Prescription Medications in Carry-on bag

Gampy1967

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/is-it-legal-to-have-pills-outside-of-the-prescript-1674902.html

This is the best that I can give you. AVVO is a trusted lawyer site.

But I am not a lawyer. I am on the medicine side. It's not my expertise to cite you the statute. It is my job to prevent my pts from dying and understanding how to transport their medication that m clinic prescribes for them.

This link is no longer active and does not lead you to any information concerning carrying of prescription drugs. To put this in perspective if you removed the medication from one of your prescription bottles and refilled it with a different medication this would be no different then carrying the medication in a ziplock baggie. Unless it is a controlled substance I can't imagine that it would be any worse to carry medication in a weekly medication planner and maybe have a print out from your doctor showing your current ordered prescriptions so that if there is ever a question they can identify the medication and prove it is on your list. The exception to this is controlled substances. There are dogs who can smell these. Carry any controlled substance in the original container and be aware that container had better indicate that the medication was ordered for you and not another person.

All this being said to avoid any delays or questions I went ahead and carried most of my medications in prescription bottles with the original printed prescription. But I don't think it would matter most of the time.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Forums mobile app

I've been to Europe several times & South America & always use daily pill containers.

Even for 3 weeks plus.

Never a problem.

They have bigger fish to catch than me with my diabetes, etc. meds.

Nice post !

As of now, me thinks if they want to take away all my meds, I'm okay.

I don't bring enough drugs to sell.

BTW, I have the UBP !

If THEY want my "drugs" they can stick 'em....

I'm on vacation.

Edited by $hip$hape

There was a very heated post about this very same topic last year, with everyone debating what is ok and why isn’t. My opinion is this: Always carry your prescriptions in their original containers with the prescription label on them when driving, or entering / leaving a country. There are so many reasons why this would only help you and never hurt you. If you are traveling across international lines, and are bringing a controlled substance, and you are lucky enough the be the recipient of a random search, or a narcotics K9 sits down next to you indicating the presence of narcotics, if you do not have the original bottle, the pills can be seized and you can be arrested. In some countries, it is against the law to bring some controlled substances even with a prescription.

With that being said, I used to carry my pills with me in a plastic baggie on the ship and keep the days worth of pills in my pocket. I never had a problem, but became aware of what could happen after speaking with a police officer about it. I prefer to play it safe and play by the rules these days rather than take my chances and hope it won’t be an issue. Hope this helps.

-Keith

Consult a lawyer. I am not a lawyer. I am just telling you what cops and lawyers whom I work with tell me. I've seen people prosecuted for it. My attending physicians testify in court against the defendant.

It's really up to you. Create whatever reasoning you want as long as you are willing to accept the consequences. We all are adults. I will not be there walking with you so it really is no sweat off of my back.

And the link works for me. Try again.

the link above works fine for me as well.

Bottom line - almost everyone has no problem taking pills out of original container.

AND - you can run into trouble if you do it.

Chances are slim, but do as you feel.

Farts link worked for me too.

i found this there = Billie Renee Morelli

Billie Renee Morelli

5.0 stars 8 reviews

Criminal Defense Attorney | Concrete, WA

Reveal number

Private message

Posted on Apr 9, 2014

I just had this charge dismissed for a client this morning. The law is NOT that all prescription drugs must be in their original containers. The law IS that all "controlled substances" be in their original containers. Not all prescription drugs are controlled substances (this is one of those time the legal word makes up their own definitions for words).

Bottom line - almost everyone has no problem taking pills out of original container.

exactly how I feel.

Farts link worked for me too.

i found this there = Billie Renee Morelli

Billie Renee Morelli

5.0 stars 8 reviews

Criminal Defense Attorney | Concrete, WA

Reveal number

Private message

Posted on Apr 9, 2014

I just had this charge dismissed for a client this morning. The law is NOT that all prescription drugs must be in their original containers. The law IS that all "controlled substances" be in their original containers. Not all prescription drugs are controlled substances (this is one of those time the legal word makes up their own definitions for words).

there you go. But also there is maritime law and international law in effect here, which IDK.

My 13 year old son takes a prescription that is a controlled substance, and we are taking a Mediterranean cruise next month. He traveled to China and Hong Kong this past April (via plane) with his school and his meds needed to be in the original bottle. For good measure, I had his prescriptions printed out just in case. The tour manager (who handled all meds) was never asked about them, etc but we all felt better with her having the documentation just in case. I will be doing the same for this trip. IMO it doesn't hurt to be prepared. This way, if we get asked about them, we have the documentation to prove they are legal and prescribed to him for a reason.

Kerry

My 13 year old son takes a prescription that is a controlled substance, and we are taking a Mediterranean cruise next month. He traveled to China and Hong Kong this past April (via plane) with his school and his meds needed to be in the original bottle. For good measure, I had his prescriptions printed out just in case. The tour manager (who handled all meds) was never asked about them, etc but we all felt better with her having the documentation just in case. I will be doing the same for this trip.

IMO it doesn't hurt to be prepared. This way, if we get asked about them, we have the documentation to prove they are legal and prescribed to him for a reason.

Kerry

Reminds me,

Going through airport security a few weeks ago, a woman started screaming,

"They won't let my autistic son take his meds onto the plane!"

Her son and herself got on OUR flight. It was held up at the gate about 15 minutes before they eventually got to their seats.