if it was cheaper to visit this way.

Two words: No. Dice.

No matter complaints, this is the best value for the money. Are there things missing from when we cruised in 2010? Yup. Is that going to impact us or our cruising experience? Nope.

Here's why:

1. I am on a freaking floating hotel. For a room with a balcony and view of the shore/ocean for 7 days it would cost a minimum of $200 in California. I paid $1,634 for each ticket. Already this costs $1400 here. And don't argue that you can find "cheaper hotels." You totally can. They stink. I've stayed in them while visiting Venice Beach.

2. I get food. "All I can eat" food. To eat like this at the Golden Corral in San Bernardino is about $10. Then adjust for tip et all. Now do this three times for 7 days. Now it's $70 a person. So $140. And this is the meaning of crap food.

3. I get food in the MDR that is pretty good (for me it's great...and before you judge, I've eaten and rated Michelin Star restaurants...not being uppity but giving perspective). So a good meal where I can get as much as I want that includes choices like lamb chops, escargot, and the like for 7 days is...entitled? No. Shuck the entitlement. This would be--in California--$600 for two people plus tip. But let's be ding dongs and not include the tip for argumentative reasons. So 2 people @ $600 for 7 days = Do the math.

4. Parking, right? Live in California. $40 a night along the beach. And this is being "nice." 7 days? $280.

I could go on and on and on. And you can totally find stuff cheaper in Alaska but not by much. There are places that charge so much they make California blush. All in all, it was cheaper to take an Alaskan cruise with Carnival than arrange everything ourselves. I am getting a balcony, entertainment 24/7, food all the time, stops in places planes sometimes cannot even fly into, etc.

Will I miss certain things? Yup. But I tell you this. I will ask my stateroom attendant what time is BEST for him/her. If my cruise doesn't use tablecloths? Who cares? The best restaurants in Cali don't do it either. And if I don't get "the best service" then I will just compare it to California. I get service like people speak of when I pay $500 a plate.

And for those who will be asking "If it's your 10th anniversary, why didn't you choose a different cruise line?": I didn't because I enjoy Carnival. I like the weirdness of the decor; I like the price (obviously); I like the ship design because I know it (biased, of course since I have nothing to compare it to); I like the price (I mentioned this already...but!).

Again, this is my own two pennies. Rub them together and you can totally heat a tiny portion of a stateroom. As in an inch.

I agree with you ,

I have found cruising is much less expensive.

I like Carnival and Royal Caribbean. In every instance of our vacationing it has always been less expensive to cruise. We love it.

We cruise Carnival because we have a great time at a great price! But as always a cruise no matter what line , is only as good as you make it.

On our last two cruises the entertainment was phenomenal. We were just blown away with the dancers and the kind of entertainment that was performed, we had never seen such before.

A cabin is a cabin, I have been in a grand suite on Conquest, a junior suite on Splendor, an extended balcony, a balcony and several different ocean views. And guess what- I sleep just fine in all of them. I've participated in cabin crawls and bar crawls, Mardi Gras teams, line dancing and trying to hypnotize me ( didn't work), all were fun. I also sit by the serenity pool listen to music and read my kindle. It's all what you put into it and the activities you want to participate in.

So as for me and my hubby, we are sticking with CARNIVAL [emoji924]

• 2 weeks later...

I am a fan of rcl too. However with the venues such as Guys Burgers and the Mexican Cantina i found them equal to if not on some things superior to RCL.

I've never had Mexican on RCL, so I can't compare. However with the loss of the Wok, I hardly see the Blue Iguana as an upgrade. Dining on land for Mongolian, is likely going to cost you more money than tacos and burritos. Maybe that's less true for those outside the Southwest, or outside the US, but it still seems like the cruise line is saving money with the "upgrade".

If Carnival ever introduces "Rachel Ray's Mac N' Cheese counter", consider what you're losing first. :confused:

I've never had Mexican on RCL, so I can't compare. However with the loss of the Wok, I hardly see the Blue Iguana as an upgrade. Dining on land for Mongolian, is likely going to cost you more money than tacos and burritos. Maybe that's less true for those outside the Southwest, or outside the US, but it still seems like the cruise line is saving money with the "upgrade".

If Carnival ever introduces "Rachel Ray's Mac N' Cheese counter", consider what you're losing first. :confused:

Not all ships lost their Wok to gain Blue Iguana.

And Mexican on Royal is an extra fee restaurant.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Of course, this is your opinion....we too were very "disappointed" with the Vista....worst ship we have ever been on...awful atrium all to fit in more passenger cabins....very plastic, awful décor....the only and I mean ONLY saving grace was our stupendous CD, Matt Mitchum....not even remotely interested in trying the new Horizon due to the cheapness and terrible design flaws on Vista (theatre with movable seats and vision obstructions everywhere, too small of a venue for the comedians....basically a very cheaply decorated ship to us).

So as you see, we all have our own opinions of what we consider 'good values' and 'great ships'!

Totally agree with you!

Like so so many other things on Royal.

Did you see on the Royal Board where on the Harmony Of The Seas, they are "test implementing" that all in the cabin over 21 will have to purchase the Open Bar beverage package?