First time cruisers with lots of questions

laomaktk

Make sure you take a power strip because you will only have one outlet in your room.

Enjoy your cruise!

That is the single most helpful thing I learned when I was a newbie. I never would have guested it in a million years. I would add, make sure it isn't a surge protector. Those are not allowed.

We have sailed out of Charleston many, many times and on Ecstasy. The port is not "friendly" to park...quite an ordeal to finally get to the ship. We always get the Internet package for the five day cruise as it is cheaper. Elegant night will be the first sea day night. My son cruises with us once a year and never minds wearing a tie. Yes, lemonade is free. We will be on Ecstasy in February...the ship was refit last year. Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't use your individual mug to fill it at the drinking station tho. That is how germs are spread. I wince every time I see it.
I knew when I suggested taking a travel mug for lemonade that someone would say this. I'm not here to lecture adults like they're my kid. Carnival often puts signs on the machines instructing passengers to use a clean glass to refill. I'm entrusting the OP to be able to read said sign.

Thanks but no. I will continue to do what is right, not what I can get away with or what fits my fancy at the moment.
Carnival lists clothing items that are "Not permitted" on elegant nights and polo shirts are not on that list, so who's to say it's wrong to wear one? Edited by Organized Chaos

I knew when I suggested taking a travel mug for lemonade that someone would say this. I'm not here to lecture adults like they're my kid. Carnival often puts signs on the machines instructing passengers to use a clean glass to refill. I'm entrusting the OP to be able to read said sign.

Carnival lists clothing items that are "Not permitted" on elegant nights and polo shirts are not on that list, so who's to say it's wrong to wear one?

They don't prohibit PJs or a bathrobe. Is it ok to wear those? Of course not. Why? Because they are not slacks with a dress shirt, just as a polo isn't a dress shirt. Something doesn't have to be included on a list of prohibited items when the allowed items are described.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

just as a polo isn't a dress shirt.
That's according to you. But by the sounds of it, Carnival doesn't agree with you. So the real question is, why does someone else's attire in the MDR bother you so much? If I'm all dressed up for elegant night and I see someone sit down wearing a polo shirt, I won't give it a second look. A second later I'll turn back to my table and enjoy my evening. Unless they're disrupting the room, they're polo shirt isn't going to affect my dining experience.

Apart from the usual arguments about what constitutes a proper shirt for elegant night... you can reasonably decide that for your family, just keep it tasteful :)

My favorite/most useful hints are...

1) If you get bored with lemonade, you make Arnold Palmers (free) by mixing half and half lemonade and ice-tea over ice.

2) Before you leave, go to a dollar store and buy some magnetic clips. The cabin's walls are magnetic. You can use them to safely store drink coupons, schedules, excursion tickets, or whatever on the wall where you can see them, but not lose them on the desk.

3) I am sure you have already seen this somewhere, but in the main dining room, you are not limited in how many entrees to order. If you see more than one thing on the menu that look good, go for it!

4) Room service is free, but for some reason, pre-paid gratuities don't cover the server for room service(or so I've been told). If you order in your room, just have a small tip ready.

That's according to you. But by the sounds of it, Carnival doesn't agree with you. So the real question is, why does someone else's attire in the MDR bother you so much? If I'm all dressed up for elegant night and I see someone sit down wearing a polo shirt, I won't give it a second look. A second later I'll turn back to my table and enjoy my evening. Unless they're disrupting the room, they're polo shirt isn't going to affect my dining experience.

I find it objectionable in principle because it is a reflection of the "dumbing down" of America...where we cater to the lowest common denominator. But I will not go into politics and simply say for cruise purposes, manners and decorum seem to be flying out the window. I disagree with lowering the bar and saying that well, Carnival won't prevent the polo so it's ok. I don't agree with that philosophy.

What's next? Bathrobe and PJs? They aren't specifically prohibited items. I am all for a pair of blue jeans and feel there is certainly a time and a place for true casual, but there should also be a place for smart casual (kakhis and a polo), elegant dress (suits) and formal (tux).... (personal footnote: this structure appears to be the "modern" understanding though it is a full step down from traditional requirements). This clothing issue is a slippery slope - a polo is OK (it's not a prohibited item), jeans are ok (even though they are prohibited on elegant nights) why not my PJs or robe - after all it is my vacation and I wanna relax, right? Where do you draw the line when the line has been provided and people continue to ignore it or re-write it for their own purposes and to suit their desires?

Is the polo going to bother me? Only in the sense that it takes away from any elegance of the evening. There is such a thing as ambiance and a polo just doesn't fit with the targeted ambiance. But it is a great stride better than the sweaty dirty baseball on men that have clearly not showered since spending the day in the sun and at the pool, and my personal favorite, the male tank top at the dining room table. Sorry but I do not wish to stare at the tufts of pit hair as I eat my meal.

Hope that explains my position.

I find it objectionable in principle because it is a reflection of the "dumbing down" of America.

You really judge how intelligent a person is by what they wear? You're missing out on a large and great segment of our society.

To the OP, notwithstanding any internet arguments, a polo shirt and slacks are fine for elegant night. He will not look out of place at all. Everyone can have their own opinion on whether that is appropriate or not but he would be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carnival lists clothing items that are "Not permitted" on elegant nights and polo shirts are not on that list, so who's to say it's wrong to wear one?

This is a first times thread. This is not a question on literacy (although this is a carnival cruise ;)....jk jk I kid). But the OP just doesn't know. What's wrong with informing them with a good piece of advice that can save them from having a bad time. The germs get on the cup, which isn't washed with dish soap and water for an entire week...bacteria will just flourish...and then theres MRSA, c diff, etc.

1qb9yn.jpg

You really judge how intelligent a person is by what they wear? You're missing out on a large and great segment of our society.

Of course not. You clearly don't understand the reference to dumbing down. - it has to do with lowering standards. Watch Idiocracy - its where we are headed. But then again many people just "don't get it."

I find it objectionable in principle because it is a reflection of the "dumbing down" of America...where we cater to the lowest common denominator. But I will not go into politics and simply say for cruise purposes, manners and decorum seem to be flying out the window. I disagree with lowering the bar and saying that well, Carnival won't prevent the polo so it's ok. I don't agree with that philosophy.

What's next? Bathrobe and PJs? They aren't specifically prohibited items. I am all for a pair of blue jeans and feel there is certainly a time and a place for true casual, but there should also be a place for smart casual (kakhis and a polo), elegant dress (suits) and formal (tux).... (personal footnote: this structure appears to be the "modern" understanding though it is a full step down from traditional requirements). This clothing issue is a slippery slope - a polo is OK (it's not a prohibited item), jeans are ok (even though they are prohibited on elegant nights) why not my PJs or robe - after all it is my vacation and I wanna relax, right? Where do you draw the line when the line has been provided and people continue to ignore it or re-write it for their own purposes and to suit their desires?

Is the polo going to bother me? Only in the sense that it takes away from any elegance of the evening. There is such a thing as ambiance and a polo just doesn't fit with the targeted ambiance. But it is a great stride better than the sweaty dirty baseball on men that have clearly not showered since spending the day in the sun and at the pool, and my personal favorite, the male tank top at the dining room table. Sorry but I do not wish to stare at the tufts of pit hair as I eat my meal.

Hope that explains my position.

I didn't think anyone would try to argue that a polo shirt in a cruise ship dining room is a bane of society, but you're giving it your best shot.

Chances are very good that a guy in a polo shirt won't even be in your line of sight while you dine, so I'm not sure how your ambiance is ruined. A vast majority of passengers will still be wearing clothing that meets your personal requirements for elegance. But if there is one and your eyes keep locking onto him in disgust, then aren't you affecting your own night?

Carnival is known to turn away passengers who aren't dressed accordingly, so I'm not even going to entertain your rant about PJ's, robes, and tank tops. If you have a polo and a button-up that look very similar, I don't see how a few extra buttons down the front suddenly makes one shirt acceptable elegant attire and not the other.

Of course not. You clearly don't understand the reference to dumbing down. - it has to do with lowering standards. Watch Idiocracy - its where we are headed. But then again many people just "don't get it."

That movie is no longer a satire and is a documentary.

I didn't think anyone would try to argue that a polo shirt in a cruise ship dining room is a bane of society, but you're giving it your best shot.

Chances are very good that a guy in a polo shirt won't even be in your line of sight while you dine, so I'm not sure how your ambiance is ruined. A vast majority of passengers will still be wearing clothing that meets your personal requirements for elegance. But if there is one and your eyes keep locking onto him in disgust, then aren't you affecting your own night?

Carnival is known to turn away passengers who aren't dressed accordingly, so I'm not even going to entertain your rant about PJ's, robes, and tank tops. If you have a polo and a button-up that look very similar, I don't see how a few extra buttons down the front suddenly makes one shirt acceptable elegant attire and not the other.

Tank tops are VERY relevant. They clearly violate the dress code, yet I have personally observed men eating in the MDR wearing one, as well as baseball caps and other clearly prohibited items. I have also seen people show up to breakfast in the MDR in their robes. The fact that you don't seem to be able to distinguish a soft cotton polo from an oxford or other long sleeve shirt designed to accommodate a tie (aka a dress shirt) merely makes my point....in our society there a complete lack of understanding as to what appropriate dress is and how to follow it. There is a desire to reduce the world to a state of blue jeans and t-shirts that flows right in line with reducing everything to the lowest common denominator. One man wearing a polo becomes 2, then 3 then 4 and 20, 50, 100 and yes, then the atmosphere begins to change. Then you have people wanting to throw in jeans and so on down the chain.

Both DH and I would lose our jobs if we attempted to show up in a polo...it is not appropriate in our careers....because it is not a dress shirt. Plain and simple.

As for other people, and my "keeping my eyes locked on him in disgust," nothing could be farther from the truth....the guy in the tank top had me turning my chair slightly away so I did not have to look directly at his armpit hair as I ate my dinner.

To quote Ron White, "you can't fix stupid."

Tank tops are VERY relevant. They clearly violate the dress code, yet I have personally observed men eating in the MDR wearing one, as well as baseball caps and other clearly prohibited items. I have also seen people show up to breakfast in the MDR in their robes. The fact that you don't seem to be able to distinguish a soft cotton polo from an oxford or other long sleeve shirt designed to accommodate a tie (aka a dress shirt) merely makes my point....in our society there a complete lack of understanding as to what appropriate dress is and how to follow it. There is a desire to reduce the world to a state of blue jeans and t-shirts that flows right in line with reducing everything to the lowest common denominator. One man wearing a polo becomes 2, then 3 then 4 and 20, 50, 100 and yes, then the atmosphere begins to change. Then you have people wanting to throw in jeans and so on down the chain.

Both DH and I would lose our jobs if we attempted to show up in a polo...it is not appropriate in our careers....because it is not a dress shirt. Plain and simple.

As for other people, and my "keeping my eyes locked on him in disgust," nothing could be farther from the truth....the guy in the tank top had me turning my chair slightly away so I did not have to look directly at his armpit hair as I ate my dinner.

Simply a GREAT post!!!! Nice Job (y)

As a man, I would love to wear a very formal dress and sit right next to you in the MDR.

Just some food for thought, those who go around wagging their fingers that they think others are stupid are often overcompensating for their own insecurities.

As a man, I would love to wear a very formal dress and sit right next to you in the MDR.

Just some food for thought, those who go around wagging their fingers that they think others are stupid are often overcompensating for their own insecurities.

Farts, who is wagging their finger....wear a pair of slacks and a collared shirt 2 nights out of 7 if you want to eat in the MDR. That isn't asking a lot. You consider that "very formal" wear? Carnival even bends over backwards to accommodate. They say fine, if you don't want to get dressed up in what is considered "business casual", just go to the Lido deck or order RS those 2 nights....whats the problem?

your whole rant makes you sound so crotchety...like you're wagging your finger at everyone.

I wound love to sit next to you in the MDR dressed like this. It's formal wear after all :')

daniel-tosh-is-gay-crossdresser.jpg

trey-parker-matt-stone.jpg

your whole rant makes you sound so crotchety...like you're wagging your finger at everyone.

I wound love to sit next to you in the MDR dressed like this. It's formal wear after all :')

daniel-tosh-is-gay-crossdresser.jpg

Cross dressing doesn't bother me in the least. You are correct - they are appropriately dressed...especially for Princess. Perhaps even slightly overdressed by the code laid out by Carnival. I particularly like the pink gown.

You are reading crotchety because you want to dismiss me; I'm not grumpy, crotchety, a prude but rather an advocate of the rules. That's all.

I thought this argument was about elegant night attire. They're not allowing tank tops, or robes, in the MDR on elegant night, so they're not relevant to this discussion.

First you argued the polo shirt has changed the ambiance. Now you're saying it will begin to change because 1 will someday grow to 100. Which is it?

The dress code at your place of employment has absolutely nothing to do with Carnival's MDR dress code, but it's obvious you're eager to bring a whole lot of irrelevance into this argument, so why stop now.

To quote Sgt. Hulka from the American classic, Stripes: "Lighten up, Francis."

boards.cruisecritic.com

While the green outfit is a bit of an attention grabber, it is not allowed for Elegant Evening...."no shorts or flip-flops" permitted....pink outfit is more than proper :D

• 5 months later...

I agree with you whole heartedly. I’ve noticed people in the northeast dress more formal everyday as opposed to the left coast. Guess my attitude comes from living in a big city where you go out to eat at a burger joint in jeans and a jacket and tie to a nice diner. Just my opinion but I try not to let others actions affect my and my wife’s good time. If people want to wear something which I deem inappropriate then I just don’t look at them or if it’s that outrageous then I’d report them to a crew member and accept their decision. But I do agree with the spirit of your statement!! I also think others should grow up on this site and stop attacking you for your opinion.

Edited by gailforce2000

Back to your questions

- Lemonade is also available in the dinning room (for free) as well as ice tea. When they use the carafes you can ask the waiter to fill one with the lemonade for your son!

- Definitely bring a (not surge protector) power strip, my boys bring one that has multiple USB outlets so everyone can charge at once.

- I also recommend you sign your son up for camp carnival online, when you are doing your check-in. Some kids will say they don't want to go and ending up wanting to walk-in and can't unless they have your permission. It only takes 2 minutes and it's well worth it. With that I also suggest you tell him on the 1st night they have a meet and greet for his age group.

- As far as phones/electronics go if no one has told you yet, as soon as you leave port put all electronics in airplane mode or you will be hit with a HUGH phone bill!

- On most Carnival ships they now have the HUB app that goes on your phone and if you pay (I think it's) $5 a phone you can text between them so you can locate your child if he is off roaming.

- Before my last comment which I know is a very sore subject on here for some, if you have any other questions about sailing with your son let me know. I have 2 boys (18 & 16) that have been on over 20 cruises each. Check out one of our fun video's

- Without offending others, your son can dress how he and your family feel more comfortable. Living in Florida dress is much more casual then say New York City compared to how they dress in Texas (it is a geographical thing not economical as some may think!) It also depends on how much room you have in your luggage if you have to fly. It is also a VACATION not work and as long as it fits within the guidelines you will not be asked to leave the dinning room.

To the OP, as far as your son is concerned, I have seen the occasional teen who buys or rents a zoot suit to wear on the formal night. I've even been tempted myself! The cruise is supposed to be fun, and I can guarantee he will have an interesting time wearing that.